Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Has this Fett movie EVER actually been acknowledged by LucasFilm? News sources started talking about it like it was gospel and I've seen nothing from LucasFilm/Disney about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's Daldry like as a director? I'm aware of the movies he's made more than I'm familiar with them (Billy Elliot, The Hours, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close) and can't think of any I've seen. But he has a fairly clear record; gotten a few Oscar nominations through the years and everything.

Tom fuckin' Hooper has an Oscar, that means nothing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Les miserables was fantastic.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Blood Boils posted:

Rogue 1 looks even more impressive in retrospect since like Solo it was apparently heavily re-shot/edited to make it lighter. It's really good, but imagine how much better it might have been! sigh

Rogue One had minor changes done by talented writer/director Tony Gilroy. Like they made Jyn more ambiguous or something.

Solo got a massive overhaul by ultra-hack Ron Howard, to the point that it was no longer even the same genre.

Harime Nui posted:

Rogue One is very much in the style of a lot of old movies like Eagle's NestWhere Eagles Dare and Escape from Alcatraz. It's totally a Dad Movie.

More than that, it’s the only Disney Star Wars to actually resemble a Star Wars film, where the other films come across as these bizarrely desperate attempts to ‘fix’ Star Wars.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

More than that, it’s the only Disney Star Wars to actually resemble a Star Wars film, where the other films come across as these bizarrely desperate attempts to ‘fix’ Star Wars.

The OT's genre is Space Opera
The PT's genre is Soap Opera
Rogue One's genre is War Movie
Solo's genre is Western/Heist
The NT's genre is... Star Wars. I didn't even dislike TLJ, but that's all I can get out of it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ralph McQuarrie's original Yoda design kinda look like Mel Brooks.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's Daldry like as a director? I'm aware of the movies he's made more than I'm familiar with them (Billy Elliot, The Hours, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close) and can't think of any I've seen. But he has a fairly clear record; gotten a few Oscar nominations through the years and everything. What would a Star Wars movie directed him be like?

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is dreck, doomed by its mawkish source material but somehow even worse, but Billy Elliot is fine, not hugely special but not a waste of time. Jamie Bell is good in it. Not seen The Hours even though I like Woolf.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bruceski posted:

The OT's genre is Space Opera
The PT's genre is Soap Opera
Rogue One's genre is War Movie
Solo's genre is Western/Heist
The NT's genre is... Star Wars. I didn't even dislike TLJ, but that's all I can get out of it.

They’re all ‘space opera’, but the ST films are like “do we really need all this stuff about ‘baron administrators’ and ‘regional governors’?”

Like, the idea is that even A New Hope was hosed up from the beginning - talking about a civil war, and how spies from the one conflict are assisting Princess Leia with a mission to save the people of Alderaan. It’s too complicated!

How about this:

“Luke Skywalker has vanished. Leia is desperate to find her brother Luke Skywalker. The First Order will not rest until Luke Skywalker has been destroyed. A girl named Rey dreams of meeting Luke Skywalker. Han is mildly annoyed at his brother-in-law Luke Skywalker. Brave robot BB8 holds a map to Luke Skywalker. Luke Skywalker is a good guy.”

And do we really need all these aliens and robots?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, that summation makes the new trilogy sound like celebrity worshipping reality tv.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

It's really kind of odd how the Disney Star Wars just basically forget aliens exist, unless they're flesh-toned and snouted like half a dozen vaguely similar species are in the ST. Or they're Mon Calamari, I guess.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"And whenever Luke isn't on screen, everyone should be asking 'where's Luke?'"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Glad they got rid of all the racial stereotype aliens from the PT tbh.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Glad they got rid of all the racial stereotype aliens from the PT tbh.

Such as ?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
As an Italian-American owner of a greasy spoon diner and former wildcat miner I was disgusted with the insultingly accurate portrayal of Dexter Jettster

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I mean the idea with the ST is clearly to return to a nonexistent past where Star Wars was, like, pure and mythic.

But even A New Hope took the piss out of the mythic stuff. Obiwan comes across as a charlatan, and Luke’s a dolt.

[Luke awkwardly pulls off his disguise]
Luke: “I'm Luke Skywalker! I'm here to rescue you!”
Princess Leia: “You're who?”

And then Empire’s like “Luke you’re a fuckin dolt.” I pointed this out a long time ago, but Luke’s only major ‘legendary’ accomplishment is blowing up the first Death Star. So why aren’t the baddies fighting tirelessly to assassinate the legendary Lando Calrissian?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Post Death Star 1, Luke's primary value to the war effort for basically the remainder of his life was as a propaganda figure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

Les miserables was fantastic.

“Fantastic”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzvdQh8D2Q

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
He does later manage to walk into a room with the two highest ranked executives in the Empire and convince one to kill the other, thereby instantly winning the war.

As his instructor in pure bullshit, Obi-wan should be extremely proud.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That song encapsulates everything wrong with the movie:

- Hooper basically knows how to do extreme close-ups and crane shots, so half of it is being so close to Crowe's face that you can count the pores
- Hooper had the insane idea of having all the actors record their singing live on the set, so you've got Crowe, who can barely sing, tripping over his accent, trying to sing and trying to act and emote all at the same time, which he just wasn't capable of doing
- Holy poo poo it's just gray and ugly, with terrible green-screen work
- *THUNK*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It works more as you see it a few times

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

No, it really, really doesn't.

