Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I showed this to my girlfriend and she started laughing crazily and said "and we have fourrrr!"

I love the look of yours I cant wait to see what my weirdos do

Id gladly have 4, but we are waiting to take a cutting until we have a bigger patio again. Just never plant one in the ground!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Shame Boner posted:

Absolutely yes, especially with asphalt shingles. It's widely recommended to use a "first flush" diversion system if you're using the water for drinking or watering food crops.

We have a sheet metal roof, I can't imagine what pollution there could be in that, not that we're using it for either of those purposes. Unless it comes from other sources and lay down on the roof, but in that case the ground should be as suspectible to the same.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I'm a new home owner and the previous owner planted a small palm tree in the front yard before selling. I don't know how to take care of this thing. It looks unhealthy but I can't tell. I currently water it about every 4 days.

Based on the trunk (interwoven bootjacks followed by a smooth trunk), it looks like this might be a Sabal Palmetto palm, in which case you might be over watering it. It can handle cold weather pretty well and doesn't do too bad with a lot of water as long as it drains. Most palmettos don't require a lot of maintenance, but it depends on where you are.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Hubis posted:

You might like Portulaca.
I might indeed, they look lovely. Thanks!

Big-rear end ferns are very difficult to find in stores, so I liberated a couple from the wild and they seem to enjoy their new habitat.

Another identification request - what are the orange and red flowers? Please excuse the blurriness.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lantana

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Wonderful. Thank you. Apparently called 'fire crown' in Swedish.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ExtraNoise posted:

Based on the trunk (interwoven bootjacks followed by a smooth trunk), it looks like this might be a Sabal Palmetto palm, in which case you might be over watering it. It can handle cold weather pretty well and doesn't do too bad with a lot of water as long as it drains. Most palmettos don't require a lot of maintenance, but it depends on where you are.

I’m in Texas

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Mr. Vile posted:

The tiny baby seedling it dropped got pulled up from the tray matting and settled in a pot of its own though. :3:

That was April 16th. This is now.

(click pictures for large)

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

ExtraNoise posted:

Mexican windmill is my guess. They're pretty tough so I'm not sure what's up with your unless something damaged the roots.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's been a trend lately for botanical (mainly succulents) prints to be in vogue, and I love it.

x

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Speaking of, I've got my Purple Pearl outside and I guess birds like 'em:

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
:neckbeard: I collected seeds from my D.capensis and planted them and the first one has sprouted into the CUTEST BABY SUNDEW :neckbeard:

(Click for big)

In the big version you san see the tiny black flecks still waiting to germinate!

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Went off on holiday for a couple weeks and the neighbours watered the garden while I was away. Came back to the cherry plant looking half dead with almost all the leaves missing.

I've got a few pics here. Anyone have suggestions on how to nurse it back to health? It seems like it was hit with too much fertiliser :/

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Nosre posted:

Speaking of, I've got my Purple Pearl outside and I guess birds like 'em:

Maybe they are after the water? You could try putting a small birdbath or thing of water out there.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Obviously it varies from species to species, but is there any decent rule of thumb for knowing if your succulent seeds have decided to not germinate?

First couple weeks of March I potted a bunch of seeds from this collection (I'd copy-paste it but their website doesn't allow it, wtf) and only the Cactus Apples have grown into what could legitimately be called tiny cactii. Everything else, for the most part, remains dirt.

As a total newbie to this whole thing (as in I didn't bother getting a decent lighting setup before starting this hobby, so most of what did grow went leggy and died between now and then), I'm sure that "just dirt since March" is a sign of non-germination. Or am I overthinking it and should just let them be?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Massive change of plan, I’m going to turn all my flower beds into rose beds. I already got a 10m one out the back but this is the new one that went in today. Only 2 more beds to go lol.

Yup, thems roses.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I am aware of the dullness of the above photo because they are all young or not in bloom but for the purple one so here’s a couple of my pretty ones, third one in the set that is red with pink stripes isn’t in bloom yet.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

MisterBibs posted:

Obviously it varies from species to species, but is there any decent rule of thumb for knowing if your succulent seeds have decided to not germinate?

First couple weeks of March I potted a bunch of seeds from this collection (I'd copy-paste it but their website doesn't allow it, wtf) and only the Cactus Apples have grown into what could legitimately be called tiny cactii. Everything else, for the most part, remains dirt.

