Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Dancer posted:

There is no need to grind, friend. Unless you throw geo at the one totally unnecessary expenditure, that is explicitly designed to be a money sink, and that is likely not yet available to you (though it is indeed unlocked by something in howling cliffs), you will be swimming in pools of geo reasonably soon. If you get stuck somewhere, just find another one of the dozen unexplored areas you have available to you, and progress there. Don't lower your spirits by grinding.

I know. I’m one of the weirdos who likes to grind early so long as it makes my character stronger. The stress of thinking I could’ve had one more health bar or one more notch is what lowers my spirits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Well in that case, you do what you like :). I hope I didn't come across as needlessly critical.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

C-Euro posted:

I'm trying to think of other ways into the Waterways and I think the only way you can get into the first time is through that manhole. There are a few other routes into the Waterways but I think you can only unlock them all from within the Waterways.

the tram should work and you can get into deepnest as soon as if not before city of tears, i'd have to try it in a new game to see for sure though

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I beat the flukemarm...

Only took me half a day...

:negative:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

I beat the flukemarm...

Only took me half a day...

:negative:

Flukemarm is an interesting encounter in that it goes from really hard and annoying to completely trivial depending on whether you can one shot the little flukes or not.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the tram should work and you can get into deepnest as soon as if not before city of tears, i'd have to try it in a new game to see for sure though

I don't know, the tram takes you from Deepnest to Ancient Basin, and while there are a couple of connections between the broken lift shaft in Basin and the Waterways, one is opened up from the Waterways side and the other is that little spiked passage that may as well be one-way.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

JuniperCake posted:

Flukemarm is a terrible unfun encounter in that it goes from really hard and annoying to completely trivial depending on whether you can one shot the little flukes or not.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I will never stop laughing at the fact that there's this "boss" that I can consistently defeat within a single jump.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Edit: wrong thread.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Actually managed to take down the Hollow Knight for the first time! Managed to get the final Nail upgrade beforehand, the first two stages of the Colosseum were a lot of fun.

Now the real Dark SoulsShells starts.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I hope you're prepared for the hardest and least fun platforming segment in the game.

The no-floor section of the Trial of Fools

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

C-Euro posted:

I don't know, the tram takes you from Deepnest to Ancient Basin, and while there are a couple of connections between the broken lift shaft in Basin and the Waterways, one is opened up from the Waterways side and the other is that little spiked passage that may as well be one-way.

You can get in from Kingdom's Edge if you have the Crystal Dash, but that's the only route other than the manhole.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Darox posted:

I hope you're prepared for the hardest and least fun platforming segment in the game.

*bursts in, takes a deep breath*

The W-

*reads spoiler, checks notes*

nevermind, carry on

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Soul master has me about 5 deaths away from just deleting this game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Soul master has me about 5 deaths away from just deleting this game.

He seems tricky at first but you can do this!

If you want some tips to making your life easier hang on the rightmost side of the screen. There his slow dash forward and his move with rotating orbs both don't catch you. So now you're just waiting for dive, dive feintout dive, and single fireball shots. For the feintout, you can actually wait till he's fully teleported and still have time to dash away.

Getting back to him on a failed run is quite demoralising though. I hated retrying him too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Word, thanks. It’s mostly his second phase that is slaying me but I tend to walk out of the first with only one or two hearts so that might help

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Dancer posted:

Oh, how I've missed WP discussion :allears: .

I didn't find it too bad, although I did cheese it by equipping the Hive charm that regenerates health. I think it took me around an hour to get through it all. God help anyone going into it without that charm. Also didn't do Path of Pain yet because I didn't find it at the time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I knew if I bitched online I’d get him :v:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On the note of Dream Nailing ghosts I personally interpreted as a good thing that people don’t like. Much like the warrior dreams the ghosts are stuck in the place they died incapable of moving on for spoiler reasons, they are corpses dreaming of light.

And much like the Warrior Dreams you nailing them frees them from their dream and lets them pass on in some way. This doesn’t make it pleasant or nice, especially in the Backer Graveyard and the Butterfly who sings, but it is probably good for Hollownest as a whole instead of the kingdom drowning in its own ghosts.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I think the singer is the only ghost I didn't devour, because she added some nice ambience to her area.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trial of the Fool is extremely good, fun, and well-designed.

Unlike White Palace.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

veni veni veni posted:

Word, thanks. It’s mostly his second phase that is slaying me but I tend to walk out of the first with only one or two hearts so that might help

The spoilered bit isn't too bad as long as you're on the ball dashing out of the repeated dives, as that's the only remotely threatening thing he does

edit: oh, you got him, congrats

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

enojy posted:

I didn't find it too bad, although I did cheese it by equipping the Hive charm that regenerates health. I think it took me around an hour to get through it all. God help anyone going into it without that charm. Also didn't do Path of Pain yet because I didn't find it at the time.

