Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Your leg hurts, but it doesn’t slow you down much. You run back into the street to escape the rat-man.

And right into a fight.

The ninja men followed you here. They have Stephanie cornered. When they notice you, they just laugh.

“Steph! Let’s move!” you shout.

But it’s no use. As soon as you turn to dart away, another Mortal Revenge villain appears out of nowhere, blocking your path. He’s wearing a leather jacket. A ski mask covers his face.

You freeze. Three martial arts experts behind you. One in front of you. Are you doomed?

Your new attacker rips off the ski mask. You gasp.

It’s Jenna!

“You have one wish left,” Jenna informs you with an evil glare. “And let me tell you what it is. You wish that I weren’t a genie. You wish I were an ordinary person with no magical powers. Now say it! Say that’s your wish – and set me free!”

You take a step backward.

And feel the hot breath of a Mortal Revenge ninja on your neck.

quote:

You realize you’re trembling. Jenna’s eyes glow with hate.

“Okay,” you mutter. There goes your final wish. But you have no choice.

Jenna hurls a cola can at you. “Do the deed,” she snarls.

You yank the can’s flip top. “I wish...” you mumble.

“Say it so I can hear you!” Jenna shrieks. The Mortal Revenge guys circle you and Stephanie. You are surrounded.

“I wish you weren’t a genie,” you say. “I wish you were an ordinary person with no magical powers.”

The cola can shakes in your hand. It gets hot – so hot that you drop it to the ground. Instead of being blinded by white misty smoke, everything goes black. A blackness filled with a horrible sound – the sound of Jenna’s terrifying, screaming laughter.

Finally the blackness fades away. The shrieking stops. Slowly, you open your eyes.

You’re home! Your old home! No mansion! No multiple entertainment centers! Just you and Stephanie playing a regular video game. On an ordinary TV.

“What happened?” Stephanie asks. “That game seemed so real.”

“Yeah,” you agree. “Too real. But I have a feeling we won in

THE END."

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Accidentally wasted all our wishes within two minutes of getting them.
Transported a few centuries into the past with no way of getting home.
Failed to get our mom back and got saddled with 100 clones of us.
Got chopped into ribbons by the final boss of Mortal Revenge.

Achievements
Can't Believe That Worked: Made Jenna give us unlimited wishes.
Meet the New Mom: Survived the adventure, but failed to bring our mom back.
It's the Dark Souls of Horror Books: Encountered a total of 150 bad endings.
:siren:Genies Are Overrated, Anyway: Freed Jenna from the cola can and returned to our normal life.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Wish to be a celebrity.
  • Wish to be good-looking.
  • Go to the mall with Peter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let's go to the mall, today!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So Jenna's evil endgame was to be a normal person that didn't have to be stuck in a soda can?

That seems fairly reasonable, honestly.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So Jenna's evil endgame was to be a normal person that didn't have to be stuck in a soda can?

Just like that one X-Files episode.

http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Je_Souhaite

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

How is this not a good ending exactly?

.... But anyway, Let's be beautiful!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, Jenna's motivations are pretty understandable on this route. The problem is that she's more than willing to put us into mortal danger in order to engineer her escape.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

How is this not a good ending exactly?

If given the option, I'll always try to make the goal ending one of the very last endings on a route so we get to see more of the book. Even then, there's still some content we wind up missing, such as the optional future-path sidequest in Tick Tock, You're Dead! where we team up with a resistance group to overthrow the robots, or the majority of the Canine Maze from The Deadly Experiments of Dr. Eeek.

Anyway, we have one vote for going to the mall with Peter and one vote for wishing to be good-looking, so we'll have to wait for a tie-breaker again.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Go to the mall

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, Jenna's motivations are pretty understandable on this route. The problem is that she's more than willing to put us into mortal danger in order to engineer her escape.

I guess she didn't have a plan for us getting our head cut off by a rat man.

Rebonack7 posted:

Even then, there's still some content we wind up missing, such as the optional future-path sidequest in Tick Tock, You're Dead! where we team up with a resistance group to overthrow the robots, or the majority of the Canine Maze from The Deadly Experiments of Dr. Eeek.

I heard there's an ending in the Canine Maze where you get killed by dogs. As someone with a phobia of dogs, I'm okay with missing that. :ohdear:

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

So that's one section where she's not evil at all, just seems to have relatively little control over her powers, and where we end up actually killing her in the "good ending", and one where her "evil plot" is to force you to wish her into a normal person. How is she an evil genie again?

