Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Cojawfee posted:

So, GTA San Andreas.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Also I think the city in GTA4 is underrated because the GPS shunts you into the same like 8 roads if you're just doing the story. Turn that poo poo off and explore and you end up finding a lot of weird wacky areas, and they're all very detailed.

Also I think the cop system in GTA is the bigger sin than the bad shooting. The whole schtick of being chased by the cops and military should have at least half the attention that the city gets since that's the main action driver going on outside of the (generally lovely) missions, but it seems like it's really undercooked. It encourages un-fun solutions and choices for getting away, hiding isn't fun, getting shot through a window isn't fun, getting PIT maneuvered isn't fun.

Chinatown wars at least sort of tried to mix it up by designing the chases around forcing cops into running into things.

The whole game would be ten times as fun if they just had some people sit down and really work on the cop AI without the goal of making them formidable, but to make them SEEM formidable while actually being drivers of procedural situations and action.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 22, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I just bought GTA 5 for the fourth time (360, ps4, PC, and now xboxox). Looks like rear end on xbox but I still like the game and it was on mega-sale for the first time ever. Never did try that last heist.

It's giving me cheevos despite completing the 360 version. That's interesting.

Not being able to transfer characters anymore is painful though :(

Pretty sure GTA5 has a separate list of trophies/cheevos between current gen and last gen.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just bought GTA 5 for the fourth time (360, ps4, PC, and now xboxox). Looks like rear end on xbox but I still like the game and it was on mega-sale for the first time ever. Never did try that last heist.

It's giving me cheevos despite completing the 360 version. That's interesting.

Not being able to transfer characters anymore is painful though :(

I keep buggin my Xbros to maybe try putting down PUBG and us going ham on some GTAVO.

I only logged in the other day to get the free $250k but I forgot how much fun it is. That is to say, once you're actually able to get all your friends into the same lobby.

I haven't tried any of the zany modes they added in. Also, it would be rad if it got an X patch but I know with RDR2 coming out that's a lost cause.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

univbee posted:

Pretty sure GTA5 has a separate list of trophies/cheevos between current gen and last gen.

Is that standard for cross-gen games?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

Is that standard for cross-gen games?

I'm pretty sure just about every game is this way on 360 and Xbox One. It's definitely that way with a lot of PS3 and PS4 retail-level cross-gen games but there are exceptions where the game shares a trophy list instead, IIRC Destiny is this way, maybe on 360/One as well in fact.

There are also weird titles like I think The Witcher 3's trophies/achievements are different from those of The Witcher 3's GOTY edition and I'm pretty sure some broke-brained cheevo chasers have double-dipped on some games that do this for this reason.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 22, 2018

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Empress Brosephine posted:

A bad GTA is still ten times better than the best Saints Row

It takes skill to have an opinion this bad.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I've bounced hard off of every Saints Row I played.

About as hard as I bounced off of that super hero game they released and I bought for $8.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Saints Row 2 >>> GTA > the other Saints Rows

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
if SR2 had fixed driving and that button that makes you do wrestling moves on all the civilians (and tbh I can't remember if it does but I'm pretty sure that was a SR3 addition) it'd be a better game than GTA4.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Imagine how frustrating it must be to be someone working at R*, getting into street fights in Saints Row that turn into what's basically a pretty decent 3rd person action brawler with damage that only becomes a real danger when things get truly out of hand and being like "hey maybe we could do something like this?" and a Houser tut tuts you and says no, we need our cops to be a smothering source of punishment for doing anything fun for more than 30 seconds who put you down immediately for doing anything other than standing on top of a building. It fits better with our aesthetic.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

univbee posted:

Interesting. What about RDR back compatible? Probably not eh. Haven't got around to a second run on that, and now have to wait until August to play on a 21st century tv.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Interesting. What about RDR back compatible? Probably not eh. Haven't got around to a second run on that, and now have to wait until August to play on a 21st century tv.

