Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

I wouldn't have really noticed the weirdness with characters not interacting if your main character had at least two or three lines. Other characters don't necessarily need them, but it feels odd to have Primrose going like, "I don't know why you'd want to help me, but okay," joining up with Alfyn, and then Alfyn remaining totally silent as they go to witness horrible trauma for Primrose and kill a guy. Just a line like, "I can't see someone in need and not help out" or something would've smoothed it over so much.

Then give each character one or two lines they can say to any main character at the end of their prologue to the effect of, "It looks like we're going the same way, so we might as well stick together for a while." There, done. They don't even need to be voiced.

Personally, I disagree with this. All the first chapter scenarios were designed to be the one that the player could be playing first, and I think it would be even more jarring to have Alfyn go "WELL SHUCKS" from the peanut gallery as Primrose's story plays out. That...is an exaggeration I admit, but shoehorning a character into a story sequence that was never accounted for in the first place is always noticeable. See Marie in Persona 4 Golden! You know, right off screen, where she always was, honest!

Now, if the second chapter onward for each character has the rest of your party missing or whatever when it makes sense to have all 8 characters joined up, then that would be weird. And apparently from a preview Game Informer did they are reactive in later chapters so I am not too worried about that. But for the first chapters, I am perfectly fine suspending disbelief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Recruiting other characters is optional though, so it'd be more like FF6's World of Ruin. Sure, they can have some character interaction but having lots of it would mean having to have constant checks for who is/isn't in the party and adjust accordingly, that is a hell of a lot of work to do.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Recruiting other characters is optional though, so it'd be more like FF6's World of Ruin. Sure, they can have some character interaction but having lots of it would mean having to have constant checks for who is/isn't in the party and adjust accordingly, that is a hell of a lot of work to do.

Making a video game is a hell of a lot of work to do :pram:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's a lot of work, sure, but I don't think it's an unreasonable amount of work. It seems like all that interaction could be something that could fit into the scope of everything else they're doing. Limiting things to eight characters helps a lot with that, too.

It'll probably be a combination of party members chipping in for certain quests that may interest them, and something like those friendship spots in Xenoblade where if you have the right characters in your party you can trigger a cutscene to build their friendship a bit. At least I'm hoping it's along that scope. I could and probably will end up disappointed.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Hammer Bro. posted:

Anybody know if they've been sending out surveys for this demo? If so, do we know the questions?

I didn't get one but my primary complaint would still be Let Us Turn Down HD-SD (or whatever they're calling it) If We Want.

The game is pretty much finished. They’re not going to send out surveys to change things especially on a huge scale.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
They should send out a survey so we can all ask/beg for Bravely Default-style encounter rate toggling. That seems to be the one feature request I see regularly.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I took a look at the Octopath reddit and saw people were already number crunching and data-mining who the most optimal party members and the like were. I think that's a little much at this point.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

I took a look at the Octopath reddit and saw people were already number crunching and data-mining who the most optimal party members and the like were. I think that's a little much at this point.

clearly they don't know the the most important metric: how cool and/or adorbs is this character

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Your Computer posted:

clearly they don't know the the most important metric: how cool and/or adorbs is this character

They are all very cool and adorbs.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Folt The Bolt posted:

They are all very cool and adorbs.

Especially if their name is Tressa.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

jimmydalad posted:

Especially if their name is Tressa.

I never understood why Tressa was so loved. Like, yeah, she's cute and I like her, but I found Alfyn a little cuter. Tressa's a close second.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's very cool how characters get significantly different skills and potential builds--like how my Therion could have gone a support debuff route for the beginning but I gave him HP Thief and SP Steal to keep him an evading sustain machine. I went H'aanit next and I love the little Pokemon skillset she can potentially have going. Doing Trueshot crits to her prologue boss was rad as gently caress, too. The game feels like such an oldschool FF6 but with modern upgrades and a way better encounter rate (nowhere near as bad as the older games), it's just a perfect throwback to offering a classic enjoyable RPG. I'm sad the final hour is creeping up now so I probably won't get the third character.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

I never understood why Tressa was so loved. Like, yeah, she's cute and I like her, but I found Alfyn a little cuter. Tressa's a close second.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

:perfect:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Junpei posted:

Because she has a hat.

Alfyn does not have a hat.

Checkmate.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Eventually we’re going to need these for all the cast :allears:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

If someone made a Cyrus one within the av limit, I'd claim it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Because she has a hat.

