Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

botany posted:

okay morathi's start got harder haha. i had barely taken a second city when alith anar came wandering in with a doomstack. i'm gonna have to rethink my early game a lot here. any suggestions?

Exit to the main menu and select Malakith or Hellebron, and confed Morathi easily with her diplo bonus and the fact that Mazdamundi and Alith will keep her weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Morathi would be so much more fun if the AI gave a poo poo about corruption.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Out of all the tw games since medieval 2 this is the one where I'm worst at the actual battles. Like for a big siege where I have oodles of units but very little in the way of ranged/siege weapons, I lose so many more dudes taking the walls and knocking down the gate with my gate attacker units/monsters/whatever than autoresolve it's nuts

I used to play M2 on VH/VH and defeat significantly larger armies or occupying forces with judicious use of archers and charging but I can't seem to do that in TW:W

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Out of all the tw games since medieval 2 this is the one where I'm worst at the actual battles. Like for a big siege where I have oodles of units but very little in the way of ranged/siege weapons, I lose so many more dudes taking the walls and knocking down the gate with my gate attacker units/monsters/whatever than autoresolve it's nuts

I used to play M2 on VH/VH and defeat significantly larger armies or occupying forces with judicious use of archers and charging but I can't seem to do that in TW:W

Minimize your exposure to enemy towers. Group up everyone so you're only taking fire from 1-2 of them, and destroy those with artillery if you have it. Dancing a hero around in circles during the approach to draw ranged/tower fire also helps.

Climbing ladders is okay if you are climbing melee units into enemy ranged units who stand no chance.

Flyers are extremely effective on the walls since they can charge in, deal a ton of damage, and then immediately take off to do it again since they don't get caught in melee during wall combat.

Wind/Vortex magic is usually devastating when you break down the gates and start moving in. The AI tends to clump up a million units to keep you from entering.

If you manage to take the walls, it can be a great idea to send some ranged units up a siege tower to rain fire down on enemies fighting at ground level.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.
If my friend buys Warhammer I on the steam sale and doesn't have II, would he be able to play a Mortal Empires campaign with me if I own both and host?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Also fliers are the only large units that go on walls so they're completely safe from the strongest anti large which is usually large itself like carnosaurs or necrosphinxes. Just watch out for brets who have flying anti large pegasi.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Trampy Vampy posted:

If my friend buys Warhammer I on the steam sale and doesn't have II, would he be able to play a Mortal Empires campaign with me if I own both and host?

Nope, Mortal Empires happens in the WH2 client. Both need both games. Only WH2 for Vortex, obviously.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Asehujiko posted:

Also fliers are the only large units that go on walls so they're completely safe from the strongest anti large which is usually large itself like carnosaurs or necrosphinxes. Just watch out for brets who have flying anti large pegasi.

Yeah, this is where the High elves' eagles really shine. I didn't really get the point of them since they can't really go toe-to-toe with much, but they are pretty great at just destroying units on walls. Charge them from the back, knock off a bunch of units so they fall to the ground and die, then immediately retreat and prepare to do it again.
In field battles I mostly use them for harassing retreating units or occasionally causing morale failures in already engaged enemies.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

ad090 posted:

Exit to the main menu and select Malakith or Hellebron, and confed Morathi easily with her diplo bonus and the fact that Mazdamundi and Alith will keep her weak.

what's the typical hellebron start? i either get continuously hosed by ghrond or by the faction to the east that owns part of my starting area.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Asehujiko posted:

Pegasi are hilariously bad tho and get their lunch eaten by basically any other flying unit.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

botany posted:

what's the typical hellebron start? i either get continuously hosed by ghrond or by the faction to the east that owns part of my starting area.

You should be able to get a nap with the guys to your east so you can focus on taking down ghrond, which yea can be a pita, but once you secure that province you're in a really good spot.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zore posted:

Pegasi are hilariously bad tho and get their lunch eaten by basically any other flying unit.

yeah it's so sad how bad pegasi are. At least the hippo knights keep being buffed

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

botany posted:

Rush Ghrond ASAP. Get a NAP with the Deadwood Sentinels or Ghrond will bring them into the war (they might anyway) but you need Ghrond before doing anything else, including securing your starting province That gold mine is crucial early on since your economy will be rear end. Once you conquer Ghrond, you should be in good shape.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Huh, are blessed spawnings fixed now? Getting a steady stream of quests.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Morathi would be so much more fun if the AI gave a poo poo about corruption.

I wish they could just configure the AI to avoid suffering attrition, either by staying in their settlements or getting into a protected stance.

If that's not possible then just make corruption reduce campaign movement speed to units affected by it. This would give Corruption spreading factions a lot more control in initiating /avoiding combat and would be fun with Morathi since you'd also get roads to boost your own movement.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Trogdos! posted:

Huh, are blessed spawnings fixed now? Getting a steady stream of quests.

I wonder if they are affected by level 10 rank like RoRs.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Dunno how on earth you put Wood Elves and Beastmen at the bottom when those are two of the most fun to play races and they come with a mini campaign of extra content and tons of quest battles

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

Luminous Cow posted:

Beastmen were some of the most fun I've had in campaign. Hit and run when the enemy ain't looking until you're so powerful you just brazenly challenge their best armies and charge at them from three different directions.

I don't know how to play tomb kings. I've tried a couple times and I just can't get a campaign off the ground. I think I'm relying too much on lovely infantry. Are you supposed to bide your time and build tall in one province to get a doom stack going?

