Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
Given that it was presumably a milk product sold as a soda, and thus likely treated as such (left unrefrigerated, weeks in a refrigerated case) it seems like it might be a useful assurance of food safety. That ad looks like it's aimed at retailers, so "You can treat it like soda" would actually be kind of a selling point.

Michigan was the first state to require pasteurizing milk in 1947 and it wasn't prohibited federally until '73, so maybe it wasn't a given at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I heard pasteurization causes autism, only the finest natural milk for my children

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tsubasa2004 posted:

Given that it was presumably a milk product sold as a soda, and thus likely treated as such (left unrefrigerated, weeks in a refrigerated case) it seems like it might be a useful assurance of food safety. That ad looks like it's aimed at retailers, so "You can treat it like soda" would actually be kind of a selling point.

Michigan was the first state to require pasteurizing milk in 1947 and it wasn't prohibited federally until '73, so maybe it wasn't a given at the time.

The formula was probably similar to Yoo-Hoo today. Which has whey for protein, non-fat dry milk, and a whole lot of oil. The unopened bottle we have has long since separated into brown water and slightly less brown oil.

Tsubasa2004 posted:

The ad is ambiguous, the guy's skin tone is a brown/red halftone which is as close to a human skin tone as you're likely to get if you don't want to pay for a fourth color of ink, and I mean, they have dark brown right there. The bottles, on the other hand, would be less ambiguous when filled with dark brown soda.

Okay, that looks more obvious. I hadn't found a painted label bottle example before (all our bottles are embossed).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

I heard pasteurization causes autism

Yeah pasteurizing children is bound to do some damage

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tsubasa2004 posted:

That makes sense.

I was thinking “It’s on the cap in the ad so it’s on the real product” but it may well be artistic licence.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Oh come on, no one here thinks it looks...odd? I'm really the only one?

:shrug:

BRB, going to find racism in my old school mascots to own my teachers.

Nah dude I'm on board, especially with the image of that bottle. Some dudes cannot wait to overreact to "this seems racist"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's the South in 1950, they didn't have to have sneaky subtle plausibly-deniable racist imagery.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's entirely possible for the clown to not to be an explicit racial caricature while still reflecting influence from the minstrel tradition.

Byzantine posted:

It's the South in 1950, they didn't have to have sneaky subtle plausibly-deniable racist imagery.

They totally did. Many of the old Cab Calloway cartoons depicted him as a white-faced clown as a way to erase his race while still enjoying his music. I'm not saying "therefore clowns are racist;" the point is that there's more possibilities than "obviously a caricature" and "totally, completely free of any influence from the racism that permeated the rest of society." Like, you don't have to be some kind it loony skeleton warrior bent on castigating all media ever to put things in context and realize it's not all black and white.

:v:

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 14:50 on Jun 10, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The memes are coming from inside the Forum! Run!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think it's a big gotcha that your relative in the 40s and 50s was racist.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think it's a big gotcha that your relative in the 40s and 50s was racist.

My current relatives are racist. No one's going to care about that. I just doubt they realized the clown was supposed to be Black.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tsubasa2004 posted:

The ad is ambiguous, the guy's skin tone is a brown/red halftone which is as close to a human skin tone as you're likely to get if you don't want to pay for a fourth color of ink, and I mean, they have dark brown right there. The bottles, on the other hand, would be less ambiguous when filled with dark brown soda.

see if you had led on this image everyone prob would have seen it a bit better, tho the original picture (to me) is clearly made in a minstrel style even if its not literally blackface

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Was “IT’S PASTEURIZED” really a great slogan by the 1940s? Hadn’t everyone been doing that for a few decades?

There were parts of America in the 40s that were still relatively primitive, lacking things like regular electricity or phone service. Some of these places would still be new markets for bottled pasteurized milk.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Was “IT’S PASTEURIZED” really a great slogan by the 1940s? Hadn’t everyone been doing that for a few decades?

Pasteurization in America didn't become mandatory before 1947.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Platystemon posted:

That stupid xkcd is making a joke that Mr. Show made in a much funnier way with their Fairsley difference sketch:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4yX2rkpBc

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Now that Trump has declared asbestos-related health concerns as a mob conspiracy and his EPA no longer cares about it, we'll probably actually start seeing stuff labeled like that. :smith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykm3GI1oTnQ

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
ihob???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/dennisrodman/status/1006230416829894657

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I saw someone on twitter comment that Dennis Rodman, doing a weed-based cryptocurrency grift, in a MAGA hat, speaking from the North Korea/US peace summit, is Peak 2018.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would just like to note that Singapore has a death penalty for drug smuggling.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Memento posted:

I saw someone on twitter comment that Dennis Rodman, doing a weed-based cryptocurrency grift, in a MAGA hat, speaking from the North Korea/US peace summit, is Peak 2018.

