Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I don't know why I find this so amazing. Maybe it's the way that poor kei car just bounces and nearly topples over backwards before landing back on its wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

STR posted:

I see that poo poo ALL THE TIME driving on I-35 between DFW and Austin, also every time I'm on I-10 west of Midland. Generally all 3 have some degree of accident damage, I've always assumed they were auction cars headed toward Mexico to begin a new life.

Yeah that’s exactly what happened here: Ram looked to be in good condition, and the Altima and Hyundai had some mild body damage in the way of messed up plastic and bumpers.

If I was driving anything back to Mexico I’d sure as hell not start by buying a car in Northwestern GA because that’s a long-rear end trip any way you slice it.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Traffic came to a standstill as local authorities reacted to a flipped car. There was a charger or challenger, one of those ugly rear end cars, in front of me. As we get past and traffic clears, he just sort of chills in the right lane so I figure "hey, he's just chilling, that's fine, gonna pass ya now bud" and as soon as I put the hammer down and go to pass he loving stomps on it and moves over so I can't get in front of him. Mind you, there's rain and we just saw a loving flipped car so I just let him do his thing. I guess he took the mighty roar of my V-TEC kicking in as a personal challenge. Passed by him a little later and gave him the Wank Wank gesture.

Not 2 minutes later I go to pass a guy and have to swerve back over as some rear end in a top hat in a newer Acura passed someone on the right (middle of 3 lanes) at like 95. Pennsylvania is trying to kill me.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The charger and challenger both look the best from the rear. :confused:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
hahaha

they're not even that bad, just invariably owned by the douchiest folks around.

also I forgot the prius weaving in and out of lanes with a noisy wobbling rear left wheel that seemed ready to separate from the vehicle

Brolander fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 24, 2018

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Brolander posted:

they're not even that bad, just invariably owned by the douchiest folks around.

As a Charger owner, yup.
https://jalopnik.com/the-dodge-charger-scat-pack-brought-out-my-inner-asshol-1785639957

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DODGE CHARGER. THE OFFICIAL CAR OF MY DAD'S A COP

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Who's at fault when a dude pulls out into traffic and gets hit by someone in the left lane who makes an unsignaled turn, pretty much simultaneously? 50/50? A headache for their insurance to figure out? Didn't end up being an accident, but it looked too close for comfort.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://img.fae.ro/a0ba68.webm

:discourse:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

loving beautiful

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Everyone hates cyclists, even other cyclists. This is just further proof.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
But I'm a cyclist, it means I don't have to obey petty things like traffic laws :smuggo:

* crashes into law-abiding cyclists *

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can’t get this to work on my phone to save my life

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

PT6A posted:

But I'm a cyclist, it means I don't have to obey petty things like traffic laws :smuggo:

It's crazy how between your first line and your second, law-abiding cyclists simply popped into existence

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I can’t get this to work on my phone to save my life

It's VP8, so the phone probably doesn't natively understand it.

You could open it with VLC.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

wayfinder posted:

It's crazy how between your first line and your second, law-abiding cyclists simply popped into existence

The existence of rule-breaking, ultra-entitled cyclists does not negate the fact that many cyclists behave responsibly and in compliance with the law.

I think all pedestrians, cyclists and motorists who obey the law have a right to be pissed off at the subset of cyclists who think they can simply do whatever they like.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'm usually more pissed off at the people who think it's about the same level of shittiness to run a red light on a bicycle vs. in a car

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

wayfinder posted:

I'm usually more pissed off at the people who think it's about the same level of shittiness to run a red light on a bicycle vs. in a car

What the gently caress? Pedestrians have been killed by bicycles running red lights, it's the same level of shitiness.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wayfinder posted:

It's exactly as lovely hth

e: maybe even more so because the bonehead rear end in a top hat mentality of "if there's nobody coming in any direction I can just ignore this red light" would be unthinkable to all but the douchiest car drivers.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
As a normal human being who rides a bike for fun and utility, ~cyclists~ ruin everything. The spandex chodelords will still obstruct a 45 mph road six feet away from the dedicated bike path we just spent $millions on because it's slightly less than perfect. It's like the perfect ad for "never budget another dime for bike paths ever" while we're trying to fund an extension to the thing to fix the several miles where the "bike lane" is six inches of gravel shoulder along a highway.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Javid posted:

