Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

McNally posted:

I made the mistake of briefly giving a gently caress and messaged all my congresscritters with a "hey, stop making surviving spouses pay for their own benefits" message.

I'll let you know what kind of hilarious form letters I get in response.

I got a response from one of my senators thanking me for my input on the 2019 NDAA.

So I lost my poo poo and wrote an email to his staffers blasting them for constantly sending me form letters when I contact them on issues directly related to being a surviving spouse.

I let off on them for awhile when I got a phone call from someone on staff who hinted maybe I could get some time with the senator, but I think maybe they were just placating me so I'd stop making noise.

When I actually think about it, they've been absolutely useless. I sent them a letter detailing all my poo poo in the fall of 2016. They initially sent a form letter saying they'd contact the VA and I said "wtf, no the Army" and they contacted the VA. I said "wtf no the Army" and they sent me the same form letter, except with "U.S. Department of the Army" in place of "U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs" on it.

And then they'd report back that the Army said this was a VA matter (y'know, casualty assistance).

Eventually they received a response from the Army. But only after I made phone calls to people in the Army.

I'll say that again: I contacted my senator's office to get them to tell the Army to fix their poo poo and they never received a response until I TOLD THE ARMY.

My new mission in life is to tell my senator his staff sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Were you Nero or Pol Pot in a past life?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Syrian Lannister posted:

Were you Nero or Pol Pot in a past life?

I've been wondering.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

On the off chance you were Phalaris, I may know a guy

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

It's hosed up when a junior soldier and a Commander are investigated in a FLIPL together but only the CO is found liable and then for an unrelated article 15 the CO takes the soldiers rank out of spite.

He's only being found liable for a few hundred dollars. What a whiny, spiteful little bitch.

So you're taking the story to IG, right? Or too circumstantial?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The soldier definitely did something article 15 worthy, I just don't think it warrants taking his rank and other soldiers that have done worse didn't lose rank. I don't think there's anyway to prove there's a correlation between a FLIPLs findings and taking this soldier's rank out of spite. I just happen to know the details of every FLIPL because they all come through me.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Obvious but hard to prove prejudice from leaders is army as heck

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Hang all (everybody at a higher rank than me,) I always said

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yup. I had an uncomfortable conversation about how breaking an FM wasnt breaking a regulation when I talked to an Ombudsman.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Mustang posted:

The soldier definitely did something article 15 worthy, I just don't think it warrants taking his rank and other soldiers that have done worse didn't lose rank. I don't think there's anyway to prove there's a correlation between a FLIPLs findings and taking this soldier's rank out of spite. I just happen to know the details of every FLIPL because they all come through me.

The only thing that could be proven is punishments being different for similar offenses. Every training I've had as a commander for Art 15s has talked about being consistent with punishments in your unit. Being inconsistent opens you up to IG complaints.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mr_Ruckus posted:

The only thing that could be proven is punishments being different for similar offenses. Every training I've had as a commander for Art 15s has talked about being consistent with punishments in your unit. Being inconsistent opens you up to IG complaints.

But if you're too consistent and have a blanket punishment without taking into account mitigation/circumstances, that can also screw you up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just use a magic 8ball.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

spacetoaster posted:

Just use a magic 8ball.

Check out the guy that did ILE.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vahakyla posted:

I don't know what skydiving and airborne have in similarity besides the sky and an airplane, but that is pretty much it. You can't really buy that experience where hundreds of dudes land on an airfield with doorbundles and vehicles, and do cool poo poo. OTOH I had a spinal surgery and am post-op recovery right now due to partial chute collapse so take this as you will.

Your all heart kid, I’ll give you that.

This spinal injury and your recovery and rehabilitation from it is a one time go around. The next time you gently caress your back it’s going to be worse and far more permanent. This is guaranteed if you keep jumping. There’s only so much pain meds and pain management can do. Your begging to gently caress yourself up.

The best part? Short of paralysis, back injuries cap out at 30% come disability time. Knees? Unless they’re hosed completely you might get 0%-10%. Same with the shoulders.some how in the VA 30%+10%+10%=35%, which rounds to 40%.

Congrats that’s $714 a month for the rest of your life. Hope summa dat grunt poo poo is worth that.