It's red but not MAGA unless you mean another pic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think it is a MAGA hat; he just pinned an American flag to it for a while.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/11/asia/rodman-trump-kim-summit-intl/index.html

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

jojoinnit posted:

It's red but not MAGA unless you mean another pic.

Yeah he was definitely in a maga hat on CNN

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Memento posted:

Every decade has its own distinctive appearance. The 50s has greasers and girls in preppy dresses, the 70s has Afros and bell bottoms, the 80s has pastels and shoulder pads, etc.

The 2010s has this guy.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

A new office building just opened in Portland, OR. It's two towers, connected by a bridge. The developers chose to name it "The Fair-Haired Dumbbell". It's a dumb blonde joke, because everybody like those!

Then they decided to market the building with copy like this:

What the hell is wrong with these people posted:

New in Town (and down to lease)

Missed Connection
Bar/Restaurant — sqft4u (Portland)
You, a bar or restaurant that enjoys late nights, controversial architecture and sunsets on the Willamette. Me, Fair-Haired Dumbbell ( BBB*). Wanted to say I liked your menu, but then the light turned green.
Reply back with your big idea and I’ll show you my floor plan. Hope you see this.
*Big, Beautiful Building

In other words, they're marketing their lovely, over-designed office space as being a dumb blonde who's looking for casual sex on Craigslist. Edit: Oh, also a dig at larger women.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Tobermory posted:

A new office building just opened in Portland, OR. It's two towers, connected by a bridge. The developers chose to name it "The Fair-Haired Dumbbell". It's a dumb blonde joke, because everybody like those!

In other words, they're marketing their lovely, over-designed office space as being a dumb blonde who's looking for casual sex on Craigslist. Edit: Oh, also a dig at larger women.

Holy poo poo that thing is fugly

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Talk about metrosexual.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Somewhere, vandals are planning to paint that thing a plain, sensible gray.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Crosspost from IOSM:
Not sure whether to post here, since the new meta of brand engagement, or in Dumb Marketing but: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-21/burger-king-says-sorry-for-world-cup-pregnancy-ad/9893176

quote:

Fast food chain Burger King has apologised for offering a lifetime supply of Whopper burgers to Russian women who get pregnant to World Cup players.

Unrelated, but still Burger King Russia:
https://twitter.com/ebrucey_bonus/status/958683639642050560

(An alleged victim of sexual assualt motioning how much alcohol she had used in a BK ad to show how much time is left for the special offer)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Tobermory posted:

I'm not sure which is worse, the building itself or that fuckin' website. Holy poo poo.

e:
Too cool for an "about" page.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's the most Portland thing yet.

crosshatch
Dec 10, 2006

Tobermory posted:

That thing is almost exactly halfway between my house and my office in Old Town, so I walk by it every day and I hate it so much.

It's been finished since at least last November and I don't think anyone's moved in yet. They didn't build any parking, either.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I finally looked this Fair-Haired Dumbbell building up and holy shot that is one ugly building. I'm not opposed to unusual-looking buildings. Hell, I live a block away from a building painted purple-with-rainbow-brick-accents and it's pretty great. Of course, that building is not hideous, and is also devoted to being an independent bookstore and cafe on the ground floor and a small performing art space with some small shops and offices upstairs (a specialty yarn store, small spaces that do music or art classes, the office space for a heritage site just out of town, things like that). It's a cool place to hang out, and there's an open mic in the cafe every Friday night, but it also isn't trying so hard. The entire building is devoted to art and culture, in some way.

This Dumbbell place is trying to manufacture some artificial trendiness while also just being a regular commercial space, from what i can tell. I can only imagine that a lot of potential renters are going to be like "no we need to be taken seriously" and that's not a location that's going to attract your up and coming law firms or whatever. Because look at it.

Cargo cult trendiness.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Don't worry - if it's anything like the rest of Portland, some Californian techbros will swoop in and throw millions of dollars at it, good taste be damned.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

crosshatch posted:

That thing is almost exactly halfway between my house and my office in Old Town, so I walk by it every day and I hate it so much.

It's been finished since at least last November and I don't think anyone's moved in yet. They didn't build any parking, either.

Same, it's near my office and it drives me loving insane.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I've been inside and it is boring as poo poo in there. Like totally standard beige office hallways once you're past the front door.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That is not a building, that is a 90's mock-up of a futuristic apartment complex. Made for a failed pilot; one that tried to blend the BK Kids Club, Friends, and A Different World together.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
For all of this poo poo-talking nobody has even posted a picture of the drat thing.

Seriously; how did any reasonable adult let this get past the proposal phase? Was it literally just 50+ year old men just thinking "well those hipster kids will like it"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

umalt posted:

For all of this poo poo-talking nobody has even posted a picture of the drat thing.

Seriously; how did any reasonable adult let this get past the proposal phase? Was it literally just 50+ year old men just thinking "well those hipster kids will like it"?
holy gently caress