Also, why did our genius protagonist not just wish them out of the game so he'd be safe AND keep his money?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Adamant posted:

So that's one section where she's not evil at all, just seems to have relatively little control over her powers, and where we end up actually killing her in the "good ending", and one where her "evil plot" is to force you to wish her into a normal person. How is she an evil genie again?

Yeah, it's really not a particularly accurate title, is it? She doesn't seem to do a whole lot of screaming, either.

Anyway, mall time!

quote:

You give the driver Peter’s address. Then you cast your eyes around the back seat. You spot a cellular phone. Plus a mini-bar, a TV, a laptop computer, and a CD player.

You grab the remote and notice a bulging wallet on top of the TV. Your eyes widen. It’s filled with hundred-dollar-bills!

“Uh, excuse me.” You lean forward to talk to the driver.

“My name is Manny,” he tells you.

“Sorry,” you say. “I don’t know how I could’ve forgotten. So... um... Manny. Is the money in this wallet back here mine?”

“Of course,” Manny replies.

All right! This will buy a lot of fries at the food court!

You tuck the wallet into your pocket, then pick up the cellular-phone and punch in Peter’s number.

“Peter!” you yell into the phone. “You won’t believe where I’m calling from! Wait for me in front of your house!”

When the car pulls into Peter’s driveway, Peter is standing by the curb. He watches as you climb out of the car.

You look up just in time to see his jaw drop open and his eyes bulge out as if they’re going to pop.

“Peter, are you okay?” you ask.

But all Peter can do is scream! "AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!"

quote:

"AAAAHHHHHHH!" your friend Peter yells. “That is the coolest car I’ve ever seen!”

“I know. Isn’t it awesome?” you shout. “And it’s all mine. I’m rich! Peter, I’m rich!”

A neighbor, watering the lawn, glances in your direction. Two kids on bikes stare at you as they ride by.

Manny pops his head out the car window. “I wouldn’t go announcing that to the whole world if I were you,” he warns.

But why shouldn’t you tell everyone you’re rich? It’s the truth, isn’t it?

“I’m rich!” you shout again.

“I know,” Peter exclaims. “I saw on TV that you won the lottery. Your face was all over the evening news.”

You reach into your pocket, grab the bulging wallet, and pull out a wad of bills. You hand one to Peter. “Remember that dollar I owe you? Here’s a hundred!”

Peter looks shocked. He gazes at the bill in his hand.

“Hop in the car,” you tell him. “We’re hitting the mall!”

quote:

Peter continues staring at the money you gave him as he follows you toward the Rolls Royce.

“What’s the matter?” you tease. “Haven’t you ever seen a hundred-dollar-bill before? I’ve got plenty more!”

You toss some hundred-dollar-bills in the air, then climb into the car. Peter scrambles in after you. As you drive away, you glance back. Several neighbors are snatching the bills off the ground.

“You have to be more careful,” Manny scolds from the front seat. “Money can make people act crazy.”

“Manny, you worry too much.” You stretch out against the roomy back seat. “From now on, we’re going to have fun.”

You and Peter help yourselves to sodas and snacks from the mini-bar. “First, we’re going to replace our old sneakers with high-tech models,” you explain to Peter on the way to the mall.

“Next, we’re going to see all the movies at the twelve-plex. Then we’ll head over to the food court and eat one of everything!”

“Mmmph!” Peter nods happily, his mouth full of corn chips.

As Manny guides the Rolls into a parking spot, a crowd gathers. They seem to be talking about the car.

quote:

“Awesome wheels,” a little boy comments as you and Peter hop out of your Rolls Royce.

“Want to go for a ride in it?” you offer. You turn to the driver. “Okay, Manny? We won’t be ready to leave for awhile.”

“If that’s what you want,” Manny responds uncertainly.

“Great!” the little boy cheers. “Come on, Ma! Let’s go!” He tugs his mother’s hand. She smiles at you as they get into the car.

“Me too!” A man yells. “Can I go too?”

“Sure!” You wave your arms. “You can all go!”

The crowd cheers and then scrambles into the Rolls.

“That was fun,” you tell Peter as the car drives away. “Now let’s check out the mall!”

Do you want to go to the food court first? Turn to PAGE 17.

Or do you want to hit the sporting goods store? Turn to PAGE 81.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Wallet:siren:

Bad Endings

Achievements
Genies Are Overrated, Anyway: Freed Jenna from the cola can and returned to our normal life.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Manny doesn't get paid enough for this. :(

Let's go to the food court since I assume Jenna's soda can will show up there for some reason.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah this is gonna end well. I can't wait to learn an Aesop!

but first, let's eat

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Yes, worship the rich!

