Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i was convinced for awhille that oda was leaving content out of op not just for pacing but for the anime to fill in. i guess it never happened, oh well wh ocaares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lpzie posted:

i was convinced for awhille that oda was leaving content out of op not just for pacing but for the anime to fill in. i guess it never happened, oh well wh ocaares

He does and he doesn't, like he specifically cuts poo poo a bunch to tighten up his own story and make it move faster (oh boy can you imagine if he didn't...), but he also gives a whole bunch of notes and expanded details to the anime team so if they wanted to they could include those bits he cut, which would be amazing but they never actually use them for anything worthwhile.

This is probably one of those things that you could blame one of the shareholder companies for, as including content that doesn't appear in the manga would look bad for Shueisha who would rather their product (the manga) be considered the definitive version. So they make the executive decision on whether or not any additional story details are included in the anime, which also means the anime team needs to wait on that decision and thus have a smaller timeframe to work on that additional material the longer it takes to get the okay. So it'll look sloppy and the dialogue will be rear end and viewers will wonder why they even bothered, or they get the no and now have to fill that time with something else, most likely another long set of dead air reaction shots as they don't have the time to come up with anything better. A real damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

The important thing to take away is that Oda isn't an executive on the anime, he gives them notes and background details but otherwise is uninvolved, so the people who are in charge will be less likely to care about the quality and more likely to care about recouping the costs of production. Their priorities are to themselves.

Julias posted:

Also nice Av

thanks it was a gift

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Ducked up if true

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Case in point the last couple episodes are embarrassingly awful. I must have skipped through at least a third of both.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I find the anime is at it's best when you skip through the last 3-400 hours of it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This might have been different early on though (at the very least, I thought I heard somewhere that Oda had direct involvement in one of the early anime filler arcs but I could be wrong).

Honestly, I'd rather they went back to doing actual filler arcs and expanding on the manga a little more instead of the current set up (which I believe started around Enies Lobby). Kind of like the Naruto anime did which, aside from a massive amount of filler, I actually thought was better than the manga in most aspects.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 24, 2018

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I want an entire episode of Zoro lifting weights.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Larryb posted:

This might have been different early on though (at the very least, I thought I heard somewhere that Oda had direct involvement in one of the early anime filler arcs but I could be wrong).

Honestly, I'd rather they went back to doing actual filler arcs and expanding on the manga a little more instead of the current set up (which I believe started around Enies Lobby). Kind of like the Naruto anime did which, aside from a massive amount of filler, I actually thought was better than the manga in most aspects.
Filler killed the Naruto and Bleach animes to most people and apparently, the only alternative is to do one chapter = one episode

Instead of taking a couple months off, restarting the anime back when they reach the New World and giving the manga a bunch of time to shoot forward again.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

RealFoxy posted:

Filler killed the Naruto and Bleach animes to most people and apparently, the only alternative is to do one chapter = one episode
Kinda have to disagree here, what killed them was the source material being boring and tedious in the case of Bleach, and just being an off the rails stupid mess in the case of Naruto. If anything, Bleach anime filler was superior to the manga by a significant margin. But Naruto filler eventually turned into this hell of alternate timelines that kept beating the dead horse of Naruto's impossibly bad childhood over and over again.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I still do a double take every time I remember that Bleach was once popular enough to have an anime, filler material and movies.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I still do a double take every time I remember that Bleach was once popular enough to have an anime, filler material and movies.

Early bleach is good as heck, and while the shine had definitely worn off by the time it should have ended it was still a decent Shonen fight manga

It just, you know, should have ended with Ichigo losing his powers to absolutely shithouse aizen

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Bleach used to be more popular in America than One Piece. Hard to say about Naruto, because every weeb had a Naruto headband at the mall but I remember watching the Anime all the way up through the Rescue arc and it was a blast.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Being more popular in America than the One Piece anime is a pretty low bar, to be fair.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Bleach was popular enough to have several live stage shows.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Bleach as much as the next man. It's just impressive how it managed to flush all good will down the toilet until no-one involved could be bothered supporting it as a property.

Like no-one is considering a Bleach Super or a Bleach Kai, or even a Bleach GT. No-one who ever profited from the series gives two shits about it anymore. It's an impressive fall.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn't the Bleach anime actually get cancelled before the manga finished? Or was it more like the original FMA anime where they made a conscious choice to abandon the manga storyline and go off in their own direction towards the end?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Larryb posted:

Didn't the Bleach anime actually get cancelled before the manga finished? Or was it more like the original FMA anime where they made a conscious choice to abandon the manga storyline and go off in their own direction towards the end?

The former.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Naruto had the dumbest/best filler episode of a group of shadow clones forming a union and demanding rights.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ChaseSP posted:

Naruto had the dumbest/best filler episode of a group of shadow clones forming a union and demanding rights.

This is what filler should be like. Or the strawhat theater eps where they play as a mafia family. Nobody can get bad at a lovely storyline if youre tellin jokes

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Nothing can ever beat Naruto in how awful the filler was. Over eighty straight episodes of filler in the original show.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
All I remember off the top of my head about the Naruto filler is something about pee.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

This is what filler should be like. Or the strawhat theater eps where they play as a mafia family. Nobody can get bad at a lovely storyline if youre tellin jokes

Hell, I'd even take a return to the Boss Luffy alternate reality at this point. But yeah, filler episodes where they just completely take the piss and don't try to make any kind of real story out of them (which is why the episode of DBZ where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive is still probably the best filler ever created).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Larryb posted:

At this point I'd even take a return to the Boss Luffy alternate reality at some point. But yeah, filler episodes where they just completely take the piss and don't try to make any kind of real story out of them (which is why the episode of DBZ where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive is still probably the best filler ever created).

