Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My nes classic Walmart order got cancelled :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah that's Walmart. I've ordered all sorts of Nintendo's rare stuff from them and it's always cancelled.

In one case, they were serving orders taken months after mine before they cancelled it, too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh well, at least I don't have to give Walmart money now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Phantasium posted:

Yeah that's Walmart. I've ordered all sorts of Nintendo's rare stuff from them and it's always cancelled.

In one case, they were serving orders taken months after mine before they cancelled it, too.

That happened to me with the snes classic. I got one from gamestop anyway but they would not fulfill one of the August batches of pre-orders and the batches ordered two days later shipped. So I said gently caress it.

They probably mess up the sku internally and never update any incorrect orders. Or cancel them.

I know there's a dude that had a gold Mario amiibo pre-ordered for months and Walmart would never fulfill it despite it coming back in stock (and selling out quickly).

So gently caress Walmart.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Who in the blue hell would even want an NES Classic when the SNES Classic is so readily available and easily modded? The NES controllers are terrible and all but maybe seven or eight games are interesting as a five-minute novelty and nothing more.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Timby posted:

Who in the blue hell would even want an NES Classic when the SNES Classic is so readily available and easily modded? The NES controllers are terrible and all but maybe seven or eight games are interesting as a five-minute novelty and nothing more.

Not everyone shares your opinion of the NES library.

However, I would prefer there be more options to purchase additional NES Classic controllers and SNES Classic controllers, because even though I CAN play with an SNES controller on the SNES Classic, I'd really like to play with a standard NES pad for those games.

I also have an EverdriveN8 and a CRT and the ability to stream from it, so I'm not the target market.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Timby posted:

Me.

Cause holding that uncomfortable rectangle takes me back to my childhood.

:negative:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timby posted:

Who in the blue hell would even want an NES Classic when the SNES Classic is so readily available and easily modded?
I'd like to play the games I remember sucking at with the original controller.

Also, i'd like to have it as a game machine for the little kids in my household

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Me, because I'm not modding my SNES Classic. I'm enjoying these mini consoles for what they are because I have plenty of other devices that can be used for general purpose emulation.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
its me, the dude with a filled up modded snes classic i barely play, preordered and looking forward to buying a nes classic finally to mod and fill up and barely play.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Vikar Jerome posted:

its me, the dude with a filled up modded snes classic i barely play, preordered and looking forward to buying a nes classic finally to mod and fill up and barely play.

Twinsies!

See also my RetroPie I spent 3 weeks modeling into the perfect theme and has been powered on twice since, both times just to show someone else how cool it was.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Timby posted:

Who in the blue hell would even want an NES Classic when the SNES Classic is so readily available and easily modded?
This is basically the same argument as "but RetroPie!" when the NES Classic first came out, and the answer is still the same: it's a neat package.

I agree there's a lot more value in the SNES Classic, but the NES Classic is still interesting for at least one evening of fun without having to get all serious about emulation.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Regardless of “platform”, what games have you played to “completion” on either the NES Classic or SNES Classic?

So far for me, I have gone through:

Legend of Zelda (NES)
Legend of Zelda LTTP (SNES)
Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA)
Gyruss via Konami Arcade Classics (PS1) (oh yeah)
Soul Blade (PS1) (I played as the dude that was never seen again, Li Long)
Gyruss (NES)
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
GI Joe (Arcade)

I put hours into Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG before more or less abandoning them... again.

I know we all buy the things but what do we really play?

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Regardless of “platform”, what games have you played to “completion” on either the NES Classic or SNES Classic?

I most certainly do play both consoles a lot

Mario Bros
Mario 2
Mario 3
Bubble Bobble
Final Fantasy
Kirby
Mega Man 2
Star Tropics
Super C (popular with my friends as a quick time killer on week-ends for a time)
Zelda
Zelda 2

I also finished Phantasy Star 4 on the nes classic after making the mistake of purchasing a genesis flashback. Can't say I really put any effort into the other games I added except Contra and TMNT 2.

On the SNES I've completed:

DKC
Mega Man X
Star Fox
Castlevania 4
Mario RPG
Mario World
Super Punch Out
Link to the Past

I unlocked 150 cc in Mario Kart and have a save file ready to do Kefka's tower in FF 3. Haven't installed hakchi on the SNES yet. Maybe I won't.

I think my 8bitdo controller has played a huge role in my continued used of the consoles.

I intended to play Secret of Mana, Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island on the SNES classic as well but I got a super NT and I'll be replaying those on real carts. That's where I'll be replaying Chrono Trigger and DKC 2 (ongoing) too.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 23, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve gone through everything on the SNES except for Mana, FF6 and Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
DKC
Super Mario World
Mega Man X
Super Metroid
Demon's Crest
Kirby's Dream Land (gameboy)... granted, that barely counts

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I made a valiant effort to beat Ghouls and Ghosts but I’m just not good enough

Spellman
May 31, 2011

So far for me, I have gone through:

Legend of Zelda (NES)
Legend of Zelda LTTP (SNES)
Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA)
Gyruss via Konami Arcade Classics (PS1) (oh yeah)
Soul Blade (PS1) (I played as the dude that was never seen again, Li Long)
Gyruss (NES)
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
GI Joe (Arcade)

I put hours into Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG before more or less abandoning them... again.

