Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

tuyop posted:

Speaking of books nobody else has read, did anyone else read “Dear American Airlines” by Jonathan Miles? I bought it in an airport during a layover years ago and devoured it as quickly and shamelessly as possible. I remember it being good but I bet it wasn’t!

No, it's good and he's a cool loving dude- had him at my old bookstore a few different times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Chronoliths by Robert Wilson is another ho-hum book about time travel, and not significantly less confusing than the last one I read. Here at least the author has the decency to not even pretend to try to explain how the time travel works. The premise, and one of the main ideas of the book, is nevertheless interesting: around the world monuments begin erupting into existence, each commemorating a victory by "Kuin"... twenty years in the future, leading to the question: who or what is Kuin, and is Kuin created by the monoliths that announce Kuin's victories? Who knows, the book declines to give a clear answer and the protagonist is in no position to see what all's happening in the world despite being vitally important to it because, more or less, destiny says so. Most of the characters arcs, such as they are, are predictable and the book has little in the way of surprises - the story of the chronoliths ends with a whimper rather than a bang.

I am not impressed with my batting average of going to my local public library and just browsing the fiction shelves for the sci-fi spine label.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finished the first Flashman novel by George Macdonald Fraser. My next novel will be Quarry by Max Allan Collins.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

tuyop posted:

Speaking of books nobody else has read, did anyone else read “Dear American Airlines” by Jonathan Miles? I bought it in an airport during a layover years ago and devoured it as quickly and shamelessly as possible. I remember it being good but I bet it wasn’t!

Loved it. Sort of Bukowski flavored ranting and alcoholism mid (late?) life crisis fun ride. Hell, what's a good book for someone who liked "Dear American Airlines"?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m really surprised to find anyone else who read it, even though it obviously had distribution!

I think Angela’s Ashes or maybe Teacher Man by Frank McCourt hisself grabbed me the same way, and somehow All the Lights We Cannot See, though they’re very different.

On the comedy side, a lot of the Bill Bryson memoire stuff like A Walk In the Woods and I’m a Stranger Here Myself scratched the same sort of itch for me.

taylodactyl
Sep 14, 2017
32 Yolks by Eric Ripert is a look into the formative years of a 3 Michelin star chef. This is the French guy that hangs out with Anthony Bordain on various shows and runs Le Bernardin in New York. First third of the book dragged on a bit describing his family life which was a bit monotonous, but I suppose it helped set the stage for his motivations as things moved into his adult life and career. As someone who enjoys cooking at home, it offered insight into how whipping up a nice meal for yourself is miles apart from working in a high end kitchen and nailing a variety of dishes 50 times a night after prepping all day. The book gave a decent look into what the day-to-day of culinary school and working in a high end restaurant looks like. Not incredibly detailed on recipes or techniques, but interesting descriptions of the high-level goings on.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
River of Teeth by Sarah Gailey is a caper story that reminds me a lot of The Builders from two years ago. This time the gimmick is that it's an alternate history where hippos got imported to America in the mid-19th century, which is a mildly neat idea that's mostly used for set dressing. Some of the twists made me chuckle, but overall it's a fluffy, silly pulp story that I was eager to be done with as it wrapped up.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Solitair posted:

the gimmick is that it's an alternate history where hippos got imported to America in the mid-19th century, which is a mildly neat idea

An idea that almost came to pass:
https://www.wired.com/2013/12/hippopotamus-ranching/
http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2014/06/louisianas_hippo_history_to_be.html

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, the author mentioned that in the forward, though she fudged the dates when hippos were imported in her story. The ending of River of Teeth was a dud, but I appreciated some parts of it, especially the timeline where Lincoln vowed to solve the feral hippo problem, "then something else came up," followed by his successors promising the same thing before one goes "gently caress it."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just finished the fourth book in the Hangman's Daughter series by Oliver Potzch. I am honestly getting kind of annoyed with the style. It was fun and interesting at first but each book follows exactly the same structure. The hangman and simon get mired in some mystery, someone gets tortured that needs to be rescued, and in the end the all-knowing hangman saves the day. They are well-written books and it's cool to see places i've been in germany be in the story but in the 1600s, but everything is too formulaic. You know none of the main characters will die so it just falls kind of flat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finished Quarry by Max Allan Collins, which was a fun read.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I read The Vegetarian today. I have to say I really didn’t like it. It was written with a lot of skill, but the emotion - like the style - felt overwrought and insincere. “Her hand cupped the silent void of pain; it was childhood she observed in the flickering gaze of his talent.” Stuff like that. (I made up that sentence of nothingness but that’s the style).

