Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MrYenko posted:

Or when you’re not on drugs, but REALLY loving WANT TO BE.

The run of TV cable from the pole on the street to my house was stolen once. That was a weird call.
"My internet's out, send somebody to fix it please."
"Try unplugging your modem--"
"I'm looking out my window and the cable is just gone."
"Oh. Tomorrow between 9am and 5pm okay with you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

GotLag posted:

You wouldn't expect to see roundhead nuts on a cavalier

Excellent.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kinda lol kinda hmmm

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

If a house costs too much, how about half a house instead? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-44443273

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Hmm.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peanut posted:

If a house costs too much, how about half a house instead? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-44443273

Economy of scale? Division of labour? Population density?

Why, I never!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
From what little information there is in that lovely video, it seems like it's to give people more emotional investment in their government-provided housing. Not a cost-cutting measure.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I would fill dat gap with laundry lines and baby pools :peanut:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

drgitlin posted:

Kevin McCloud?

Hey. Hey. Gitlin. Stick to cars. Jerk :argh:

(I own a 2018 Accord and disagree with your assessment. No it's not a Giulia, but it'll also not break like one).

fakeedit: lol one of the few times break is actually the correct word in a car post.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
My brother just closed on a ~100 year old house. (Euro folks, that's old here)
It's an old church owned building.
Many people in town went to Sunday School there.

I visited for a few hours and met multiple people that had toured the house at a local (sour beer) bar or had gone to Sunday School in the porch. Like literally everyone I met at the bar had been in the house. One was his neighbor and the other couple lives a few houses down and a bunch of his co-workers have been through there. It's "that brick house" on the corner of "X" street.

In 2005'ish they picked the house up and moved it across town and dropped it on a new foundation, with all the problems shifting the bones of a brick house that comes with.
The sidewalk outside his house is fuuuuuuuuucked, because, you know, they drove a house over it.

The previous owners were lazy as gently caress and it shows, like "spray paint the cracked ceiling" shows. I wouldn't be surprised if they were old-goons: fiber-optic internet to the home, gently caress everything else. $12k garage, fiber internet, leftover 70's lampshades, entire house wired for ethernet but knob-and-tube electrical in the top floor. Sold the house to go live in an RV.

The grading in the lawn reflects their laziness. It's quite extreme and extremely bad. He figures 2 tons of dirt to level it out. It's going to take some work to get my sister-in-law her garden.

I'll try and remember to get pictures the next time I'm down there. The "upstairs" fusebox is some plywood box with one of those "hook latches" with a bunch of screw-in fuses behind it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Super Soaker Party! posted:

(I own a 2018 Accord and disagree with your assessment. No it's not a Giulia, but it'll also not break like one).

fakeedit: lol one of the few times break is actually the correct word in a car post.

That's Dr. Gitlin to you!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

LOL, you have no idea how many angry Star Wars “fans” have been emailing me to tell me that the last few days. Congrats on the Accord, it was one of the few cars to really surprise me (in a good way) recently.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

~100 year old house. (Euro folks, that's old here)

Unless you live in the northeast US, in which case it's not really all that old. Old here is 1700s.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lmao relocating a brick house

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A sheet of corrugated cardboard has a better R value than brick.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

lmao relocating a brick house

It's such an intensely bad idea I'm kinda impressed at whoever did it since it presumably didn't crumble to pieces the moment they tried to lift it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Relocating a brick house makes sense.

They literally do not make bricks like they used to. People pay big bucks for used bricks.

The key is to take it apart brick‐by‐brick and put it together with fresh mortar. :v:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 19, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yes it's the picking it up part that I had issue with. From recent experience (old) mortar does not like it when suddenly asked to support a tension load. Nearly lost the back of my house.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Platystemon posted:

Relocating a brick house makes sense.

They literally do not make bricks like they used to. People pay big bucks for used bricks.

The key is to take it apart brick‐by‐brick and put it together with fresh mortar. :v:

That episode also talks about there being different hardnesses to brick and most people robbing bricks don't realize that. So the bricks go elsewhere and crumble because they're too soft.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

drgitlin posted:

Congrats on the Accord, it was one of the few cars to really surprise me (in a good way) recently.

:confused: I was almost certain that in an AI thread somewhere you'd said something disparaging about how you couldn't believe everyone was falling all over themselves to give awards to it and you didn't find it that great.

Well now my entire argument has fallen to pieces much like crappy (brick) construction there we go, back on topic now phew.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

GuavaMoment posted:

I want to hear more of this story.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Probably dialed up the 2nd tech using the wrong settings in the internal VOIP system for listen-only conference calls, the type where it's more of a webinar/seminar, where the instructor wants to field questions from each person, but you don't want the people to hear each other, especially in 100+ person clusterfucks.

Sorry, I haven't checked into this thread in some time. The story is pretty much as I wrote it out in my post - rodents got into a box somewhere and spliced wires together. I was able to receive phone calls that were made to my normal phone number, and probably the other number as well (I never received a call to that number that I know of to verify this.) When I dialed from my house phone, the number I dialed would receive a call from both my normal phone number and the wire I got spliced into. I tested this on my cell phone, it worked out that I would receive a call from one of the two numbers and the other would immediately reach voicemail since a cell phone can't handle 2 phones incoming at the same time. It would switch randomly between which number actually got through and which got to voicemail.

When I called Tech Support for the phone company to report the issue, I could hear two of the voice automated system in the background. I just mashed 0 a lot and both transferred me to an agent. I got to one of the agents first, so while I was talking to them, I also heard hold music. Then I got the other agent as well. It was very confusing for everyone involved but after about 10 minutes I got them to understand that I wasn't just playing some bizarre prank on them and would they please send out a tech to figure out what the flying gently caress was going on. It would have helped if they could have heard each other, but it didn't really work that way.