Food court

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Rebonack7 posted:

Yeah, it's really not a particularly accurate title, is it? She doesn't seem to do a whole lot of screaming, either.

The Norwegian title was just "The genie in the soda", which was a lot more fitting. I can see why they changed it.

Manny is totally getting fired for not paying attention in the "don't let our son get himself kidnapped" class.

Also, this kid turned down trying out his new "every videogame ever" collection so he could go to the mall and buy some new shoes. Stine knows how kids think.

Food Court, I guess. I don't remember how that choice goes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's a time to game and a time to look good. :colbert:

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You head for the food court. You can’t resist buying a few things along the way: a ring for your mother, a CD Walkman for your brother, a stuffed dinosaur for your sister, and a shower radio for your dad. At each store you tell the clerk to “keep the change.” It’s fun to see their shocked faces when you do!

At the food court, you pile your tray high with all your favorite junk food. Peter does the same thing.

The cashier tells you you’re going to get sick eating all that. But you just smile and hand her a hundred-dollar-bill. “Keep the change,” you tell her. Then you follow Peter to a table.

“Shopping is a great way to work up an appetite,” you joke.

“I know what you mean.” Peter takes a slurp of his chocolate shake. He glances past you. “That’s weird,” he mutters.

“What?” You turn around in your chair to see what he’s staring at. A small crowd is gathering at the edge of the food court. Some of them point at you.

“Aren’t those the salespeople from the stores we were in?”

You gaze at the group. “I think you’re right,” you murmur. “I wonder what they want?”

quote:

A girl approaches you. “I heard you were giving away hundred-dollar-bills,” she says.

“Uh, yeah. I guess. Kind of.” You aren’t sure how to answer.

“Well, can I have one?”

You are startled by her request. Then you shrug. Why not? You’re the richest kid alive. “Sure,” you say and hand her one.

She stares at the money in her hand. Then she turns to the crowd. “You were right, Angie!” she shrieks. “This kid is giving away money!”

The room erupts! People rush at you.

“Hey!” you shout. “One at a time!”

But they don’t listen. The crowd is screaming, tearing at your pockets. You are terrified. These people are crazy! “Help!” you shriek. Peter pulls you under the table with him. Together you crawl along the floor. The crazed mob overturns tables and chairs, searching for you.

“Now what?” Peter croaks, terrified.

“Back there!” You point at a hot-dog booth in the corner of the food court. The little store is dark and empty. It must be closed, but it looks like a great place to hide.

Or you could make a break for it. Try to outrun the crowd.

If you try to run, turn to PAGE 93.

If you hide behind the hot-dog counter, turn to PAGE 64.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Wallet

Bad Endings

Achievements
Genies Are Overrated, Anyway: Freed Jenna from the cola can and returned to our normal life.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Hide and they'll give up eventually... we hope

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hide. This path appears to be a Randian parable about how the greatest enemy of the capitalist superman is the grasping parasite.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Android Blues posted:

Hide. This path appears to be a Randian parable about how the greatest enemy of the capitalist superman is the grasping parasite.

Or a parable about how stupidity never pays. This has to be the most obnoxiously idiotic protagonist in gamebook history.

They'll definitely spot us we run, so hiding is probably better.

(Also, why are we buying presents for our parents, the ones that specifically instructed our servants to not let us out of the house? That's literally just admitting to them that we did something we weren't allowed to. It's like a 12 year old paying someone to buy him a pack of smokes, then offering his dad a cig. You don't do that poo poo)

Adamant fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 19, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Manny warned us but we didn't listen! :negative:

Run for your life!

Adamant posted:

(Also, why are we buying presents for our parents, the ones that specifically instructed our servants to not let us out of the house? That's literally just admitting to them that we did something we weren't allowed to. It's like a 12 year old paying someone to buy him a pack of smokes, then offering his dad a cig. You don't do that poo poo)

I think it's well-established by now that our player character isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

That said, I do wonder what happened to their siblings on this route.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 19, 2018

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

That hot-dog counter looks like a perfect hiding place. If you can reach it, you might be safe there until things calm down.

You and Peter crawl as fast as you can under the food court tables. Your knees feel bruised and your hands are sticky from the spilled food on the floor. But you reach the booth unnoticed.