It reminded me heavily of some of the other contemporary Japanese or Korean literature I’ve read in the past few years. Sort of striving for some desperate loneliness, but only (in my terrible opinion) finding mediocrity. It feels like an art project.

Fortunately, it was short, so the super-poignant Made You Think!! denouement is only an hour or two from the start.

I guess I just... lost the spell of it. Once I started rolling my eyes at the thing, I couldn’t stop.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finished the second Quarry novel, Quarry's List, very quickly after the first. It's a pretty short book, only around 200 pages, and I had a few pretty good stretches of free time, so I was able to finish it in a day.

Back to Ian Rankin next, for the third Inspector Rebus novel, Tooth and Nail.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Steven Bach's Final Cut its an autobiographical account of the production, filming and release of the Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate and the role it played in tanking the studio United Artists. Its an excellent window into the movie industry in the late 70's early 80's back when production companies were still mostly production companies instead of divisions of global supercorps. Its pretty fascinating, its like a perfect storm of bad omens moving against United Artists, the backlash of Auteur theory, stagflation squeezing box office for several years, mega investment banks eyeing up expansion into the media production and distribution, the Reagan administration gutting Antitrust laws, previous big hitters drying up, retiring or like Peter Sellers dying, company politics snapping.

And to top it off while all that's going on they're letting the Director of the Deer Hunter spend over $36million to build a de facto colony out in Montana while this Western film about ranchers stealing land just balloons to over five hours long and that's before they finished the prologue and epilogue.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee is a big step up from its predecessor. My memory of Ninefox Gambit is hazy, but I think the close focus on one military battle and one main perspective dulled my enthusiasm for it, even though this weird setting with tech based on numerology and cool aesthetics appealed to me. There's still some military battle scenes in this one, and those are still not interesting, but halfway through everything clicked and I went from being burned out on my streak of sci-fi books to getting invested all over again. The change in framing that expands the scope of the story helped that happen, as do the new characters who feel like they matter more than the letter-writer from Ninefox Gambit. My only quibble is that the big reveal is something that anybody who read Ninefox Gambit should already know. It still kind of works because the new characters didn't know and discovering it changes their perspective, but it still made me impatient for the other shoe to drop. Still a pretty good book overall, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ice Hunt by James Rollins is, well... go read Ice Station by Matthew Riley instead, it's the same book but better. Despite the science fiction spine label my local library slapped on Ice Hunt, it's nothing of the sort. It's a pretty generic techno-thriller set in the Arctic centering on a mysterious and long-abandoned research station that discovered something mysterious that governments will kill for and both the Americans and Russians send in black ops teams to secure the discovery and silence all witnesses with a brave crew of regular American military personnel and civilian scientists caught in the middle. Blah blah blah it's decent but nothing special for the genre, the characters are the interchangable archetypes you always see in these kinds of books and you can tell which lady scientist is going to be the first victim of the inevitable monsters because the first two sentences describe her as hot and having an affair with a married man - the adulterer is naturally the second victim.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished The Kingkilloer Chronicle. While the prose describing rape of eight year olds was poetic, almost musical, it was wearing its influence from the Babys Mange series on its sleeve. With its worship of the protagonist, mysticism-based magic system, and eon-spanning plot, it cribbed too heavily from Raspy's classic to be considered a great work in its own right.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nighteyes by Garfield Reeves-Stevens. A story about UFOs, alien abductions, and abductees that ultimately ends on a hopeful note and tries at the end to portray the aliens as ultimately benevolent is pretty novel, but I find that a hard pill to swallow when much of the book is filled with the usual alien abduction stuff including sexual experimentation on humans and coercing humans into having sex with each other, and then a sixteen year old girl being pregnant at the end by a forty year old guy the aliens drugged her into being in love with being presented as the hope of all mankind is... unfortunate.

I'm still chewing on how exactly I feel about the book, but I think the book suffers badly from cramming too many twists and revelations into the last couple of chapters, only one of which had been visibly foreshadowed, and one of the book's major subplots has no purpose except to waste time on conspiracy techno-thriller stuff that has no impact or relevance to the main plot beyond the first couple of chapters. There's a lesbian couple that spends most of the book doing nothing in particular while vaguely orbiting the protagonists until all of a sudden they do something the book seems to think is momentous and huge but no explanation is given for what they're doing or why.

The punch of this book, though, is looking at the psychology of the abductees and their responses to what's been happening - in every case, throughout their lives. The sixteen year old girl has long had an imaginary friend. Her mother keeps seeing her cat that's been dead for years. The FBI agent regularly deals with shadowy figures in the course of his job. The hard-charging businessman refuses to acknowledge that anything at all in his life has ever been even slightly out of the ordinary. Another character notes that when they were six Santa took her to visit his workshop at the North Pole. Everything dealing with the psychology of the abductions and its trauma on the abductees felt much more compelling to me than the intrigue and thriller nonsense.