You could replicate it in a sense by grabbing 2 different cell phones and dialing the same number from both, except with that it'd work out that they were in different ears from different phones rather than the same receiver.

I have no idea how or why this worked technically, but I swear that it's how it happened. It was very odd. I discovered it because my internet stopped working, and when I picked up the phone to call tech support about it, I noticed the dial tone was very weird. Did that aforementioned testing just to try to figure out what the gently caress because the whole thing was so strange. I didn't know it was rodents until later, the tech stopped by to test stuff and told me what it had been.

Edit: I had lovely 9mbit ADSL at the time and I live in a rural area in Wisconsin, so equipment probably fairly old.

ssb fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 20, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Speaking of backwater places not worth sieging, I just visited Avila in Spain. It is pretty special because it has fully intact medieval walls and has been continuously occupied and was never left to ruin. Turns out over the years that Avila was just never important enough to siege.

A whole lot of the stones were weirdly shaped or had unique quarry marks on them, because they had been salvaged from Roman era buildings in the area to build the walls.

It was cool.

Bringing it back to crappy construction, we stayed for 3 weeks with family in Madrid. They are renting a place for 3600 EUR/month and the place is a disaster. Of 4 full bathrooms, only 2 actually have working showers. Whoever built the place has never heard of p traps under the sinks, so the kitchen and bathrooms have a constant funk of sewer gas.
The radiators are all super old, and in the last year two have spontaneously disintegrated and ruined the floor underneath.
They've also noted some serious shifting of the foundation and cracks showing up in the basement and ceilings. The owner seems unconcerned about any of this.

Best part? The owner is an architect by trade.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

:confused: I was almost certain that in an AI thread somewhere you'd said something disparaging about how you couldn't believe everyone was falling all over themselves to give awards to it and you didn't find it that great.

Well now my entire argument has fallen to pieces much like crappy (brick) construction there we go, back on topic now phew.

No, you’re right, I did. That was after a 20 minute drive in one last October, one that was optioned to the moon and back. When the fleet management company got in touch to arrange a proper loan I asked if they had a cheap one, which turned out to be a manual 1.5L Sport, and I loved it.

I reckon I’d have preferred the Camry if they’d sent me an LE instead of an XSE, too.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

Best part? The owner is an architect by trade.

Architects rarely know anything about engineering or construction. Or usage/utility either, for that matter.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

EoRaptor posted:

Architects rarely know anything about engineering or construction. Or usage/utility either, for that matter.

Or how to design something.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My architect had the opposite problem. Obsessed with structural integrity and ease of installation, poor sense of style and design. Dude needs to get a passport and go see the world.

Edit: Otoh, his family business is remodeling and repair, so he has correct opinions on what goes wrong with houses over a few decades.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

There’s a passage in one of Tom Wolfe’s books, A Man in Full, where a developer is talking about office parks and the gist this that architects are prima donnas and one of his competitors, who does his own architecture, has it figured out.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

peanut posted:

My architect had the opposite problem. Obsessed with structural integrity and ease of installation, poor sense of style and design. Dude needs to get a passport and go see the world.

Edit: Otoh, his family business is remodeling and repair, so he has correct opinions on what goes wrong with houses over a few decades.

...can...can I work for him?

Seriously I find 75% of my billable hours are in dead ends or work to prove my own architect is bad at math or physics.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
"Yeah, I called for an electrician. There's a weird buzzing coming from the breaker box..."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nope

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Those just look like bees though? Not a problem and free honey! Wasps or yellow jackets are nope.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, just cut power to that breaker box, and free bees and honey! Cleanup of the breaker box might be a problem though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
There is a local beekeeper that would gladly come take those bees off your hands for free.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, in terms of bugs that I frequently see inside of electrical and/pr plumbing enclosures, bees aren't that bad.

Anything is better than earwigs, though. *shudder*

I know that the pincers don't actually pince, and despite the name they don't crawl into your ears to eat your brain, but gently caress me if I don't hate them and get a lizard-brain revulsion response when a pile of them fall out of the cracks in my siding, or the inside of a sprinkler I left out, not connected to a hose.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The previous owners of my house "sealed" the leaky basment themselves. I tugged on a lovely patch of sealant on concrete today to find it embedded full of dirt. They didn't even loving brush it first.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, just cut power to that breaker box, and free bees and honey! Cleanup of the breaker box might be a problem though.

Constructive loss of the equipment probably. It's a pain in the rear end to clean electrical poo poo without loving it up, and honey is it's own joy to remove. Or if you're a service tech, scrape it with a handy set of pliers, fix the specific thing you were called to do, then leave it for the next poor fucker. Bees? I saw no bees.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Bees? What bees? ... I had to go visit 4 different sites at each end of the 2 runways of the YVR airfield yesterday, I was told site #2 had wasps living in 2 out of 3 of the enclosures I was to be working around/in so I was trying to push it off until their wildlife/pest removal people could get in there and deal with it. I was too efficient and got there way ahead of schedule only to find NO WASPS, I was actually slightly disappointed, and then not. gently caress wasps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

If you think about it, there's actually MORE material there for support, and furthermore *faaaaaaaaaaart*

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My father was an HVAC tech in Texas for 30 years. They sell some wasp spray at the A/C supply house that's probably technically a war crime.* Goes 30 feet in a focused stream, and they instantly die if a single drop hits them.

*as somebody in TFR once said, the only difference between pesticide and a war crime is the size of the pest. (All the fun nerve agents are derived from organophosphate pesticides.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This wouldnt have happened if they were properly insulated