Alfyn does not have a hat.

Checkmate.

Alfyn has a ponytail.

Tressa does not have a ponytail.

(His associated color is also green, which is my favorite color.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

You know, after hearing all the pre-boss battle themes, I must say that they are all pretty awesome! My favorite of them is Cyrus (For Truth), then Alfyn (For Succor), H'aanit (For Master), Tressa (For Treasure), Ophilia (For Light), Olberic (For Redemption), Therion (For Freedom), and finally Primrose (For Revenge).

(Also like that, like the pre-boss battle themes, each of the characters' starting town and area use their instruments.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

jimmydalad posted:

I'd like to see Cyrus, Therion or Ophilia next.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jimmydalad posted:

I didn't actually draw them though, just made dumb gifs from the art in the OP :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I started with Cyrus, but then met Tressa and did her storyline. I'm on the Tressa bandwagon now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I still havent played the demo yet but I will probably, play as Tressa

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I still havent played the demo yet but I will probably, play as Tressa

This is a good decision.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I definitely did not think I would like Cyrus, but he might just be my favorite character of the bunch (and I already loved Primrose).

After going through everything, I loved the 2nd demo even more and can't wait for the full game. But probably my biggest criticism is that the voice acting gets very very quiet sometimes. I had to put the music volume almost at 0 just to make out what Ophilia's victory lines were even when I put the voices at max volume. For battles it's w/e since I can expect it, but there's no telling for cutscenes when it's gonna be normal or quiet.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Okay, I did it. I really like Tressa's skills. They're great.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Personally, I disagree with this. All the first chapter scenarios were designed to be the one that the player could be playing first, and I think it would be even more jarring to have Alfyn go "WELL SHUCKS" from the peanut gallery as Primrose's story plays out. That...is an exaggeration I admit, but shoehorning a character into a story sequence that was never accounted for in the first place is always noticeable. See Marie in Persona 4 Golden! You know, right off screen, where she always was, honest!

Now, if the second chapter onward for each character has the rest of your party missing or whatever when it makes sense to have all 8 characters joined up, then that would be weird. And apparently from a preview Game Informer did they are reactive in later chapters so I am not too worried about that. But for the first chapters, I am perfectly fine suspending disbelief.

One thing they could've done is have the game start with everyone sitting around a table like that one piece of concept art, and then have them all tell stories about how they got to this point. You pick the order you play those stories out, and that's how the prologues happen. When you're done, Chapter 2 picks up there with the whole party together, and you never have to worry about where characters are during each others' prologues. One downside is that you go from everything being solo to having a full party immediately, though.

But what I meant wasn't necessarily to have people chime in during each others' story scenes, but before and after. There's always a couple of lines when a character's prologue gets to the "this is when the rest of the party joins in" point, but there's never a response to those lines. Adding a response would make a huge difference. Similarly, they never really address why the characters stick together after that point--again, one or two lines at that point would smooth it over. As it is, there's just no acknowledgment at all.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Are all of the scenarios as one-dimensional thief man or did I just pick the bad one from the lot?

I've been wanting a new good jRPG since like forever so I picked up the demo. Unfortunately, I'll have to keep looking after my vision recovers from these eye searing lighting effects and anti-aliased to poo poo pixels:

(Why is he using a torch when everything is exploding with light?)

This castle that was supposed to be packed with hazards and traps is filled with boring random battles against guards and... whatever the hell this is supposed to be:

Then I get to the coveted treasure and it's... a ball, then I'm then attacked by a butler who either turns impossibly huge for the battle, or his guard is a literal toy. I get what they were going for; certain old school RPGs had larger human enemies; but in this context is looks weird and badly scaled.

All of the dialog is so stilted and bloated that I found myself skipping over voiced lines after I finished reading just so they'd get to the point.

It felt like I was playing an old RPGmaker game from 2003; back during the great lighting effect fad... Are all of the scenarios this bad, or was it just this one? The battle system didn't impress either honestly.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Night Blade posted:

Are all of the scenarios as one-dimensional thief man or did I just pick the bad one from the lot?

I've been wanting a new good jRPG since like forever so I picked up the demo. Unfortunately, I'll have to keep looking after my vision recovers from these eye searing lighting effects and anti-aliased to poo poo pixels:

(Why is he using a torch when everything is exploding with light?)