As a normal human being who rides a bike for fun and utility, ~cyclists~ ruin everything. The spandex chodelords will still obstruct a 45 mph road six feet away from the dedicated bike path we just spent $millions on because it's slightly less than perfect. It's like the perfect ad for "never budget another dime for bike paths ever" while we're trying to fund an extension to the thing to fix the several miles where the "bike lane" is six inches of gravel shoulder along a highway.

similarly my town has essentially a separate jogging lane on the sidewalk (it's brick-paved instead of concrete blocks and is overall much more even than the actual sidewalk) and people still go jogging in the road, in the same direction as traffic.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I'm not going to generalize cyclists, it's more the human fault of "my convenience is more important that anyone else's", with a dash of "if I'm not caught the law doesn't matter"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fo3 posted:

I'm not going to generalize cyclists, it's more the human fault of "my convenience is more important that anyone else's", with a dash of "if I'm not caught the law doesn't matter"

Plus a heaping portion of "well everyone else is doing it this way so obviously it's okay so I shall do it too."

It really needs some consistent enforcement to breed the entitlement out of cyclists. Too bad police departments don't care or can't afford to actually make their presence felt.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Fo3 posted:

What the gently caress? Pedestrians have been killed by bicycles running red lights, it's the same level of shitiness.

How many

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

It's exactly as lovely hth

e: maybe even more so because the bonehead rear end in a top hat mentality of "if there's nobody coming in any direction I can just ignore this red light" would be unthinkable to all but the douchiest car drivers.

I can cycle the light in my car but not on my bike. No problem running reds in that case.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Define "ignore"; if a light is red for no goddamn reason and there's nobody else around, I'm not going to blast through it without stopping, but I'm not sitting there while it cycles through some timed sequence with no relation to reality, either.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PT6A posted:

I always wonder what people behind me think when I'm on my bike and I'm a. using hand signals, and b. obeying stop signs and lights. I'll treat some stop signs as yields (as in I'll slow, but roll through if no one is there, like everyone else does in their cars), but never stop lights.

Idiots like that make me sad.

The reality though it's this:

PT6A posted:

The existence of rule-breaking, ultra-entitled cyclists does not negate the fact that many cyclists behave responsibly and in compliance with the law.

I think all pedestrians, cyclists and motorists who obey the law have a right to be pissed off at the subset of cyclists who think they can simply do whatever they like.

Also, sub out "car drivers" when we whine about dickheads on the road.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 25, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Javid posted:

Define "ignore"; if a light is red for no goddamn reason and there's nobody else around, I'm not going to blast through it without stopping, but I'm not sitting there while it cycles through some timed sequence with no relation to reality, either.

The lights around me aren’t on timers, so if you’re coming from a side road you’ll be there seemingly forever. I’m not waiting. I’ll slow down, make sure it’s clear about 5 times then roll through.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know some areas (for example, Illinois outside of several defined counties, aka Chicagoland) allow motorcycles to run a red light if the motorcycle does not trip the sensor, effectively allowing them to treat it as a stop sign. Today I had to pull into a crosswalk to allow a car behind me to trip it, and it was definitely not one of those roads where blowing the red would be a smart idea.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How many people dying is a small enough number for you to think it's okay?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
what

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cakesmith handyman posted:

How many people dying is a small enough number for you to think it's okay?

I think they were asking for citations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Speaking of running reds, got a call from my much younger brother in the subject. He was driving to Chicago for some kinda Con a few months back and saw so many people turning left on red he wanted me to look up whether it was legal up there.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drat, lotta people are ok with running reds in a car as long as they check, I guess.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I can cycle the light in my car but not on my bike. No problem running reds in that case.

what

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

iospace posted:

I think they were asking for citations.

no, i was trying to lead them to the insight that the disparity in death count is a good sign that the two things are not, in fact, "same level of shittiness"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wayfinder posted:

no, i was trying to lead them to the insight that the disparity in death count is a good sign that the two things are not, in fact, "same level of shittiness"

I'm pretty sure "number of deaths" doesn't magically create degrees of law breaking. It's a vehicle not coming to a complete and full stop for the duration of the red light.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
No, you're wrong.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

wayfinder posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

sleepy.eyes posted:

Speaking of running reds, got a call from my much younger brother in the subject. He was driving to Chicago for some kinda Con a few months back and saw so many people turning left on red he wanted me to look up whether it was legal up there.

There's lots of one-way streets in Chicago, and left on red from a one-way to another one-way is perfectly legal. Unless he wasn't talking about one-ways, in which case I can't say I've seen people run more reds in Chicago than anywhere else.