Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
aftertouch is not as useful on a knobby monosynth, though, since you can just play your lefthand controllers or the knobs themselves :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

emoji posted:

Should I buy a Korg Minilogue like right now lol. I've never had any actual hardware before and I went to the synth store a couple hours ago bc it was near an appt. and played with all the synths. And I'm thinking about going back there right now. They also have an Ultranova, and there's also a couple Microbrutes on Craigslist. I want a good keyboard with good action that I can use to put data in a computer that also stands alone sounding good and capable of making a complete idea

The Elektrons were my fav but lol

You're at SwitchedOn in Austin, TX aren't you? I picked my nose and touched that Digitakt.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Funny seeing the rm1x sitting there. I just randomly found mine 2 days ago. Neat machine for its day. Seems so big and heavy compared to the way stuff like that is going now.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Funny seeing the rm1x sitting there. I just randomly found mine 2 days ago. Neat machine for its day. Seems so big and heavy compared to the way stuff like that is going now.

had one, sold it

kept my QY-700

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

stillvisions posted:

If you can find one they're probably cheap now since Mark 1 is history: https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-keys/

They had one of those too, but it was $1300 IIRC

Anyway I got the Minilogue (from a different local vendor that had it NIB as a special bundle with the official soft case + cables for the same price, also the local seller listed it on Amazon so it was essentially free since I had a massive amount of gift credit - I'll pick it up in person tomorrow instead of having it shipped. Sorry SwitchedOn, you cannot compete with free lol. I'll get a Volca or something from you later)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Get a reverb for the minilogue.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

byob historian posted:

channel aftertouch is midi and the opposite of polyphonic aftertouch (all notes on this midi channel get AT on/off)

Ah, yeah my bad, got the terminology mixed up. And yeah, because of MIDI hardly any synths made after it became the standard have poly aftertouch.

I use AT quite a bit; both my fav vst as well as my primary synth I use as a controller use aftertouch for some parameter on pretty much every factory patch*, and it’s always great for adding in extra nuance and movement in a riff or passage.

*(sue me, I just don’t have enough music time in my week to write every patch in every track from scratch, and when I do spend that time, it’s usually making a patch on my modular, not on a vst or va synth - time spent patchin is time that could be spent playin and writin instead)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah nobody cares if you make your patches or not

edit: that sounded way more gruff than anticipated, i just meant not to worry, we've litigated this issue in here before

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

wayfinder posted:

edit: that sounded way more gruff than anticipated, i just meant not to worry, we've litigated this issue in here before

Seriously, if some bearded fart-huffer gives you poo poo for not making your own patches, kick him in the dick.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Oldstench posted:

Seriously, if some bearded fart-huffer gives you poo poo for not making your own patches, kick him in the dick.

Agreed 100%. Lido said it best: “I make music, not sounds”.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wayfinder posted:

Hear hear. It’s always great when you watch an artist talkback about a big successful track or album and they’re all like “I just used this preset/GarageBand loop/thing I found in the studio and slapped a little echo and reverb on it and I thought it sounded pretty dope and started singing some bars over it” and meanwhile all these Gearslutz dipshits are just circle-jerking like “ONLY POSER SCRUBS USe PreSETS! ALWAYS I BUY A SYnth and Wipe IT FiRSt”.

The equivalent in guitar world is the guys (it’s always guys) who spend forever cobbling together pedals and amps and cabinets and changing out pickups in search of “perfect tone” while somebody who plugged an off-the-shelf Telecaster into a Fender amp and called it a day writes a good song and moves on.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Oldstench posted:

fukken a
If presets are good enough for Quincy Motherfucking Jones, dew the math lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Okay so my birthday's coming up in the fall and since my relationship died I gotta get myself something nice. I've had my eye on the new Minibrutes but I can't tell which one is more my speed. On the one hand, the keyboard is immediately useful but some would argue that it's a bit redundant if you've got keyboard controllers and keysteps and poo poo. On the other hand, the S model has a much more robust sequencer but some would argue that it's 1. a hassle to learn 2. less valuable and probably redundant if you have an external sequencer/computer/etc that you control most of your other poo poo with.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Okay so my birthday's coming up in the fall and since my relationship died I gotta get myself something nice. I've had my eye on the new Minibrutes but I can't tell which one is more my speed. On the one hand, the keyboard is immediately useful but some would argue that it's a bit redundant if you've got keyboard controllers and keysteps and poo poo. On the other hand, the S model has a much more robust sequencer but some would argue that it's 1. a hassle to learn 2. less valuable and probably redundant if you have an external sequencer/computer/etc that you control most of your other poo poo with.

