Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
My home keeps the peace by having a physical switch, even if just a wireless one, mounted on the wall like the batteried Hue one, at every point we were used to the old rockers.

So switch touch, voice, or app works. Said personal hell is avoidable. It just costs more.

(I have gently caress all for common wires at like 75% of my switches/outlets, soooo...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tapedump posted:

My home keeps the peace by having a physical switch, even if just a wireless one, mounted on the wall like the batteried Hue one, at every point we were used to the old rockers.

So switch touch, voice, or app works. Said personal hell is avoidable. It just costs more.

(I have gently caress all for common wires at like 75% of my switches/outlets, soooo...)

It boggles the mind that this isn't what everyone would do.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

ElCondemn posted:

You talk to it like a normal dimmer, use percentages.

Ok. So 33%, 66%, and 100%? That seems clunky.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

housefly posted:

Anyone have a ceiling fan hooked up to a smart fan control wall switch? If so, what are the voice commands? I’m having my bedroom wired for one soonish, and I can’t seem to find anything on how the fan settings work. I’m getting the fan-specific ge model. Is it a percentage thing? High medium low? I don’t know how it works with SmartThings on the back end, but I would imagine how it’s displayed there would be how Alexa would control it.

I don't know the answer to your question but I'm using Home Assistant with the same GE switches. HA presents them with the 3 speeds that you can choose from in the UI (high, med, low) but I haven't figured out how to change the speed by voice yet (using google assistant) - only turn on/off.

ElCondemn posted:

You talk to it like a normal dimmer, use percentages.

The GE fan switches have 3 speeds, high medium and low. They don't work like a regular dimmer.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

housefly posted:

Ok. So 33%, 66%, and 100%? That seems clunky.

n.. posted:

I don't know the answer to your question but I'm using Home Assistant with the same GE switches. HA presents them with the 3 speeds that you can choose from in the UI (high, med, low) but I haven't figured out how to change the speed by voice yet (using google assistant) - only turn on/off.

The GE fan switches have 3 speeds, high medium and low. They don't work like a regular dimmer.

The exact fan dimmer I have is this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PYMGVVQ and with the smartthings hub and Alexa I can tell it a percentage and it works. I think the 3 speed thing is like a preset or something, I've never used it. Maybe it's translating my percentage to the nearest preset or something, I'm not sure.

It's no more clunky than telling your lights how low or high you want them. Generally I tell my Echo to turn stuff on or off, rarely change the speed or brightness, when I do specify a percentage it doesn't feel clunky to me. I do have routines that have different settings pre-defined, that's another way to achieve a more natural usage.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 22, 2018

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

The exact fan dimmer I have is this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PYMGVVQ and with the smartthings hub and Alexa I can tell it a percentage and it works. I think the 3 speed thing is like a preset or something, I've never used it.

Pretty sure Smartthings is just mapping the percentages into ranges corresponding to the 3 speeds and setting the appropriate L/M/H speed.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Kalman posted:

Pretty sure Smartthings is just mapping the percentages into ranges corresponding to the 3 speeds and setting the appropriate L/M/H speed.

My point is there is no difference in interface between the fan controller and a normal light dimmer. What it's doing under the hood isn't really an issue for me.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

My point is there is no difference in interface between the fan controller and a normal light dimmer. What it's doing under the hood isn't really an issue for me.

Right, but my point was that you can just say 30%, 60%, and 100% and it’ll work fine.

(I’d also suspect that low/medium/high would work but not sure.)

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

ElCondemn posted:

I think the 3 speed thing is like a preset or something, I've never used it. Maybe it's translating my percentage to the nearest preset or something, I'm not sure.

Yeah that's exactly what it's doing, I know because I've looked at the underlying z-wave commands for these switches and they don't accept percentages or numbers, only high med and low. Any number mapping is done by your hub.

In my case, It looks like Google only recently added the ability to set fan speeds through assistant and HA hasn't updated to support it quite yet.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Well it should all be installed and set up on Tuesday, so I’ll report back then whether high, medium and low work as voice settings from Alexa.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Tapedump posted:

Thermopyle posted:

It boggles the mind that this isn't what everyone would do.

