Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what annoys me about Bayonetta is all the medals you miss because there was a fight way back in the level you had to backtrack for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what annoys me about Bayonetta is all the medals you miss because there was a fight way back in the level you had to backtrack for

same but also Alfheims figuring into your rank

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I’m ok with that stuff but what drives me insane is when the game saves before giving you your score and medal for a fight. It doesn’t always do it but you’d better believe it’s saving when you don’t get pure platinum because you took 5 seconds too long

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Imagine having these opinions

I didn't think anything could be dumber than that article that compared the Devil May Cry series to Dark Souls, but here we are.

chumbler posted:

Yeah you really don't need dodge offsetting in Bayonetta for it to not take forty years. Bayo in general is a lot more forgiving than DMC, and 2 more so, due to witch time and a more intuitive by being a dedicated button and mobile dodge than jumping. I like DMC4 and all, but it has a lot of jankiness by comparison and is much readier to kick your teeth in in general.

I beat both Bayonetta games without even knowing about dodge offset until I started watching combo videos.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The QTEs are an unfair annoyance the first time, but just sorta there all the times after. The real kickers are the super long bike and Space Harrier sequences which should both have been cut down to a third of the time, honestly - everytime it just kills my motivation.

After the talk of this "V" character being able to summon psuedo stands, I dug out my copy of the not-quite-DMC-clone Chaos Legion.

The concept of having something similar to Chaos Legion's legion system, but with superior DMC-style combat seems pretty tasty. Also the music is still pretty good.

It's very stiff gameplay-wise, and you're limited to only two legion types (of seven) at a time. Although it does have a nice feeling when you summon 6 swordsmen, or bouncers to stab/elbow-charge through enemies. And then you get Thanatos - which is basically Dio Brando's The World (complete with Za Warudo!).

[e]: Actually, here's a video of some of the neat stuff the legions can do from an LP that was on here - at one point, (2:36) one of them stops and then flips a dude with a giant sword. It's an utter cacophony of background noise, enemy grunts and legion SFX.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 22, 2018

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I played DMC3 with only trickster as a kid because it was too hard otherwise.

Dodge offset is overrated for casuals. They can just doge and continue mashing because the dodge is very forgiving.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

JT Smiley posted:

I didn't think anything could be dumber than that article that compared the Devil May Cry series to Dark Souls, but here we are.
The opinion of an electric (in every sense of the word) guitar that shoots bats and turns into an axe being lame is eerily similar to one of Dante being a gay cowboy (or gay cowboys not being awesome). I'm suspicious of this article's (and writer's) integrity.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I want a remake of rising zan but zan is gay and has a guitar

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is the difference between dmc4 and dmc4se just the characters? I already played 4 on consoles but want to get it on pc. I heard the original 4 is broken on pc or something?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ulio posted:

Is the difference between dmc4 and dmc4se just the characters? I already played 4 on consoles but want to get it on pc. I heard the original 4 is broken on pc or something?

DMC3 has the busted-rear end PC port. If anything, the first DMC4 PC port was one of the best PC ports of the time, along with RE5.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Ulio posted:

The original 4 is fine on PC; it's 3 that was originally a complete mess.

On PC, DMC4 and SE are the same, save for the new characters. If you're on console though, they added the LDK difficulty (which adds a fuckton of enemies to every encounter) and the turbo mode.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ulio posted:

dmc4se is slightly flashier than the original with some extra graphical effects tossed in, otherwise yeah it's the same game but you have more characters. there's no real reason not to buy it over the original because nero and dante's game is effectively the same and og dmc4 doesn't get discounted anymore anyway.

dmc3 is the one where the original pc port is completely broken, but the hd collection port released this year is pretty much perfect

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Pesky Splinter posted:

The QTEs are an unfair annoyance the first time, but just sorta there all the times after. The real kickers are the super long bike and Space Harrier sequences which should both have been cut down to a third of the time, honestly - everytime it just kills my motivation.

After the talk of this "V" character being able to summon psuedo stands, I dug out my copy of the not-quite-DMC-clone Chaos Legion.

The concept of having something similar to Chaos Legion's legion system, but with superior DMC-style combat seems pretty tasty. Also the music is still pretty good.

It's very stiff gameplay-wise, and you're limited to only two legion types (of seven) at a time. Although it does have a nice feeling when you summon 6 swordsmen, or bouncers to stab/elbow-charge through enemies. And then you get Thanatos - which is basically Dio Brando's The World (complete with Za Warudo!).

[e]: Actually, here's a video of some of the neat stuff the legions can do from an LP that was on here - at one point, (2:36) one of them stops and then flips a dude with a giant sword. It's an utter cacophony of background noise, enemy grunts and legion SFX.

I love Chaos Legion. I'd be down to put on my legionator hat again if they want to put that kind of gameplay into the game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All of these thoughts runnin’ through my head
Arm on fire, veins burnin’ red
Frustration is gettin’ bigger
Bang Bang Bang – Pull my Devil Trigger

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

DMC3 has the busted-rear end PC port. If anything, the first DMC4 PC port was one of the best PC ports of the time, along with RE5.