Outside of Jackman, Hathaway and the wonderful little surprise of Colm Wilkinson as the Bishop, almost nothing about that movie works, in particular the direction. The Paris stuff is especially egregious; there was a lot of love put into the art direction and those sets, but we see almost nothing of them because Hooper is far more interested in having the camera so close to the faces of Jackman and Redmayne that we can see their nose hairs.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I enjoyed it, but it was my first exposure to Les Mis in any form, so maybe it was the material and the songs rising above the adaptation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

General Dog posted:

I enjoyed it, but it was my first exposure to Les Mis in any form, so maybe it was the material and the songs rising above the adaptation.

The 10th Anniversary concert is where it's at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0SWaGfkPxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFQvGJGpM1s

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 23, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timby posted:

That song encapsulates everything wrong with the movie:

- Hooper basically knows how to do extreme close-ups and crane shots, so half of it is being so close to Crowe's face that you can count the pores
- Hooper had the insane idea of having all the actors record their singing live on the set, so you've got Crowe, who can barely sing, tripping over his accent, trying to sing and trying to act and emote all at the same time, which he just wasn't capable of doing
- Holy poo poo it's just gray and ugly, with terrible green-screen work
- *THUNK*

It's a good *THUNK* !

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

I mean the idea with the ST is clearly to return to a nonexistent past where Star Wars was, like, pure and mythic.

But even A New Hope took the piss out of the mythic stuff. Obiwan comes across as a charlatan, and Luke’s a dolt.

[Luke awkwardly pulls off his disguise]
Luke: “I'm Luke Skywalker! I'm here to rescue you!”
Princess Leia: “You're who?”

And then Empire’s like “Luke you’re a fuckin dolt.” I pointed this out a long time ago, but Luke’s only major ‘legendary’ accomplishment is blowing up the first Death Star. So why aren’t the baddies fighting tirelessly to assassinate the legendary Lando Calrissian?

Even the Empire understands that trying to hunt down the only black person in the galaxy is a bad look.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ruddiger posted:

drat, that summation makes the new trilogy sound like celebrity worshipping reality tv.

Breaking news: all Star Wars producers replaced by Ryan Seacrest and Mark Burnett.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Dog posted:

Post Death Star 1, Luke's primary value to the war effort for basically the remainder of his life was as a propaganda figure.

That’s certainly true in the ST but, during ‘the dark time’ after A New Hope, Luke became de facto leader of a splinter group of ‘freedom fighters’ - a group obviously inspired by Rogue One, and further to the left than the average Rebels. That level of influence is precisely why Vader sought Luke’s help in his planned coup against the emperor.

This part of Luke’s career has been pretty much scrubbed from history, so (by the time of TFA) Luke’s legend is all about how he turned Vader into a moderate, Republican Rebel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

euphronius posted:

It’s all I’ve ever seen of it and I laugh every time it goes THUNK. It’s so silly.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

JfishPirate posted:

I do not really enjoy the original trilogy or TFA, and Rogue One sits directly above TLJ, followed by AOTC/ROTJ. I do like TPM, insomuch as it is a story about Palpatine, but the rest is pretty much pointless. I suppose I am a very atypical Star Wars fan.

I agree, Rogue One is also my favorite in the series. It just felt like what a follow up to the OT and PT should be. Solo, which I saw last night, was loving diggity dope too.

I feel you on being atypical. I don't particularly like ANH (but I respect it, which I admit is a weird thing to say) and like 60% of ROTJ (Empire is flawless). Prequels are......ehhhhh at points, but assisted well by a very good TV series and just looking at the movies as the big budget season premiere and finale to that.

Someone said somewhere that the ST seems to be Star Wars done by someone without the influences Lucas drew from. They are tributes just like the PT and OT, but not to cool stuff like samurai flicks and 50s sci fi. Just Star Wars. Star Wars doing Star Wars tributes... :crossarms: When that's the paradigm, its no wonder the sequels seem so small in scope and the writers seem kinda aimless and scatterbrained.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

*space gong randomly sounds off*

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zer0spunk posted:

Everyone goes for the Neimoidians but I'm surprised nobody ever brings up Watto with his huge hooked nose, his sort of Yiddish accent and his obsession with money.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 23, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

zer0spunk posted:

Wait, what race do you think they are?

What behaviours are stereotypical for that race?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Wait, what race do you think they are?

What behaviours are stereotypical for that race?

I don't know star warsian..so space alien?

Space aliens, with terrible ethnic accents for..reasons?

Here's a wordier op/ed for you though to engage whatever tangent you wanna take this (OT- solo was eh.)

quote:

But what about a sober drama featuring evil mercantilists whose technologically advanced robots enslave a peace-loving nation and all at the bidding of a man known as "Emperor"? Oh, right, the mercantilists also have slanty eyes, wear long robes, and talk just like Charlie Chan. They attempt to hide their crafty schemes from the outside world by forcing the conquered nation to sign a faux treaty. They are ruthless and cruel in their occupation.

