Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yup, all my cards are paid off monthly. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Do any of you find it easier to disconnect your linked bank account and just enter everything manually once a week or so?

I pay my credit card off every month and I don't want to have a "credit card payments" in my budget. I just want to add the transactions as expenses to my normal categories like Grocery, Auto, etc.

Is there a good YNAB-explained-for-idiots/beginners video somewhere, where it's not just someone talking in front of a white board, but someone actually taking steps within YNAB showing what to do? Thank you

zaurg fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 5, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

zaurg posted:

Do any of you find it easier to disconnect your linked bank account and just enter everything manually once a week or so?

I pay my credit card off every month and I don't want to have a "credit card payments" in my budget. I just want to add the transactions as expenses to my normal categories like Grocery, Auto, etc.

Is there a good YNAB-explained-for-idiots/beginners video somewhere, where it's not just someone talking in front of a white board, but someone actually taking steps within YNAB showing what to do? Thank you

the workshops, my dude. you can ask questions and everything

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

zaurg posted:

I say this all the time but its 100% more annoying for me to do anything manually. I wake up every day, click import, categorize, and thats it. Nothing is 'manual' when you have bills on auto pay, or credit card payments on auto pay. You can minimize the CC category and never look at it, I just glance every now and then to make sure the amount balance in there matches the card balance. You never need to interact with this payments category, its just a temporary holding place for your money that comes out of your regular categories and pools into this category until you pay the balance off (this happens automatically when you categorize transactions).

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Spokes posted:

the workshops, my dude. you can ask questions and everything

Yeah, this. nYNAB from what I hear is a little different than YNAB4 (which I'm still using) but the workshops YNAB offers are very helpful.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

zaurg posted:

I do everything manually - I always have and I like having that visceral control over everything (I understand it's illogical but yaknow). I have used YNAB since I got out of college in 2010 so I'm just used to manual entry. I just don't bother linking accounts. I have my credit card set up in nYNAB and it works like you describe. People here have some issues with it but I never really have. The one thing that I've found causes it to be wonky is refunds to the card. I always "deposit" the refunds to a checking account in YNAB and then immediately transfer that amount to the credit card. Hopefully that makes some sense.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

zaurg posted:

sell your shitcoins

So Long Dental Plan
Jul 10, 2010
How does YNAB compare to other budget software, specifically Buckets? I started using Buckets and like it, but was wondering if YNAB is in some meaningful way superior. I asked this question in the general budget thread but never got an answer.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

So Long Dental Plan posted:

How does YNAB compare to other budget software, specifically Buckets? I started using Buckets and like it, but was wondering if YNAB is in some meaningful way superior. I asked this question in the general budget thread but never got an answer.

From what I tested, buckets is based on forcasting how much you make, while YNAB is about how much money you have in your bank account that day.

YNAB > Buckets

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

OK, nYNAB is really frustrating me with it's convoluted "to be budgeted" fuckery.

I decided to start fresh and also switch my credit card accounts over to checking accounts. Completely clean slate, no transactions before this month, everything should be brand new. Now for some reason I cannot get the "To Be Budgeted" amount to make any sense to me. After doing a lot of math and detective work, I realized that it's off by exactly the amount of my total activity of transactions for the month. I conceptualized "To Be Budgeted" as the amount of cash I had in all of my accounts, but it seems like it actually adds up all of your available cash as well as the categories that have transaction sin them that you haven't balanced yet...is that right?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

To Be Budgeted = All cash across your On-Budget accounts - any money that isn't assigned as Budgeted.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

To Be Budgeted = All cash across your On-Budget accounts - any money that isn't assigned as Budgeted.

Not quite

All cash in your on budget accounts
- all money that has been budgeted into categories
- overspending in any categories

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Today is my last day of YNAB. It was a great 3 months.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

OK, nYNAB is really frustrating me with it's convoluted "to be budgeted" fuckery.