The backwards compatible games are just straight-running the 360 versions and will have the same achievements, saves etc. as the 360 version.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

GTA lost its way when it stopped being a cartoon

Strong agree.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I had a job interview with Rockstar North in 2008 and they asked what I thought of GTAIV and I said I missed the wackiness of San Andreas and the multiplayer was a bit like Kane and Lynch but with worse controls. Didn’t get that job :/

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The MP free-roam was actually the hidden gem of GTA4 imo. The way they scattered weapons and decent vehicles around was more fun, having two people's police chases interact with eachother made those a little better, and iirc you would end up spawning in different places after dying rather than the same 3 hospitals every time.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Lots of wrong opinions in here, the Xbox One thread.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was also great because you could grab the tug, hit land, and then force everyone's game to run at 3fps.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

GTAIV was a tyre fire of a game with a driving model worse than the average PS2 racer.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
GTA IV was one of the few games at the time that actually benefitted from >2 cores and boy did that gently caress with some people when the PC version came out

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Mung Dynasty posted:

Lots of wrong opinions in here, the Xbox One thread.

new thread title

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TheScott2K posted:

GTA IV was one of the few games at the time that actually benefitted from >2 cores and boy did that gently caress with some people when the PC version came out

It's me, the guy who had a Core 2 Duo E8400 angry that my computer wouldn't run the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Saints row in general, but especially 2 has aged really poorly.

Not even a big GTA fan or a fan of contemporary open worlds all together but at least GTA 5 has a pretty incredible map to play around in.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sleeping Dogs is the best GTA game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

It's me, the guy who had a Core 2 Duo E8400 angry that my computer wouldn't run the game.

I was so happy with my E8400 build, and then that motherfucker came out.

When you turn the game down to 640x480 and it runs no better, well, that makes you question everything you thought you knew.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lambert posted:

Lego City Undercover is the best GTA game

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Lego City Undercover is the best GTA game

Lego City Undercover is so god drat boring to actually play

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I can’t quote any line from GTA 3/4/5 but drat if “compooter” doesn’t pop into my brain once a year

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Gts iv is way better than gta v

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lambert posted:

Sleeping Dogs is the best game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lambert posted:

:yeah:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lambert posted:

Remember the mission where the guy told his girlfriend that real men couldn't sing, so he asked you to bomb at karaoke in front of her?

Sleeping Dogs was fun.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I picked up Kingdom Come: Deliverance today now that several big patches have been released (and it's cheap) and have been very happy with stability/graphics so far on X. Basically no jank and looks good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Excited about the Xbox Live Gold games for July. I love Virtua Fighter V.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Excited about the Xbox Live Gold games for July. I love Virtua Fighter V.
Yeah it looks like a great month to me, but if you read the Twitter replies they’re all losing their minds saying it’s the worst month ever and I don’t get it; almost no mentions of VF5. Like do you not know VF?!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Virtua Fighter has been niche as hell forever, to be fair. The last VF that got big was 3 on the Dreamcast, for a very given definition of "big."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I already have it on PS4, but Assault Android Cactus is really fun.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
It's a fine month. Haven't played a fighting game in like 15 years, but at least it's not SMITE lmao

I think maybe Games With Gold and Game Pass might be at odds with each other now, though. They should eliminate (or at least significantly reduce) the XBL fees and then use Game Pass as the subscription service.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mung Dynasty posted:

It's a fine month. Haven't played a fighting game in like 15 years, but at least it's not SMITE lmao

I think maybe Games With Gold and Game Pass might be at odds with each other now, though. They should eliminate (or at least significantly reduce) the XBL fees and then use Game Pass as the subscription service.

They make mo money making online focused games and they trying to upsell you gold when you get gamepass and then get paywalled trying to play multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real hurthling! posted:

They make mo money making online focused games and they trying to upsell you gold when you get gamepass and then get paywalled trying to play multiplayer

Not sure the "I am too poor to afford Gold but will buy Gamepass" demographic is very big. I would think it's only people who hate multiplayer, and then it's a non-issue (not excusing MS's milking).