Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...more DW3 frustrations...

I am having a mild case of OCD in the form of "MUST COLLECT DIM SUM AND MUSOU WINE FROM EVERY STAGE" while going through Musou Mode.

The problem is, I can't find the stupid Dim Sum on Yuan Shao's version of Jie Ting in Xtreme Legends. I know where everybody SAYS it is, by the top-left or northwest gate at the top of the map.

Problem is, it's not there. All the pots near there are either empty, or just have health. I can find the musou wine just fine, just a bit southeast from where Yuan Shao starts. But the Dim Sum just isn't around. I actually went all over the map breaking every pot I could find looking for this stupid thing.

At this point it's the principle of the thing. I refuse to move on until I find this stupid snack. :black101:

EDIT: Hell with it, I'm pretty sure I know which pot is SUPPOSED to contain the stupid thing, but I break it, and it's empty. Something's screwy, so I guess this map just doesn't have one.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Maybe you already got it and don't remember? I don't remember 3 too well, so I don't know if that stuff respawns or not.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Never did find that Dim Sum on Yuan Shao's Jie Ting, but I'm over that. I've accepted that either the entire internet is lying, I'm blind, or my game is weird, it's one of those three and at this point I don't care which.

But can I just comment for a second how creepy it is that in DW3, Xiao Qiao calls Zhou Yu "Master"?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Man, the music in Hyrule Warriors is so good, why are all the tracks in FE warriors so bland

edit: From googling I think it's because fire emblem music is pretty bad overall, so they were hamstrung from the beginning

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 16, 2018

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
They're good so I dunno

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been enjoying the Three Kingdoms podcast quite a bit. Might have been this thread that recommended it. Thanks for that.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Max Wilco posted:

I know that the joke doesn't quite work, but I couldn't resist.

Honestly, its hard to top whats in the actual comic. IIRC the girl goes like "uhh, a trucker?... I think?"

Shinjobi posted:

I've been enjoying the Three Kingdoms podcast quite a bit. Might have been this thread that recommended it. Thanks for that.

Which one is this? I wouldn't mind a new podcast to listen to.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I believe it's just "Romance of the Three Kingdoms Podcast." I found it through the Google play store.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDr1mW_8exw

October 16th NA / 19th EU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope it doesn't want me to increase bonds with all 170....

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Looks like the musou games are part of the steam summer sale. If were to only buy one of Samurai Warriors 4-II or Spirit of Sanada, which should I get?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sanada is way more limited in terms of character selection, but it's the closest to a musou rpg.

4-2 is weird in instead of being stories like 4-1, it's character stories. They're short and repeat a lot of maps, which can burn you out fast.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't necessarily mind limited character selection if the rest of the game is engaging enough (honestly in these games I lean towards the same 2 or 3 archetypes all the time anyway).

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tae posted:

Sanada is way more limited in terms of character selection, but it's the closest to a musou rpg.
You do get to play a stage with any unlocked character after beating the chapter though? And there's none missing from the roster.

EDIT: Oh right, only exception is the very last stage which is Yukimura only.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 23, 2018

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Also, Samurai Warriors 4-2 is a pretty bad port - most controllers will have look left and right bound, without being able to change it in game, to left and right triggers.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Guh. Seriously. Who the gently caress had the bright idea, for Dynasty Warriors 4's Nanman Campaign, to have your ENTIRE ARMY TAKING CONSTANT loving MORALE HITS FOR THE ENTIRE STAGE?! Meanwhile, the enemy's morale climbs higher and higher and higher.

If you're not playing the commander and not just blitzing the bottom of the map to end it immediately (because why even play the level if you're just gonna skip the entire fuckin' thing), the only possible strategy is to get as much done as you can before your commander gets himself in poo poo, then glue your rear end to his face for the next better part of an hour grinding up to 1000 kills to max out his morale so you can leave his side for two loving minutes without him having a goddamn heart attack while you finish the rest of the map.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Plus to unlock Meng Huo you have to play the stage as intended at least once

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The only other advice that can be given is 'kill, and kill quickly'. Defeat the first two generals at the start quickly(They'll flip sides), and knock out Meng Huo the first two times quickly. If you're fast and/or killy enough, you can stabilise the situation-your allies will start earning kills without you, which can also earn you all morale. If not, it goes to hell as described.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Why is Warriors Orochi one number ahead in western territories compared to Asia?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Guh. Seriously. Who the gently caress had the bright idea, for Dynasty Warriors 4's Nanman Campaign, to have your ENTIRE ARMY TAKING CONSTANT loving MORALE HITS FOR THE ENTIRE STAGE?! Meanwhile, the enemy's morale climbs higher and higher and higher.

