Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MrUnderbridge posted:

Oh, Jesus, give a trigger warning, will ya?

I've been fighting with Bon Secours billing for the past year over a hospital stay last year. Of the eleven months of bills, they've sent ten "Your account is severely overdue, pay full amount NOW!" notices. In every case it was due to either them not posting the payment for weeks after we made it, or in two cases flat out losing an electronic transfer. Every time they end up going "Ooopsie... my bad. Carry on". The capper was when I was told to fax them info from the bank. I called to follow up, and the guy on the other end literally said "Can't find it. Any leftover faxes at the end of Fridays are discarded."
:wtc:

I had a bill from Affinity hospital that was paid, they took the money, the bank sent them proof they took the money, and I still had to fight with them for four or five months. It got to the point where I stopped by the billing department twice a week after class on my way home to hassle them in person. Eventually they went "oh we posted that to the wrong account"

My fiancee has three or four statcare visits in collections right now. To this day we've never received a letter or phone call from Aultman or the collections department. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ziv Zulander posted:

A lot of long running shows do stuff like that, not just medical dramas. I remember there was an episode of Star Trek where Miles spent a few (simulated) decades living in a torturous prison where he ended up murdering his cell mate for a scrap of food, and then spent the last years of his sentence in complete isolation. He went all crazy for the one episode, then by the next one it was business as usual.

To be fair, that's like an average week for O'Brien.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

fruit on the bottom posted:

This really seems like the one department that would never be cut, since I imagine children with cancer are probably the best donation-getters of any group, but I’d be curious to know if that’s true or not.

Take a look at current events and ask yourself if it would really be the bad publicity you think it would be (for a significant percentage of the population).

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Ziv Zulander posted:

A lot of long running shows do stuff like that, not just medical dramas. I remember there was an episode of Star Trek where Miles spent a few (simulated) decades living in a torturous prison where he ended up murdering his cell mate for a scrap of food, and then spent the last years of his sentence in complete isolation. He went all crazy for the one episode, then by the next one it was business as usual.

There was an episode of the original Star Trek that was even worse - Uhura got her mind wiped and they had to teach her everything again, even how to read. Perfectly fine by the next episode though. To be fair, that was the 60s and continuity was an afterthought at best.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The original Star Trek is pretty amusing continuity-wise. The Federation and Starfleet didn't really exist recognisably until the movies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

After watching Enterprise, they should have explained why all the Federation members adopted human designed ships. There used to be weird looking Vulcan ships and Xindi ships or whatever. But in TNG everyone is using human ships.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mu Zeta posted:

After watching Enterprise, they should have explained why all the Federation members adopted human designed ships. There used to be weird looking Vulcan ships and Xindi ships or whatever. But in TNG everyone is using human ships.

Starfleet uses human ships. Because it is the same Starfleet from Enterprise. But there are still lots of vulcan science ships and things like that.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Araenna posted:

...Also, I stopped liking House when they decided to mix up addiction and dependence. As someone who suffers from chronic pain, them pushing the idea that if you are physically addicted to a medication means you should detox and live in pain made me pretty loving angry...

I hear you. A doc put me on Klonpin a few years ago and made me dependent. It took me the worst 2 months of my life to get off. I only found out, after the fact, how stupid I was with my tapering method. Doc had never told me it could be a 60 hour half life. I tapered over 3 weeks and then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I never went seeking, I didn't enjoy Clonazepam, I didn't go to a doctor, I just rode it out. Addiction at least includes fun. Dependency is medical.

I know chronic pain, but for me, I can manage it with Aleve. Not a big deal. However, my wife had two artificial hips by 34 (she's now 43) and currently has a rotator cuff problem and a really wonky ankle. She's a production chemist and is always hauling heavy stuff. She takes it like a trooper. All docs think she's seeking when she's telling them that she hurts. She's got congenital hip dysplasia. She's been in pain her whole life. She can't take opiates because it affects her gut too badly. Yet docs still blame her because she hurts. At this point, it'd be nice if she could get doped up but it will never happen.

