Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Dixville posted:

Also on the topic of Rent, there was a pretty good critique of it on YouTube by that girl that used to be "Nostalgia Chick" (Lindsay Ellis)
https://youtu.be/q0qfFbtIj5w

"Look Pretty and do as Little as Possible"

Edit it is more specifically a critique of the 2005 movie adaptation but it also touches on the issues with the original play

Was about to post this. She does a pretty good evaluation on why its really a pretty big piece of poo poo. Her other videos are really quite insightful as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

pseudosavior posted:

I loved that play when I was in high school, and saw it again fairly recently, and I couldn't even begin to feel the slightest bit sympathetic for a bunch of junkie "artists" who got a huge apartment in NYC for pennies on the dollar because their friend owned the building, and then still didn't want to get real jobs and pay their bills because heroin.

Seriously, gently caress like 90% of the characters in Rent.

Yeah, Angel and Mimi were the only characters whose plights I found at all sympathetic. Apparently the professor character was originally a philosophy professor but in this showing they changed it to comp sci and it is pretty hard for me to imagine a comp sci professor living in destitution because he's just so gosh darned principled about, like, object oriented programming or something. It was still a fun show, though!

P.S.: Who do you think you are/barging in on me and my guitar

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Jun 23, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
My experience with Rent was actually my high school AP English teacher playing us La Boheme (possibly this version?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW7py67QqZU

Followed by the movie version of Rent. He was my favorite teacher.

Seasons of Love is actually a decent song. I'm usually not big on musicals though. I used to get "Will I" stuck in my head all the time for some reason and it was pretty depressing lol.

Dixville has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Jun 23, 2018

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Musicals are stupid. I hate them. "His anus! His anus! As big as the sky! His anus! His anus, we ask ourselves why? That goat man on the internet. Hush hush hush hush. The goat man. Hush hush hush hush hush. Why. Is. That. Man. Doing. That. To. His anus!!!! We all know! Cause the internet!!!

I just wrote the newest best musical and it's called the internet.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rent has some good songs and Season of Love is like the 8th best one. Sitting through the whole 3 hours or whatever? gently caress that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man every time I say I don't like musicals people act like I just said Jordan Peterson is the greatest mind of our time or something else insane.

Some of us just don't like stories told through song.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

Probably it wasn't easy at the time, either, for a COUNTRY act to try it. It's around the same time Pat Boone did a bit of a metal thing for a "In A Metal Mood" album that a lot of people saw the whole promotion and gimmick of to be silly.

I think that album got him kicked out of the Christian coalition, at least for a while. I always thought it was Pat Boone's attempt to capture what Johnny Cash did with American Recordings and Unchained.

twistedmentat posted:

Man every time I say I don't like musicals people act like I just said Jordan Peterson is the greatest mind of our time or something else insane.

I saw a performance of Miss Saigon once, but I'm rather indifferent to musicals. I won't seek them out, but I also won't shun them either. I also have had zero interest in Rent.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Probably already posted.

From the smash hit album "Your Windows 95 Installation CD".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDl3bdE3YQA

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

twistedmentat posted:

I like the catchy songs from musicals, but that's about it.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

rockinricky posted:

Probably already posted.

Ahhh...WXRT

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

Rent has some good songs and Season of Love is like the 8th best one. Sitting through the whole 3 hours or whatever? gently caress that.

So the other 7 are...?

Even the first time I saw it I had to roll my eyes a bit at the "title track" as it were, which has the lyrics

We're not gonna pay
Last year's rent
This year's rent
Next year's rent
Rent Rent Rent Re-ent Rent
We're not gonna pay rent

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Musicals are stupid. I hate them. "His anus! His anus! As big as the sky! His anus! His anus, we ask ourselves why? That goat man on the internet. Hush hush hush hush. The goat man. Hush hush hush hush hush. Why. Is. That. Man. Doing. That. To. His anus!!!! We all know! Cause the internet!!!

I just wrote the newest best musical and it's called the internet.

