Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Night Blade posted:

Is Chaos Code worth 50% off even though nobody is likely playing it?

It's a really good and fun game that's really unique. I'm definitely down to play it if people get it, even if the new revision is a little different than what I'm used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Night Blade posted:

Is Chaos Code worth 50% off even though nobody is likely playing it?

I like chaos code a lot its good fun to own

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Maybe they'll announce they're going to run the Marvel circuit again, but with mvc2?

Anniversary collection like Street Fighter, but with COTA, MSH, XvSF, MvSF, MvC and MvC2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember combos in Chaos Code being kinda too long and damage being a little too low for my tastes but it's a neat game

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I bought it and messed around in training mode a bit and was mad the grappler didn't do pot buster damage with his throw. I'll give it a few matches before I decide if I want to return it or not

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The main kid has the nastiest dandy step ever

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is there a way to set random cross burst in training? I'm trying to get the assist call timing down.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is there a way to set random cross burst in training? I'm trying to get the assist call timing down.

The only way I found to set a random cross burst is just record you pressing the Cross Burst input after some amount of seconds and then proceed to play it back.

You can probably set multiple if you really want to test it out with random recordings

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

In Training posted:

I remember combos in Chaos Code being kinda too long and damage being a little too low for my tastes but it's a neat game

Isn't that practically every modern fighting game? All that it's missing is the cinematic wank supers that people get tired of watching by week 2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Not really, the only game I know of that's worse than Chaos Code is Blazblue.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Sorry if this was posted already:

https://twitter.com/ahruon/status/1010526569478213633

https://twitter.com/i/status/1010608286205431809

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
whenever I play or think about chaos code all I really take away from it is sadness that rumble fish 2 never got any kind of re-release or a decent emulator

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

In Training posted:

How does every post you make end up worse then your last

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Chaotic Flame posted:

The way I do it is using the four recording slots, I'll set the first three to burst at different times and the last one to do nothing for a while, then set playback to random slot.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Blade Arcus is the worst modern non-doujin anime game, accept no substitute.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Night Blade posted:

Sorry if this was posted already:

[Card Sagas Wars Stuff]

Oh poo poo I remember reading about this like a decade ago. The sprites always seemed way too detailed for just some random fangame. It's nice that it's at least playable in some form after all this time.

It doesn't run properly on my computer (the view area is all messed up) but I played it a bit and it felt a whole lot like a video game and probably woulda been fun for the month or so before it got cease and desisted. Also, Cairne Bloodhoof is in there as an assist which caught me the gently caress off guard, though I'm not complaining.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Breaking my old lame heart dude

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Breaking my old lame heart dude

Yeah but it's true.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ultramega posted:

Yeah but it's true.

Nah.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I think you guys need to read In Training's post again unless you actually are denying and/or are upset that someone would suggest that Blazblue combos are long.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
is there a place with a general overview of melty blood characters

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Any tournaments with Crosstag this weekend? Interested to see what tournament play looks like now that there's been more time to figure stuff out.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Chaotic Flame posted:

Any tournaments with Crosstag this weekend? Interested to see what tournament play looks like now that there's been more time to figure stuff out.
Northwest Majors on https://www.twitch.tv/teamkhaos is supposed to have BB Tag top 8 at 11AM Pacific (about 3 hours from this post)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Kongming posted:

I think you guys need to read In Training's post again unless you actually are denying and/or are upset that someone would suggest that Blazblue combos are long.
Is BB that much of an outlier? This is what my labbing cheatsheet for suggested routes for the first - apparently beginner friendly - character i tried in my first fighting game looked like after a few days:

Granted, that's a rushdown playstyle aiming to do as much singleplayer as possible, but in execution it didn't look that unusual from other anime stuff i'd seen out there, especially at high levels. Is it just BB's scarcity of defensive options?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Uhh dude, you went hard into the paint when making that. You went past the hoop, up the stands, past concessions, and are out in the parking lot. poo poo doesn't need to be that complicated.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
It's not that much, it's just a 10 page google doc i got from the character discord boiled into something i could keep on my second monitor or tablet for quick look-ups while i was in training mode. And that's one of the shortest character guides i've encountered so far.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Is BB that much of an outlier? This is what my labbing cheatsheet for suggested routes for the first - apparently beginner friendly - character i tried in my first fighting game looked like after a few days:

Granted, that's a rushdown playstyle aiming to do as much singleplayer as possible, but in execution it didn't look that unusual from other anime stuff i'd seen out there, especially at high levels. Is it just BB's scarcity of defensive options?

