Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Looking forward to hearing the self-styled Bernie fans who are also way more radical than him try to square that circle.

Although I wish they could just collectively declare that they were merely inspired by him and untether themselves from him as an individual.

we know he's a left liberal he's just the least worst option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/WinWithJMC/status/1010125496724672512

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Broke: Harris 2020

Woke: Bernie 2020

Bespoke: Premier of the United Peoples Republic of America Peter Dauo 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Looking forward to hearing the self-styled Bernie fans who are also way more radical than him try to square that circle.

Although I wish they could just collectively declare that they were merely inspired by him and untether themselves from him as an individual.

He's the best dem but still a dem. He was never going to abolish ICE or the police. Bernie fans still need to detangle from him because he is flat out too old to build a sustaining movement around.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/IPM_Prime/status/1006320581757816832?s=19

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The year is 2018: Bernie is bad and Daou is good

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gumball Gumption posted:

He's the best dem but still a dem. He was never going to abolish ICE or the police. Bernie fans still need to detangle from him because he is flat out too old to build a sustaining movement around.

He's not a Dem, and what makes him better than, say, Jeff Merkley?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No one knows who the gently caress Jeff Merkley is.

People know who Bernie is and what his general message is. That's important.

and also

Finicums Wake posted:

we know he's a left liberal he's just the least worst option

find me a more pure leftist willing to run for President and I'll happily get behind them

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The only people I've ever seen who try to make hay of Bernie's declining to take official membership in the party have been Hillbots

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

im obsessive about politics and i have no clue who that nerd is so lol at getting him elected

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bernie........ face me in the arena. Coward

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
He didn't say no, but he didn't say yes.
It's only a hard no if you believe abolishing the current incarnation of ICE is irrational, or if you believe he believes such a thing.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

oh hes the dude from oregon who endorsed bernie. well thats nice

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

etalian posted:

Treating MAGA chuds with kid gloves just so they can claim the "moral" decorum high ground.

It's awesome that the moral high ground is treating nazis kindly.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

oh hes the dude from oregon who endorsed bernie. well thats nice

He's also been pretty active in trying to blow the lid off the ICE baby drug camps and is gaining a lot of national profile because of it

My issue with him is aside from his policies he's pretty boring and he isn't nearly half as vocal as Bernie is. I want a firebrand, not someone who looks like he got lost on the way from the 2004 Dem primary

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Any berntard wanna step up to the plate itt? I'm feeling mad and frisky

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

im obsessive about politics and i have no clue who that nerd is so lol at getting him elected

One of the first Senators to actually try and use their privileges to gain access to an immigrant internment camp.

SKULL.GIF posted:

He's also been pretty active in trying to blow the lid off the ICE baby drug camps and is gaining a lot of national profile because of it

My issue with him is aside from his policies he's pretty boring and he isn't nearly half as vocal as Bernie is. I want a firebrand, not someone who looks like he got lost on the way from the 2004 Dem primary

Fine, how about Cynthia Nixon, then? She actually does want to abolish ICE, is a firebarnd, and is probably going to be free for 2020 because the NY Dem Machine is never going to let her beat Cuomo.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im berntarded for bernie

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Twitter 2020

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Daou taking so long to come around I think was partially his belief that the Democrats would rise up and do something about it.. any... day... now...

And now we're a year and a half into TRUMP and the Democrats still haven't done loving poo poo and are actively blocking candidates who want to do poo poo about it. At some point people are gonna wake up. Many people realized it right away on 11/9, others took weeks or months to come around.

i voted hillary in 2016 because I feared that if Bernie won, half the Dems in Congress would switch parties out of spite

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He seems like a good Senator but has been boring and hasn't tried to make any national name for himself until a month ago. If he ran I'd probably support but he hasn't run. Bernie's the best dem who has run for president you technically correct pedant.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Main Paineframe posted:

i voted hillary in 2016 because I feared that if Bernie won, half the Dems in Congress would switch parties out of spite

oh

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gumball Gumption posted:

He seems like a good Senator but has been boring and hasn't tried to make any national name for himself until a month ago. If he ran I'd probably support but he hasn't run. Bernie's the best dem who has run for president you technically correct pedant.

