Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

JcDent posted:

Oye, what is there to see in Gdansk in terms of milhist sites?

Westerplatte has a memorial for the first shots of WW2 but it was underwhelming. It did have Poles cosplaying as Wehrmacht, which was kinda whoa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

chitoryu12 posted:

This continued into Vietnam as well. A lot of local alcohol was purchased and soldiers in civilian areas often hit up the bars. Beer was shipped from America as part of a unit's regular supplies at firebases, and some units would pool their money to get someone to buy more beer on resupply missions.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ChubbyChecker posted:

pole dancing round the periscope?

The sail, actually.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

JcDent posted:

Oye, what is there to see in Gdansk in terms of milhist sites?

ORP Blyskawica, a WWII-era destroyer that broke out of the Baltic to England in the early days of the war, fought in Norway, in the Battle of Atlantic, during D-Day, and in the Battle of Ushant. Wikipedia tells me it is the oldest preserved destroyer in the world, but I am not sure if this is accurate.

EDIT: Also I would advise against visiting Malbork in a package deal with Gdansk. The fortress is huge and there is a lot to see there, so I would recommend visiting it during the Malbork Siege reenactment (July 20-22), which also features a huge fair and is really cool.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 23, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

chitoryu12 posted:

The British in WW2 even experimented with a brewing ship to get beer to the Pacific, though it wasn't finished in time for the war's end.

I've wanted a video game revolving around brewing for a very long time and I think this is it right there. "Make Beer or Die." Balancing the logistics for getting fermentables, being able to work that together into something of a good quality, and deliver it as close as you can to the troops without risking getting blown up. Like, I can imagine there isn't any malt nearby and you're throwing amylase in with a bunch of unmalted barley and wheat, but you still don't have enough fermentables. So you trade some intermediately-fermented product with locals to get platains, starchy roots, and molasses, and you're meanwhile having to desalinate ocean water because you can't take too much of limited fresh water nearby. An American submarine mistakes you for the enemy and a torpedo unceremoniously bonks off the side of the hull.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mr Enderby posted:

I met a guy at a wedding a couple of years ago, who had just been chucked out the rn for running a ship onto a shoal. He was really bummed about it.

I mean, there's an awful lot of oggin and hardly any shoal, and they even put floaty things there to tell you where it is. Unless he's one of those poor buggers who could never remember which was West and which was East...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone interested in this there's been a parallel discussion of courts martial and captains losing their commands over in the cold war thread.

We've even got strippers! On submarines!

No, really.
members of the military? stupid poo poo?! huge if true

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

members of the military? stupid poo poo?! huge if true

I mean, if any ship's crew needs strippers it's a submarine's. Do other countries have equivalent subs to the US' boomers that just wander around in hiding for months at a time? I know Russia has hunter-killers and fast attack a analogues, but I never hear about boomers except for American ones.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I mean, if any ship's crew needs strippers it's a submarine's. Do other countries have equivalent subs to the US' boomers that just wander around in hiding for months at a time? I know Russia has hunter-killers and fast attack a analogues, but I never hear about boomers except for American ones.

Sure they do. The Typhoon class is the one most people think of, but they had a few older ones as well. I think they've got a new one that they put together to replace the typhoons they inherited from the USSR.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

AFAIK, each major nuclear naval power has ballistic missile boats, other than Pakistan. Though, that is counting India's single Arihant, and I'm not sure if they do the whole "3 months on, 3 months off" schedule.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 23rd June 1918 posted:

Inspections as usual. Bathing parades were held under company arrangements.
In the afternoon two football matches were held - "A" versus "C" Coy., and "B" versus "D". Also the platoon of "C" Coy. practiced for the competition on the range.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

The Soviets definitely had boomers and they're about as comfortable and filled with ameneties as you'd expect from a Soviet submarine. Some even lit on fire, which is definitely not what you want to have happen when you're underwater. The Typhoon class did have a swimming pool and other interesting creature comforts. Probably makes them less miserable than the typical sub.