Yeah, I guess that was what I was getting at.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 23, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Here I am again, asking about wifi stuff. I've tried moving the router as close as possible, updated the firmware, changed the channel on the signal, moved a bunch of electronics off the 2.4 band and onto the 5 band. It hasn't helped, in fact my camera has gotten worse

Just look at this spotty connection. The drat thing is offline half the time now. So how about buying a new router all together? Whats a router with a strong wifi signal?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Leal posted:

Here I am again, asking about wifi stuff. I've tried moving the router as close as possible, updated the firmware, changed the channel on the signal, moved a bunch of electronics off the 2.4 band and onto the 5 band. It hasn't helped, in fact my camera has gotten worse

Just look at this spotty connection. The drat thing is offline half the time now. So how about buying a new router all together? Whats a router with a strong wifi signal?

A dedicated AP with a sector/beam antenna could help?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is it possible to set up hikvision cameras (or really any decent outdoor wifi IP camera) to upload motion detection clips to Dropbox or Drive or whatever while also doing continuous recording to a local NVR?

Failing the NVR part, what about just the motion clip uploading thing?

I need to set up some cameras somewhere where I can't guarantee the security of the NVR so it would be nice if I could get motion detection clips off site in this manner. (Motion detection clips instead of continuous off-site streaming to save bandwidth)

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Is it possible to set up hikvision cameras (or really any decent outdoor wifi IP camera) to upload motion detection clips to Dropbox or Drive or whatever while also doing continuous recording to a local NVR?

Failing the NVR part, what about just the motion clip uploading thing?

I need to set up some cameras somewhere where I can't guarantee the security of the NVR so it would be nice if I could get motion detection clips off site in this manner. (Motion detection clips instead of continuous off-site streaming to save bandwidth)

One of the latest firmware revisions has limited support for this.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Trip report on the voice control for the ceiling fan. I got everything installed and working today. Here’s the weird thing. Alexa can respond to low and high for the fan speed, but medium she doesn’t know how to do. On low in smart things it reports 33%. On high it reports at 99% (weird why not set it to 100%??). So for the middle I have to tell her 60% or 66% or whatever to get it to change to that. I might do a routine with her for the middle speed just so it’s more natural.

Also dimmable LED Edison’s that aren’t amber are a loving scam. Why would you even use them? They look terrible. Think fluorescent lights.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

One of the latest firmware revisions has limited support for this.

I'm a little confused on how these cameras work with an NVR. Does the NVR do the motion detection and upload to cloud or is it something each camera would do?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I'm a little confused on how these cameras work with an NVR. Does the NVR do the motion detection and upload to cloud or is it something each camera would do?

Their current firmware is for the NVR to do the upload to dropbox. You can do camera side or server side motion detection. Camera side gives better scaling in terms of camera count. Server side generally gives access to metadata about motion detection. But with their current firmware, I have no idea what is supported with the upload beyond it using the substream from the camera. So it will be a lower resolution stream. Again, I haven't tinkered with it but I'd expect it to be the 640 x 480 stream. It may also be the 720p stream.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
For no appreciable reason, my VeraAlerts has started sending double alerts on all notifications from my UI7 Vera. In VeraAlerts there's only one notification per, on the Notification tab for the device there's only one, but when an action happens I get double alerts both via email and Android app. I tried deleting a notification, then recreating it, and it was still doubled. Any suggestions? I would totally remove VeraAlerts, then reinstall it, but I have over a hundred custom alerts and I don't see how to back them up or restore them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

Their current firmware is for the NVR to do the upload to dropbox. You can do camera side or server side motion detection. Camera side gives better scaling in terms of camera count. Server side generally gives access to metadata about motion detection. But with their current firmware, I have no idea what is supported with the upload beyond it using the substream from the camera. So it will be a lower resolution stream. Again, I haven't tinkered with it but I'd expect it to be the 640 x 480 stream. It may also be the 720p stream.