Oh my bad. Ya I mixed up those two. I guess I will get SE since it has more characters even though I will mostly play Nero/Dante.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ulio posted:

Oh my bad. Ya I mixed up those two. I guess I will get SE since it has more characters even though I will mostly play Nero/Dante.

at least give vergil a shot once you beat nero and dante's story, he has the most unique playstyle of the added characters

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

DMC4SE also has a couple quality of life changes, like increased increased proud soul drop rate so you can max out your skills in one playthrough, and being able to run immediately instead of having to go straight for ten seconds for running to kick in.

The latter basically makes it impossible to go back to base DMC4 for me.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I started my path to beat all the style action games that I deem worthy. I beat Bayonetta 1 a couple days ago and it was awesome. I started 2 and it is much easier so far but that makes me feel good since I can get pure platinums on some of the verses now.

I beat DMC1 when it was a new thing, but also started going through that. Dante feels like a Monster Hunter character somewhere between a switch axe and sns. I did not remember him being like that it's so weird.

Please wish me luck on my journey no I'm not going to skip DMC2.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DMC2 is bad but it's still a servicable game imo. And it's short esp if you say gently caress it to playing it again as Lucia.

I mean you get to fight a skyscraper and tanks and I still dig the poo poo out of that even if the game blows

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It says something when I'd rather play DmC than DMC2 again. I almost want Itsuno to remake it so it's a proper DMC game and not some weird elephant in the room we try to ignore.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
unlike DmC, i don't hate every part of dmc2's aesthetic, but it's just not very interesting

like it would be fine if just, basic comboing felt good at all, but it just kind of doesn't

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DMC2 is really, really terrible because it has some just extremely uninspired palette and level design and enemies have no tells so every fight feels like you're playing a guessing game with the AI script.

The list of good things in DMC2 are; all the tiny things they stole for the subsequent games and turned into full mechanics like gunslinger tricks, that cutscene with Dante's double sided coin preventing the villain from getting immortality, the concept of customization of the Devil Trigger, triple jump.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
DMC2 is bad, but it's better when you can unlock Trish...who plays like DMC1 Dante, who actually has a variety of moves and Ifrit's base move set, and several moves that DMC2 Dante lacks.

It's absolutely boggling, and just another chip on the pile of DMC2's baffling design choices.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

DEVIL MAY CRY 5 DEVELOPMENT IS 75 PERCENT DONE

Capcom's Devil May Cry 5 is supposed to release by March 31, and if its development progress to date is anything to go by, its chances of meeting that timeline are high. WCCF Tech reports that Capcom informed Japan's Famitsu magazine that the action game's development is already 75 percent done.

In the same interview, Capcom also stated that protagonists Nero and Dante will square off against their strongest foe yet in Devil May Cry 5. The story will center on "something mysterious" happening in the demon world, with Nero on a quest to recover something (someone) that (or whom) he's lost.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/22/devil-may-cry-5-development-is-75-percent-done

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Japanese developers' obsession with talking about development in percentages will never cease to be hilarious to me.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bough the HD trilogy on the summer sale and boy is DMC 1 hard as gently caress compared to 4, mostly due to the old rear end controls and terrible camera.

I died so many times to the spider :downs:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol if you think phantom is hard and haven't even reached nightmare

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
it took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure out how to beat Shadows without getting owned

to be fair DMC1 was only the second game in this sub-genre that I'd seriously played (the first being Revengeance) but still

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Colonel posted:

at least give vergil a shot once you beat nero and dante's story, he has the most unique playstyle of the added characters

I remember being hyped to play Vergil in DMC3SE but he was very simple compared to Dante imo. I never finished it with Vergil but he was fun for a few hours.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ulio posted:

I remember being hyped to play Vergil in DMC3SE but he was very simple compared to Dante imo. I never finished it with Vergil but he was fun for a few hours.

dmc4se vergil plays different from how he did in dmc3

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

DMC4SE Vergil has a special meter that powers up his attacks that you increase by walking menacingly towards enemies. It owns.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Basically you get rewarded for RPing Vergil properly. It's kind of a stroke of genius.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

DMC4SE Vergil has a special meter that powers up his attacks that you increase by walking menacingly towards enemies. It owns.

The Colonel posted:

dmc4se vergil plays different from how he did in dmc3

K that sounds cool as hell. The 3 Vergil was way too basic.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah it owns cause you get rewarded for playing like a cool anime rear end in a top hat

Goddamn what the actual gently caress is this

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Imagine having these opinions

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Why do people like him play games

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
How does he not just stick to mobile games and stay there? Like, there's a lot less buttons to push and thus he wins quicker.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well, that does explain why "Cinematic Experiences" are all the rage right now.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Also for the people who want a lil perspective on DMC2 and how amazing in so many ways that game is here's some info. DMC2 was my first DMC game so it will always be special to me and I can't hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RBX posted:

Also for the people who want a lil perspective on DMC2 and how amazing in so many ways that game is here's some info. DMC2 was my first DMC game so it will always be special to me and I can't hate it.

Oh I respect DMC 2 for being as good as it was. But I'm still trying to play it at the moment and have done nothing but press square and maybe occasionally triangle so far and haven't been hit by enemies yet. I'm falling asleep here.