Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
My pediatrician was a very heavy smoker, even as a child I would notice how much he coughed during examinations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Len posted:

I will never understand how smoking is not okay to advertise on TV and billboards but hard liquor is perfectly acceptable

Cigarette companies made the error of trying to market to kids and got smacked for it. Meanwhile, the alcohol industry has been self-regulating since the 40s (at least regarding advertising) and generally do a decent job of it, so broadcasters are more willing to cut them slack.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ryonguy posted:

Smoking is a the limpdick pussy drug for tryhards. It doesn't even get you high or hosed up; ooooh my mouth tingles a little, look out cocaine and whiskey you got some stiff competition! It's the trenchcoat and writing gently caress on your school bathroom wall version of dope. You want to look cool because smoking makes you look cool because people who look cool smoke. And then there's vaping:

The sooner it gets banned and nobody thinks about tobacco ever again the better. "Uh bluh prohibition doesn't work :smug:" Who the gently caress would bother with a drug that doesn't get you high even from the start?

why is every single post you make like this

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dixville posted:

If you're talking about edibles it's more like "1/16th of a square" ;)

Honestly my dad started smoking at like 13 years old which would have been 1963. When I was a kid I asked him why he wouldn't quit if it could cause cancer and he said it was "like an old friend to him." He has cut way back on smoking when he used to be a pack a day plus smoker but I doubt he will ever quit. His mom smoked and died from some lung disease, probably cancer. I was too young to understand what was going on at the time and haven't asked since. It really is kinda hosed up and I'm glad I never had any desire to try cigarettes (partly because of watching my dad age prematurely and cough all the time)

Yeah you could definitely say smoking did not age well

You're more likely to get more heavily addicted if you start smoking as a teenager. The tobacco industry basically knew that forever which was part of why there was heavy advertising toward children. That's also why it's meant to look like a cool, familiar, common thing so you start before your brain understands that surface appearance isn't everything and long term consequences are a thing that exists. The industry also knew how god awful it is for you for basically ever but suppressed that as hard as they could.

As to why people do it, well...it might not come with a high but it has a stimulant effect, especially if you use tobacco with caffeine, and also tastes really good. Nicotine is also as addictive as heroin so it's hard to quit. It also doesn't kill you right away; takes decades. It also isn't even guaranteed to kill you so it's pretty easy to spend years in the trap of "gently caress, I'll quit when..." or "I'll cut back next year."

Banning it would be a terrible idea. For better or for worse prohibition doesn't work and as we've seen the war on drugs did gently caress all to actually stop drug use.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I'm pretty sure my dad has undiagnosed ADHD and self medicates with caffeine and nicotine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dixville posted:

I'm pretty sure my dad has undiagnosed ADHD and self medicates with caffeine and nicotine.

That's very common, actually. I forget the exact number but I read that something like 2/3 of people with ADHD smoke. So when somebody says "it helps me concentrate" they may very well be right.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's very common, actually. I forget the exact number but I read that something like 2/3 of people with ADHD smoke. So when somebody says "it helps me concentrate" they may very well be right.

Possibly. I think it also has to do with feeling like you need to keep busy with something or fidget, it gives you something to do with your hands. Gives you an excuse to leave boring situations. It makes sense.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

We need to encourage more elderly to smoke in order to save social security

Way ahead of you.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2001/07/18/news/tobacco-giants-analysis-says-premature-deaths-cut-costs-in-pensions-and.html

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You're more likely to get more heavily addicted if you start smoking as a teenager. The tobacco industry basically knew that forever which was part of why there was heavy advertising toward children. That's also why it's meant to look like a cool, familiar, common thing so you start before your brain understands that surface appearance isn't everything and long term consequences are a thing that exists. The industry also knew how god awful it is for you for basically ever but suppressed that as hard as they could.

As to why people do it, well...it might not come with a high but it has a stimulant effect, especially if you use tobacco with caffeine, and also tastes really good. Nicotine is also as addictive as heroin so it's hard to quit. It also doesn't kill you right away; takes decades. It also isn't even guaranteed to kill you so it's pretty easy to spend years in the trap of "gently caress, I'll quit when..." or "I'll cut back next year."

Banning it would be a terrible idea. For better or for worse prohibition doesn't work and as we've seen the war on drugs did gently caress all to actually stop drug use.

Yeah it's totally a drug on the same level of narcotics, totally gonna have people having shoot-outs over tobacco territory. lmfao that people actually believe this. Oh no you won't be able to look cool hanging around at the 7-11 hoping teenagers will ask you to buy you beer for them anymore or skipping out on work twice an hour to smoke.

