Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shoehead posted:

It's cool to see that charms do extra stuff when equipped together. This game is so drat good, it's just a shame I had to beat up a cool guy who I wanted to be friends with for this one charm.

I mean the guy was clearly having a great time engaging in glorious combat so it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The gravekeeper by the resting grounds was specifically like "don't cause trouble" and i imagine that doing it would Aggro him. I haven't done it tho I was happy letting them rest. so I think it's not great when you nail a ghost.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bogart posted:

The gravekeeper by the resting grounds was specifically like "don't cause trouble" and i imagine that doing it would Aggro him. I haven't done it tho I was happy letting them rest. so I think it's not great when you nail a ghost.

Phrasing

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Didn't even notice it.

Kids, nail with consent.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Okay, I have to say, I'm impressed with how big this game is.

You are constantly opening new areas and sub areas, plus, they all look and feel very different.
Three areas, City of Tears, Kingdoms Edge and Ancient Basin are all bleak and depressing, but in very different ways.

Add to this all of the bosses so far have been fun as hell and I can honestly say this is one of the few games where I think I paid too little.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I absolutely hate bouncing off the purple things. It feels awful and is so frustrating. Making it so you bounce in a random direction if you hit the wrong part of the ball feels needlessly cruel and lovely.

E: Actually if there is one thing I really hate in this game, it's the way the harder platforming parts are handled. It's not that they are even badly designed, but there are parts that are approaching meat boy levels of pain in the rear end, but instead of getting into a rhythm with it, I just die and have to run for 5 minutes back to where I died and try to fumble through it again. It just feels miserable. At the very least they should just stick a respawning enemy to farm next to each area so you can keep going at it. There are parts I loving dread approaching because of this and it's completely unfun.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 22, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

I absolutely hate bouncing off the purple things. It feels awful and is so frustrating. Making it so you bounce in a random direction if you hit the wrong part of the ball feels needlessly cruel and lovely.

E: Actually if there is one thing I really hate in this game, it's the way the harder platforming parts are handled. It's not that they are even badly designed, but there are parts that are approaching meat boy levels of pain in the rear end, but instead of getting into a rhythm with it, I just die and have to run for 5 minutes back to where I died and try to fumble through it again. It just feels miserable. At the very least they should just stick a respawning enemy to farm next to each area so you can keep going at it. There are parts I loving dread approaching because of this and it's completely unfun.

Re: bouncing off the purple things, attack down

Re: Platforming, I know difficulty is subjective but for me at least all of the really difficult platforming bits did have ways to charge up your soul to heal or a bench or something fairly close by, if not in the middle of the challenge. If you've gotten far enough to get the Dream Nail you can attack any enemies without killing them and charge up soul infinitely, too.

Also if a part is meat boy levels of impossible it's possible you're approaching it incorrectly; the possible mechanics aren't always communicated super clearly (purple things being a case in point) and there are definitely things that are possible to do with difficulty that aren't intended to do.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 22, 2018

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

veni veni veni posted:

At the very least they should just stick a respawning enemy to farm next to each area so you can keep going at it. There are parts I loving dread approaching because of this and it's completely unfun.

They actually literally do this in the one platforming section of the game that's actually hard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

There's one platforming section that actually is Meat Boy-esque and it's required in order to get the true ending. Sorry to ruin your day! :v:

Fortunately, there is a charm that you can pick up that reduces it from a pain in the rear end (in the way you describe it) to merely being a slog to get through. Also it has really pretty music.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugh. Not looking forward to that. I hate ultra hard 2D platforming. Keep that poo poo out of my metroidvanias please. Luckily there have only been 2 parts that I really hated so far.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Picked this up a few days ago for the Switch. Right now my only question is is there any reason to not sell the little journals and stuff you pick up? Are they there to sell or are they for something else

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
They're just for selling.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

An abundance of Geo and compulsive need to collect everything.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

They are for selling, but they're great as emergency funds if you die and couldn't get your geo back. During the period I was dying a lot, they were great but once you get into the groove of the game just sell them when the opportunity comes.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Oh, how I've missed WP discussion :allears: .

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Think my last two bosses are Radiance and Soul Tyrant? Beating Nightmare King Grimm felt like hitting some kind of transcendental state.

Question on Radiance, I haven't actually beaten the hollow knight before -- should i keep attacking instead of dream nailing or am i doing the intended thing? Or are both acceptable? Can't tell if Radiance is supposed to be an extra boss or just the natural progression of that fight.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

Think my last two bosses are Radiance and Soul Tyrant? Beating Nightmare King Grimm felt like hitting some kind of transcendental state.

Question on Radiance, I haven't actually beaten the hollow knight before -- should i keep attacking instead of dream nailing or am i doing the intended thing? Or are both acceptable? Can't tell if Radiance is supposed to be an extra boss or just the natural progression of that fight.

You'll know when to do the special thing. It will be obvious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I cannot figure out how to get to the ancient basin for the life of me.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I cannot figure out how to get to the ancient basin for the life of me.

There is a large portion of City of Tears, with a very open layout that you can't access at the start of the game. If you have access to it, you should explore from there.

Exact directions: So there's this big area in City of Tears, just west of King's Station, with those massive guys with shields that deal double damage. At the Western edge of the area are two exits. The top exit takes you to the rest of the city. The lower exit takes you to where you want to go.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
there are two possible routes into the basin

1) go into deepnest, collect the tram pass (upper side of the map) and use the deepnest tram station (lower right side). the basin is the next stop

2) go to the resting grounds and use the ground slam powerup to smash open a cracked coffin lid. this will let you take a lift into the right side of the city of tears, which is inaccessible if you enter the city through the main gates. at ground level, there's a broken lift shaft you can climb down that eventually leads to the basin

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dancer posted:

Oh, how I've missed WP discussion :allears: .