Excuse you that is not the baseball episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Excuse you that is not the baseball episode.

That one's up there too. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the last pure filler arc the One Piece anime has done recently was the tie in to Film Gold a while back.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 24, 2018

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

TheLoneStar posted:

Nothing can ever beat Naruto in how awful the filler was. Over eighty straight episodes of filler in the original show.

It's a weak defense but at least the Naruto filler was all at the end of the show in a big lump so you could just stop watching/go to Shippuden. Bleach has one of the most wild filler arc placements I've ever seen, Ichigo begins to fight the big bad of all of Bleach's first like 5 arcs, they cross swords and the episode ends. Next episode a filler arc starts.

And this is like maybe 20 episodes removed from a short filler arc inserted into the arc.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

They should just rerun Navarone between arcs and pretend it’s new

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Bleach as much as the next man. It's just impressive how it managed to flush all good will down the toilet until no-one involved could be bothered supporting it as a property.

Like no-one is considering a Bleach Super or a Bleach Kai, or even a Bleach GT. No-one who ever profited from the series gives two shits about it anymore. It's an impressive fall.

Joke's on you, there's a live-action Bleach movie set to be released this year.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I wish we knew all the behind the scenes stuff with Bleach, because it really did seem like Kubo had all these interesting things and dangling plotlines held up that all just got dropped at once because he was told to just wrap it up. Chapters were stretching what should have been two page to a whole week's worth of content and fights that should have just been three weeks long lasted months for no particular reason, then the interesting things were all just happening off-screen

I think the biggest reason why is that the world was too claustrophobic for their massive cast of side-characters. One Piece easily introduces up to 20 characters in a single arc but they stop being as relevant afterwards where in Bleach, the characters really didn't have anywhere to go because there was effectively only four sets in the entire manga and all 60+ characters had no reason to be anywhere else since the world was so small.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

I wish we knew all the behind the scenes stuff with Bleach, because it really did seem like Kubo had all these interesting things and dangling plotlines held up that all just got dropped at once because he was told to just wrap it up. Chapters were stretching what should have been two page to a whole week's worth of content and fights that should have just been three weeks long lasted months for no particular reason, then the interesting things were all just happening off-screen

I think the biggest reason why is that the world was too claustrophobic for their massive cast of side-characters. One Piece easily introduces up to 20 characters in a single arc but they stop being as relevant afterwards where in Bleach, the characters really didn't have anywhere to go because there was effectively only four sets in the entire manga and all 60+ characters had no reason to be anywhere else since the world was so small.

Hell, if I remember right the Bleach anime even not only introduced some of it's own characters but actually tried cramming them into canon story arcs, causing things to be even more cluttered In my opinion Bleach peaked around the Soul Society arc early on, began to gradually nosedive after that, and never really recovered from it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 24, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Meme Emulator posted:

give me an Ember Island Players episode of One Piece

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

Hell, if I remember right the Bleach anime even not only introduced some of it's own characters but actually tried cramming them into canon story arcs, causing things to be even more cluttered In my opinion Bleach peaked around the Soul Society arc early on, began to gradually nosedive after that, and never really recovered from it.

yeah the side characters in the bount arc got put in the real arcs lol

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Larryb posted:

That one's up there too. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the last pure filler arc the One Piece anime has done recently was the tie in to Film Gold a while back.

Are you honestly trying to claim that you don't remember All-Hunt Grount, one of the most exciting and well-written One Piece characters in the series so far?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tolth posted:

Are you honestly trying to claim that you don't remember All-Hunt Grount, one of the most exciting and well-written One Piece characters in the series so far?

Ah yes, I forgot about that one. Nevermind then. At any rate, if they're not gonna do filler anymore they should at least make another movie at some point or something as they generally tend to do better with those than with the actual anime.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I vaguely remember an interview with Kubo where he said something along the lines of "Whenever I can't think of what to do next in the story I just create a bunch of new characters."

Boy would that explain a lot.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Onmi posted:

Bleach was popular enough to have several live stage shows.

That's not really a huge indicator. Practically everything gets a stage show at this point.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

EGSunBro posted:

It's a weak defense but at least the Naruto filler was all at the end of the show in a big lump so you could just stop watching/go to Shippuden. Bleach has one of the most wild filler arc placements I've ever seen, Ichigo begins to fight the big bad of all of Bleach's first like 5 arcs, they cross swords and the episode ends. Next episode a filler arc starts.

And this is like maybe 20 episodes removed from a short filler arc inserted into the arc.
I mean I guess that's true, but there was also a poo poo-ton of filler in Shippuden. According to the Anime Filler List sight, a whopping 45% of Shippuden is made up of filler.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I wonder what we will learn this week about Gol Ym (or red haired Ym)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Shanks being a secret bad guy would be a disappointing bummer I think

A few pages ago, but I don't think that's the case. At least, given the reaction of the five elders at their surprise that he showed up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alacron posted:

I vaguely remember an interview with Kubo where he said something along the lines of "Whenever I can't think of what to do next in the story I just create a bunch of new characters."

Boy would that explain a lot.

Wasn't that the author of the To aru series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Early bleach is good as heck, and while the shine had definitely worn off by the time it should have ended it was still a decent Shonen fight manga

It just, you know, should have ended with Ichigo losing his powers to absolutely shithouse aizen

Yeah that was exactly the perfect place for Bleach to end. Strangely enough if you go by the post-manga novels, Kubo did put some thought into the history and backstory of everything but I don't know why he didn't or couldn't put it into the manga.