Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mercury Ballistic posted:

About 7 months ago a young man in the DC area was rear ended by an Uber. He drove off, the cops were called and he ran and ended up shot in the head by two park policemen who chased him. I live about a mile from where the chase ended, so I have been following this close.

There are a lot of questions about the circumstances despite there being dashcam footage by a Fairfax Cop who was following. The kid was of Iranian descent, but was born and raised in the area and well liked with no record.

The case has been a bit of a pet project by the Washington Post and the FBI has been handling the investigation.

Today, 7 months later the scene was packed with cops and FBI recreating the events with a stand in car and lots of yarn tracing bullet trajectories. Apparently they were clearing brushbas well looking for a possible tossed object.

Still no word on what happened, but the case is definitely odd.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ge-killing-him/

https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2018/06/7-months-later-investigators-to-return-to-site-of-park-police-killing/

i dont really see whats so weird about this. the kid panicked and drove off, then ran from the cops, gets pulled and runs away twice, then gets pulled over again and starts to drive forward while the cop is coming around the front of the vehicle. the cop shoots him a bunch of times until he dies. whether or not that's a justified shooting seems to be a fair question, but there's not much that seems odd about the case overall. there was weed in his system, so he might have been high, too, which would explain why he drove off in the first place.

chernobyl kinsman has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LeJackal posted:

He's not a psychopath, obviously.

Now you say that, but...

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Now you say that, but...

You accidentally deleted the part where you contributed something of value.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LeJackal posted:

My mistake, this guy is totally mentally healthy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Stdh.txt

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Weirdly I don't think that's how two year olds on a playground work.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I hope this guy isn't a writer because lmao that's dire. Reads like it was typed by someone who'd unironically use the term 'crotchspawn'

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I hope this guy isn't a writer because lmao that's dire. Reads like it was typed by someone who'd unironically use the term 'crotchspawn'

He's a best-selling author. Somehow.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I envy you so much for not knowing about trash Kermit the Fraud.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeJackal posted:

He's provided just about as much of value in that post as Jordan Peterson has in his career.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Daddy-O.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't read the citation and laughed so hard when another reply mentioned it was JBP. That text fit in here perfectly

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Only a true brain genius fantasizes about murdering children at the playground.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Only a true brain genius fantasizes about murdering children at the playground.

Not murder, just throw thirty feet. The maximum number of feet before it becomes a crime to throw a child.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sure he can throw a child 30 feet, but can he throw a 90 kg stone over 300 meters?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How many "stone" does a 90kg stone weigh?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Solice Kirsk posted:

How many "stone" does a 90kg stone weigh?

One, obviously

joxxuh
May 20, 2011

Those two year olds are exceptionally athletic for their age

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Throwing a 2 year old that hard would probably kill them, right?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

joxxuh posted:

Those two year olds are exceptionally athletic for their age

Well they do a lot of mental gymnastics in his head all day.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

Children are surprisingly durable

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Humans are simultaneously incredibly resilient and hilariously fragile.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobby Digital posted:

Humans are simultaneously incredibly resilient and hilariously fragile.

It's sort of a crap shoot, we're stupidly robust under some circumstances, and then in others, human fell down go bye-bye :ohdear:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Freudian posted:

He's a best-selling author. Somehow.

(he's a nazi)

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I thought this article might be of interest to people ITT:

"When a cold case is solved, why can’t internet sleuths move on? Redditors and forum users invest time trying to solve incidents involving total strangers, only to be left hanging when their research pays off"

https://theoutline.com/post/4994/when-a-cold-case-is-solved-why-cant-internet-sleuths-move-on

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PetraCore posted:

Yeah JP would probably throw his arm out so bad he’d give himself a heart attack, then blame the weakening of the American male archetype.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Maybe it’s because I’m not British, but that airing cupboard story baffles me:

How did the lock disintegrate?
How could she rip a pipe out, but not bust through a simple closet lock?
How did she die from hypothermia in a heated closet?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

Maybe it’s because I’m not British, but that airing cupboard story baffles me:

How did the lock disintegrate?
How could she rip a pipe out, but not bust through a simple closet lock?
How did she die from hypothermia in a heated closet?

our 80 degrees is only like 26 degrees to a brit. bbrrrr.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Caganer posted:

"When a cold case is solved, why can’t internet sleuths move on? Redditors and forum users invest time trying to solve incidents involving total strangers, only to be left hanging when their research pays off"

https://theoutline.com/post/4994/when-a-cold-case-is-solved-why-cant-internet-sleuths-move-on

Thanks for this, it's really interesting. I think I posted here when Lyle Stevik's family were finally found earlier this year. I get that the people who spent so much time investigating feel connected to the case, but it's solved, and his family have no interest in publicising it, and no one but his family should ever feel entitled to knowing anything. I'm glad his family know what happened to him.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Dewgy posted:

Yeah JP would probably throw his arm out so bad he’d give himself a heart attack, then blame the weakening of the American male archetype.