You can't excuse his lackluster bona fides by claiming he's a Democrat and then accuse me of pedantry when I point out that's actually not a fair excuse.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Centrist liberal: Why must we hold our politicians to a higher standard?

Also Centeist liberal: we must hold bernie to a higher standard!

It is extremely bad Bernie didn't call for destruction of ICE.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's ok to have a federal agency enforce borders.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's ok to have a federal agency enforce borders.

:allears:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fine, how about Cynthia Nixon, then? She actually does want to abolish ICE, is a firebarnd, and is probably going to be free for 2020 because the NY Dem Machine is never going to let her beat Cuomo.

I would be hella stoked to vote for Nixon for President but I'm concerned about splitting the vote in the primary (an issue the centrists absolutely will have to deal with -- so let's not nullify that gap in their armor by adding that weakness to our side)

I'm also not sure she has enough political experience to have nearly the same size of network of actually-leftist people she can call on to staff the government. But if Bernie declines to run and throws his support and infrastructure behind Nixon I'm totally down for it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Keep in mind Powercrazy is an outlier and not at all representative of what leftists think

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

now I understand that the Dems revealing their inner GOP would be a good thing, so that they too become targets for the purges

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

powercrazy is about three mean posts about gamers to being Commie Ned Flanders

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You can't excuse his lackluster bona fides by claiming he's a Democrat and then accuse me of pedantry when I point out that's actually not a fair excuse.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

powercrazy is about three mean posts about gamers to being Commie Ned Flanders

You can't blame me, posters (especially mods, lol) go loving ballistic on these forums if you bring up certain topics. I can't help but kick that beehive.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm also not sure she has enough political experience to have nearly the same size of network of actually-leftist people she can call on to staff the government. But if Bernie declines to run and throws his support and infrastructure behind Nixon I'm totally down for it.

She has a lot of time to catch up, and seems to have a good net in New York. And keep in mind that Sanders` starting point was representing Vermont, so he didn't have a wide national network, either. Also, she is being endorsed by the NY Our Revolution.

What is his network of potential position-holders, by the way?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm also down with Kaniela Ing for 2024 (he won't be old enough in 2020)

https://twitter.com/splinter_news/status/981942117214932992

Reread this article from a few months back, it's really good and he's really good

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

bernie: says something that isn’t 100% leftist

leftists: finally! let’s stop supporting this lib and go back to being completely inconsequential in American politics - just as the nazis are back!!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

bernie: says something that isn’t 100% leftist

leftists: finally! let’s stop supporting this lib and go back to being completely inconsequential in American politics - just as the nazis are back!!

its mostly just unreconstructed hillarymen who for want the left to abandon to most popular politician in america for some reason :thunk:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

She has a lot of time to catch up, and seems to have a good net in New York. And keep in mind that Sanders` starting point was representing Vermont, so he didn't have a wide national network, either. Also, she is being endorsed by the NY Our Revolution.

What is his network of potential position-holders, by the way?

Bernie's "starting point" was years in Congress, which means he's met lots of people in DC and would be able to quickly reach out to the ones he thinks are good, and they can in turn reach out to the people they know who they think are good. This network also grew substantially when he ran in 2015-16 and built a campaign from basically toothpicks and tape -- same effect we saw in 2008 when Obama's campaign led to a growing tree of successors throughout the government (though, obviously, most of them ended up sucking because they were lanyards and liberals). Bernie's campaign also led to Our Revolution, DSA, and Justice Dems popping up and gathering up supporters and candidates, along with people who aren't actively running but still providing expertise and advice.

Not being a lanyard, I can't give you a specific list but it should be fairly clear that Bernie is way more politically connected than Nixon is, at least as of right now, right?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

leftists have you thought about actually supporting Mr Bland NoOne McGee from Boring Assholeville? He's truly better in every way. *collects check from the hillary foundation while cackling maniacally*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

its mostly just unreconstructed hillarymen who for want the left to abandon to most popular politician in america for some reason :thunk:

yeah, it's really transparent too

• Locked thread