This castle that was supposed to be packed with hazards and traps is filled with boring random battles against guards and... whatever the hell this is supposed to be:

Then I get to the coveted treasure and it's... a ball, then I'm then attacked by a butler who either turns impossibly huge for the battle, or his guard is a literal toy. I get what they were going for; certain old school RPGs had larger human enemies; but in this context is looks weird and badly scaled.

All of the dialog is so stilted and bloated that I found myself skipping over voiced lines after I finished reading just so they'd get to the point.

It felt like I was playing an old RPGmaker game from 2003; back during the great lighting effect fad... Are all of the scenarios this bad, or was it just this one? The battle system didn't impress either honestly.

I like the game somewhat but tbh I do feel like it has the RPGmaker or Kickstarter game vibe.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Harrow posted:

One thing they could've done is have the game start with everyone sitting around a table like that one piece of concept art, and then have them all tell stories about how they got to this point.

I ~think?~ they’re trying to let you get to chapter 2 without recruiting everyone if you don’t want. I suspect you have to have four guys in your party, but maybe I’m wrong and YouTube is finna fill up with Tressa only runs

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Harrow posted:

Similarly, they never really address why the characters stick together after that point--again, one or two lines at that point would smooth it over. As it is, there's just no acknowledgment at all.

Yeah, it's funny how it makes sense for some characters to take in other party members but it doesn't for others. Tressa, Ophilia, Alfynn, and Cyrus all kinda make sense for why they'd take along anyone they could for their stories. But it definitely doesn't make sense for Therion who's whole shtick was about being alone, or imo Primrose's since the party joins at an awkward rushed time.

And, to your point, since there isn't any dialogue for any of this, the party feels very very loose when you take in the multiple motives where they joined at weird times.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Night Blade posted:

-snip-

The prologues (the ones I've played anyway) haven't been super duper interesting but I feel like they serve their purpose. Only one I've played that I was a bit disappointed in was Ophilia's, but that was my own fault for thinking it would have a plot twist. I've enjoyed the voice acting in Japanese, but it does have the same problem that Bravely Second did where the English script and Japanese script are different enough that they're often saying very different stuff than what's on the screen.

I agree about the post-processing effects though, I was really hoping they would allow us to tone it down but the only thing they did was put in an option to disable the vignette (screen darkening around the edges). At least most people I've talked about the game with (and this thread) seem to love the effects, so I'll just admit to being a curmudgeon and try not to worry about it too much :v:

speaking of dialogue, I've been trying to figure out the faux ye olde English and I'm starting to be convinced they just wrote a normal script and ran it through a converter. It's so bizarrely bad.

on the plus side, some of the normal dialogue is good :pram:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was dumbfounded when Tressa's mom had a Minnesota accent. It was actually pretty refreshing to hear that in a European style fantasy setting JRPG.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Bean posted:

but maybe I’m wrong and YouTube is finna fill up with Tressa only runs
don't doxx me

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Your Computer posted:

speaking of dialogue, I've been trying to figure out the faux ye olde English and I'm starting to be convinced they just wrote a normal script and ran it through a converter. It's so bizarrely bad.

Yon wolves wrecketh mine aught, Arisen

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Yon wolves wrecketh mine aught, Arisen

what the fucke did'st thou just loving sayeth about me, thee drat wench? I shall hast thou knoweth I graduat'd toppe of mine class in the navy seales

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Standest thou against me? Then be hunted!

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
Favorite part of the game so far is when H'aanit has her animal friend brutally maul two kids in the town square before they can react and they're like "thanks for teaching me how to fight!" :downs:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I downloaded the Project Octopath demo forever ago but never booted it up, played the rollover demo yesterday for 2 hours (Primrose -> Olberic prologues) and was pretty impressed. Next up is grabbing the merchant girl; however, I'm scared that I only have 1 hour left on the demo and it's 3 whole weeks before this thing drops. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

I downloaded the Project Octopath demo forever ago but never booted it up, played the rollover demo yesterday for 2 hours (Primrose -> Olberic prologues) and was pretty impressed. Next up is grabbing the merchant girl; however, I'm scared that I only have 1 hour left on the demo and it's 3 whole weeks before this thing drops. :negative:
Don't worry, you can keep playing after the 3 hours. You just need to create a new save file!

The demo is great for trying out the different characters and seeing their motivations. And then agreeing that Tressa is best.