Still, I thought some of the twists at the end genuinely were clever and create a pretty novel context for UFOs and abductions and whatnot, they just weren't given a chance to breathe, just implications for the reader to ponder.

On the whole, a mixed bag. UFO stories have long been one of my mildly embarrassing pet interests, and the interesting twists, dwelling on the psychological trauma of abduction, and genuinely creepy writing in the first few encounters with the aliens (things get vastly less atmospheric once the book moves onto the actual ship) all let down heavily by pointless subplots, a creepy fixation on the teenage girl's sexuality (which began before she was a teenager), and the book presenting all the usual nightmarish UFO stuff then assuring you that it was all justified and necessary and they're really good guys.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

The Black Tides of Heaven by J.Y. Yang starts off with a somewhat interesting setting. It's an Asian-themed one where every child is genderless until they choose a gender for themselves, and transition magically. The decision of gender choice is used well at first, tying into the angst that the main character feels as they grow distant from their twin. After that, things get more conventional, and the fast pace started to get a bit too fast. Every act is separated by a time skip, and important events are compressed so much that they happened as I was still getting used to the next one. By the end, things had gotten arch and melodramatic enough that I would have gotten tired of the book if it was a full novel, though if it was Yang could have given events more texture and avoided the problem entirely. Still, the focus remains about the twins relationship and separation, and it rings true for something on the two-dimensional side. Maybe I'll pick up the companion books later.

My ranking of the Hugo 2018 Best Novella nominees:
1: All Systems Red by Martha Wells
2: The Black Tides of Heaven by JY Yang
3: “And Then There Were (N-One)” by Sarah Pinsker
4: Binti: Home by Nnedi Okorafor
5: River of Teeth by Sarah Gailey
6: Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I’m always disappointed by the Hugo awards, I feel like ~the community~ is really not a good judge of good books.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

tuyop posted:

I’m always disappointed by the Hugo awards, I feel like ~the community~ is really not a good judge of good books.

They're an awful judge of good books.

The Hugos are voted on by the attendees of WorldCon, so it's an insular (and steadily aging) group of fans, where votes get cast based on personal popularity, friendships and all sorts of odd politics. From memory, there's a nomination phase and then the vote takes place over a shortlist. The shortlists I saw were crammed with episodes of "Sherlock" and "Supernatural" and superhero movies for "best SF/F film". As for written material, the number of people that have actually read all (or even many) of the entries is small. Check out the collections of the short story winners - they are very hit and miss.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Have the Hugo Awards done anything lately that's as silly as the Saturn Awards giving "Best Action or Adventure Movie" to Hidden FIgures and The Greatest Showman this year and last year?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Have the Hugo Awards done anything lately that's as silly as the Saturn Awards giving "Best Action or Adventure Movie" to Hidden FIgures and The Greatest Showman this year and last year?

Well, wait till next month! You can see this year's nominations here.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Selachian posted:

Well, wait till next month! You can see this year's nominations here.

Honestly not as bad as I'd feared. There's a few of the usual names and awards to superhero films (and Zoe Quinn's bio being listed as a "related" book) but at least most of it is SF/F.

Although, buried down the bottom are the fan awards like "Best Semiprozine" which is where things get really weird and clannish. Also, I'm surprised 'zines have survived into the modern era. Unless blogs are now being classified as 'zines.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

nonathlon posted:

Honestly not as bad as I'd feared. There's a few of the usual names and awards to superhero films (and Zoe Quinn's bio being listed as a "related" book) but at least most of it is SF/F.

Although, buried down the bottom are the fan awards like "Best Semiprozine" which is where things get really weird and clannish. Also, I'm surprised 'zines have survived into the modern era. Unless blogs are now being classified as 'zines.

They are. I don't recognize all the names but at least half the "Best Fanzine" nominees are blogs (File 770, Rocket Stack Rank, Nerds of a Feather....)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Moving Mars by Greg Bear. Bear can be a weird guy like most sci-fi authors, but Moving Mars was less so than usual for him up until the last couple of chapters. I'm still not sure what exactly he was going on about beyond that I recognized a few of the same terms and concepts as things he also used in The Forge of God and Anvil of Stars. This book is not set in the same universe as those, but Bear was clearly thinking in certain technological and scientific directions for both.