The fact is, if I go in and say my shoulder hurts, they'll give me 90 tabs of oxy. If she goes in and says that she hurts so much she can't work, they tell her to take Tylenol.

//rant off I guess...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Torquemada posted:

Featuring one scene where the head surgeons stand around looking at x rays for ten minutes and the only dialogue is the word ‘gently caress’.

I'm positive this would be even more true to life than the original cop version.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The very first episode of Scrubs has Cox casually point out that the old lady JD's pushing around in a wheelchair is dead, and congratulate him on discovering that it's a great way to not get asked to do anything.

I think I learned a lot from that.

Also, Doug's body count.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do cafeterias in hospitals only serve the most unhealthiest fried foods and mashed potatoes. And there are vending machines with candy bars and chips everywhere.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If it was healthy food no one would ever get sick and they'd be out of business.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ryonguy posted:

Take a look at current events and ask yourself if it would really be the bad publicity you think it would be (for a significant percentage of the population).

White babies also get cancer. I see them in commercials all the time.

E: St. Jude has a hell of a marketing team imo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

There wasn't really a such thing as a "human" ship design given how diverse the Federation was. It's especially true given that the only real human design that was totally in a vacuum was the warp ship that got the Vulcan's attention. After that Vulcans and Humans became bestest buds and they taught humanity a lot. Kirk was born like 70 years after the Federation was founded and it was founded by four races so yeah...maybe I'm being a bit silly but the idea of a "human" ship design doesn't really fit Star Trek in any era.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There wasn't really a such thing as a "human" ship design given how diverse the Federation was. It's especially true given that the only real human design that was totally in a vacuum was the warp ship that got the Vulcan's attention. After that Vulcans and Humans became bestest buds and they taught humanity a lot. Kirk was born like 70 years after the Federation was founded and it was founded by four races so yeah...maybe I'm being a bit silly but the idea of a "human" ship design doesn't really fit Star Trek in any era.
Also you can tell the Enterprise is not a human ship design because it's not remotely penis-shaped.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

Why do cafeterias in hospitals only serve the most unhealthiest fried foods and mashed potatoes. And there are vending machines with candy bars and chips everywhere.

I figure most people at the hospital have bigger problems and could use comfort food.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Hospitals want to make money more than they want to promote health

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Plus, that's all cheap and can be guaranteed to serve the palates of fussy children and olds.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fumaofthelake posted:

Hospitals want to make money more than they want to promote health

This but also, while I haven't had to be inpatient in several years (yay me :unsmith:) most hospitals have healthy options available. It's a necessity for cardio and gastro patients.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mu Zeta posted:

Same reason they have 'smoking areas' - people are dumb

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

spog posted:

Same reason they have 'smoking areas' - people are dumb

Basically. If they don't have trash food on the premises people will just have it smuggled in, so they may as well make a buck off of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There's a hospital near me that used to have a McDonald's in it. I believe it's a Subway now

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Every doctor I've ever met has talked about how horrible smoking is or how bad junk food is, but then they will slam Russian slum quantities of vodka at a party or write each other prescriptions for oxycontin.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When you're sick and/or super stressed high energy food is good for you.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

roomforthetuna posted:

Also you can tell the Enterprise is not a human ship design because it's not remotely penis-shaped.

Well, it's not human penis shaped.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Every doctor I've ever met has talked about how horrible smoking is or how bad junk food is, but then they will slam Russian slum quantities of vodka at a party or write each other prescriptions for oxycontin.

This is more about books, but speaking of doctors and smoking, reading some old novels (Dead Zone is the example that comes to mind) where a doctor just lights up, during an exam, like it's no big thing. I know that used to happen, but it's still super jarring to read about, just like seeing how everyone used to smoke everywhere.