Related, but from my experience, submariners are all weird. Doesn't matter if they're Aussie, Japanese or American, I've never met a normal submariner.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
examples? weird how? dish, my dude, dish

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Good officers, would follow to hell and back, etc

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

Good officers, would follow to hell and back, etc

unironically this. those dudes rule.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Don Gato posted:

The Soviets definitely had boomers and they're about as comfortable and filled with ameneties as you'd expect from a Soviet submarine. Some even lit on fire, which is definitely not what you want to have happen when you're underwater. The Typhoon class did have a swimming pool and other interesting creature comforts. Probably makes them less miserable than the typical sub.

Related, but from my experience, submariners are all weird. Doesn't matter if they're Aussie, Japanese or American, I've never met a normal submariner.

This guy is apparently not loving around concerning the pool. I did a google search and there's a quora thread on the topic and the person who answered it was making a certain amount of sense before they started ranting about women on subs and these kids today and their phones.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
What happened to the brandy?

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
This bit about the typhoons has some pictures of the swimming pools. (And everything else.)

https://imgur.com/a/xi3P3

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Don Gato posted:

There’s a memorial to British submariners along the Thames in London. The designers of said memorial thought it was appropriate to feature a front-view cross-section of a submarine with a few crewmen working away, while outside the hull they were completely surrounded by a horde of screaming sea-ghosts.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tomn posted:

There’s a memorial to British submariners along the Thames in London. The designers of said memorial thought it was appropriate to feature a front-view cross-section of a submarine with a few crewmen working away, while outside the hull they were completely surrounded by a horde of screaming sea-ghosts.

Foolish designers, the screaming is supposed to be going on on the inside

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

i have unironically read a lovecraft short story that was very like this

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GUNS posted:

Is it about a submarine designed to traverse hell?

Like imagine being in a hell submarine where there's constant screaming outside the hull and your crew is slowly losing the fight against madness and the urge to open the hatch because they hear someone pounding and screaming for help at all times.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tomn posted:

holy poo poo you weren't kidding

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cyrano4747 posted:

holy poo poo you weren't kidding

Notice how the ghosts are reaching for the submarine, pulling at it, clawing at it, reaching in particular for the top. Trying to get in, to reach the warmth and safety they once knew...or to get the crew out?

join us

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

Oh yeah, "The Temple".

When I read it I kept noticing the many, many ways that Lovecraft didn't understand how submarines worked.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh yeah, "The Temple".

When I read it I kept noticing the many, many ways that Lovecraft didn't understand how submarines worked.
or the eternal prussia/bavaria slapfight

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

chitoryu12 posted:

This continued into Vietnam as well. A lot of local alcohol was purchased and soldiers in civilian areas often hit up the bars. Beer was shipped from America as part of a unit's regular supplies at firebases, and some units would pool their money to get someone to buy more beer on resupply missions.

When my father was in Vietnam, one of the places he was in got one helicopter a week. It could carry three pallets. One was ammo and the other two were beer.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chillbro Baggins posted:

When my father was in Vietnam, one of the places he was in got one helicopter a week. It could carry three pallets. One was ammo and the other two were beer.

if a letter from a captain comes in and it says "we have been having to buy beer on credit," you know that things are getting very bad for that company

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Would you have given these guys credit?

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Chillbro Baggins posted:

A dozen years ago I was talking to some young Brit who was over here (Canada) for his civvy helo license. He was an ex RAF helicopter pilot.
While posted in Afganistan he claimed that most evenings, his last flight was to Kabul to pick up as much beer as his chopper could hold from the Russian gangsters. Most would get sold to the adjoining American airbase.
I dunno if that was bullshit or not, but it was a good story.

That's my story, thanks for listening.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
VK 36.01