I decided to start fresh and also switch my credit card accounts over to checking accounts. Completely clean slate, no transactions before this month, everything should be brand new. Now for some reason I cannot get the "To Be Budgeted" amount to make any sense to me. After doing a lot of math and detective work, I realized that it's off by exactly the amount of my total activity of transactions for the month. I conceptualized "To Be Budgeted" as the amount of cash I had in all of my accounts, but it seems like it actually adds up all of your available cash as well as the categories that have transaction sin them that you haven't balanced yet...is that right?

Think of it in terms of real world envelopes. Imagine dumping all your cash onto the kitchen table. This is your To Be Budgeted pile. Its not meant to sit here, its just an unorganized, temporary holding place while you move money from the table into your envelopes. Ideally it should be at $0 all the time. When you make some money or cash a paycheck, you might temporarily dump all that new money onto your table again (to be budgeted) and then you'll move them again to envelopes.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Oh yeah, I get that. My issue is that the amount it's stating I have to be budgeted is not the same as the amount I know I have in my budget accounts. Even after setting all available amounts to zero I still can't make the math work. I just want to get it to a point where I can have those two numbers be the same so that I can be confident that every dollar is truly accounted for and given a job.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

Oh yeah, I get that. My issue is that the amount it's stating I have to be budgeted is not the same as the amount I know I have in my budget accounts. Even after setting all available amounts to zero I still can't make the math work. I just want to get it to a point where I can have those two numbers be the same so that I can be confident that every dollar is truly accounted for and given a job.

Might have already checked this, but when you have credit cards as a checking account, the negative balance they have detracts from your To Be Budgeted. If you are then budgeting to pay the balance on the cards, you're technically double-dipping and your amounts won't match.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
YNAB announced a public API.

quote:

The current version of the API ("v1") is mostly read-only and only supports GET requests. A notable exception to this is the Transactions endpoint which also allows POST and PUT requests.

Fairly limited at the moment, you can either read stuff or add transactions.

I'm very surprised by this announcement. They've always come across as wanting you to do tings their one true way....

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

What better way is there to get new features into their product without paying to expand their development team?

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Xik posted:

YNAB announced a public API.

Fairly limited at the moment, you can either read stuff or add transactions.

I'm very surprised by this announcement. They've always come across as wanting you to do things their one true way....

This makes me mad. I get it, you raised prices. You got staff, and you need to pay them. Fine.

But to up the price to 85.00 a year AND have your customers spend their own free time to improve your product while you rip the rewards is just plain saying "I am a greedy fucker".

Then again ... it seems that YNAB is becoming a cult, there are people out there totally ready to pay to be developers.

I want to point out - You are a fool if you think YNAB won't be stealing ideas/codes.

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 21, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'd be mad if I didn't love using YNAB so much.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

TraderStav posted:

I'd be mad if I didn't love using YNAB so much.

I don't really have an issue with this? I'd prefer they make excellent software and sell it cheap but since they're determined to not do either of those things, i don't mind that they're letting developers who can find their rear end with both hands get involved. i'm sure the best features will be rolled into next year's release to justify the next price hike, but that's the game we're playing now so i guess take it or leave it (or switch to financier).

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'd be mad but I can't muster the energy to care about something I pay like $49 for per year.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I guess the most cynical interpretation is that they are trying to get "free" dev resources, but the reality is that a thrown together integration by a hobbyist is hardly going to be dumped into their commercial product. It doesn't make sense from a QA, maintainability and legal perspective.

If I develop an app and use your api, I license the code however I like, it could be proprietary or under the GPL. They could cut me off (revoke key etc) or put something in the TOS to explicitly say "don't do that", but they can't use and integrate the software unless they abide by the original license.

My day job is creating ~pretty~ public web apis for a backend system with decades of technical debt, it can be a mine field and requires non-trivial developer effort to create and maintain. I've been critical of nYNAB in the past (I think for valid reasons), but I think having a public api is cool and good.

