Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

eat it, you textureless palate havers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I hate all of you

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's no juice-tice in the world :smith:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lol that vote, not surprised.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:woomy:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat my childish but nonetheless correct tastebuds!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Finally, I'm a part of something greater than myself.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Clearly the extra nutrition from the pulp enabled them to go the extra mile :smuggo:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I mean, this is going to sound way saltier than I actually am but this splat fest feels like it should of been a draw. When the popularity vote is that blown out either way it feels kind of unfair given one team is stuck doing mirrors all day and can't actually contribute.

If it wasn't such a disgusting blowout on votes I'd feel better about it but eh. Whatevs. Just glad most of the world isn't broke brained about juice :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

*washes down my mayo sandwich with a delicious glass of extra Pulp OJ in front of a crowd of my haters*

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I mean, this is going to sound way saltier than I actually am but this splat fest feels like it should of been a draw. When the popularity vote is that blown out either way it feels kind of unfair given one team is stuck doing mirrors all day and can't actually contribute.

If it wasn't such a disgusting blowout on votes I'd feel better about it but eh. Whatevs. Just glad most of the world isn't broke brained about juice :)

On one hand, that's loser talk. Rules is rules.

But for real, the fact that mirror matches don't give any points kind of skews things. In this case, it (very roughly) means that half the non pulpists are spinning their wheels when trying to play.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

On the other hand of mirror matches counted whoever won the popular vote would win everything every time

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I mean a splatfest ending in a draw would be pretty whatever but I feel like if there's a total 10-15% difference the popular vote should just get a +1 automatically or something.

I would of honestly been saying this even if my team won (I mean, I have in the past).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I don't know what I was expecting. I can't believe the heathens won.

Harrow posted:

Is the Tri-Slosher still good? I know it was OP as hell for a while but I just unlocked it and I'm trying not to spend all my money buying every weapon ever and not being able to afford sweet clothes

Very much so. It's no longer top dog (That spot would belong to all the Rapid Blasters and their Pro versions, and the Tetra Dualies because they destroy the former), but it's still a very solid weapon.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
A tie is a good way to generate heat for impromptu rematch splatfests.

In Training posted:

On the other hand of mirror matches counted whoever won the popular vote would win everything every time

That's true. Almost like its hard to design a hybrid democracy + meritocracy system.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was actually a little surprised that popularity factored in at all. This was my first Splatfest and I figured the winner would just be decided straight-up by which side won more matches.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm surprised the match percentages were that close, no-pulpers were getting completely pulped when i was playing

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Popularity is more of a tiebreaker. The real factors are the solo and team wins.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Another orange troll wins in spite of the popular vote :argh:.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm sorry, everyone: I'm the guy who doesn't like Splatoon single-player

I'm really trying to enjoy Octo Canyon but I'm in the last world and these platforming-focused stages are loving hell. I can't stand this one bit. I feel like I'm obligated to finish this at this point but this one stage with the slosher and the moving platforms is making me want to give up on video games forever. You need to make so many jumps in squid form and the movement is so slippery that I can't picture a human being who would enjoy this

It's me, the grown-up who can't handle a kid's game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's a good splatformer. Octo expansion is better though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is Octo Expansion harder when it comes to platforming? Because I really want to play as an octoling but I am so bad at squid-form platforming that if it's any tougher than Octo Canyon I should probably pass for the sake of my own sanity

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is Octo Expansion harder when it comes to platforming? Because I really want to play as an octoling but I am so bad at squid-form platforming that if it's any tougher than Octo Canyon I should probably pass for the sake of my own sanity

i'm about halfway through the expansion but it's been more challenging in pretty much every other way so far

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Octo Expansion is harder but you can skip any number of levels and still unlock playable Octolings, so you can just avoid the hard platforming stages if you want.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dad Jokes posted:

eat it, you textureless palate havers

But I just wanted to drink it :mad:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

There are a decent number of platforming levels yeah, including ones with time limits and ones where you are not allowed to touch enemy ink.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Octo Expansion has less obnoxious platforming and more interesting combat design than the main single player campaign. It’s a much more polished experience.

Also, re: Splatfest results, boooooooooo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

repiv posted:

Octo Expansion is harder but you can skip any number of levels and still unlock playable Octolings, so you can just avoid the hard platforming stages if you want.

Oh cool, that's nice. Is there like a minimum number of levels in each zone that you need to do in order to progress or something?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Harrow posted:

Oh cool, that's nice. Is there like a minimum number of levels in each zone that you need to do in order to progress or something?

Nope, you could just skip right to the end of the campaign if you wanted. All you'd be missing out on is special gear.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

I was actually a little surprised that popularity factored in at all. This was my first Splatfest and I figured the winner would just be decided straight-up by which side won more matches.

back in my day (splatoon 1 launch) popularity was basically the only thing that mattered at all

and boy did it suck

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

Popularity is more of a tiebreaker. The real factors are the solo and team wins.

But popularity factors into solo and team wins so it's a dumb tiebreaker, imo.

Another hot opinion: Having two different battle stats is dumb. There was one splatfest—scifi/fantasy?—where (iirc) my team lost popularity, won solo by a decent margin, and...... lost team battles, barely.

yeah, the only negative word I know is "dumb" and that 4 sea snails' difference between winning and losing is, yes, the absolute end of the world

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Last splatfest whine— playing turf war against a person with literally 2730 hours in this game is not fun (because I am not nearly that good)

...is it true that blocking players doesn't prevent matchmaking with them? I was under the impression that it did. Of course, I am a stoic, well-adjusted adult, so I have never blocked anyone, ever. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kaubocks posted:

back in my day (splatoon 1 launch) popularity was basically the only thing that mattered at all

and boy did it suck

Its still that way, just reversed.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

they could factor in best splatfest art from each side based the most fresh-votes, if they want to mix up having two different battle stats, since solo/team battles rarely diverge

I have no idea how you'd balance it to prevent vote stuffing, but that's why I'm not a game designer

or maybe best salmon runners? it'd be cool for that to count towards splatfest

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/Todd_Spengo/status/1010968680891494401?s=19

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Dad Jokes posted:

they could factor in best splatfest art from each side based the most fresh-votes, if they want to mix up having two different battle stats, since solo/team battles rarely diverge

I have no idea how you'd balance it to prevent vote stuffing, but that's why I'm not a game designer

or maybe best salmon runners? it'd be cool for that to count towards splatfest

team with fewest disconnects

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m not the biggest fan of competitive games but I bought Splatoon 2 on the recent sale and holy poo poo am I having a good time. I’m terrible and currently only rank 9 and even though I’m on the losing team most turf wars I can’t stop hitting the button to play another round.

Also I’m bad at aiming and I don’t use motion controls but I’m even bad at aiming with KB + mouse so using the roller weapon is my jam.

For gear, do I just buy whatever looks cool and use slugs to get whatever skills I want on them?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Gyro controls give you a lot more control over your aim, so they're generally the recommended control scheme. Though it's possible to do well without them. Heck, there are Splat Charger/Splatterscope players in competitive that uses sticks only.

Interview about how Switch Online could affect the playerbase. No more single player expansions are planned. Paid multiplayer related content isn't out of the question, apparently.

Judging by the constant Octoling only games I keep getting into, I think the player base will be just fine after paying only $20 (or less with group buys) a year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does the Switch have a full statistics section where you can see time played per month etc like the U had?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No sadly. Just that Profile screen that seems to update on a whim.