Quickly, you jump up and leap over the counter.

BRINGGG! BRINGGG! BRINGGG!

A blaring siren blasts your ears.

Lights start flashing as the siren shrieks louder and louder.

“All right, all right, break it up!” you hear someone order.

It’s the mall police! Now you’re in trouble!

In fact, you’re in BIG trouble. Breaking and entering is a serious crime. They thought you were trying to rob the place.

You try to tell them you’re the richest kid in the world. That you could buy that hot-dog shop. That you could buy the whole mall!

Too bad they don’t buy your story. So for you it’s bye-bye.

THE END

Not really much of a bad ending, is it? Even assuming our family can't be bothered to bail us out, jumping the counter of a hot dog stand doesn't seem like the kind of crime that gets you 25 to life.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Wallet

Bad Endings
:siren:Arrested for accidentally breaking into a hot dog stand at the food court.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Wish to be a celebrity.
  • Wish to be good-looking.
  • Go to the sporting goods store.
  • Run from the mob.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Run! Again!

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

"Too bad they don’t buy your story. "
But it was mentioned a couple posts ago that we were on the national news for winning the lottery. It's not like the genie just magicked a ton of cash into our house, she altered reality to make us legally rich. Come the gently caress on, book.

And yeah, this is just the mall police, we weren't even arrested. They'll just call our parents and get us into roughly as much trouble with them as we were getting into anyway for this dumb mall trip. This is a werewolf book-tier ending.

Run

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is there not a poo poo ton of hundred dollar bills on the player character right now? As well as a number of witnesses who saw them enter in a limo and hand out money? And the mall cops think they're trying to rob a hot dog stand!? :psyduck:

Run!

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is there not a poo poo ton of hundred dollar bills on the player character right now? As well as a number of witnesses who saw them enter in a limo and hand out money?

Also a private driver of said limo who's probably going to come back to the mall and look for us within an hour or so unless those random people we told him to give a ride didn't beat him up and steal the car.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Follow me!” you shout to Peter.

Peter is too terrified to answer you, but he nods. You make a dash for it, knocking people out of your way as you go. You make it through the entrance to the food court and up an escalator before you look back.

You glance down and see that the crowd below you is beginning to scatter. They must have given up searching for you.

You and Peter keep your heads down as you weave in and out of the shoppers. You manage to make it to the parking lot without anyone recognizing you.

You’ve never been so happy to see a car in your whole life! You and Peter jump into the waiting Rolls Royce.

“Home!” you tell Manny. “Hurry – let’s go home!”

“No way.” Peter shakes his head. “Take me to my house. I’m not hanging out with you anymore. It’s too dangerous!”

You plead with Peter to change his mind, but he won’t. So Manny drops Peter off at his own house. Then the driver takes you back to the mansion.

You dread seeing James. You know you’ll be in trouble for sneaking out. You wonder what James will do.

quote:

“I warned you not to go outside,” James scolds when you return. “Your parents will be very angry when they get back.”

“Where are my parents, James?” You ask.

“They went to Honolulu for lunch on the family jet. But they’ll be home soon. And this time I won’t let you out of my sight.”

Great. Just what you need. James hanging on your every move.

You wander around the mansion, bored. James follows you wherever you go. But even when you ask nicely, he refuses to leave you alone. And he won’t play with you, either.

“I am a butler, not a playmate,” he informs you.

How totally stupid is this? Your house is loaded with everything you’ve ever wanted. But you can’t have any fun. You’re a prisoner, trapped in your own house. And now you have James the watchdog, spying on you.

This wish isn’t exactly working out the way you had planned.

Then you have an idea.

quote:

“That’s it!” you cry. “The answer!”

“What is it?” James asks. He raises an eyebrow.

You ignore his question. You’re too busy figuring out a plan. Yes! You’ll fix everything with another wish!

Now all you have to do is find that cola can.

“James!” You smile at the butler. “Do we have any cola?”

“There are forty cases of cola in the pantry. Shall I get you a can?”

Forty cases? Uh-oh. Which can has the genie in it?

If you open every can until you find the genie, turn to PAGE 59.

If you order James to do it for you and check out the big-screen TV instead, turn to PAGE 8.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Arrested for accidentally breaking into a hot dog stand at the food court.

Achievements

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
like gently caress James is getting one of our wishes - we'll do it ourselves

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Time for a rousing game of 99 cans of soda on the wall.