You have several answers but the thing about TK is their poo poo is free to recruit and maintain. You should absolutely have the maximum amount of armies at all times even if they're full of garbage. You definitely build copies of recruitment buildings, notably infantry barracks for archers and the Ushbati one. Other than that throw your worthless skellingtons into melee and clean up with archers and chariots early game, then transition to Ushbati and up as you can. Don't worry about skellingtons dying because it costs nothing to re-recruit them.

I think Arkhan or whatever is pretty easy if only because he gets VC units up front to fill out his rosters and easy access to a book that makes it easy to level up heroes/hero action opponents to death. Brettonia early armies are possibly worse than yours too.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Dunno how on earth you put Wood Elves and Beastmen at the bottom when those are two of the most fun to play races and they come with a mini campaign of extra content and tons of quest battles

they sold the worst

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

they sold the worst

and the tragedy of fewer people getting a chance to play some of the best factions should be reversed not reinforced

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wood Elves on the battle map are fun but imo their campaign sucks butt.

Idk how to fix it though- they definitely shouldn’t be map painters.

Also, if anyone hasn’t played Vermintide 2 the wood elf’s lines in that and the way she treats the other characters are perfect for how I picture wood elves.

It’s half haughty disdain and half a fourteen year old screaming racial slurs in voice chat. But of course there’s an undercurrent that just perhaps, the real end times were the friends she makes along the way.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

420 Gank Mid posted:

and the tragedy of fewer people getting a chance to play some of the best factions should be reversed not reinforced

oh I'm sorry

they sold the worst because they are bad and unfun which is why CA stopped making packs like that

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

To be good a mini campaign needs special units and factions and the ability to play it from multiple angles none of which they had, I still liked the wood elves ones though

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Wood Elves kinda seem a little pointless now with the Queen and the Crone. As Alarielle you get forest spirits, you get armor piercing archers, and you get elite fire-while-moving sneaky skirmisher archers. I feel like the only thing I'm really missing out on are Wild Riders, a.k.a. the only actually good light cav in the game. I guess Sisters of the Thorn are kind of a unique unit that High Elves don't get, but I also don't tend to ever use them. And now every faction can colonize every territory, so the Wood Elf unique mechanic is no longer a positive and instead just means that their other cities suck poo poo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Norsca is a little better in that they don't get any red climate and only two yellow but the campaign for them really compels you to sack and raze for money, since you can't build walled settlements or many important buildings anyway.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos
I've got TW1 and TW2 and a bunch of DLC but I've never been able to get the Anniversary Regiments of Renown to actually be available in any form in my game. I linked my CA account, verified files, checked and unchecked the dlc box in steam multiple times- any tips on getting them to actually appear?

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Loren posted:

I've got TW1 and TW2 and a bunch of DLC but I've never been able to get the Anniversary Regiments of Renown to actually be available in any form in my game. I linked my CA account, verified files, checked and unchecked the dlc box in steam multiple times- any tips on getting them to actually appear?

You have to go through the total war access website to get them.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

oh I'm sorry

they sold the worst because they are bad and unfun which is why CA stopped making packs like that

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Beastmen DLC is the only one I don't own because they're dumb and lame.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

turn off the TV posted:

If i played MP i'd get it, they're a strong+fun MP faction but their campaign suck dick. Same problem Chaos has: incredibly powerful battlefield army, so you spend your entire time fighting siege battles. (e: which are awful, not sure if i needed to point that out)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ammanas posted:

If i played MP i'd get it, they're a strong+fun MP faction but their campaign suck dick. Same problem Chaos has: incredibly powerful battlefield army, so you spend your entire time fighting siege battles. (e: which are awful, not sure if i needed to point that out)
True, though Beastmen at least get the ambush bonuses to help make up for it, plus Minotaurs knock down gates kind of hilariously fast.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ammanas posted:

There's a reason that not all settlements have walls.

I'm just not a super huge fan of horde factions in general. Norsca just feels like it does a good job of providing the same monster mash bullshit that the beastmen have on top of having a better campaign in general.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish beastmen and warriors (and daemons) never became separate factions tbh. Holding out hope for a universal chaos roater in 3.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

turn off the TV posted:

Beastmen are really fun in coop. You can follow your buddy around and smash things with minotaurs

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

the wood elves were b tier in 1 but their ME implementation is terrible

Beastmen at least can make for fun migration campaigns

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://gfycat.com/JealousSentimentalDuck

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Huh, Beastmen and Wood Elves are probably my favorite campaigns, both in WH1 and ME, since both are able to just head out and go wherever, while at the same time have really fun rosters. Especially Beastmen is great on the battlefield, just charge murder everyone.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

I wish I made a Gif of this one time I had a bunch of Dwarf cannons focus firing a Cygor and when I zoomed in it looked like the poor bastard was getting pelted by hundreds of dodge balls.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

First time playing Morathi, and man, that is a rough start. Dealing with Alith Anar at the beginning was pretty rough, but now that I've taken his province I have to deal with being the sole target of every single High Elf faction on Ulthuan + Mazdamundi + New World Colonies. Can only afford one army, so all i can do is keep bouncing back and forth between my easternmost and southernmost settlements as a new full stack comes in from the opposite end every single turn. Don't even want to think about Exiles of Nehek slowly expanding towards my northern border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The correct takeaway CA had from BM/WE was that people didn't really care much for the mini-campaigns, and that it was effort better spent elsewhere. It's a shame because I think they could have been done differently and been great, maybe with some 1v1 (or even larger?) multiplayer campaign potential, especially since a reduced maps leads itself to lower turn-times.