On my NES I've played Super Mario Bros. 3 and Dr. Mario to literal death

Haven't actually beat any games other than SMB3. Enjoying watching my cousin, non-gamer, enjoy Earthbound without me ever recommending it to her (I got her an SNES classic)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It disappoints me how little be played my NES and SNES classics. I’ve spent more time trying to get them than actually playing them.

I just want to play these games on the go on my Switch, which is 90% of how I play these days.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
i got a snes classic and played earthbound and mother 3 (both for the first time) on it. if i never touch it again it was still worth it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

VERY COOL MAN posted:

i got a snes classic and played earthbound and mother 3 (both for the first time) on it. if i never touch it again it was still worth it

How well did Mother 3 run on it?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I've cleared:

Star fox
Star fox 2 (like 30 times now I absolutely love it)
Super metroid
Super castlevania 4
Yoshi's island 100%
Super Mario world
All of Super Mario all stars

And I've played a bunch of other games on and off like sd3 and chrono trigger. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it and still switch it on every other week or so as my default when I'm indecisive about playing something else in my backlog

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

It just makes me happy that we’re not all grumpy jaded people who have lost the joy of playing old-assed video games.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It just makes me happy that we’re not all grumpy jaded people who have lost the joy of playing old-assed video games.

Anyone that thinks that a box that connects to your TV and plays Balloon Fight isn't worth $60 has problems.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Astro7x posted:

It disappoints me how little be played my NES and SNES classics. I’ve spent more time trying to get them than actually playing them.

I just want to play these games on the go on my Switch, which is 90% of how I play these days.

I mean, Homebrew for the Switch exists now. I've got working SNES and GBA emulators loaded onto mine already, it's pretty great. Making my SNESc and NESc sorta redundant though, whoops.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

SeANMcBAY posted:

How well did Mother 3 run on it?

almost flawlessly although there was some slowdown during a couple of boss fights, the conductor ghost dude was pretty rough. i left everything on default in retroarch though so it's entirely possible you could run through it flawlessly with some tweaks

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

If your heart doesn't fill up with joy with the sight of a teeny-tiny NES or SNES sitting your desk then I don't know what to say, man. It even plays games!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/thinkgeek/status/1012376809495826432

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I got my NES from Amazon UK on Monday. I knew the controller cable was supposed to be short, but was not prepared on just how short it is.

Except I'm going to be a degenerate and just use the SNES Classic controllers so I don't have to buy a second controller + 2 extension cables.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All Toys R Us are closing this month. Great place to get extensions for $1 each if your local one is still open.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Saw a good 6 or 7 of them at my local Walmart yesterday

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1012072401050525697?s=19

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I don't want the console just the standalone controllers, here's hoping finding them isn't a living hell/literally impossible

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fawf posted:

I don't want the console just the standalone controllers, here's hoping finding them isn't a living hell/literally impossible

I got mine from Amazon.es - shipped to the states. Worth the slight extra cash to do so.

C411
Jun 22, 2004
STUPID
DICK
NES classic and extra controllers are up at gamestop

https://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-nes+classic,28zu0

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

C411 posted:

NES classic and extra controllers are up at gamestop

https://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-nes+classic,28zu0

Oooh boy. I ordered a controller and paid with PayPal. The transaction shows up in my PayPal records, still pending. But on Gamestop's site, I got an error when the whole thing finished, there's no record of the transaction on my Gamestop account and the controller is still sitting in my cart.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oooh boy. I ordered a controller and paid with PayPal. The transaction shows up in my PayPal records, still pending. But on Gamestop's site, I got an error when the whole thing finished, there's no record of the transaction on my Gamestop account and the controller is still sitting in my cart.

Same thing's happening to me right now, saw some folks on twitter getting delayed emails so I'm not worried yet

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Same.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Showed up at Walmart at midnight, got an NES Classic with no waiting! So glad I didn't drop over a hundred bucks on scalpers last year.

I also bought an extra controller through Gamestop just now, and it timed out a few times, but on the fourth or fifth attempt it seemed to go through and gave me an order confirmation page with an order number and everything. I haven't received a confirmation email, though, and I don't have a Gamestop account (or didn't want to go through the hassle of cracking into it) so I can't check it see if it's logged. Let's just all cross our fingers I guess.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Controllers are up at Best Buy.

And the system, but I only needed a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Went to Walmart at midnight, they had 5 controllers. No lines. No NES Classics (They were "Delayed" and "probably arriving tomorrow during the day")

Grabbed 2 controllers, one for me and one for my co-workers.