My dad has made basically this exact same statement in the past and I mostly agree with it.
He did not reference the goat man though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dixville posted:

My dad has made basically this exact same statement in the past and I mostly agree with it.
He did not reference the goat man though.

A musical about the history of SA would be amazing though.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Iron Crowned posted:

A musical about the history of SA would be amazing though.

This is definitely true. Unfortunately it would have to be outsourced because goon projects are always doomed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dixville posted:

This is definitely true. Unfortunately it would have to be outsourced because goon projects are always doomed.

The Zyborne Clock has given us much more entertainment than a completed project ever could have given us.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

rockinricky posted:

Probably already posted.

No that was this one... right?? Unless there were different regional versions of the disc or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqL1BLzn3qc

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

twistedmentat posted:

I find them to be incredibly cheesy and that pulls me out of the story. I’ve tried, but the only musical I really enjoyed was Spamalot.

I understand that this makes me a plebe but I really don’t care for musicals. I didn’t even know Hamilton was rap. It was out for two years before I found out.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Dixville posted:

Also on the topic of Rent, there was a pretty good critique of it on YouTube by that girl that used to be "Nostalgia Chick" (Lindsay Ellis)
https://youtu.be/q0qfFbtIj5w

"Look Pretty and do as Little as Possible"

Edit it is more specifically a critique of the 2005 movie adaptation but it also touches on the issues with the original play

I remember catching the London stage show in '99, having just moved up there and being poor as hell. Used all my spare cash for the month at the discount ticket booth to get two tickets as a treat for my then GF. It was a terrible show, but still a good experience as the cast gave it 100 loving percent all the way through. They deserved better material, but by god those actors sang and danced their hearts out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So am I right in assuming that Hamilton is just the next iteration of Rent, a really hot musical that's just hot garbage?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The crazy thing is that I don't think I've ever heard a song from any major musical (even big hit movie ones) outside of Disney songs that I recognize from the last 25 or so years and recognized it as such.

Maybe the ONLY one I remember are a few from Moulin Rouge, and MAYBE because they had pop song covers and musical video tie-ins.

But it's not been a moment where I've been in a store or had the top 40 pop station playing at work and gone, "Oh, I know that song because it was really popular from Hamilton, Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, Rent, etc..."

(Okay, I recognize most songs from the South Park movie, but those aren't getting played on the radio or in stores.)

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

So am I right in assuming that Hamilton is just the next iteration of Rent, a really hot musical that's just hot garbage?

As someone who has seen both: Hamilton's really good, Rent's really bad, the best musicals to see are the ones where the cast and crew embrace the cheesiness of it all.

But seriously, Rent sucks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OutOfPrint posted:

As someone who has seen both: Hamilton's really good, Rent's really bad, the best musicals to see are the ones where the cast and crew embrace the cheesiness of it all.

But seriously, Rent sucks.

Still not going to get me to see Hamilton, HTH

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Beastie posted:

I find them to be incredibly cheesy and that pulls me out of the story. I’ve tried, but the only musical I really enjoyed was Spamalot.

I understand that this makes me a plebe but I really don’t care for musicals. I didn’t even know Hamilton was rap. It was out for two years before I found out.

I just loathe most musicals. I don't care for the medium. I even hated the Adventure Zone episode that had the writer of Hamilton on it because he wouldn't stop obnoxiously singing all the time. It was character flavor, he was a bard, but I still hated it. I just wanted fun adventure.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JediTalentAgent posted:

The crazy thing is that I don't think I've ever heard a song from any major musical (even big hit movie ones) outside of Disney songs that I recognize from the last 25 or so years and recognized it as such.

Maybe the ONLY one I remember are a few from Moulin Rouge, and MAYBE because they had pop song covers and musical video tie-ins.

But it's not been a moment where I've been in a store or had the top 40 pop station playing at work and gone, "Oh, I know that song because it was really popular from Hamilton, Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, Rent, etc..."

(Okay, I recognize most songs from the South Park movie, but those aren't getting played on the radio or in stores.)

I've heard stuff from The Hamilton Mixtape playing in a restaurant.