I like Moving Mars, but I'm not convinced it was good. About the first third of the book ended up not mattering at all, all the complexities and history of Earth - some of which were quite interesting - ended up being irrelevant when Earth became faceless bad guys and the Martians either aw-shucks salt of the earth (well, mars) heroes or traitors in league with Earth. I was expecting something more interesting than what I got, and in my mind I'm going over possibilities of what could have been happening in the background but there's not really a point to it.

I've been reading a number of these "Humans settle Mars, Mars makes remarkable technological discoveries, Earth declares war on Mars out of fear and colonialism, Mars effortlessly wins via those technological discoveries" books from my library lately, but none of them have been very good.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

My life has been very hectic lately, but I finally had the opportunity to sit down and do some reading over the last few weeks. Some recent reading:

I bought The Idiot by Elif Batuman on a whim. It's a book about an awkward Turkish-American student who tries to survive life at Harvard. It's not laugh-out-loud funny, but the narration is clever and charming. I've heard some complaints about how meandering the book was, but it didn't strike me as a particularly bad thing.

I also picked up Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie and read it in an afternoon. I didn't realize it was a modern reinterpretation of Antigone until I finished and read the Author's Note at the end. The pacing is uneven and there's a few sections where the writer seems to be trying too hard to be profound, but the book becomes increasingly sharp as it goes on. The ending is one of the most memorable I've read in a while.

A friend gifted me Purity by Jonathan Franzen. I wasn't enthralled.

We Begin Our Ascent by Joe Mungo is a quick but enjoyable read about a professional cycling team that resorts to doping. Mungo writes as if he were a professional cyclist himself with very crisp, vivid language. However, I'm struggling to remember the details of anything outside those descriptions of racing.

Currently working my way through The Bonfire of the Vanities for the first time.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Finally finished George Saunders' Tenth of December. Man, that guy can write. Took me awhile to get through all the stories, they almost all have this slightly off-kilter, sinister, unsettling thread running through them and I needed a little time to digest one and reset before I could move on to the next. I really liked it though.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Just wrapped up Patrick Hoffman's Every Man a Menace. A very quick read about the key players and logistics chain for MDMA from Burma, to Thailand / San Francisco and Miami. It starts a bit disorienting, I think on purpose, then weaves a hell of a narrative connecting each location.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, Read by Steven Pacey (audio book, some names might be wrong)
Book 1 of "The First Law" series.

It follows several people in a fantasy medieval world.
Logen Nine Fingers, a bloodthirsty barbarian who wants to change his ways.
Jezel Dan Lutha, a pompous noble who just wants to be famous for his fencing abilities.
Sand Dan Gloktor, a fencing genius who was tortured and crippled, then turning into a torturer himself.
Ferrol, an escaped slave who wants to get revenge on her captors. She is ill tempered, stubborn and deadly.

While sometimes there was nothing really going on with the plot I still enjoyed most of the characters and their interactions and that's where the book really shines. I understand it is the first book of a trilogy but the conclusion was disappointing since there were no revelations, cliffhangers or even any resolved loose ends. It felt just like the end of another chapter.
In general I think the plot was missing some direction. One of the characters says he doesn't want to know why he is being recruited and we never find out. The person who drives the plot is never a PoV character and he doesn't explain at any point what they are actually doing or why. I'm hoping the following books will solve some of these issues.

The narration was excellent with lots of different accents and mannerisms. Gloktor has a lisp whenever he talks but he loses it whenever he is in his inner monologue.

All in all I enjoyed it but I can't recommend it until I read the rest of the trilogy because this one on its own feels incomplete.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson. Very well written! I learned a lot about the weatherman profession.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente was a real treat, displaying the kind of creativity I missed while I was reading this year's Hugo ballot. It's set in a universe where the all the planets in the solar system are more like how humanity imagined other worlds before everyone found out they were barren and inhospitable, and where silent movies were never supplanted by talkies. I love that premise, the collage presentation that switches between conventional prose, screenplay format, and op-ed columns, and the way the story presents grief and the search for a closure that isn't coming. At least, not for him. I admire the cheek in introducing the reader to a noir story that gets dropped halfway through because it's in-universe fiction that the director decided to take in a different direction during production. Highly recommended.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Chernabog posted:

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, Read by Steven Pacey (audio book, some names might be wrong)
Book 1 of "The First Law" series.

If you liked it at all you are in for a treat with the next two books and subsequent stand alone books. Abercrombie becomes a better author by the end of the first trilogy. Steven Pacey is the best narrators ever, even other good audio book readers pail in comparison. I'm jealous. I have read all the books and listened to the audio books (all of them) twice. If you like Abercrombie's world, he has the first book of an entire new trilogy coming out next year.