As a total newbie to this whole thing (as in I didn't bother getting a decent lighting setup before starting this hobby, so most of what did grow went leggy and died between now and then), I'm sure that "just dirt since March" is a sign of non-germination. Or am I overthinking it and should just let them be?

How many seeds did you try from each?

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
And the award for most British post in the thread goes to

learnincurve posted:

Massive change of plan, I’m going to turn all my flower beds into rose beds.

Edit: those are some gorgeous roses! It makes me wish I put some in years ago.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 21, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I also have a large dahlia collection I have to dig up every year the moment the weather man says it might be frosty.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

learnincurve posted:

I am aware of the dullness of the above photo because they are all young or not in bloom but for the purple one so here’s a couple of my pretty ones, third one in the set that is red with pink stripes isn’t in bloom yet.

Those are stunning, but you can't eat them so I'll leave that sort of gardening to my wife :v:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

How many seeds did you try from each?

About five per (6 in wide by 5 inch tall) pot.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Ashex posted:

Went off on holiday for a couple weeks and the neighbours watered the garden while I was away. Came back to the cherry plant looking half dead with almost all the leaves missing.

I've got a few pics here. Anyone have suggestions on how to nurse it back to health? It seems like it was hit with too much fertiliser :/

I would just water it more often and let it ride. It looks like it will bounce back.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Watering specifically with distilled water will help flush the soil of excess salts from the (presumably synthetic) fertilizer. Your neighbor meant well, I hope I bounces back soon.

Forbidden Donut
Mar 19, 2006
mmm....
Hi, hoping it's okay to ask a lawn question here.

I'm in the south east MA area and while my lawn started off nice this spring, I've had a couple of issues. I do a couple of fertilizer applications a season and generally mulch clippings unless it's before having company over then i will bag it to avoid having a ton come in the house (i have to mow more frequently to avoid chopping too much of the plant off) I also dethatch/plug aerate at least once a season with tow behind attachments.

The wet coldish spring lead to a whole bunch of red thread after the first fertilizer application seemed to wear off. I've read that more nitrogen will help the plants recover since red thread doesn't really kill the plant just some of the blades making it eventually look stricken with drought until it recovers. (i also read to bag until it clears up to avoid spreading the disease) I applied another fertilizer that was due (this was about 8 weeks after the previous one) and while it's helping the lawn recover...now i have dark stripes where there appear to have been overlap. I'm using a cheap scotts broadcast spreader with Agway brand fertilizers my paths are about 5 ft apart. I thought the broadcast spreader would help avoid striping, unlike the drop spreaders i had used in the past.

How can i avoid the red thread next spring...and what am I doing wrong with the fertilizer application? Is it me, the spreader or fertilizer? Thanks!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Forbidden Donut posted:

Hi, hoping it's okay to ask a lawn question here.

I'm in the south east MA area and while my lawn started off nice this spring, I've had a couple of issues. I do a couple of fertilizer applications a season and generally mulch clippings unless it's before having company over then i will bag it to avoid having a ton come in the house (i have to mow more frequently to avoid chopping too much of the plant off) I also dethatch/plug aerate at least once a season with tow behind attachments.

The wet coldish spring lead to a whole bunch of red thread after the first fertilizer application seemed to wear off. I've read that more nitrogen will help the plants recover since red thread doesn't really kill the plant just some of the blades making it eventually look stricken with drought until it recovers. (i also read to bag until it clears up to avoid spreading the disease) I applied another fertilizer that was due (this was about 8 weeks after the previous one) and while it's helping the lawn recover...now i have dark stripes where there appear to have been overlap. I'm using a cheap scotts broadcast spreader with Agway brand fertilizers my paths are about 5 ft apart. I thought the broadcast spreader would help avoid striping, unlike the drop spreaders i had used in the past.

How can i avoid the red thread next spring...and what am I doing wrong with the fertilizer application? Is it me, the spreader or fertilizer? Thanks!

'sup, fungal-infected, cheap scotts broadcast spreader bro!

I'm not an expert on red thread/true northern climate -- my experience is with leaf spot/melt out/brown patch in the transition zone. Where I am, an eventual fungal problem is just kind of taken as a given due to the climate and so either a heavy curative or a light preventative fungicide application is recommended. From what I understand though, Red Thread is something healthy turf can shrug off, so the best bet is to just do good cultural practices: fertilize adequately, mow tall (3.5+"), only irrigate in the mornings. You might want too make sure you're providing enough N late in the fall season to properly "winterize" -- soil ecosystem will convert some of that volatile N into stable forms and assist in getting a quick green-up come spring.