Alaois posted:

I'm low on nicotine so I have to passive-aggressively lash out at people making fun of me for having been a teenager too stupid to not start smoking. No, wait. That's the crybabies upset somebody thinks their habit is for white trash morons.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Dixville posted:

It can also act as an anti depressant/mood stabiliser. I started when I first started manifesting the symptoms and was self medicating, and when I was in control I stopped. Brain got worse, so did my smoking

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't know if I have that, but I do this with water. When I feel I'm trailing off and unfocusing from whatever lecture I should be paying attention to, I chug a bit from my bottle.

That ends up being around 2L of water for 3 or 4 hours of lecturing but I guess the effect is the opposite of smoking?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ryonguy posted:

Yeah it's totally a drug on the same level of narcotics, totally gonna have people having shoot-outs over tobacco territory. lmfao that people actually believe this. Oh no you won't be able to look cool hanging around at the 7-11 hoping teenagers will ask you to buy you beer for them anymore or skipping out on work twice an hour to smoke.

To be frank I have a feeling that the legality and widespread availability of cigs is why this is currently a non-issue

Nicotine addiction is loving nasty as hell to deal with and if you make tobacco illegal it'll probably create those issues, because getting a nicotine fix will suddenly be much more involved than "just go to the gas station and get a pack of Camels" and realistically speaking people aren't going to quit solely because of that

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Nicotine addiction is loving nasty as hell to deal with and if you make tobacco illegal it'll ...
... really boost sales of nicotine gum and patches.

You probably meant "if you make nicotine illegal".

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Saying "lol tobacco doesn't even get you high or hosed up" is the weirdest gooniest thing, I have not seen such a stupid loving post in months if not years

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

roomforthetuna posted:

... really boost sales of nicotine gum and patches.

You probably meant "if you make nicotine illegal".

Legally those are still tobacco products, afaik

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also nicotine absolutely gives me a buzz, it kind of feels like being couchlocked from weed but way shorter-lasting and a little milder

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

To gently re-rail the thread, and combine smoking, doctors, and get us back on tv in one go:

I haven't watched it since it aired, but didn't the doctor on the BSG reboot smoke all the time? I always found that odd, for both "caring too much about the 'sci' in 'sci-fi'" and "holy poo poo, is that someone smoking on tv? I haven't seen that since the X-Files" reasons.

On that note, I'd be curious to rewatch and see how BSG holds up. I know it went batshit off the rails, but it still kept me hooked every week. I wonder if it's one of those shows where binging is a help or a harm.

(As an aside, I miss the avatar here on SA that was Tigh smoking a joint and the text was "Colonel Tigh more like Colonel High amirite" or somesuch)

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Jun 23, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

i only smoke when i drink and im always drinking

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

JacquelineDempsey posted:

On that note, I'd be curious to rewatch and see how BSG holds up. I know it went batshit off the rails, but it still kept me hooked every week. I wonder if it's one of those shows where binging is a help or a harm.
It mostly holds up. Granted it has rough patches like when the network wanted to make it more serial in season three with some dud episodes and the occasionally dropped subplots (Baltar's cult was supposed to do more).

The show creators flat out admitted the Cylons didn't have a plan. And I think they were running into corners trying to tie up the mystical vs science elements that got a bit loopy in execution.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's funny in retrospect how hard the producers pitched the show as "no no this isn't Star Trek we're not running away from our consequences on THIS show!!" and then turned around and used magical baby blood to cure cancer so they could keep one of the characters around rather than having her actually succumb as planned

or had a character literally commit treason by thwarting a plan to hit the Cylons and then suffer absolutely no consequences for it whatsoever

or the time when they had a cliffhanger at the end of one episode where the cranky old cylon says "pfffft, gently caress it, let 'em nuke the magic map to earth. we're fuckin' immortal robots, we can spend the next ten thousand years just checking every star system one by one, who cares" and then the opening of the next episode has him practically wringing his hands and saying "poo poo, this is too important, we should back off..."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm pretty sure once the government banned them from advertising on TV their profits skyrocketed because no one quit and they weren't paying gigantic sums for marketing. Smoking is cool and addictive. It will never stop being a thing.

It's not cool anymore, smoking is what your gross and dorky parents and old derelicts do now.

