Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oops, conversation has moved on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I think we can all agree that in most countries with modern tax laws, depreciation plays an important role in financial tax planning for businesses and even individuals in the right situations, and properly executed is quite GWM.

Where the Aussie crisis goes off the rails is due to poor understanding of said rules and their proper application, not keeping up with changes to said rules, over-leveraging, and the usual risks associated with buying real estate as a speculative investment. Depreciation might be a factor in how certain retirees who bought a bunch of properties are currently being hosed, but it isn't really why. You can debate that the laws themselves created the crisis by allowing people to get themselves hosed too easily, but at the end of the day, they made the decision.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Depreciation is based on the approximate expected life of the item. Insurance companies use depreciation tables, too, to determine the approximate value of an item that was lost in an insurable event. It only relates to revenue insofar as it's alao a system by which the tax burden attached to your revenue stream can be reduced.

Ah, so British people renting country cottages can depreciate over a thousand years?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

sale on Banksy art posted:

Ah, so British people renting country cottages can depreciate over a thousand years?

For book, tax depreciation is usually set by the taxing authority by property type.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sale on Banksy art posted:

If the taxing authority decides that's an appropriate approximation of the typical useful lifespan of that category of property, then sure.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

If the taxing authority decides that's an appropriate approximation of the typical useful lifespan of that category of property, then sure.

This will be my last post in this derail, but "useful life" needs to match some kind of reasonable revenue producing period for the entity currently using it. There is no case in which it would be reasonable to depreciate something over a thousand years, even if the asset could realistically last that long. The main concept of depreciation is matching costs to revenues, not the physical facts of the asset, although physical condition is one consideration taken into account when choosing a depreciation period.

I was just pointing out that depreciation is an abstract financial concept to people debating the depreciation period of houses that aren't even used for income.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I love how high level accounting is all about getting creative with how you dodge taxes. Depreciation is nothing, it is everything, income is a flat circle that permeates the ether of the eternal goddess. Redefine time a little bit and we can turn it into a charity.

I am ready to be CFO of GE.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

I love how high level accounting is all about getting creative with how you dodge taxes. Depreciation is nothing, it is everything, income is a flat circle that permeates the ether of the eternal goddess. Redefine time a little bit and we can turn it into a charity.

I am ready to be CFO of GE.

It's not just about dodging taxes, it's also about making sure your shareholder reports show you met earnings goals for the quarter.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
GWM: Declaring depreciation on your 20 year old second year NBA player. He’s getting older and must be worse!
Best with money will forever be getting a municipality to pay for your $500m arena though.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

GWM: Declaring depreciation on your 20 year old second year NBA player. He’s getting older and must be worse!
Best with money will forever be getting a municipality to pay for your $500m arena though.

While you are also a federal tax exempt cartel with special Congressional immunity from labor laws

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

What kind of advice is she looking for? She makes $100 a week. Get a full-time job.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Ebola Roulette posted:

What kind of advice is she looking for? She makes $100 a week. Get a full-time job.

no

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ebola Roulette posted:

She says she's been applying to jobs "non-stop". She may not have compelling qualifications at this point.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

She says that she has one semester of college (her partner has none). She also mentions that she has a medical condition (a pituitary tumor) that makes it hard for her to manage highly physical work which, unfortunately, is probably what she is qualified for. I'm sympathetic in that she seems to have a difficult position to work from, but unfortunately at that level there aren't really more options besides 'make some more money'. You can't budget yourself to success without an income.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Pituitary tumor sounds like it might be a legit reason to get disability.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

n8r posted:

Pituitary tumor sounds like it might be a legit reason to get disability.

Probably if it's as debilitating as she says, but SSDI + the boyfriends minimum wage job isn't going to get them their dream trailer with a yard. The real issue as I see it here is a couple of kids that are totally unrealistic about reasonably possible outcomes for their lives. They have a place to live that they don't need to pay for right now. Chasing an unrealistic dream goal is a good way to sink what little money they have and put them in an eve worse position.

Also, if she applied for SSDI today she'd be lucky to start receiving it by 2021.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Motronic posted:

Probably if it's as debilitating as she says, but SSDI + the boyfriends minimum wage job isn't going to get them their dream trailer with a yard. The real issue as I see it here is a couple of kids that are totally unrealistic about reasonably possible outcomes for their lives. They have a place to live that they don't need to pay for right now. Chasing an unrealistic dream goal is a good way to sink what little money they have and put them in an eve worse position.

Also, if she applied for SSDI today she'd be lucky to start receiving it by 2021.

The only job-hampering symptom of pituitary tumors is obesity.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The only job-hampering symptom of pituitary tumors is obesity.

....migraines, vision problems.....

But sure, let's go with her just being a fattie.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Job hunting with a shoddy background (self.personalfinance)
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8t2000/job_hunting_with_a_shoddy_background/

quote:

Please, no judgements.

I need a job and nobody will hire me, with good reason.