Even the most popular musicals never get played on the radio simply as a matter of course; the Frozen soundtrack debuted at #18 on Billboard 200 and is certified triple Platinum (it sold over 10 million copies in 2014 alone, about 10 times the amount of sales that Some Nights got in two years) and the Les Miserables movie soundtrack was #30 at the end of the year, but they got zero radio play except as a gimmick or special request. "Blurred Lines" sold fewer records than either but got endless radio play.

You won't hear musicals playing on the Top 40 pop station because those stations only play non-soundtrack music. If it doesn't get a commercial cover or a separate release of some kind from a film soundtrack, it'll never get played no matter how many more copies it sells than what's on the radio.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

chitoryu12 posted:

I've heard stuff from The Hamilton Mixtape playing in a restaurant.

Even the most popular musicals never get played on the radio simply as a matter of course; the Frozen soundtrack debuted at #18 on Billboard 200 and is certified triple Platinum (it sold over 10 million copies in 2014 alone, about 10 times the amount of sales that Some Nights got in two years) and the Les Miserables movie soundtrack was #30 at the end of the year, but they got zero radio play except as a gimmick or special request. "Blurred Lines" sold fewer records than either but got endless radio play.

You won't hear musicals playing on the Top 40 pop station because those stations only play non-soundtrack music. If it doesn't get a commercial cover or a separate release of some kind from a film soundtrack, it'll never get played no matter how many more copies it sells than what's on the radio.

Counterpoint: The Blues Brothers

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Counterpoint 2: Man of La Mancha (the original Broadway cast)

Counterpoint 3: The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Sondheim rules ok

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think someone made a comment as to why Disney songs tended to always win the Academy Award for best song was because Disney was able to get them a lot more pop radio airplay. Six of Ten 90s Best Songs Oscars went to Disney movies in the 90s, with 5 of those being to animated movies.

Conversely, the 2000-2010 era of best song looks like backlash against that in some respect. I look at all the nominees and winners for best songs look a lot different and even the number of songs nominated in many years was only 3 from 4-5.

edit: From about 2000-2011, I can't really remember many/any of the winners or nominees and the number of nominees even drops to 3 for several years. In 2011 it seemed to be a really low point as only 2 songs were even nominated. In 2012, though, Skyfall is hugely popular single, which I wonder if that helped revive interest in original songs from movies to the point that they go back to getting about 5 nominees.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Jun 25, 2018

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It's like yeah ok everyone is singing but how do you all know the words and there's dance moves how do they all know the choreography gaaaah.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=namndS6fvEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjuF_wiOds0

Shifty Nipples has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Jun 25, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Counterpoint 2: Man of La Mancha (the original Broadway cast)

Counterpoint 3: The Rocky Horror Picture Show

If we're talking radio play, I don't think I've ever once heard Man of La Mancha on the radio anywhere and I've only heard Rocky Horror songs on occasion during Halloween. And they're always the movie version, not any other (even the Rocky Horror Punk Rock Show).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have mixed feelings about musicals. Used to really like them (because I used to do a lot of Andrew Lloyd Webber songs for fun back when I had piano lessons) but a family holiday in America years ago where my sister found the Broadway channel on the radio and we had to listen to it every time we drove anywhere soured me on them when I realised everyone has basically the same vocal style and very similar voices.

There's a particular approach to vocal performance you need to adopt when you're performing in a musical; everything has to be very clearly and carefully enunciated and you basically have to act with your singing, which makes a lot of the songs feel like they're being performed more than they're being sung (that's a poo poo way of putting it but I'm not sure how to articulate it - do you get what I mean?) and it's usually fine when you're actually seeing it done live, but it doesn't really translate well to audio recording.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I enjoy Trey Parker musicals and he's pretty 90s.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have mixed feelings about musicals. Used to really like them (because I used to do a lot of Andrew Lloyd Webber songs for fun back when I had piano lessons) but a family holiday in America years ago where my sister found the Broadway channel on the radio and we had to listen to it every time we drove anywhere soured me on them when I realised everyone has basically the same vocal style and very similar voices.