When Michael Crichton wrote a Japan-bashing film (and novel) back in 1993 called Rising Sun, critics roasted him for exploiting racial fears. But the racial stereotyping in George Lucas' latest Star Wars epic, The Phantom Menace, is far worse, and nobody seems to care.

Crafty Japanese trade villains aren't the only heavy-handed ethnic stereotype in The Phantom Menace. As the story continues, the heroes slip past the evil Japanese to a nearby planet. There, they attempt to repair their broken spaceship but are stymied by the hook-nosed owner of the local parts shop--Watto--who also happens to have a thick Yiddish accent!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

They’re all ‘space opera’, but the ST films are like “do we really need all this stuff about ‘baron administrators’ and ‘regional governors’?”

Like, the idea is that even A New Hope was hosed up from the beginning - talking about a civil war, and how spies from the one conflict are assisting Princess Leia with a mission to save the people of Alderaan. It’s too complicated!

How about this:

“Luke Skywalker has vanished. Leia is desperate to find her brother Luke Skywalker. The First Order will not rest until Luke Skywalker has been destroyed. A girl named Rey dreams of meeting Luke Skywalker. Han is mildly annoyed at his brother-in-law Luke Skywalker. Brave robot BB8 holds a map to Luke Skywalker. Luke Skywalker is a good guy.”

And it turns that even though a lot of those lines about ambassadors and senators were clunky and weird, taking them out of the movie makes the plot harder to understand!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

zer0spunk posted:

I don't know star warsian..so space alien?

Space aliens, with terrible ethnic accents for..reasons?

Here's a wordier op/ed for you though to engage whatever tangent you wanna take this (OT- solo was eh.)

What is it the correct accent to speak with?

I see what you’re going for, but your basic complaint is that the aliens aren’t white, and you’re working backwards from there.

For example: “mercantilists whose technologically advanced robots enslave a peace-loving nation and all at the bidding of a man known as ‘Emperor’?”

The Nemoidians get into a lovely business deal with a man known as Darth Sidious. They aren’t specifically mercantilists, and mercantilism is largely understood as a European thing.

Their accents are Thai.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pospysyl posted:

And it turns that even though a lot of those lines about ambassadors and senators were clunky and weird, taking them out of the movie makes the plot harder to understand!

As much as I hated the prequels then...rewatching the series in my 30's from 1-6 in order, and then 7, 8 eventually I think of all the entries those first 3 are actually telling an interesting layered story about the rise of the emperor/empire..kind of.

It's like there's shades of this clever complex story buried in this horribly written, wooden acted, green screen fest wrapped in so much other nonsense like pod racing and jar jar that it just diminishes any sense of this epic buildup to a straight up head of evil that dominates the galaxy for the next 3 installments. It also does that by completely ruining the other badass villain by giving him a whiny Dennis the menace childhood for..reasons?

But if we're talking about a story told from start to finish 1-3 by far feel way less improv compared to 4-6 and 7&8 thus far. It's a shame it wasn't a better writer/director at the helm of that idea though.

I also thought ewoks were dumb as poo poo then & now, so I'm on the cynical side of the audience for these.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 23, 2018

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

What is it the correct accent to speak with?

You're trying really hard here. All I can tell you is, any non george lucas star wars movie so far hasn't had this at all..go figure?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Nemoidians can't be Japanese, they're wearing hanboks.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
We can all agree that giving them the charlie chan accent was really fuckin' weird right?

Especially from an old white director..but then again anakin is this strange 1950's leave it to beaver version of a kid so maybe he just idolizes that period of film a little too much?

It's not like this series has suddenly become high art with other folks at the helm though, so we're all kind of dumb ones for seeing all of these any time they come out. Maybe this will be the turning point with solo and we'll look back fondly on this moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A lot of characters in The Phantom Menace do draw on aesthetic elements from historical caricatures. Ahmed Best's performance as Jar Jar was openly inspired by minstrelsy, for instance. (Where was that interview where he talked about it?)

The first thing to note, as SMG points out, is that none of those characters have the traits that link the caricatures back to their historical targets. What people on earth look anything like Neimoidians, Gungans, or Toydarians? (As a side note, Charlie Chan didn't sound like that.)

The larger point is that in a movie basically called The Unseen Problem, the main characters are completely taken in by the illusion created by the true villain, whose existence they don't even suspect, and who at the end of the movie gets everything he wants and throws himself a parade.

Nute Gunray isn't Fu Manchu. He isn't a cunning mastermind bent on world domination; he's a blundering patsy whose role in the scheme is to hold Naboo hostage so that his boss can throw him under the bus when his atrocities inevitably attract attention. Nute Gunray is playing a character in Darth Sidious' pageant, and the heroes believe it, because they're the kind of people who would look at the situation on Tatooine and conclude that the problem is with Watto, not with the Republic, or look at Jar Jar and see a useless and pathetic life form.

The Phantom Menace is about the rot inherent to the Republic that caused it to fall.