Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
One good thing about LTTP Rando is that it can help you develop skills like routing, which is useful in a lot of places outside LTTPR. It's one of those skills you won't really have a chance to refine if you play a game that's understood so well that all you can do is follow a guide, like... LTTP NMG.

It's also good at increasing general execution skill for that game, and while the times are all over the place you can still get a general feel for if you're doing well or badly. Plus there are races of it all the time :v:

It's also good at being a game where resetting a run is always a bad option. More execution-heavy games like SMB1 can turn into a game where you play the first stage a thousand times and the second stage maybe 20, and finish one out of every 5,000 runs. An exaggeration, but especially at higher levels of SMB3 it's not uncommon to see a bunch of resets because of a slightly mistimed jump or a slow start on 1-1 and 1-2 respectively.

My main problem with "following a guide" speedrunning is that you don't really learn the game at all, you just learn a series of inputs to beat it fast. The Kirby's Dream Course speedrun competition on Speedgaming was a really good showing of this effect; there was a pastebin* that had exact notes of what to do, where to aim, and when to use abilities ... but the moment someone in that race missed a shot by a pixel or used an ability too late, they fell apart. They didn't know how to recover or basic things about how the game actually worked. They would waste time trying to nudge Kirby back towards where they 'should' have been, or sometimes just flailed around until they game-overed and had to restart the whole course.

Everyone's speedrunning preferences are different, though. If you're really good at execution, a game like Celeste or SMB1 is a good choice.

* It's not an effortpost without a pastebin mention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When it comes to golf games like nes golf or mario golf or kirby's dream course, do they time it by actual time spent playing the game or by amount of strokes they used to get into the hole?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

When it comes to golf games like nes golf or mario golf or kirby's dream course, do they time it by actual time spent playing the game or by amount of strokes they used to get into the hole?

Golf is usually time spent playing, which implies fewest strokes possible. Strokes generally have a wind up animation, flight animation and rolling animation all of which add time. The only time I've seen people take extra strokes is if it skips a large portion of the course.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

FirstAidKite posted:

Time spent. I watch quite a lot of Toadstool Tour, and that run will often build up enough of a lead to be able to skip holes (which gives you +8)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Quick someone post that crazy TAS of the weird Japanese golf game

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

axeil posted:

this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk9dhHG_qnQ

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Yep, that's the one!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
In kirbys dream course a hole I one plays a little animation and gives you a 1up so it's actuary faster to get 2s on a lot of courses

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
Got a pretty sick wr run in Kid Chameleon last night, pretty close to my goal time of sub 27. There's a high chance this is the best run I'll get before gdq so it's a good preview of what the run is supposed to look like :prepop:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/274978886

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like this video is a pretty good representation of speedrunning in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UjHwZXOejU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like this video is a pretty good representation of speedrunning in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UjHwZXOejU

"932 attempts"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Why make a new shitpost thread when we can just use this one

it'll save time :twisted:
Nah, if you're gonna skip out on making one of the threads, make this one the seriousposting thread, otherwise it will be consumed under the weight of... how many pages was the AGDQ thread, again? It must have been hundreds from the awful block alone.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Battle toads and double dragon is out because Mecha can't make it due to family stuff. PJ playing BCR2 is in instead with the hype mode incentive.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Kins posted:

Nah, if you're gonna skip out on making one of the threads, make this one the seriousposting thread, otherwise it will be consumed under the weight of... how many pages was the AGDQ thread, again? It must have been hundreds from the awful block alone.

Assless Chaps, never forget.

Still mad I lost my gangtags when someone changed my av.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boogalo posted:

Battle toads and double dragon is out because Mecha can't make it due to family stuff. PJ playing BCR2 is in instead with the hype mode incentive.

I wish there could be a donation incentive to have PJ speedrun either Robotrek or Drakkhen at a GDQ. It's a bummer he always does Bionic Commando, though I'm sure that's what he's most comfortable with.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

axeil posted:

"932 attempts"

Only?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Aw dang. :( At least it's being replaced with something we know is amazing.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The Kins posted:

HE LIVES IN
CYBERSPACE
TO SHITPOST ABOUT
THE VIDEO GAMES

axeil posted:

If that's your standard for weird Japanese golf games, buddy have I got news for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3M5WBoyeJs&t=1s

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thread is not HYPE HOIP enough. :colbert:

Anyway, I definitely agree that we at least need a livechat/shitpost thread.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Not to worry. SGDQ threads will be posted some time during Saturday.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

gonna miss a chunk of sunday to go to the pride parade but i'm looking forward to another week of epic shitposting with speedfriends :D

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
This is the only time of the year where my posting speeds creep up to where I can compete with the diehard shitposters. One brief shining moment of having that shitposting record before having it clawed back by the guys that live the speedposting life.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Sage Grimm posted:

This is the only time of the year where my posting speeds creep up to where I can compete with the diehard shitposters. One brief shining moment of having that shitposting record before having it clawed back by the guys that live the speedposting life.

:emptyquote:

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

:coolspot:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

the best part of GDQ are the shitposts

I'm excited, it's like going back to summer camp every year and finding all your old friends but also making new ones :unsmith:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm vainly hoping for another donation comment shoutout to the chat thread. That was a great little moment. :3:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i desire to grapple people who say "shitpost" and powerbomb them off the empire state

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh right, I forgot to hide my rural roots. Can't say such vulgar things around you people!

So about that pooposting manure matriculation..

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Not to worry. SGDQ threads will be posted some time during Saturday.

Wait a drat minute y'all idiots are doing the stream during pride weekend, lol

Well I hope nothing good is on for the those two days

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
wait is sgdq next week?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

I'm vainly hoping for another donation comment shoutout to the chat thread. That was a great little moment. :3:

I've gotten my donation comments read 2 GDQs in a row. Hoping to keep up the momentum.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

heeheex2 posted:

wait is sgdq next week?

starts sunday.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

And Glover's the first run.

You ready Heehee?????

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
dont make me look the schedule up to see if you're lyin to me

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Glover is every run.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm still kinda overwhelmed from the last event. The football world cup running at the same time doesn't really help with the live watching, but I'll have GDQ running, just probably gonna have to skip more stuff I'm particularly not interested in. Looking forward to some live shitposting though.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Looking forward to watching world cup at the GDQ bar with internet friends.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
can't wait to watch the 0x A press mario 64 run this agdq

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Threads are gonna go up basically as soon as I find the regular size banners in original quality, which means when ShadowWraith gives them to me. What I've found so far are imgur albums of Twitter-sized and Facebook-sized banners, and a Twitter post with the original banners - uploaded to Twitter which I'm a) pretty sure mucks with the quality and 2) I can't actually view/save image on them.

Stay tuned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Studio posted:

Glover is every run.

Summer Glover Done Quick