If you're not playing the commander and not just blitzing the bottom of the map to end it immediately (because why even play the level if you're just gonna skip the entire fuckin' thing), the only possible strategy is to get as much done as you can before your commander gets himself in poo poo, then glue your rear end to his face for the next better part of an hour grinding up to 1000 kills to max out his morale so you can leave his side for two loving minutes without him having a goddamn heart attack while you finish the rest of the map.

Oh the memories :allears:

I hope you are not planning to unlock Zhou Tai's lvl 10 weapon.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

The Moon Monster posted:

Why is Warriors Orochi one number ahead in western territories compared to Asia?

Warriors Orochi 2 is Musou Orochi 1 part 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Moon Monster posted:

Japan was Orochi 1, Orochi Z, Orochi 2

West went Orochi 1, 2, 3

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Wonderful times! The only map in the game which would consistently deliver 2000+ kills but in return take 50+ minutes to burn through.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sakurazuka posted:

Japan was Orochi 1, Orochi Z, Orochi 2

West went Orochi 1, 2, 3

Z is just the combined version of 1 and 2.

2 was just called Warriors Orochi: Rebirth of Orochi in Japan. And then after that, I assume they felt numbers were clearer than a subtitle

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's really just a time-honored KOEI tradition by now.

After all, Shin Sangoku Musou 6 is Dynasty Warriors 7

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Should have called Samurai Warriors 4 II Samurai Warriors 5 in the US just to be consistent.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Dynasty Warriors 10: Fists of Fury

Dynasty Warriors 11: The Chinese Connection

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Dynasty Warriors 12: The Days of Christmas

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

How's the port of DW 8 XL for Steam? Thinking about picking it put now that it's on sale. Same with Pirate Warriors 3, that's supposed to be the best, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Don't know how the PC port is, but Pirates 3 is my favorite musou game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I have it, it's decent. I played it on my keyboard for ages though, since I didn't have a controller I could use with my computer at the time. I uninstalled it at some point but haven't picked it back up since getting the controller I use now.

I don't know how it stacks up to the console version, or if it's a shoddily done port in any way, but I never had any issues with it myself. If you're willing to spend a little extra, the one (and only) DLC I actually bought was the "New Stage & Animal Pack", as it adds various versions of maps from DW3, 4, 5, and 5XL.

Specifically, the maps it adds are:

Battle of Bowangpo (Bo Wan Po from DW4)
Guan Yu's Escape, the DW3 version.
The Pacification of Jiang Dong from DW4, the fight against Liu Xun and Yuan Shu.
Battle of Mount Qi (DW5XL, I think?)
Invasion of Nanzhong (Wu vs Nanman, DW5)
Battle of Yangping Gate (DW5XL)
Battle of Liang Province (Dong Zhuo vs Ma Chao/Teng/etc, DW5)
Battle of Hanshui (DW5XL)

The Weapon System Pack (I didn't grab it) also adds three different weapon types, that were otherwise introduced in 8: Empires, Meng Huo's Stele... pole... pillar, thing, Lianshi's Duck Hooks, and Liu Shan's "Dragon Column" aka a loving bench.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 24, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Vincent posted:

How's the port of DW 8 XL for Steam? Thinking about picking it put now that it's on sale. Same with Pirate Warriors 3, that's supposed to be the best, right?

It's fine. It just has the issue which most of Koei's and other console-centric developer's ports do where the controls aren't bound to the right buttons by default, so you'll probably have to reconfigure them to the right buttons depending on what controller you're using.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Vincent posted:

How's the port of DW 8 XL for Steam? Thinking about picking it put now that it's on sale.

Pretty good. Had to reconfigure the controls a bit so my muscle memory wouldn't bamboozle me with unnecessary musou attacks on one dweeby private, but I've racked up 300 hours so it must be doing something right.