IIRC, the Cigarette Smoking Man eventually clearly had cancer and a tracheotomy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You mean the character? Because William Davis didn't smoke tobacco cigarettes on the show instead they used an "herbal" variety.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

WebDog posted:

It mostly holds up. Granted it has rough patches like when the network wanted to make it more serial in season three with some dud episodes and the occasionally dropped subplots (Baltar's cult was supposed to do more).

The show creators flat out admitted the Cylons didn't have a plan. And I think they were running into corners trying to tie up the mystical vs science elements that got a bit loopy in execution.

Yeah, the :airquote: Cylons :airquote: didn't have a plan.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I swear cigarette companies used to pay film companies to show as many characters smoking as possible. They're paying for it now with how much smoking is censored and stigmatised on television.

Everyone used to smoke all the time regardless of location and occupation. People smoked on airplanes, in movie theaters, in hospitals, at church, you name it.

I was going through some old family albums and there were several pictures of people holding babies while smoking.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Jun 24, 2018

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, the :airquote: Cylons :airquote: didn't have a plan.
Ahah that too. Not denying the show slid off the rails and then tried to awkwardly explain everything in "The Plan".
I think Sci-Fi (or SyFy) had the idea they were onto a new franchise that kinda flamed out once Caprica sort of fell flat.

BogDew has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Jun 24, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Media from the 80s looked back to the 40s and 50s and especially "noir" (an imagined memory of the imaginary category "noir") a lot which is why there's a lot of smoking. Plus people were in fact actually smoking at the time.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Media from the 80s looked back to the 40s and 50s and especially "noir" (an imagined memory of the imaginary category "noir") a lot which is why there's a lot of smoking. Plus people were in fact actually smoking at the time.

I remember the late 80s on and people smoked everywhere. I remember the outrage at smoking being outlawed in restaurants and bars in what, the early 2000s? People didn't smoke in stores or theaters and stuff that I remember where I grew up anyway. But I can remember my music teacher in high school would keep a pack of smokes in his front pocket all throughout the school day. I also remember my mom being pissed when the school started telling people they couldn't even smoke in their cars on school grounds. People smoked around kids and babies, I think my mom smoked all through her pregnancy actually, and while it was known to be bad, it wasn't considered as bad as it is today by the general public. Like, I'm sure at least some people were judging her for it, but I doubt it was near as bad as it would be for a pregnant woman smoking in public today.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ryonguy posted:

I'm low on nicotine so I have to passive-aggressively lash out at people making fun of me for having been a teenager too stupid to not start smoking. No, wait. That's the crybabies upset somebody thinks their habit is for white trash morons.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

To be frank I have a feeling that the legality and widespread availability of cigs is why this is currently a non-issue

Nicotine addiction is loving nasty as hell to deal with and if you make tobacco illegal it'll probably create those issues, because getting a nicotine fix will suddenly be much more involved than "just go to the gas station and get a pack of Camels" and realistically speaking people aren't going to quit solely because of that

I do wonder if he has a point though. If banned, eventually all the people that got addicted to legal nicotine will in the long term get over it or die out. Since nicotine's effects are subtle at best, will new users seek it out? Alcohol, pot, opiates, cocaine etc at least have a very obvious effect that's valuable to people.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Araenna posted:

I remember the late 80s on and people smoked everywhere. I remember the outrage at smoking being outlawed in restaurants and bars in what, the early 2000s? People didn't smoke in stores or theaters and stuff that I remember where I grew up anyway. But I can remember my music teacher in high school would keep a pack of smokes in his front pocket all throughout the school day. I also remember my mom being pissed when the school started telling people they couldn't even smoke in their cars on school grounds. People smoked around kids and babies, I think my mom smoked all through her pregnancy actually, and while it was known to be bad, it wasn't considered as bad as it is today by the general public. Like, I'm sure at least some people were judging her for it, but I doubt it was near as bad as it would be for a pregnant woman smoking in public today.

It was so prevalent that we didn’t even know how badly it smelled. Like I went through high school always having strangers hit me up for cigarettes and never knew why until, oh yeah - I smell like smoke because my parents are loving chimneys.

The past stunk. Mad Men was just toasted tobacco and pit stains 24/7.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ryonguy posted:

Canada has actually had gang wars between biker groups over black market taxless smokes, so yes, in fact, shootouts and bombings have occurred over tobacco.