I mean a quick deciding factor might be, do you have a KeyStep or BeatStep? If so, probably get the model with whichever you don't have, since the controllers are sort of modified versions of those. Personally I have way too many keyboards as is so the S strikes me as the better bang for the buck, but it's gonna totally depend on what else you're using it with, I suppose

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I put a real DX7 up against DEXED and wow. I’ve never heard any synth before so closely modeled by the soft synth.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I put a real DX7 up against DEXED and wow. I’ve never heard any synth before so closely modeled by the soft synth.

The Arturia DX7 one is closer if you can believe it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZRZfIA8rF4

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Top Hats Monthly posted:

SQ8L and the ESQ1 is up there

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Anyone know any good Virtual approximations of the CS-80? I’m feeling some blade runner vibes.

EDIT: Even better if there's something already in Logic Pro X that approximates it - I've been sifting through, but after the first few hundred I start to glaze over and can't hear the difference between anything.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 23, 2018

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Honestly, you can probably get like 99% of the way to the DX7 with FM8 if you already have that. It even reads the patches.

And there's an Arturia(?) CS-80 that I remember seeing years and years ago, that's supposedly good but at the time was a bit of a cpu hog iirc.

And if you wanna check out whether it's really for you, take this: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=2816. It's dangerous to go alone.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Anyone know any good Virtual approximations of the CS-80? I’m feeling some blade runner vibes.

EDIT: Even better if there's something already in Logic Pro X that approximates it - I've been sifting through, but after the first few hundred I start to glaze over and can't hear the difference between anything.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/cs-80v

this is as close to a 1:1 approximation as you're gonna get.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Top Hats Monthly posted:

As the DX7 was completely digital (before the DACs) it shouldn't come as a shock.

SQ8L is actually better than an SQ-80 IMO.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

wayfinder posted:

Honestly, you can probably get like 99% of the way to the DX7 with FM8 if you already have that. It even reads the patches.

And there's an Arturia(?) CS-80 that I remember seeing years and years ago, that's supposedly good but at the time was a bit of a cpu hog iirc.

And if you wanna check out whether it's really for you, take this: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=2816. It's dangerous to go alone.

This webpage looks awesome, wishing I had a PC to run most of these. I'll check into the Arturia stuff.

EDIT: Went down a rabbit hole most of the day - anyone have experience with Deckard's Dream? Would love to hear about it.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 23, 2018

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hear hear. It’s always great when you watch an artist talkback about a big successful track or album and they’re all like “I just used this preset/GarageBand loop/thing I found in the studio and slapped a little echo and reverb on it and I thought it sounded pretty dope and started singing some bars over it” and meanwhile all these Gearslutz dipshits are just circle-jerking like “ONLY POSER SCRUBS USe PreSETS! ALWAYS I BUY A SYnth and Wipe IT FiRSt”.

The equivalent in guitar world is the guys (it’s always guys) who spend forever cobbling together pedals and amps and cabinets and changing out pickups in search of “perfect tone” while somebody who plugged an off-the-shelf Telecaster into a Fender amp and called it a day writes a good song and moves on.

I listened to this bit on the making of MGMT's "Time To Pretend" for synth talk and laughed hard when it turned out it was mostly tweaked presets in Reason: https://soundcloud.com/hrishihirway/song-exploder-mgmt

I've fallen hard down the soft synths and presets hole right now, mostly because of a lot of gear being in storage. Komplete wonderful and also going to be the death of my hard drive.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
My s-760 just got in (straight from russia) and it's fuckin' DOPE. I have no idea what I'm doing yet but even just poking around at the sample CDs I have has been fun.