Please listen man, just listen.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 23, 2018

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vahakyla posted:

Nah, I had the symptoms pop up during a motorcycle ride. I wasn’t very cohesive when I wrote that back in the day. Had a partial chute collapse in mid december, couldn’t get up right away, but shrugged it off, and I wasn’t seen by anyone, then early january had, what then seemed like, viral gastroenteritis since I was puking, was seen in hospital, and then on following days I was still hosed up, and was sent back home on quarters, and then while driving home with my bike, had immense pain, and made it to my living room floor, and from there eventually just couldn’t really get up, move my legs or control my bladder, and when I eventually made it to my bed with assistance, was unable to move, and I had an ambulance to Ospedale San Bortolo where I ended up havibg surgery. I was on con leave for month and half, then light duty at clinic until first week of june, when I returned to my unit but still dead man profile that prohibits everything. It’s until september 20 or something like that.

It’s all the same event.
I just have zero interest in the real world, and I don’t want permament profile for my future commissioning hopes, so I’m riding this ride.

You goddamn stupid rear end motherfucker. Eat all the dicks.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I’m going to kick vahakylas rear end

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Shim just posted both sides of the same “you’re a dumbass” coin

The somewhat polite and insightful guy giving honest advice

And the person who is just sick of you being a dumbass.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Please by all means crush your vertebrae and be like my friend who had to switch to fentanyl patches after the morphine pump was no longer effective. hosed. For. Life.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Well, the first inch wasn't too bad. Maybe the other seven inches will be even better!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Naked Bear posted:

Well, the first inch wasn't too bad. Maybe the other seven inches will be even better!

Is this how you got comfortable with buttstuff?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Soulex posted:

Is this how you got comfortable with buttstuff?

Generally yeah. At least with sex, it feels good when something tickles your prostate from below. Not quite the same when it’s your spine being compressed into it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
hell yeah

well at least when your paraplegic you can still have someone put all the gay rear end airborne marching cadences you like on your iPod shuffle.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
i hope you don't end up calling some pencil pusher a Leg from your wheelchair. Not a good future friend.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Your all heart kid, I’ll give you that.

This spinal injury and your recovery and rehabilitation from it is a one time go around. The next time you gently caress your back it’s going to be worse and far more permanent. This is guaranteed if you keep jumping. There’s only so much pain meds and pain management can do. Your begging to gently caress yourself up.

The best part? Short of paralysis, back injuries cap out at 30% come disability time. Knees? Unless they’re hosed completely you might get 0%-10%. Same with the shoulders.some how in the VA 30%+10%+10%=35%, which rounds to 40%.

Congrats that’s $714 a month for the rest of your life. Hope summa dat grunt poo poo is worth that.

Please listen man, just listen.

I have 30% because of service connected sad brains because a nurse corps j.g. I worked with offed himself on my way out. I'm physically loving great and I'm an ivy league motherfucker now. See the disconnect here? NOTHING HAPPENED TO ME and I get 30%. You're gonna break your poo poo off and you'll get at most 40%....at most. lol just lol.

Vahakyla posted:

I have zero loving interest in working until I die wiggling away in some lovely company, wondering if my family loses health insurance tomorrow if I get fired.

gently caress all that. I want to be relatively young still, and travel with my wife and live a modest life free of work.

I enjoy the military, and I have an easy time excelling.

I can’t even begin to think what would’ve happened to me in a private company with my injury, or what would have happened to my wife’s elevated medical needs.

Vahakyla posted:

It’s all the same event.
I just have zero interest in the real world, and I don’t want permament profile for my future commissioning hopes, so I’m riding this ride.

All this poo poo right here is honestly some chickenshit retarded rear end bullshit you're talking. gently caress you Vahaklya and gently caress your mind that conjured up this stupid rear end poo poo.Though I do empathize with your wife's medical situation, that's a valid fear. And I don't wanna be a regular motherfucker either, I want that grunt poo poo too. But I'm not under any illusions what the military is going to lead to, especially that route. And I got my plan B, C, D, E, etc. for when my stupidity pans out and inevitably leads me to rolling up in here and being like "yup yall were right, smdftb anyway ho."

Turns out Plan B, C, D, E, etc. were not that hard to develop and all jump off the degree I'll attain before I make this hilariously bad life decision. Resumes and making connections with people: work but not that hard. You know what's probably hard as gently caress: wanting to do things with your body but your body being like "nah gently caress that. I'm gonna gently caress you forever for all the poo poo you did to me!" Or you know, being an actual loving cripple who can't do poo poo without others, not even wipe his own rear end.

gently caress you are so dumb. You got a wife and kids you stupid gently caress. You don't get to be completely loving retarded anymore. Start making some better decisions tia. Stop being such a loving pussy about life. Its not that scary out there you shawshank redemption wannabe institutionalized motherfucker.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 23, 2018

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You can stay army but gently caress you have the wrong idea about jumps

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I wonder if he's ever going to post again. He either got scared off or is paralyzed and hasn't gotten good at typing with his tongue yet.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Recently posted in the aeronautical insanity thread

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You guys are kinda cringy. It's a bit weird.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

shut up retard

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

Nah, you're just still at the rose tinted glasses stage of viewing the Army. We'll see where you are in 2 years.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I agree with Vahakyla

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

Nah, you're just still at the rose tinted glasses stage of viewing the Army. We'll see where you are in 2 years.