There's a particular approach to vocal performance you need to adopt when you're performing in a musical; everything has to be very clearly and carefully enunciated and you basically have to act with your singing, which makes a lot of the songs feel like they're being performed more than they're being sung (that's a poo poo way of putting it but I'm not sure how to articulate it - do you get what I mean?) and it's usually fine when you're actually seeing it done live, but it doesn't really translate well to audio recording.

I do know what you mean. To use La Mancha again, I have the CDs and DVDS for the original Broadway performance, the film and the "classic" one with Placido Domingo and a cast of professionally trained opera singers.

The first and latter versions are the better albums in every technical sense. But the film version is infinitely more worth a listen because they tell the story so much better than merely standing there singing a song.

I mean, as terrible a singer as Sophia Loren certainly is, she loving nails Aldonza. And Peter O'Toole is incredible as the titular character.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Jun 25, 2018

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Shifty Nipples posted:

It's like yeah ok everyone is singing but how do you all know the words and there's dance moves how do they all know the choreography gaaaah.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=namndS6fvEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjuF_wiOds0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diegesis?wprov=sfla1#In_musical_theatre

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

He just needs a drug rug hoodie to complete the look.

Excuse me, these are called Baja Jackets :mexico:

They still sell alot of those down here by the border! Then again, we have a very large reggae, surfer, hippie population down here for some reason also....

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
A friend tried to drag me to Evil Dead Musical, but I hesitated, and listened to the whole soundtrack. Nothing grabbed me, it actually wasn't even cheesey song wise, just bad.

I will make an exception for Rocky Horror though, and Phantom of the Paradise isn't a musical becaucse all the songs take place as performances within the movie.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I’ve never seen Rocky Horror. I’m such a bad person. Every time a screening is shown I’m out of town or have tickets to something else.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Alright, then what is the driving force behind the choreographed song and dance? Why is everyone compelled without their own awareness to bust out into song? Considering that Buffy episode am I supposed to believe musicals are all just ghosts loving with people?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

im enjoying the sequel to PYF Goes To The Movies, PYF Goes To The Theatre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I was reminded of a very 90s experience reading the corporate hell thread today.

In maybe 1996 half the school crammed into the library where a very special telephone was set up (probably literally just a speakerphone). There was some series of conference calls set up where schools around New Zealand were going to ask questions and a guy boating up the Amazon would answer them. It may have been sponsored by Telecom, which used to do a lot of 'connecting schools' initiatives, probably to cover over it's bloated monopoly shittiness.

Sure enough, as soon as whoever was organizing the calls started speaking, we'd without fail get cut off and spend the next 20 minutes in landline international call hell, maybe connecting for 30 seconds before dropping, mysterious pauses where everyone wondered whether we will still connected or not, give up, hang up, try again. Every so often the call would be overwhelmed by an enormous feedback squeal or uncontrollable space echoes and the answer was usually to disconnect and start again or set the phone so low that the chatter turned into intermittent humming.

Eventually we'd connect and some slightly muffled voice from Whykikamoocow Primary would ask an exciting question like "what is the food like on the boat" and the answer would come back "Herble greep murmle foo snod beddy good yeah".

This happened every week for about 3 or 4 times and then the big day dawned where we got to ask a question. We had even worse trouble than usual connecting but halfway through the session we caught hold and finally after a couple of Q and A s the star kid who'd won the privilege of asking the question got to do their thing. "What is the food like on the boat" they announced clearly over the phone, with the clearest voice we'd heard all day coming back out the speaker and only feeding back a little bit. There was a pause. The muffled voice came back "Nagt meer you, are you nere?" He waited a bit, repeated the question, then "ok, I gant hear you, negst xqshhhtn mlease" I don't think we bothered with any more sessions after that.

The only thing I remember learning was that Manus was a dirty place with lots of criminals, so I guess I at least learned something, I had never before imagined that a nice place like the Amazon might have dirty towns with criminals nearby. I guess I learned that phone systems are pretty rubbish when you try and do things out of the ordinary on them too, so all in all it was a worthwhile use of four classes worth of teaching time.