Queue: Luchs, Leopard, and other recon tanks, PzIII Ausf. G trials in the USSR, SU-203, 105 mm howitzer M2A1, Mosin, Baranov's pocket mortar, Pz.Sfl.IVc, Jagdpanzer 38(t) "Hetzer", Soviet tank winter camo, Semovente L40 da 47/32, Semovente da 75/18, Semovente da 105/25, 7.92 mm wz. 35 anti-tank rifle, 76.2 mm wz. 1902 and 75 mm wz. 1902/26, IM-1 squeezebore cannon, 45 mm M-6 gun, 25-pounder, 25-pounder "Baby", 37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3, 36 inch Little David mortar, 105 mm howitzer M3, 15 cm sIG 33, 10.5 cm leFH 18, 7.5 cm LG 40, 10.5 cm LG 42, 17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf., 47 mm wz.25 infantry gun, Ferdinand, Tiger (P), Scorpion, SKS, Australian Centurions in Vietnam, PzIII Ausf. E and F, PzIII Ausf. G and H, Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR, PzIII Ausf.J-N, Russian Renault, Nashorn/Hornisse, Medium Tank M4A2E8, P.1000 and other work by Grotte, KV-100 and KV-122, Cruiser Tank Mk.I, Cruiser Tank Mk.II, Valentine III and V, Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18
Kalashnikov's debut works
SU-152 combat debut
MS-1 production
Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine
SU-76M (SU-15M) production

:britain:
Archer

:911:
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
HMC T82
57 mm gun M1
Medium Tank M4A4 NEW

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Panther trials in the USSR
Grosstraktor

:france:
Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39

:italy:
FIAT 3000

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
The Dreyfus Affair was like the OJ Simpson Trial but for France.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

Would you have given these guys credit?

i wouldn't have given them a bag of potato chips without a signed invoice tbh

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I want to say that one of the African heads of state, lieutenant or colonel who took over one of the northern countries IIRC, shot people who failed him personally.

Epicurius posted:

There was a pretty big purge in the Soviet Union at the very beginning of the war of generals considered criminally incompetent. Dmitri Pavlov was executed after the battle of Minsk along with almost all of his senior staff. The only one who wasn't was Gen. Ivan Boldin, who had commanded a group trapped behind enemy lines and got it safely back to the Soviet lines. General Yermakov, who commanded the 50th Army in Tula was executed in November for letting the 50th Army get encircled during Operation Typhoon.

During the Russo-Swedish war of 1741, Generals Henrik von Buddenbrock and Karl Lewenhaupt were executed, pretty much as scapegoats, after the fall of Villmanstrand.

He wasn't a general, but Friedrich Wilhelm von Lindeiner-Wildau, the Colonel commanding the Stalagluft where the Great Escape happened, was courtmartialed for allowing the escape. he wasn't convicted, though.

I don't know if it's apocryphal, because I only saw it in.. that movie.. but there's the scene were Krushchev gives the prior commander of Stalingrad a gun and implies he should shoot himself and spare a humiliating trial, and then he does.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

i wouldn't have given them a bag of potato chips without a signed invoice tbh

DO NOT REFUSE US CREDIT, AS A SWORD THROUGH THE KNACKERS OFTEN OFFENDS

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Arban posted:

This bit about the typhoons has some pictures of the swimming pools. (And everything else.)

https://imgur.com/a/xi3P3

This is awesome, thank you for that.

Tias posted:

I want to say that one of the African heads of state, lieutenant or colonel who took over one of the northern countries IIRC, shot people who failed him personally.

I don't know if it's apocryphal, because I only saw it in.. that movie.. but there's the scene were Krushchev gives the prior commander of Stalingrad a gun and implies he should shoot himself and spare a humiliating trial, and then he does.

Bab Hoskins in Enemy at the Gates. It might have happened, but the early parts of that movie (except crossing the river) do not seem to be cut out of whole cloth, rather they are trying to drive home a year and a half of getting your teeth kicked in and a brutal government in like 10 minutes so they can get to the story.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tias posted:

Well, the Southestern Front at Stalingrad was new at the time of the battle, made up of parts of the disbanded Southern Front, commanded by Malinovsky, who died in 1967, and the Stalingrad Front, commanded by Gordov. Gordov was executed in 1950 after he made remarks considered critical of Stalin and executed. So, either it's apocryphal, or I'm not sure who it was.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Soviets straight up executed an entire divisions worth of their own me over the course of the battle of Stalingrad. I can't recall if blocking detachments were a thing or not at that point but they absolutely were not shy about enforcing 'not one step backwards'.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I can see the previous post going down well with the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alchenar posted:

The Soviets straight up executed an entire divisions worth of their own me over the course of the battle of Stalingrad.

Citation needed.