Why do I have the feeling the protagonist is going to wish to be middle class again instead of wishing everyone forgot about him throwing around money earlier and deciding to be more cautious in the future?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Uh, no thank you, James,” you tell the butler. “I’ll get the cola myself. Just tell me where it is.”

A few minutes later, you’re sitting in the pantry, surrounded by forty cases of cola. James posts himself right outside.

It’s going to be a big job to open all of these cans.

FSST! POP. FSST. FSST. POP. FSST...

Your finger begins to hurt from prying up all those little metal fliptops. You open the cans faster and faster.

FSST. PSSST. POP. FSST. FSST. FSST...

FSSSZZZZRRRRRRT!

“WHOA!” you cry as blue gas sprays from the can. You drop the can to the floor.

You watch in amazement as the can spins around on the floor, vibrating and humming. The blue gas continues to pour out.

Blue gas? What’s going on? It wasn’t blue before, and it didn’t shoot out of the can with such force.

You’re struck by the horrible feeling that something very different is happening this time.

The hissing sound grows louder and louder. Then you fling your arms over your face as the can explodes! Shards of metal fly through the air, and something huge bursts out of the can!

quote:

Amazingly, you survive the explosion with only a scratch on your arm.

The blue mist completely fills the room now. And floating inside the cloud is a terrifying sight.

A genie. And it’s not Jenna. No, it’s a very different genie.

A fat, monstrous-looking man, in a gold satin shirt and black metallic pants, hovers above you. Green warts cover his leathery face and hands, making him look like a toad. He must be about seven feet tall.

“You rang?” he snarls, as he floats before you in mid-air.

“No!” you cry out nervously. “I mean, maybe. Where’s Jenna? What’s going on?”

“Jenna called in sick,” the warty guy growls. “I’m filling in for her. My name is Toobah.” He floats over to you and breathes hard in your face.

Ewwwww. Your nose wrinkles at the smell of his breath. It’s sour, like bad milk.

“You’ve got two wishes left.” His voice booms at you from above. “And if you’re smart, you’ll use one of them to wish you’d never met me!”

If you take your chances with Toobah, turn to PAGE 100.

If you take his advice and wish you'd never met him, turn to PAGE 122.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Cola Can

Bad Endings

Achievements

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Rebonack7 posted:

They went to Honolulu for lunch on the family jet.

What. But it's the protag that won the lottery, not the parents. Parents are allowed to make decisions for what underage children are allowed to do with their money, but this is literally just stealing.

Also, our hero just demonstrated to himself exactly why his parents didn't allow him to leave the house, and he's still calling it unfair? Seriously?

Toobah's advice sounds like a trick, gimme my real wish and let's hope Stine or whatever ghostwriter is writing this didn't decide it had to be something too stupid. I trust Toobah more than I trust the protag.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Shut up, Toobah, you're not my real dad.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 22, 2018

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
How do we know it's not Jenna shapeshifted into Toobah?

Let's take our chances and wish we never met him.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Adamant posted:

What. But it's the protag that won the lottery, not the parents. Parents are allowed to make decisions for what underage children are allowed to do with their money, but this is literally just stealing.

To be fair, we've just demonstrated that we're literally the worst at money management, so it's entirely plausible we gave them permission to do that at some point.

quote:

Use up a wish just to get rid of this guy? you think. You only have two left!

Nah. No way.

“No,” you tell the big ugly genie. “I wish that –“

You hesitate, thinking about how to phrase it. What you really want, more than anything in the world, is for your first wish to work out just fine. You want to be rich – but normal. You want to be able to go visit your friends. Without being followed. Or being afraid.

But before you can say another word, the genie snaps his fingers.

POOF!

In a cloud of blue smoke, a giant fanged rattlesnake appears in the room. It raises itself up into striking position and hovers over your head. Venom drips from its fangs, and nearly splashes you.

You freeze in absolute terror. Every muscle in your body locks. You don’t dare move.

The snake leans forward, hissing right in your face!

quote:

You stare into the snake’s tiny eyes. You hear the genie laugh and snap his fingers.

POOF. POOF. POOF.

Instantly, you are surrounded by three more giant poisonous rattlesnakes, almost as big as the first. They all bare their fangs, dripping venom.

The poison pools on the tile floor in the pantry. It starts seeping toward your feet. You can’t believe what’s happening.

You scrunch up your toes. You pull your shoulders in, trying to make yourself smaller. But the snakes close in.

HISSSSS! The largest one opens its jaws even wider. In two seconds, your head will be inside its mouth.

“Help me!” you squeak in a tiny voice.