I don't think it's very common on TV anymore, but like someone said, smoking used to be shorthand for someone being a badass or someone not to be trifled with, like the Cigarette Smoking Man on the X-Files. He smoked in Skinner's office like it wasn't poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I swear cigarette companies used to pay film companies to show as many characters smoking as possible. They're paying for it now with how much smoking is censored and stigmatised on television.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm pretty sure once the government banned them from advertising on TV their profits skyrocketed because no one quit and they weren't paying gigantic sums for marketing. Smoking is cool and addictive. It will never stop being a thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I will never understand how smoking is not okay to advertise on TV and billboards but hard liquor is perfectly acceptable

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The same reason we have "Explicit Lyric" stickers on CDs. Politicians trying to get votes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

I will never understand how smoking is not okay to advertise on TV and billboards but hard liquor is perfectly acceptable

In either case you can’t show anybody actually consuming it

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Smoking is a the limpdick pussy drug for tryhards. It doesn't even get you high or hosed up; ooooh my mouth tingles a little, look out cocaine and whiskey you got some stiff competition! It's the trenchcoat and writing gently caress on your school bathroom wall version of dope. You want to look cool because smoking makes you look cool because people who look cool smoke. And then there's vaping:

some goon posted:

If I smoke an e-cig then I look hard-boiled and interesting, even though my baby palate means I have to puff candy-flavored clouds of nicotine water from a robot's dick.
The sooner it gets banned and nobody thinks about tobacco ever again the better. "Uh bluh prohibition doesn't work :smug:" Who the gently caress would bother with a drug that doesn't get you high even from the start?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Henchman of Santa posted:

In either case you can’t show anybody actually consuming it

But tv commercials are all about how beer/liquor are great and fun and make you a blast at parties.

Meanwhile I don't know anyone who smoked a pack of cigarettes and then decided to beat his wife and kids or rape someone because why not.

It's me. I'm the idiot on social media.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ryonguy posted:

Smoking is a the limpdick pussy drug for tryhards. It doesn't even get you high or hosed up; ooooh my mouth tingles a little, look out cocaine and whiskey you got some stiff competition! It's the trenchcoat and writing gently caress on your school bathroom wall version of dope. You want to look cool because smoking makes you look cool because people who look cool smoke. And then there's vaping:

The sooner it gets banned and nobody thinks about tobacco ever again the better. "Uh bluh prohibition doesn't work :smug:" Who the gently caress would bother with a drug that doesn't get you high even from the start?

Don't be such a square and just have a square.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

ryonguy posted:

Smoking is a the limpdick pussy drug for tryhards. It doesn't even get you high or hosed up; ooooh my mouth tingles a little, look out cocaine and whiskey you got some stiff competition! It's the trenchcoat and writing gently caress on your school bathroom wall version of dope. ... Who the gently caress would bother with a drug that doesn't get you high even from the start?

And this is the college freshman who looks back with chagrin on his high school trenchcoat days, and goes out and buys a big Jamaican flag with a weed leaf in the middle and hangs it in his dorm window.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ryonguy posted:

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Solice Kirsk posted:

Don't be such a square and just have a square.

If you're talking about edibles it's more like "1/16th of a square" ;)

Honestly my dad started smoking at like 13 years old which would have been 1963. When I was a kid I asked him why he wouldn't quit if it could cause cancer and he said it was "like an old friend to him." He has cut way back on smoking when he used to be a pack a day plus smoker but I doubt he will ever quit. His mom smoked and died from some lung disease, probably cancer. I was too young to understand what was going on at the time and haven't asked since. It really is kinda hosed up and I'm glad I never had any desire to try cigarettes (partly because of watching my dad age prematurely and cough all the time)

Yeah you could definitely say smoking did not age well

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We need to encourage more elderly to smoke in order to save social security

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Cops all smoked in the movies in the 80’s: in the 90’s all movie cops were trying to quit.

Also, I worked in a hospice in the late 80’s as a porter, and virtually every person that worked there smoked, in reply to the guy amazed at smoking doctors.

Torquemada has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you go outside an ER at any point, you will see at least three nurses and one doctor chainsmoking.