I was forced to quit my last job without notice, my mother held a knife to my back as I called, and I am faced with either offering no explanation for why I left my last job or sounding like I’m making stuff up. I’ve considered leaving it off my resume but I was the top seller on the whole coast one month and always in the top 10, and I got awards for it, so I really want it to be shown that I have potential.

The job before that I gave a long notice but I made a $100 mistake on (a day I went home sick because I KNEW I wasn’t able to focus) and got in a lot of trouble because it was banking and I technically did something called force-proving which is automatic termination. (Essentially, I said I was missing $100, but I wasn’t actually missing it, I just miscounted. Even though I didn’t steal, and I was extremely ill, it was still something they took extremely seriously.) They let me finish out my time but I would’ve been fired. Also I had two bosses, one was asked to resign and is now a SAHM who refuses to give references because she’s “burnt out” and the other boss had a mental break and got herself fired for fraud. I was the only one from that location who didn’t technically get fired actually. They were extremely strict in that location because there was a ton of fraud and theft, and literally every single one of my former coworkers was fired for it a few months after I had left. Excepting the three who were fired while I was working there, of course, because this was just a SUPER reputable place who hired a 17 year old when federally you have to be 18 to work the positions I did. /s So even though that was my most substantial history, I have no references and almost got fired. Also I was working there illegally. I only found that out later, because what national bank chain hires illegally? I should have done my own research.

My job before that I quit after only 30 days because it was at a Target and my new job offer paid 50% more. Nobody remembers me there. They offered me a promotion but it still wasn’t as close or as much as the new job.

I am also currently undergoing trial because when my grandmother had me pinned to a wall and was threatening to kill me while holding me hostage in a room for several hours I shoved her off me and police were called, bought the frail old lady who’s granddaughter had just “attacked” her’s story, so I’m facing a domestic violence charge. It’ll go away, I have witnesses who were trying to make her let me out of the room and who heard her threatening my life and an excellent defense team, but the trial process is extremely slow and will take a few months. Also, how do you explain to an employer “yeah I know it looks like I attacked an innocent elderly woman but I swear I didn’t do it!”

I need to get my finances in order so I can get away from my abusive family. My life will only get worse from here, but they pay for everything and I don’t have much going for me. I would need to buy a car, pay for the insurance, (public transport/Uber is not really reliable in my area, I’ve already tried), pay for rent, pay for health insurance, pay for a phone bill, pay for gas, pay for everything. I live in MA so at least min wage isn’t that bad, but I haven’t even heard back from min wage jobs after a first call with charges currently pending. (They can’t ask up front, but they can do background checks at any time.) The few employers I have heard back from have said very kindly it’s because they can’t risk a negligent hire suit while I am undergoing trial.

Before all this happened, with the charges and the violence, I was on track to be a lawyer. I had an LSAT and GPA in the 90th percentile, and I was headed for full scholarship plus stipend. Now since I failed seven classes last semester I have another year to make it up because some of those classes are only offered in the spring and they’ve revoked my privilege to take more than 5 classes in a semester. Which means another year of living on campus because I can put that on loans and can’t afford rent otherwise.

I have about 8,000 squirreled away in a back account they can’t touch. I have 15k in student loans that were taken out fraudulently and I’m considering going to court for if the cost of the loans exceeds the value of just shutting up and taking my parents support for one more year and another 15k coming not fraudulently. My credit score is in the 740s, and I’m 20 years old. I also have two guinea pigs to support, a lot of copays each month for treatment for my PTSD from my family and my stomach and heart conditions. I’d start selling stuff on eBay but my mom has almost all my belongings held hostage. Right now I’m crashing with my boyfriends dad but it’s temporary.

How do I survive? Where can I apply? Even Walmart won’t take me. I’m desperate. Do I just rack up debt and pay it off after the trial?

:stare:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure that person is actually insane.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Yeah, that lady is nuts.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

A quick dive into her post history reveals a lot :stare:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
The craziest thing is expecting that r/personalfinance can somehow help your crazy.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Ashcans posted:

A quick dive into her post history reveals a lot :stare:

HOLY

https://www.reddit.com/r/confession/comments/8t28v2/remorse_i_get_super_judgmental_about_people/

Crazy person posted:

[Remorse] I get super judgmental about people posting about parental abuseTough Love
Because I went through horrendous abuse, when people complain about their mom calling them a oval office and how they’re still messed up to this day, I get very irritated.

My mother once spent the entire day, without a break, telling me what an awful child I was. It was literally the whole day because my dad worked a double and she spent that whole time screaming at me. She forced me to watch her urinate and watched me urinate so she didn’t have to take a break. She screamed until her voice was sore and told my dad we’d been singing to Pink and that’s why she only had a whisper left. She called me every name in the book, explained to me why I was worthless, and called me ungrateful for crying because she was only preparing me for the real world.

I was once forced to eat green grapes until I vomited and then was beaten for being ungrateful. For those who are wondering, it was several stems/bushels/whatever you call them of grapes that I was force fed. I can’t remember who did it to me, but it only makes sense to be my mother.