Alright, thats cool. Thanks.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

If anyone's looking for a cheap LED strip controller this Gledopto controller is $25 and works great. It paired as an unknown device with my smartthings hub but changing the device type to ZLL RGB Bulb got it up and running, and it looks like it pairs with the Hue hub without having to do anything special. This plus 5m of LED strip is way more affordable then the equivalent from Hue or Sylvania and works great.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Costco has the Google home minis on sale and gf wants one. Personally I dunno how much use we'll actually get out of it. What do you guys think of them?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

Costco has the Google home minis on sale and gf wants one. Personally I dunno how much use we'll actually get out of it. What do you guys think of them?

It's stupid, I got one for free with my smart phone and flipped it on eBay for $30

I stick with SmartHub for the home control stuff since it has a more singular focus, and no microphone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

codo27 posted:

It's great and we've got 4 of them that get used probably 25 times a day by all three members of my household.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Dont have a google one, but voice assistants are a life changer for busy families. Especially ones with young kids.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
IMO, don’t bother unless you have other devices it can control. But we don’t have small children.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
They're nice to use to cast music throughout your house.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Just being able to yell over a screaming toddler for alexa to play kids singalongs is worth way more than we ever paid for.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We have a small house, no kids, and are in a remote location where I cant use it to order pizza.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I went with Amazon Echos but they’re useful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Just being able to yell over a screaming toddler for alexa to play kids singalongs is worth way more than we ever paid for.

This lasts at least until they’re 10, but you start yelling for Taylor Swift and Camila Cabello.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Zero VGS posted:

It's stupid, I got one for free with my smart phone and flipped it on eBay for $30

I stick with SmartHub for the home control stuff since it has a more singular focus, and no microphone.
When did SmartHub release a smart speaker like the Mini?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Tapedump posted:

When did SmartHub release a smart speaker like the Mini?

I'm saying it doesn't, and that's a plus. My roommate had an Alexa and it would spontaneously start talking while we were watching a movie, or every Alexa commercial, etc. It's a pretty dumb gimmick for something you can whip out your phone for.

For wireless audio I'd rather use the Chromecast Audio dongle with an actual nice soundbar instead of the reportedly tinny Mini speaker.

Whatever you do, don't get a Sonos, overpriced garbo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

It's a pretty dumb gimmick for something you can whip out your phone for.

Yeah, as evidenced by all the people who agreed with you.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Chromecast can turn on lights for me when I'm carrying poo poo? Good to know.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Honestly they are cheap enough that you can get one and see if it works for you. If it doesn't no biggy. Give it a shot.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, as evidenced by all the people who agreed with you.

popularity = good? If you say so... I wasn't trying to battle anyone here, just giving my honest opinion. I find the smart speakers invasive and not worth the money/hassle but apparently families have a different use case than a sullen goon.

My home automation stuff is mostly relegated to handling poo poo when I'm gone (smart deadbolts, video doorbell, Nest in case I forget to turn off the A/C, leak detectors, so on); I'd rather not spend my free time conversing with robot girls or playing music out of tin can speakers. But sure, grab one and return if you don't like it, whatevs.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zero VGS posted:

families have a different use case than a sullen goon.

How do you turn on the lights when one arm is carrying a 24 pack of mountain dew and the other has your anime pillow?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Honest opinion, as in “I honestly think your question is best answered by ignoring the main focus of the question?” You really thought his girlfriend specifically *didn’t* want a speaker-based device?

To hell with an argument of popularity, how about answers with topicality.

Ah.... but your hot take wouldn’t fit in then, huh? And, like, your experience would be, what... antithetical?

I should stop answering my own questions, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Tapedump posted:

Honest opinion, as in “I honestly think your question is best answered by ignoring the main focus of the question?” You really thought his girlfriend specifically *didn’t* want a speaker-based device?

To hell with an argument of popularity, how about answers with topicality.

Ah.... but your hot take wouldn’t fit in then, huh? And, like, your experience would be, what... antithetical?

I should stop answering my own questions, I think.

His main question was "I don't know if we'll actually use it, what do you guys think?" and my answer was "I don't find them useful." That's a perfectly valid hot take. If his girlfriend's whim overrides everything else then he wouldn't need to ask us in the first place.

Moey posted:

How do you turn on the lights when one arm is carrying a 24 pack of mountain dew and the other has your anime pillow?

Someone post that comic of the goon closing the blinds on 4th of July so he can use his computer in the dark, there's your topicality.