A retired WWE wrestler was actually executed at home for his role in being a courier for one of those gangs in an area that belonged to rival group. Cafes have been bombed over it. It's huge business.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Jun 24, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
When I quit smoking, one of the biggest changes I noticed was how much better my sense of smell was. And how bad some smokers smell, holy poo poo. Especially if they have a jacket they wear when they go out to smoke, that thing loving reeks. It's such a horrible thing and I can't believe I never noticed it before. If I'm around my mother when she's smoking, the smell can start to give me a headache.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leavemywife posted:

When I quit smoking, one of the biggest changes I noticed was how much better my sense of smell was. And how bad some smokers smell, holy poo poo. Especially if they have a jacket they wear when they go out to smoke, that thing loving reeks. It's such a horrible thing and I can't believe I never noticed it before. If I'm around my mother when she's smoking, the smell can start to give me a headache.

Sometimes I think someone's smoking on the bus, and no, it's just that the smoke has ingrained itself in their loving jacket.

Smoking can't die off fast enough.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's an episode of MacGyver where MacGyver has to break up a counterfeit baseball memorabilia ring. There's a bit where he goes to a baseball shop in disguise pretending to be a whiny rich kid (note: Richard Dean Anderson was 40 when this episode was made) and sneers, "I wanna buy cards. Lots of 'em!" like they're crack, then he says to the clerk, "If you can find every card on my list within 60 seconds after I read 'em out, I'll give you a $1,000 bonus!" and the guy says, "That's impossible! MacGyver's reply: "Not with computers it's not!"

I feel like this has not aged well, but I'm not familiar with baseball card rackets circa 1991; regardless, it's still a weird episode for a show where the main character had previously fought the KGB, organised crime, banana republic governments and drug cartels.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like this has not aged well, but I'm not familiar with baseball card rackets circa 1991; regardless, it's still a weird episode for a show where the main character had previously fought the KGB, organised crime, banana republic governments and drug cartels.
The descent into catching petty criminals the police should be dealing with is a frustrating trait of serial villain-fighting-team shows. I especially hate it with shows like Leverage or the A-Team, where the premise is originally some variant of "we fight the crimes that are above the law, that nobody else will fight".

That said, I can totally see how it's hard to come up with enough variety to make a fun show otherwise. Police corruption and politicians are pretty same-same.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Equalizer had the advantage that low-level street crime was the norm so deviations where the CIA gets McCall to come back and help them with some spy stuff felt a bit more special.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Equalizer had the advantage that low-level street crime was the norm so deviations where the CIA gets McCall to come back and help them with some spy stuff felt a bit more special.
Yeah, it never bothered me with the Equalizer.

The worst thing with Leverage was that they started doing not just anti-crime stuff but like doing work directly for the government to stop 'enemy' spies, without ever even thinking about "wait, maybe the people we're working for are the bad guys here. We've worked against them a lot in the past."

Which was the other thing about the Equalizer, he didn't just go "yeah okay I'll do your spy poo poo because you asked, government", he generally demanded it be justified first, and insisted the job be done to his satisfaction not theirs.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Araenna posted:

I remember the late 80s on and people smoked everywhere.

There's a bit on the commentary for Ghostbusters where (I think) Ivan Reitman mentions how much people smoke, especially the protagonists apart from Egon, the nerd.

He goes on to say how he can't remember any smoking in Ghostbusters 2, and Harold Ramis remarks "it was 1989, everyone was on ecstasy instead"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

roomforthetuna posted:

Which was the other thing about the Equalizer, he didn't just go "yeah okay I'll do your spy poo poo because you asked, government", he generally demanded it be justified first, and insisted the job be done to his satisfaction not theirs.

Come to think of it, The Equalizer was probably as critical of American intelligence in general and the CIA in particular as you could get on a mainstream network show at the height of the Reagan era. Which is surprising enough in its own right, because one of the main writers was the guy who later created 24 (Joel Surnow), who I'm given to understand is very right-wing.

Though I think when it was at the top of its game, MacGyver was the best action-adventure show of the decade - I like it better than The A-Team, at least. You could do loads of stuff with MacGyver; there are lots of stories you could put him in and he wouldn't be out of place, much like Indiana Jones.

I haven't seen the new series, though my dad likes it. I've heard he doesn't actually do a whole lot of MacGyvering in it.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Krispy Wafer posted:

It was so prevalent that we didn’t even know how badly it smelled. Like I went through high school always having strangers hit me up for cigarettes and never knew why until, oh yeah - I smell like smoke because my parents are loving chimneys.

The past stunk. Mad Men was just toasted tobacco and pit stains 24/7.

I remember that as well. Had no idea until kids started accusing me of smoking. I think most other kids didn't realize either because most parents that I knew smoked.