I'm not sure it's the thing that makes us finally migrate over from 4, but I can imagine a Telegram bot for Wife and I, when we are discussing going out for dinner later we could ping the bot for eating out budget. Or if we link an interesting board game, see how long until the budget says yes. Not exactly a killer feature (could just open the app etc), but little things like this that are fun.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Think of the reporting engines that could be created!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it's already insane what the toolkit for ynab crew is able to accomplish

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

God dammit how did I just now find that you can right click on an upcoming scheduled transaction and hit "enter now." I've been changing dates and re-making scheduled transactions when I pay earlier than the date for years.

e: I actually don't know if that's YNAB or a toolkit feature, but either way I love it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Anybody try out budgetwise yet? It's finally in early access.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

greazeball posted:

$100 for lifetime membership. I'd be all over that in an instant if YNAB offered it.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

greazeball posted:

This is the first I've heard of this but if the home page is anything to go by, it looks like a decent YNAB replacement with much lower pricing, I'll try out a free trial when I get home tonight and report back.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It definitely has potential, but currently a bunch of weird quirks. It does have a three month view, though. Counting down the time until YNAB does one. And it carries over negative budget categories (currently every category, but AFAIK it is eventually supposed to work like the red arrow).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 27, 2018

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Budgetwise website was pretty slow and didn't quite feel right yet. I'll give it a few months and try back.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

greazeball posted:

I made an account, its as basic as you can get. However, the owner warned us about this and is pretty much using as his bug reporter.
He has a lot planned and is working hard to get those features out. Also, he is very responsive. It has only been two days, let us see what it's like in a week or two. :3

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Dev said if you register an account you'll always have access to the ea prices so might as well register.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Harminoff posted:

Dev said if you register an account you'll always have access to the ea prices so might as well register.

Good to know. Registering an account for if (when) YNAB4 bites the dust.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Anything neat in the API stuff so far? I forgot to turn off auto-renew because i'm a moron, so i'm on YNAB for another year

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Could someone export some entries from YNAB4 and let me see the cfv file? I've been using Financier and I want to import my register into budgetwise but I need to slightly edit the poo poo in this because it's not exactly the same.

Just the column headers and couple transactions, some reconciled, some not, is all I really need.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

So whatever happened with budgetwise.io, did it fizzle?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's mostly functional. The guy is occupied with bank sync, which per YNAB seems to be a huge mess. And apparently he needs to change a bunch of more things under the hood.

Someone on reddit asked something similar (maybe it was you), the dev posted that:

quote:

Hey sorry about that! It has indeed been quiet, but as I mentioned in my last tweet its due to being heads-down and focusing on getting the bank sync and a few other features wrapped up. There is a lot that's changing under the hood to make sure the budget numbers don't break anymore, and making everything near-instant. There's a big focus on improving the current user experience while making these changes as well, and that means more fluid workflows when budgeting, adding transactions, or even something as simple as updating a credit card. I am going to be writing a blog post in a few days detailing some of the things that are being worked on, but it will probably continue to be quiet for at least another week or so.

There are now 3 part-time developers helping me out so bug fixes and development updates will come out in larger, more frequent batches. Thanks for sticking this quiet period out with me, and keep an eye out for the next update!

PS Definitely not pulling a Financier. I already have what many would consider a dream job, and if anything I have more free time now than this time last year when we had a brand new baby to cater to haha :) Very excited for what's coming, and can't wait to show you as well

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Bank sync seems like an expensive waste of time imo, recurring/split transactions and off budget accounts are way more important. And some nice looking reports, I've been using Financier for the last year and I really miss useful reports.

Like literally every single YNAB alternative so far seems to crap out before getting that basic functionality in.

The second budgetwise gets the above poo poo I'll buy a lifetime membership.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's what people are clamoring for, it appears. I don't understand it either, since a budget really only works if you're actively dealing with it.