You are right about just "growing out" the red thread. Supplemental N will help a lot there, so it sounds like you are doing the right thing. I'd say the same with dethatching early in the spring (to remove pathogen bimass from the thatch later) and bagging clippings inf you are seeing signs of trouble. This will all take some time to reduce the red thread fungal population, though, and thus your infection rate. One thing you could do to speed things up is a single application of a fungicide like Propiconazole ( https://www.domyown.com/what-is-the-mixing-rate-of-propiconazole-143-to-treat-red-thread-qa-47572.html ) preventatively when you expect an extended period of rainy weather in the spring. I wouldn't rely on it regularly, but one application may help to knock down the infection rate and speed up the process. Definitely not necessary though, if spraying chemicals is outside your comfort zone.

As for the stripes, the broadcast spreader will definitely help but yeah you've got to be spot on to avoid overlaps. Honestly, what I usually do is just halve the application rate and do a double pass, with the paths running perpendicular to one another. That way any overlap on a single pass is reduced and the coverage more even in general. This obviously takes more time though, and may be annoying if the fert rate is already low enough that reducing the spreader seting would make it hard to get even distribution. I'm not sure what the #/1000sqft for the agway fertilizer is, but I use Milorganite at 15lbs/1000sqft so it's easier for me to just thin out each pass like that.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone got a possible ID on this? Picked it up without a name a while ago, and now I need to check up watering reqs

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The roses I bought from the pound shop have turned out to be some sort of Rosa Rugosa x something.

So I’m going to move them to the border next to the neighbors I don’t like very much.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I've been dipping my toes into the plant life with a few Pachyveria and some herbs, but I have to keep them on the near side of my apartment balcony so they won't get completely waterlogged by the irregular afternoon downpours here in Florida.

What are some relatively idiotproof plants that can take a downpour and how should I pot them?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can grow all sorts of cool tropical things in Florida.

dieffenbachia, philodendron, bromeliad, etc etc

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
Cool, I was avoiding those because they tend to call for partial shade and I thought I had full sun. Turns out I was wrong, so I'll probably grab a bromeliad and see how that goes.

Looks like I need to take care to keep the soil well draining, any advice there beyond mixing in perlite and sand?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

tbh I've never grown a bromeliad, but I found this page: http://www.bromeliads.info/bromeliad-potting-soil/

Perlite is usually better than sand. It's lighter and just easier to add to a soil mix.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I thought you don't really need soil for bromeliads, they just use their roots for anchors?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
According to the linked page they can do either, but I've only seen them just in the air. I would say that if you live in a dryer climate it might be worth trying the soil - I live in the Northeast and had a bromeliad, it gets very dry and I forgot to mist it one week and it died just like that.

Forbidden Donut
Mar 19, 2006
mmm....

Hubis posted:

'sup, fungal-infected, cheap scotts broadcast spreader bro!

Thanks for the advice, I will give halving the application a shot to avoid the strips and may try an antifungal come next spring should it be there again. I'll bag the next few mowings too, i just hate wasting good free fertilizer which i usually mulch. When you're saying late fall how late? When my lawn is more dormant or actually let the plants absorb? I typically will do a lime application when things have stopped growing to treat the soil and give it time to condition over the winter.

I was thinking of doing a milorganite application in place of step 3 but it seems pricey compare to other fertilizers (i also have like 15k sq ft). Any experience with it? Thanks again!

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm trying to propagate new kalanchoe coppet spoons via leaves. I've put them on some succulent soil. Do I need to keep the soil moist or what? How does this work?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Collected some seeds from southern Africa on a recent trip and will be going through the process of germinating them. Some of these require river sand to grow, would mixing sand in with regular soil work for that?

And side note, I'm putting them in a sealed quarantine before doing anything to be safe.

Quick update regarding cherry tree, I've been watering it until it runs through the pot then allowing it to drain. It started sprouting a new set of leaves a couple days ago so it looks like it's going to be okay.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Everyone stop what you're doing and watch Big Dreams, Small Spaces on Netflix. It's about a funny English man named Monty who descends chimneys in random houses and spouts tiny bits of gardening wisdom at the unsuspecting homeowners. He then vanishes into the ether only to return when the people have finished their garden and softly chanted Monty Don three times.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Boy do I have news for you

Monty “national treasure” Don hosts BBC gardeners world which is available on YouTube. His best selling book is a autobiography of his golden retriever Nigel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't know how I had never heard of this magical elf man before.