I just finished "A player of games" By Ian M. Banks. Not sure what to think it is the second book in the "Culture" series and I am still on the fence if I like it or not. I dug parts of the first book but the ending was terrible. A player of games ended much more satisfyingly, I think I will give the next book a chance and if I don't like it I'll give up on the series. I don't need to read 6 more books I am only luke warm on.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I did like it for the most part, there were only a couple things that bothered me. I am now on the second book and it seems to be much better from what I've read so far.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Provenance by Ann Leckie is less than the sum of its parts. It's not the biggest waste of potential on the Hugo ballot—that's still New York 2140—but it makes me wish Ann Leckie's writing didn't have this teflon quality to it that makes it hard for me to get invested or remember what happens for long stretches of time. Here's the stuff I liked:

-The heroine is can barely keep herself from an emotional meltdown sometimes, but she's still capable of pulling through when she needs to. It's a bold move to have a protagonist this weepy, but in isolation it works.
-Just enough connection to the Ancillary books to make both stories more interesting without getting in the way. I especially like that Ingray is biased against A.I. like Breq.
-Zat's speech about vestiges before she got murdered intrigued me and was one of the few times that I was interested in the concept of vestiges, which makes it weird that all the other characters write her off as a jerk after she dies.
-Some of the emotional highs of the book (the Geck ambassador's speech about her change in perspective regarding humans, the accord that Ingray and Danach come to) work really well, or at least they would if the connective tissue could hold my interest better.

...I could have sworn I had more points to make in Provenance's favor, but I'm already forgetting them. You see what Leckie does to me? :shrug:

My final ranking of this disappointing year in Hugos:

1: Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee (finalist)
2: Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty (finalist)
3: The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin (finalist)
4: Provenance by Ann Leckie (finalist)
POWER GAP
5: New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson (finalist)
6: The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi (finalist)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Solitair posted:

1: Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee (finalist)
2: Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty (finalist)
3: The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin (finalist)
4: Provenance by Ann Leckie (finalist)
POWER GAP
5: New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson (finalist)
6: The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi (finalist)

Yeah I wouldn’t call any of those great. Hurley’s The Stars are Legion is better than all of the batch and it possibly wasn’t as good as Borne by Vandermeer. Even The Rise and Fall of DODO was silly and fun and still just fine, but not on the list!

taylodactyl
Sep 14, 2017
Zone by Mathias Énard. The second book I've read by this author, Compass being the first. He has a very distinctive style, instantly recognizable. While Compass follows a similar form, the stream of thoughts and examination of memories of the protagonist over the span of a single day, Zone goes a step further towards mimicking wandering thoughts by foregoing the use of sentences entirely. The whole book reads as a single sentence, which at first is quite jarring, but once you get used to the rhythm of the text it flows quite naturally. Zone is the recording of the thoughts of a man as he makes his way by train from Milan to Rome, recollecting episodes of his life such as lovers he's had, the Balkan wars that he took part in, and time spent in cities around the Mediterranean. The authors ability to cover such a variety of topics with seemingly personal insight and historical detail without falling into dull digressions is very impressive to me. I look forward to reading more from him.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

taylodactyl posted:

Zone by Mathias Énard. The second book I've read by this author, Compass being the first. He has a very distinctive style, instantly recognizable. While Compass follows a similar form, the stream of thoughts and examination of memories of the protagonist over the span of a single day, Zone goes a step further towards mimicking wandering thoughts by foregoing the use of sentences entirely. The whole book reads as a single sentence, which at first is quite jarring, but once you get used to the rhythm of the text it flows quite naturally. Zone is the recording of the thoughts of a man as he makes his way by train from Milan to Rome, recollecting episodes of his life such as lovers he's had, the Balkan wars that he took part in, and time spent in cities around the Mediterranean. The authors ability to cover such a variety of topics with seemingly personal insight and historical detail without falling into dull digressions is very impressive to me. I look forward to reading more from him.

That book whips rear end

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
was catching up on old botm entries and read james ballard's high rise

very stiff and soulless prose, something more lurid and pulpy would have suited the subject matter way better

also it got real tiresome reading fifty variations of the phrase "everything sucked, but [petite-bourgeoisie male protagonist] had never felt better"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just finished Arthur Machen's The White People and other stories. It's an excellent read. Really good writing helps create a captivating world where early modernity meets the fading memories of folklore and myth. Machen, a founder of the "weird tale" genre and inspiration of Lovecraft and others, wrote from the late Victorian era to world war one, in this collection, and as man's inhumanity to man became apparent in the Great War, he responded with a powerful story of what might happen when humanity abdicates its position of benevolent ruler of the world. Another story sees a changeling come to terms with how poor a fit suburban London life is.