I didn't have it for WP and it really wasn't that bad, all of the NPCs chilling around can be dream nailed infinitely for health

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Hive charm is extremely overrated unless they've changed it and made it somehow good

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Your Computer posted:

The Hive charm is extremely overrated unless they've changed it and made it somehow good

If by "good" you mean "able to recharge more than 1 health" then no

But if you can live for more than 5-10 seconds per attempt on PoP then it probably saves you at least 15 minutes of hitting a statue and healing

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I only ever used it in the white palace and even then I didn't wait around for it, it just meant I could go longer without having to stop and recover for free with grubsong & deep focus.

It takes way too long for masks to regenerate and costs too many slots to be actually useful anywhere else.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If by "good" you mean "able to recharge more than 1 health" then no

But if you can live for more than 5-10 seconds per attempt on PoP then it probably saves you at least 15 minutes of hitting a statue and healing

With PoP, if you just stack like the double heal charm, the more soul per hit charm, the Gain Soul on damage charm, etc. and combine them, you can basically make back all the soul you will lose, or at least you can for like 50 attempts before you ever have to go get any soul.

I just like that a lot more because having to delay at all for Hiveblood charm takes me out of the rhythm of throwing myself into it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ambivalent posted:

With PoP, if you just stack like the double heal charm, the more soul per hit charm, the Gain Soul on damage charm, etc. and combine them, you can basically make back all the soul you will lose, or at least you can for like 50 attempts before you ever have to go get any soul.

I just like that a lot more because having to delay at all for Hiveblood charm takes me out of the rhythm of throwing myself into it.

Yep, that's how I did it as well. For every couple of damage you take, you'll heal a couple of damage. It prolongs having to restock by a whole lot, way more than the hive charm does.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Darox posted:

That one is actually fun, though. It's a combat encounter where platforming is part of the challenge, not a pure soul killing platforming hell.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm stuck on a certain section of crystal peak: there are 2 smashers that are fast, as you approach from the left. Then you go down a level and approach three smashers from the right.

The first smasher you can dash across. The second smasher you need to dash then jump. the third smasher is set up so that the level you need to pass through is higher than all of the other smashers... it smashes into a hole and you need to pass over the hole. How the gently caress do I get past that smasher?

Alternatively, another way of saying this is: I am stuck in crystal peak and can't get out. I have the map and unlocked the crystal guardian bench, but my shade with 600 bux is stuck... beyond the smashers somehow even though I never passed them. I died in a place where my shade decided to be behind a locked door.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

not gonna lie, i probably got rocked by those smashers in Crystal Peaks more than I did the White Palace.

e: Sorry, to be more helpful, I'm not sure if there is a particular trick though I do know if you hold a direction when you dash you get some more distance it seems (or maybe it's just because you continue moving before and as soon as your dash ends), the timing is just a little tight.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 23, 2018

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Ambivalent posted:

not gonna lie, i probably got rocked by those smashers in Crystal Peaks more than I did the White Palace

how do I defeat the final smasher? do I just dash past it? the one that you're at the ceiling-level of the smasher? is it just timing?
edit: ^^^ yeah I did notice that. So for the final one it's just timing then :(

edit: of course I just did it first try after letting the switch charge for half an hour. Bitching online, hell yes.

redreader fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 23, 2018

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Okay, I loaded up my game because I hadn't done the crystal smashers in a bit, but just want to make sure, we're talking about this one right?

Three ways I just did it is: drop down in that little gap right there then jump when the smasher is rising, and dash when you reach the right height. Timing window feels a little easier to hit this way. The other way is to just stand up at the elevated part and just dash and lean left on your d-pad when the smasher is reaching it's height, and timing window is just there. Third way requires you to have the Crystal Heart, which I'm not sure if you have yet - just charge your crystal dash when standing there and let go when the smasher rises, this is probably the easiest timing window.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 23, 2018

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Ambivalent posted:

Okay, I loaded up my game because I hadn't done the crystal smashers in a bit, but just want to make sure, we're talking about this one right?

Three ways I just did it is: drop down in that little gap right there then jump when the smasher is rising, and dash when you reach the right height. Timing window feels a little easier to hit this way. The other way is to just stand up at the elevated part and just dash and lean left on your d-pad when the smasher is reaching it's height, and timing window is just there. Third way requires you to have the Crystal Heart, which I'm not sure if you have yet - just charge your crystal dash when standing there and let go when the smasher rises, this is probably the easiest timing window.

That looks like the one. I just did it with walking forward + normal dash. I don't have charged/crystal dash. I actually had to do it a second time because once I got my shade behind the door, behind the OTHER smashers near the conveyer belt, I realised it was easier to do the bit I had already done in the direction I'd already done it in.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can someone explain to me what the up+ A spell does?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A lot of damage.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Can someone explain to me what the up+ A spell does?

Shoots 3 partially overlapping cones above your head, each dealing a bunch of damage. If all 3 hit, I think it's the most damaging attack you have.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So it's intended to damage enemies above you?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The upgraded form also has a much bigger area, so you can hit enemies from a lot further away than with your nail.

Unlike the dive the only non-combat utility it has is unlocking its own upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
there are several enemies, and a few bosses, that like to hover above you. howling wraiths is very useful when you're fighting them. it's a handy way to deal with the flying bug spawners in deepnest, for instance.

also it makes you stall in the air for a little while, which can very occasionally be useful if you need to wait for a mobile platform or level hazard to move.