It'll come again when all these new players get there.

Also reminder: the WP is...

good

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
big white palace & path of pain fan here

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SirSamVimes posted:

It'll come again when all these new players get there.

good

WP was fun as poo poo, low "death" cost, frequent platforms as effective checkpoints, and so many alternate routes with pogo sticking that you always felt like a badass when you pulled off what felt like a speedrun route :allears:

PoP was a little rougher. (at least hiveblood makes the death penalty faster)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

good
PoP on the other hand is...

great

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dancer posted:

There is a large portion of City of Tears, with a very open layout that you can't access at the start of the game. If you have access to it, you should explore from there.

Exact directions: So there's this big area in City of Tears, just west of King's Station, with those massive guys with shields that deal double damage. At the Western edge of the area are two exits. The top exit takes you to the rest of the city. The lower exit takes you to where you want to go.

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

there are two possible routes into the basin

1) go into deepnest, collect the tram pass (upper side of the map) and use the deepnest tram station (lower right side). the basin is the next stop

2) go to the resting grounds and use the ground slam powerup to smash open a cracked coffin lid. this will let you take a lift into the right side of the city of tears, which is inaccessible if you enter the city through the main gates. at ground level, there's a broken lift shaft you can climb down that eventually leads to the basin

Cool. Am I able to go there before I have ground pound? I'm basically just trying to avoid Soul Master for now and I can't figure anywhere else out I can go for the life of me. I feel like I've explored every available option that only requires wall jump and dash (which is all I have) but that can't be right. I've seen people fighting that boss with way more upgrades than I have.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Can’t you also get into the Basin through the sewers?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Nephzinho posted:

You can keep attacking the Hollow Knight as well but things will turn out a little bit differently...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

skasion posted:

Yeah, beating the boss in Royal Waterways gives you access to the busted lift shaft that leads to Ancient Basin.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Cool. Am I able to go there before I have ground pound? I'm basically just trying to avoid Soul Master for now and I can't figure anywhere else out I can go for the life of me. I feel like I've explored every available option that only requires wall jump and dash (which is all I have) but that can't be right. I've seen people fighting that boss with way more upgrades than I have.

you can take the deepnest route into the basin without acquiring the ground pound, yes. no promises it'll be easier than fighting soul master, though, and keep in mind there are one-way drops in deepnest. if you go far enough in you might have to climb back up by a different route, or else accept being stuck for the long haul. I guess what I'm saying is the cure might be worse than the disease, in your case

dash and walljump gets you into the howling cliffs, if you haven't been there already.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

You can also buy the lantern and go to the mines (upper right of the Crossroads).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Your Computer posted:

PoP on the other hand is...

great

:agreed:

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

skasion posted:

I didn't think of it at the time, but you're right. you can crystal dash through the spike pit and cancel it halfway through to drop into the ruined lift shaft.

(you can get into the sewers without having access to the rightmost half of the city, right? I think you can reach the locked manhole as soon as you enter the city through the main gates)

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
God I hate the mines. Specifically, those flying things that shoot out the crystals that grow on the ground. I did successfully acquire the dream nail pretty early on, having only defeated the first boss in Crossroads and Hornet. Anything cool and worthwhile I can do with it this early? Are there any other things I can get relatively early that will better my character especially for bosses? I found one of the special attacks from the howling cliffs and I plan to grind a bit to buy whatever mask shard and vessel fragments I can as well as a few charms.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

To get anything more notable out of it, I believe you need the wall jump (fairly early upgrade spoiler). If you have that, there is something very cool for you to find.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Books On Tape posted:

God I hate the mines. Specifically, those flying things that shoot out the crystals that grow on the ground. I did successfully acquire the dream nail pretty early on, having only defeated the first boss in Crossroads and Hornet. Anything cool and worthwhile I can do with it this early? Are there any other things I can get relatively early that will better my character especially for bosses? I found one of the special attacks from the howling cliffs and I plan to grind a bit to buy whatever mask shard and vessel fragments I can as well as a few charms.

remember the room where you fought the false knight? there's an additional section of it you can reach with walljumping. try going there and looking out for destructible walls, there might be something you can dreamnail for a cool surprise

for future reference, you can deflect the crystal shooters' projectiles by hitting them with your sword. this way you can send them up to grow spikes on the ceiling or wherever so they won't get in your way.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

SirSamVimes posted:

To get anything more notable out of it, I believe you need the wall jump (fairly early upgrade spoiler). If you have that, there is something very cool for you to find.

Yes, I forgot to mention I also got wall jump.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Books On Tape posted:

Yes, I forgot to mention I also got wall jump.

Then yeah, definitely explore the mines more.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

(you can get into the sewers without having access to the rightmost half of the city, right? I think you can reach the locked manhole as soon as you enter the city through the main gates)

I'm trying to think of other ways into the Waterways and I think the only way you can get into the first time is through that manhole. There are a few other routes into the Waterways but I think you can only unlock them all from within the Waterways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Books On Tape posted:

There is no need to grind, friend. Unless you throw geo at the one totally unnecessary expenditure, that is explicitly designed to be a money sink, and that is likely not yet available to you (though it is indeed unlocked by something in howling cliffs), you will be swimming in pools of geo reasonably soon. If you get stuck somewhere, just find another one of the dozen unexplored areas you have available to you, and progress there. Don't lower your spirits by grinding.