“Sure. Just make a wish,” the genie says with a cruel laugh.

Fear fills every blood vessel in your body. You can’t think clearly. All you want is to get away – far away!

“I wish... I wish... I wish I were any place but here!” you cry, still frozen to your spot.

POOF!

quote:

WHOOSH!

A burst of smoke blinds you. You feel yourself hurtling through space.

“Wait!” you cry out.

But it’s too late.

When the spinning and tumbling finally stop, a cool refreshing breeze blows on your face. Your eyes pop open, and you shake your head to clear it.

“Wow!” you cry out, excited. “The beach!”

You hear a soft lapping sound – the sound of water gently licking the shore. Cool island breezes blow through your hair. A salty smell fills your nose.

You shield your eyes from the sun, squinting to take in the fabulous scene before you.

Sand. Palm trees. Rocks. Aqua-blue water so clear, you can see the brightly-colored fish darting just beneath the surface.

This is great! you think. I love the beach!

Then you glance behind you. Beside you. All around.

There’s nobody there. No one. No genie. No nothing.

The place seems deserted.

You are totally alone!

quote:

You race to the water’s edge, then start jogging along the beach to see where it leads.

You figure you’ll eventually find a resort or something.

You spot footprints in the sand! Then you realize that they’re yours! You’ve run in a big circle. You’re back to where you started. It’s an island! A deserted island!

You flop down on the beach. And sit straight back up.

There’s a rustling sound in the trees behind you. Maybe you’re not as alone on this island as you thought.

Thick trees, hung with dense vines and brightly-colored flowers, crowd the middle of the island. It looks like a small, dark jungle.

“Hello?” you call out. “Anybody here?”

The trees stop rustling.

You listen hard, but the lapping of the waves makes it difficult to hear.

“Helllll-ooooo!” you shout, cupping your hands to your mouth.

Nothing.

And then you hear a roar. An animal roar!

If you look for a place to hide, turn to PAGE 72.

Or maybe you're better off staying where you are. You'd hate to get lost, or worse. If you stay put, turn to PAGE 65.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 23, 2018

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

I remember this section, it has the best ending in the entire book.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The last time we ran from an animal was against that dragon, right? At least, that's the last time I remember.

So let's wait and see what it is!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

At least on the beach, you have a clear view all around you. You have a better chance of escaping from something in the open.

And besides, you reassure yourself, if something horrible happens, you still have one more wish left. You can still use it to save yourself.

Well, if you’re stuck on a deserted island, you might as well try to enjoy yourself. You run down to the water and splash around in the waves for a while.

The water is bright clear blue. Cool but not cold. Beautiful orange-and-black striped fish dart away from your feet.

Everything would be perfect. Except for the rustling and the roaring sound coming from the jungle. That keeps moving closer.

Pretty soon, you realize that you’re dying of thirst. But now you’re afraid to come out of the water. Afraid of the beast in the jungle.

And as far as you can see, there’s not a thing to drink in sight. No fresh babbling brook. No cooler full of lemonade. No cola machines...

“Hold it a minute!” you sputter, realizing something.

Cola! Where’s the can of cola with the genie in it?

“Without that can, I’ll never get off this island!” you moan.

quote:

The cola can! Where is the cola can?

As if in answer to your silent question, roars come echoing out of the jungle again.

It sounds as if the beast has moved to the trees at the very edge of the beach. What kind of beast is it? you wonder.

Your heart starts to pound wildly. Your blood pumps so hard in your veins, you can feel it throbbing in your neck.

You’ve got to find that cola can!

“What am I supposed to do now?” you whisper.

Talking to yourself out loud makes you feel a little less scared. So you decide to keep it up.

“Think, stupid,” you scold yourself. “If the cola can is somewhere around here, where would it be?”

“Probably in that jungle,” you answer yourself.

You’re not sure why you think that, but you do. Something tells you that all the island’s secrets are hidden in and among those dense trees.

But so is the beast that keeps roaring.

What are you going to do?

If you decide to explore the jungle, turn to PAGE 7.

If you stay in the water, out of danger, turn to PAGE 32.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

I like how he actually has to think about whether or not he should go into the jungle he knows there's a beast in right now, or if he should wait.

Stay in the water.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If I know these books, doing the obviously suicidal thing is usually the right answer, while doing the safer and more sensible thing results in being killed in some cruel, unrelated way.

Let's go into the woods to avoid being eaten by a shark or something.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Adamant posted:

Stay in the water.