Um, I'm afraid I can't answer your question because I don't even play Blazblue. I was just defending IT from unjust flaming because apparently they construed his post as some kind of slight against the game when he was just saying he thinks it has longer combos than Chaos Code.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

RoadCrewWorker posted:

what the gently caress who makes poo poo like this lol

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Zand posted:

*links daymendou's 200 page slayer guide*

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
took me like half an hour and was infinitely easier than memorizing a few dozen distinct combo strings or watching combo videos on loop. I obviously cant execute half the poo poo in it but people told me to stop learning bad habits from AIs so i wanna know what to aim for. are people just that intimidated by basic flowgraphs or what

Kongming posted:

he was just saying he thinks it has longer combos than Chaos Code.
Makes sense, haven't seen or heard too much of that game, probably more of a side-tournament title right? Gonna keep an eye out for it.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 24, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This is awesome.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's not that much, it's just a 10 page google doc i got from the character discord boiled into something i could keep on my second monitor or tablet for quick look-ups while i was in training mode. And that's one of the shortest character guides i've encountered so far.

Dude, you really don't need that complicated rear end flow chart for fighting games. This poo poo isn't eve online. That's a multifaceted distributed platform strategy for silicon wafer nanoscale fabrication instead of having a gameplan of "put ball in hoop."

Don't concentrate on how each muscle in your hand/forarm/upperarm/shoulder/abdomen contracts to make the ball bounce when you're dribbling, think instead of "they're gonna block my poo poo if I keep running this way so I should likely pass the ball"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Zand posted:

Agreed.

I greatly prefer 2.5 hour youtube character breakdowns.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

i know everyone learns differently but any flowchart with crossing lines is impossible to parse for me. Good on you though! I bet you actually internalized a lot just creating it.

Now stop playing trash baby anime games and pick the one and only true love for everyone, Guilty Gear

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Spanish Manlove posted:

Don't concentrate on how each muscle in your hand/forarm/upperarm/shoulder/abdomen contracts to make the ball bounce when you're dribbling, think instead of "they're gonna block my poo poo if I keep running this way so I should likely pass the ball"
Yeah and i did that for a few dozen hours and then played against a few experts who kept juggling me around for 90% of the round while i dropped my offensive after like 2 hits. So i asked them how to do some decent bnbs and i improved dramatically by learning a few routes from that resource that felt doable to me. The chart really isn't complex or obviously mandatory, just dense because i didn't want to refer to a dustloop wiki constantly to figure out continuations for the rare situations where i got lucky in neutral. And i obviously don't use it in the middle of a match where i do plenty of combo dropping and instinctive unsafe flailing, it was just a nice example for the length of expert level combos in that game. v :v: v

Ixiggle posted:

Now stop playing trash baby anime games and pick the one and only true love for everyone, Guilty Gear
I actually picked up GG rev 2 a few days ago and it's pretty great, so many great improvements from Signs. It even has offline lag simulation now, which i was desperately wishing for in CF. And it's loving gorgeous on a huge screen.
Now all i need is a way to mute Jam, or at least tone down the earpiercing a bit.

edit:Though one thing that really irks me in GG is how 90% of the health seems to be in the last 10-20% of the healthbar. The "everybody has the same HP but GUTS" system just feels weird for weirdness' sake to me.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 24, 2018

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

CRISPYBABY posted:

*links daymendou's 200 page slayer guide*

that guide is dope

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kongming posted:

Um, I'm afraid I can't answer your question because I don't even play Blazblue. I was just defending IT from unjust flaming because apparently they construed his post as some kind of slight against the game when he was just saying he thinks it has longer combos than Chaos Code.

Oh i thought he was saying cc is as bad as bb and that made me sad cause i hate bb (except tag)

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I’m gonna pick up a game this steam sale so I’ve got something to just mess around in and learn while i’m waiting for Soul Calibur 6 to exist. Messing around in and learning fighting game systems is fun.

Do I pick up Uniel, Melty, or some third option?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

edit:Though one thing that really irks me in GG is how 90% of the health seems to be in the last 10-20% of the healthbar. The "everybody has the same HP but GUTS" system just feels weird for weirdness' sake to me.

It seems kinda random but there are some decent gameplay implications of GUTS. For example chip damage is not affected by it so it becomes stronger at lower life levels relative to the rest of your toolkit. It also encourages using bigger starter moves instead of playing extra cautious with prorated light attacks when the opponents life is low, and in some cases guts can be considered for combos to do more damage, as you can keep your opponent in a higher guts tier that will let your next combo kill instead of bring extra low. That last reason isn't as commonly considered but in persona 4 arena a similar strategy is commonly used to avoid the damage reduction that kicks in when Awakening is activated at low life.