My mother once scrubbed me with magic eraser as a punishment and I had chemical burns all over my body. Because the henna tattoo she got me was fading unevenly and I shouldn’t have put such junk on “her” body. Because my body was hers. She had rights to it, as she told me every time she watched me shower.

My mother would pinch my nipples and say it’s to see if my bras were good enough to hide that fact. When she taught me to use a tampon, she used it as an excuse to molest me. Same with shaving, she shaved my public hair for me for a while. She broke my down systematically for years.

I understand that abusers push their victims to the point where they break, which is why some abusers have to go much farther than others to get the same reaction. Everyone’s abusers tailored their abuse to be the worst for them. Things that sound like nothing to me was the worst for them. Some people are legitimately traumatized by that one incident, and I know I shouldn’t judge. But there’s this part of me that just gets so mad. Like I would have traded for that mother in a heartbeat.

I know I shouldn’t be so judgey. But I just always end up wanting to scream “are you serious?!” Because some people post about things that just seem trivial to me on support subs. And everyone rallies around people pushing back in a petty way against their petty parents, and nobody wants to read the really heavy posts.

I’m super jealous that their life was nice enough that they can engage in a war of pettiness with their parents. I’m super jealous of these people, and it makes me hate them. Because I can’t even feel jealous of people with normal parents. It just feels too far off. Like I’m also not jealous of people who won the lottery because it’s just so far off from my life. I’m jealous of people with steady income. In the same vein, I’m jealous of people who’s parents weren’t as vile as mine. Still vile, still cruel, but not magic-eraser-burns level of cruel. I wish I’d gone through a more socially acceptable level of abuse so I could talk to close friends without them shuddering. And I wish I could turn off this very angry, jealous part of me but I know I’m redirecting my hate of her onto these people because she still has so much power over me.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Motronic posted:

Probably if it's as debilitating as she says, but SSDI + the boyfriends minimum wage job isn't going to get them their dream trailer with a yard. The real issue as I see it here is a couple of kids that are totally unrealistic about reasonably possible outcomes for their lives.

this sort of sounds like "poor people should be happy with their lot" sort of language and i'm gonna push back.

all people deserve happiness and health and a life free of pain and need and shouldn't need to "settle" for less, and I'm going to keep agitating for that even if we simultaneously are helping poorer people survive within their current situation (eg "you can't afford to both lease this car and pay rent, is there a more affordable option?").

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
People feeling entitled to things is how someone working part time at Dairy Queen becomes upside down on their horse mortgage though.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That woman is so far into derail territory that I don't have a bird majestic enough to post in response to it. Let us change the subject.

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

this sort of sounds like "poor people should be happy with their lot" sort of language and i'm gonna push back.

all people deserve happiness and health and a life free of pain and need and shouldn't need to "settle" for less, and I'm going to keep agitating for that even if we simultaneously are helping poorer people survive within their current situation (eg "you can't afford to both lease this car and pay rent, is there a more affordable option?").

I'm not seeing "poor people should be happy with their lot" in Motronic's post.

Also, assuming that it is true that "all people deserve happiness and health and a life free of pain and need," does that translate to all people deserving to live in a place of their own? I'm pretty sure multiple generations of families living together has been the norm throughout history. The social stigma associated with young adults living with their parents seems more the problem.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

More of a US problem

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
If you don't stop talking about it, you're going to summon he who must not be named.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've neither said nor suggested anything of the sort, nor have I taken a position on what they "deserve", only their realistic earning potential based on the facts presented. I'll leave the moral judgements to someone else, and hopefully they'l do it in a thread I don't read.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

This isn't about what they deserve, or what's fair in life. The simple fact is that they cannot afford the things they want.

No amount of budgeting will make it possible for them, so they're gonna have a bad time if they pursue those things without new income. Perfect candidates for the BWM thread.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Motronic posted:

I've neither said nor suggested anything of the sort, nor have I taken a position on what they "deserve", only their realistic earning potential based on the facts presented. I'll leave the moral judgements to someone else, and hopefully they'l do it in a thread I don't read.

okie dokie, i must have read something into it that wasn't there! apologies :)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hoodwinker posted:

That woman is so far into derail territory that I don't have a bird majestic enough to post in response to it. Let us change the subject.

:gerard:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

It is an excellent bird... thing.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moneyball posted:

If you don't stop talking about it, you're going to summon he who must not be named.
Nah. You guys kicked up such a big fuss over my last post on labor economics that I figured SA is probably a lost cause. Too leftist.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Like saying Beetlejuice 3 times, you don't know exactly what form it will take, only that it's going to happen. And so it has.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 23, 2018

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Please note the red text

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Cross-posting from the cursed images/idiots on social media threads:

A BWM where the horse lady is the financially-sane one.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Mr.Radar posted:

Cross-posting from the cursed images/idiots on social media threads:

A BWM where the horse lady is the financially-sane one.

Well it's easy to be financially sane when all your bills are paid for by your boyfriend and then you plan on dumping him for accruing debt paying for everything.