How could you not love something that looks like this:

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 23, 2018

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Startyde posted:

fukken a
If presets are good enough for Quincy Motherfucking Jones, dew the maths ol

:thunk: euro . . . presets?!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

H2SO4 posted:

My s-760 just got in (straight from russia) and it's fuckin' DOPE. I have no idea what I'm doing yet but even just poking around at the sample CDs I have has been fun.

How could you not love something that looks like this:

i have an old s10 which is goofy af but sounds fun and has clciky clacky 80s keys. if you got the one that was made to be good instead of cheap, :wow: shd be a lotta fun 👍

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

sliderule posted:

SQ8L is actually better than an SQ-80 IMO.

unless you need that sweet, sweet poly AT, to splice this on a zero-crossing

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

byob historian posted:

i have an old s10 which is goofy af but sounds fun and has clciky clacky 80s keys. if you got the one that was made to be good instead of cheap, :wow: shd be a lotta fun 👍

This one's a rackmount version, so it's bring your own MIDI device and dick around to your heart's content. I've got 5 CDs worth of samples and they're pretty great. Right now I'm just triggering it via my maschine until I decide on a proper MIDI keyboard controller.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

byob historian posted:

unless you need that sweet, sweet poly AT, to splice this on a zero-crossing

I just use my SQ-80 as a controller then :c00lbutt:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Plavski posted:

Get a reverb for the minilogue.

Any recs?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

emoji posted:

Any recs?

bricasti m7

what's your budget

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

emoji posted:

Any recs?

If you got money to burn, get a blue sky pedal. If not, get a zoom ms70 or ms50 if you want cheaper pedals. There are a few other good ones too. Polara etc.

Personally, I've been running my stuff through my DAW and using the Valhalla reverbs which are fantastic.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
My pedal setup for my minilogue is below and it works great:

Bass Big Muff
Boss Super Chorus CH-1
Boss RV-6

The Big Muff adds some nice low end grit for basslines, where the chorus and reverb make a huge difference for chords, pads, and leads.

I like the Boss Reverb because for the price, you get a lot of different reverb options like, plate, spring, hall, modulate, room, dynamic, delay, and a really cool shimmer effect.

But if you have any reverb plugins, I would try using those first before spending money on a pedal. I just liked having a physical reverb pedal to fiddle with and I also use it with my electric guitar.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Valhalla stuff is amazing. Any recommendations for controlling it with an iPad?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

magiccarpet posted:

Valhalla stuff is amazing. Any recommendations for controlling it with an iPad?

https://liine.net/de/products/lemur/

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lemur is indeed an assload of fun. Also good if you like making blinky lights of your own.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Behringer keeps being a dick and threatening to sue people for saying their products are knockoffs. Weird poo poo

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Deluge Firmware 2.0 released: http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/1107/deluge-firmware-v2-0-0-released

quote:

Huge new features:

-- Song arranger mode
-- 30 - 50% or more improvement to CPU efficiency (i.e. more voices)
-- Around 30x more RAM available for working on a song
-- New analog-modelling synth engine features
-- Effect tails may now be heard even after a track finishes playing (including outside of the new arranger mode)
-- MIDI CC, pitch bend, and channel aftertouch recording, sequencing and output
-- MIDI note outputs within kits
-- Note velocity now defaults to that of last touched note (per track)
-- Innumerable other bugfixes and improvements

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I'm about to cancel my neutron pre-order and make my wife mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Cross-posting from the Hip-Hop thread in NMD. The Making Hip-Hop thread is dead so I thought this might be the next best place to post some of my music in ML

I started adding instrumental beats I am making to a playlist on SoundCloud. It is all sample-based hip-hop and has an old school boom-bap vibe with some modern touches. Sample sources include a lot of 60's-70's funk/soul/jazz but also some Japanese music, Psych Rock, and soundtracks. They are all over the place in terms of being completed, some have most of the mixing done, while others are just 8 bar loops I started working on. I know I have a long way to go but I am having a ton of fun and have gotten some decent responsesfrom people I have shared it with. If you do get a chance to check them out, would certainly appreciate any feedback and if you have any questions about the production, please ask!

https://soundcloud.com/bradley-freeman-3/sets/bradwise-beat-series