The DLC stages are alright too, especially the "you alone vs the entire map" stages.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
On the other hand, for whatever reason, the PC port uses the PS3 models/textures instead of the PS4 ones, in case that will bother you. Koei is weird.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Cool, thanks y'all!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As an aside, the updated Bo Wan Po map is neat for one reason, the Wei side had a generic officer for their strategist there in DW4.

Xu Shu.

He ain't generic no more. So that's a nice little touch. And kinda fitting, as even back then, in this map he kinda gets worked over by Zhuge Liang tactically, and moans that he's no match for him, whereas in DW8, Xu Shu's entire personality pre-Chi Bi (where either Wei or Shu earns his loyalty by convincing him to prove himself) seems to be low self-esteem.

EDIT: I do love how completing or not completing certain missions, and doing certain things in DW4's musou modes would affect other maps in the same act. Like, killing Zhang Liang and Zhang Bao in Yellow Turban Menace/Yellow Turban Fortress will stop them showing up in Yellow Turban Rebellion. Beat them both though, and Zhang Jiao gets pissed, and rolls boulders down the final hill before his area.

I'm going through Dong Zhuo's musou mode, and Campaign against Liu Bei and Campaign and Cao Cao are in the same act. In the Campaign against Liu Bei, if you beat Mi Fang three times, he surrenders and joins you. Carry on to Campaign against Cao Cao, and lo and behold, Mi Fang will show up among your forces there. Little details. And in fact, noticing where he was on the minimap reminded me of a terrain detail I'd uhh, kind of embarrassingly forgotten about that map...

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 26, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Some things can even affect things later on. If Dong Zhuo survives Hu Lao, he can turn up later.

Lu Bu Wei-side can survive Xiapi(Or you could just ignore it), and will haunt you through most of the Wei campaign.

It's nice, but it also means you want a guide for some things. As some stages have requirements, and some stages for a side can only be unlocked after you've cleared a side's campaign once in any case. On XBOX(Where I first played DW4), I never unlocked everything. Now I have DW4 Hyper(Pc Port), I could probably make a better go at it. Just need to find something concise about it.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 26, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Bloodly posted:

Some things can even affect things later on. If Dong Zhuo survives Hu Lao, he can turn up later.

Lu Bu Wei-side can survive Xiapi(Or you could just ignore it), and will haunt you through most of the Wei campaign.

It's nice, but it also means you want a guide for some things. As some stages have requirements, and some stages for a side can only be unlocked after you've cleared a side's campaign once in any case. On XBOX(Where I first played DW4), I never unlocked everything. Now I have DW4 Hyper(Pc Port), I could probably make a better go at it. Just need to find something concise about it.

Well, if nothing else, most (if not all) stages can be unlocked in just two runs of each main kingdom's musou mode (and one run of the others, of course). There are a few that conflict, but there's enough wiggle room to hit all of them in two runs. In my recent clean-start file of DW4, I messed up in my first run through Wu and Shu, so I won't be able to get all the ones I missed cleanly in a single run, but I can get creative with save slots to deal with that. Mostly keeping a save before Chi Bi for both, as that's where the path splits for all three kingdoms, whether Zhuge Liang/The Fire Attack succeeds or not determining which kingdom you take out first.

Also, one thing I noticed while going through Lu Bu's campaign. Out of the five saddles in DW4, you get three of them while fighting against Cao Cao. Red Hare is Xia Pi on Lu Bu's side, Storm Harness is Campaign against Cao Cao, again Lu Bu's side, then Shadow Harness is Tong Gate as Ma Chao.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I haven't played any of these games in forever (DW3 on PS2 iirc) and had a hankering for stupid couch coop where we kill thousands for the fun of it.

Is DW8 the best place to dive back in on the PS4 or are there any other strong contenders for my time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nickiepoo posted:

I haven't played any of these games in forever (DW3 on PS2 iirc) and had a hankering for stupid couch coop where we kill thousands for the fun of it.

Is DW8 the best place to dive back in on the PS4 or are there any other strong contenders for my time?

I like One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 more, but if you want the Romance of the Three Kingdoms storyline, 8 or the Xtreme Legends version is probably best.