I’m still in and I still agree with this sentiment. How crippling yourself over something as stupid as airborne is. I still enjoy being in, and I’m one of the few who’s worked the system relatively well, but a back injury to the point of not being able to walk for an extended period of time would have had me cash out.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I stand by my statement that he is an elaborate troll.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

boop the snoot posted:

I stand by my statement that he is an elaborate troll.

Nah, he posts in CA about his motorcycle being in Italy. I think he is legit but has chugged the Kool Aid.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The army is infamous for making people so proud of their service that they willingly destroy their bodies, expecting Uncle Sam to take care of them after they make the ultimate sacrifice, or just think that getting disability is weakness and being a pussy. I had to beg and plead with a long time E5 to go to the doctor for his Knees and back because he was a loving moron who got attached (!) to a Real Infantry Unit as an 88m for a deployment. Called everyone else in his own unit a pog, all of it. He said that he was proud of his hosed up back and he didn’t need handouts. Holy moly please man, go get that stuff and get fixed so you’re not a broken husk for your family side.

People are mad because they’ve seen people get messed up and then the army just neglects them. It’s scary after you’ve gone too far. Pride of what you do makes people dumb.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

its curtains for Kevin posted:

didn’t need handouts.

I run into this a lot.

It's not a handout! It's an earned benefit you idiot! You earned it!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

spacetoaster posted:

I run into this a lot.

It took me awhile to get over this, but gip helped a little I think. I still sometimes feel guilty, too. It's dumb as hell

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Entitlement is a liberal concept nowadays. Dude was super condescending to left ideas and mostly liked to own people over guns and low taxes. At least they’re internally consistent about denying poor people welfare since they won’t even accept it themselves (that would require them to admit that THEY are poor). The army echo chamber leans mostly to the right and legit the dude probably was not actually considering that those benefits are for him. Like dude you’re not getting 70% for ‘ptsd’ like that one scammer, you are actually loving broken. Please go get looked at and don’t let your problems get worse! 30% qualifies you for rehab, the greatest flavor or welfare queen education benefits. It’s such a great benefit and people are too proud to accept them. :argh:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

spacetoaster posted:

I run into this a lot.

Yeah, holy poo poo, it's basically a component of an employment contract.

Not gonna get your benefits for what is basically a workplace injury? Not gonna use your education benefits? Do you even know what you signed?

Are you gonna be an idiot rube for the rest of your shockingly uncomfortable life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
So while googling around trying to find jump-related casualty rates when the 173rd jumped into Iraq, I ran across a fun video. It's from four people who did combat airjumps, three from 173rd's jump into Northern Iraq, and one who jumped into Operation Market Garden.

My "favorite" is the Major who jumped into Iraq as an LT. Highlights:

-By name, outs the PFC who told him he was going the wrong way.
-Insists that he was going exactly the right way to the rally point, but everyone else changed the rally point based on the miserable, muddy terrain.
-Kinda-sorta mocks others for just cutting their chutes off, but explains that he followed orders and packed his parachute back into its kit-bag nice and neat
-Expresses frustration that the others didn't stick to the original plan, terrain on the ground be damned. (He would later grudgingly go form up with the others who, according to him, changed the rally point based on terrain).
-Complains that this same PFC he again outs by first and last name eventually refused to go with him in the knee-deep mud as he doggedly went , referring to it as disobeying his orders.
-By the way, the "wrong" assembly area was picked by the 1SG, but he as a PL saw himself as the senior guy on the ground and continues to sound butt-hurt about this
-Story ends with him saying they never actually formed up enough of a team to be combat effective until it was too late, so they were told to stay put, and they were never in direct contact anyway that night
-Inteviewer moves on to someone else lol

If you care, his portion of the interview is around 45 minutes in.
https://mwi.usma.edu/video-opening-shock-four-combat-jump-veterans-tell-stories/

Side note: The 173rd is convinced that by jumping in about 1,000 people to secure the airfield, they fixed six divisions (!) of Iraqi mech/motorized/armor units from engaging south of Baghdad.