Isn't he Canadian?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Caganer posted:

Interesting website but I think I'm blind from that goddamned color scheme.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
There's an entire Wikipedia category for "unidentified murder victims" and it's all weird as hell

eating only apples posted:

Thanks for this, it's really interesting. I think I posted here when Lyle Stevik's family were finally found earlier this year. I get that the people who spent so much time investigating feel connected to the case, but it's solved, and his family have no interest in publicising it, and no one but his family should ever feel entitled to knowing anything. I'm glad his family know what happened to him.

his family don't want their names in google because they gave zero fucks about their son so he died without a missing person report :)

i don't really care about their feelings, and i think the public has a right to know

edit: This list is also creepy as hell.

Caganer has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Jun 24, 2018

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I would very much like to know Lyle Stevik's story. He always stuck with me. He pops into my head often

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Caganer posted:

his family don't want their names in google because they gave zero fucks about their son so he died without a missing person report :)

Genuinely asking, do you know this for a fact, or just speculating?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Whitlam posted:

Genuinely asking, do you know this for a fact, or just speculating?

Read the Wikipedia page + sources for yourself:

quote:

In 2018, DNA analysis performed by the "DNA Doe Project", lead by two genetic genealogists Colleen M. Fitzpatrick and Margaret Press, linked the unidentified man to individuals living in New Mexico and Idaho.[7]

It was announced by the Grays Harbor Sheriff's Office on May 8, 2018, that Lyle Stevik had been identified through DNA analysis and comparison with genetic relatives performed by the "DNA Doe Project".[5][2] He was from Alameda County, California and was 25 years old at the time of death. The Grays Harbor County Sheriff's Office notified the man's family, who had believed him to be alive and assumed the man did not want to associate with his family. His family had a set of his fingerprints that were taken in grade school, as part of a children's identification program. The Sheriff's Department compared those prints with the postmortem prints taken in 2001, and made a positive identification. His family has chosen not to identify him publicly.

If you are taking the typical Reddit POV that because I don't have a mind reading device I'm :airquote: just speculating:airquote: feel free, that's your right.

But I think if you read between the lines "LOL poo poo, our son has been dead for years and we never even filed a missing person's report! Don't tell people who we are zomg, this is like, SO embarrassing!" is pretty likely scenario.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
My complete speculation is that his family threw him out or cut ties because he came out to them as gay, and they're either rightly ashamed of that or worried about what people might think.

This complete speculation is based almost entirely on him having chosen an alias from a Joyce Carol Oates novel.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I figure they don't want to be known publicly because the reason he broke off all contact with the family is something embarrassing, and as famous as this case is, there's no way it wouldn't come out and be plastered all over the internet for all time.

The first place my mind goes is that his parents were abusive and he broke off contact because of that. Not all abuse is physical or would leave evidence that could be found at autopsy.

Obviously, it doesn't have to be so terrible, it could just be a family where he was not close with anyone beyond parents and siblings (if any) and they had all passed away. Plenty of people have cousins, aunts/uncles, neices/nephews that they never see. If I was in such a situation and the cops told me that a relative I last saw a couple decades before was Lyle Stevik, I sure as hell wouldn't want that being public, because it's only a matter of time before internet obsessives start a harrassment campaign to prove whatever crazy theory they have.

Edit:

AlbieQuirky posted:

My complete speculation is that his family threw him out or cut ties because he came out to them as gay, and they're either rightly ashamed of that or worried about what people might think.

This complete speculation is based almost entirely on him having chosen an alias from a Joyce Carol Oates novel.

This is also disturbingly plausible.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

quote:

Johnson admitted to Boggs that he decapitated his mother using a butterknife, his teeth and bare hands.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/06/22/son-decapitated-mother-using-butterknife-deputy-testifies/727553002/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There was a story recently out of Kissimmee where the headline was “Florida man decapitates victim with vacuum”.

What actually happened was he beat the guy to death in a parking lot, then kept coming back with various objects and smashing the corpse’s head until it was just a smear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

AlbieQuirky posted:

Isn't he Canadian?

Sure but Canada ain’t where the money comes from.