Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I like how you're playing the backseat mod routine when people disagree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you do somewhat come off as an unapologetic elon fan

just remember you can be brilliant, and a complete total wanker at the same time

putting folks on pedestals for their business savvy and bold moves hasn't really worked out so well lately.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sneakyfrog posted:

just remember you can be brilliant, and a complete total wanker at the same time

Just look at Steve "I created the iphone but also park in handicap spots" Jobs

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

iwentdoodie posted:

He's a tech version of trump. He talks a great game

https://i.imgur.com/5eRbRut.gifv

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

I mean he literally just talks, not that it's believable or true.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just look at Steve "I created the iphone but also park in handicap spots" Jobs

I mean, he did try to cure his cancer with vegetables....

Goober Peas posted:

I like how you're playing the backseat mod routine when people disagree with you.

Any defense of musk falls apart, so it's a good way to deflect with appeal to authority.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dont completely discount the guy but in some aspects he almost seems like a simulacra of a human being. its just weird.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
being a peak level performer in one (or many areas) may correlate with personality issues in other areas hmmmmmm naww 🤔

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

iwentdoodie posted:

I mean he literally just talks, not that it's believable or true.

Ah, the word "great" threw me for a loop

https://electrek.co/2018/06/22/elon-musk-considers-crowdsourcing-tesla-manufacturing-owners-build-parts-of-cars/

[extremely Elon voice] Like Rally Fighter except not and much worse!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ehhh, I find it hard to criticise, as we roll parts back and forth across a (very lumpy) public road on a hand cart on a daily basis.

But we didn't design that layout, and we're moving to an enclosed site in the near future anyway.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
At first glance it looks dumb fun.

But take a few seconds and it just looks nasty, dangerous and illegal.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Let your freak flag fly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh thank god not more Tesla/Musk bullshit posts.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Darchangel posted:

Oh thank god not more Tesla/Musk bullshit posts.

:emptyquote:

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

sneakyfrog posted:

you do somewhat come off as an unapologetic elon fan

putting folks on pedestals for their business savvy and bold moves hasn't really worked out so well lately.

Uncritical?

In just one post I said,

quote:

Yes moving cars with forklifts is a poor system...

Yes, Tesla can't make cars fast enough...

...they've failed to scale out properly

Yeah Tesla has huge issues to resolve...

In a later post I describe him as 'a bit of an idiot' and go on to describe his behavior as 'unacceptable'.

And I agree that pressure needs to be kept on Tesla to improve worker safety. I said

quote:

Keep the pressure up on the poo poo that matters.

And I followed that up with,

quote:

Christ, there are plenty of real issues with Tesla.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat.

So details?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_Fenchurch_Street ?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

drat.

So details?

e: turns out it was just a fire. still gross to look at tho
https://tucson.com/news/local/fire-...a331ffa6.html#5

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 23, 2018

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Nah that's in the US somewhere, 7 digit phone number in the background.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

drat.

So details?

this happened

seriously this is just about the single best worst picture posted in this thread

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Rhyno posted:

drat.

So details?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

She's so tiny! The Cobra is not a big car. Also that's an awkward pose, and the shoes don't match ... anything. Also she's a NASCAR driver, which is why I put it here.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

HawkHill posted:

No, not more than double the serious injury rate. Their TRIR is 6.2 that's half of what NUMMI's rate was. Their TRIR is in line with the rest of the industry.

It's the DART that's 7.3. Industry average for DART (Days Away, Restrictions and Transfers) is around 4. Some people feel that DART is a better measure of overall injury rate because it includes stuff that keeps you off the job or gets you transferred to other jobs . It's a much wider measure of injury but it's not the same as serious injury (TRIR).

Yeah DART is a good example of where they need to do better. Life sucks, there will always be injuries but it's their farking job to drive injury rates down to zero. They'll never get there but that's what the goal should be for all employers.

Keep the pressure up on the poo poo that matters.

Bullshit about tents and assembly lines built out of scrap is just bullshit.

BTW, they haven't 'decimated their work force'. They're adding workers in Fremont and Nevada. The layoffs were SolarCity and a few salaried employees.

Christ, there are plenty of real issues with Tesla. Let's not echo the bullshit. That distracts from the real stuff.

Telsa can't keep EHS personnel. They all quit or get fired in retaliation for reporting.

The requirements for putting in OSHA reportables are very light, and Telsa still fucks that up. If we had 1/10 of their problems the city fire department would roll in and shut us down.

Edit: They can't even mount their poo poo to the pad right

https://twitter.com/hoonable/status...actory-walls%2F

norton I fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 23, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A company ran like a tech startup avoids regulations and safety like a startup?

Shock and horror

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Chillbro Baggins posted:

She's so tiny! The Cobra is not a big car. Also that's an awkward pose, and the shoes don't match ... anything. Also she's a NASCAR driver, which is why I put it here.

I'd drive both of them.Fake or not.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Thanks, I'll update the website

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

wesleywillis posted:

Please tell me who else you'd like to gently caress. Thank you.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

norton I posted:

... Edit: They can't even mount their poo poo to the pad right

That's a good example of the kind of poo poo that they need to be held accountable for.

Taking a step back, I'm not sure how many days there were between the pour and when they started bolting. We probably didn't have to, but we waited the nominal 4 weeks between pouring grade beams and bolting the shear walls (here in San Francisco). There are ways to accelerate the curing but we chose to wait.

Were there on site inspectors during the entire operation? Are they inspected post-installation? Do they have to rework this poo poo? For seismic work the answer is yes to all of those things in San Francisco. San Francisco inspectors don't stand there and watch your crew torque each and every connection but they do inspect them all and check the torque on a randomly selected subset. I'd expect that it's the same deal in Fremont but I don't know that as a fact.

As I've said before, the Hayward Fault runs directly through Fremont. They've got to be built to handle a mid magnitude 6 quake. Actually that's probably wrong. The software pulls in numbers based on your GPS coordinates. That maps to USGS soil profile data and to shake amplitude data for your specific site. That whole area is a mix of poorly consolidated rubble that washes out of the hills down in to the bay. It's possible that they're in a liquefaction zone. In my neighborhood, you can move two houses down the street and move from competent rock to liquefaction zone (because that guy's property is on top of a stream that's been coming out of the hills for thousands of years is now buried under recent development). When we were bolting down big crushy metal things in Mountain View we were good if we could show the old Zone 4 certification. That's pretty good but it's not what we have to do in San Francisco.

BTW, the Mountain View thing was for a start-up that was much much much smaller than Tesla. We're no ALL idiots and most of us do give a poo poo about not killing people.

Edit: Changed a word. Added Zone 4 comments.

HawkHill fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 23, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone please contact OSHA.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

HawkHill posted:

That's a good example of the kind of poo poo that they need to be held accountable for.

Taking a step back, I'm not sure how many days there were between the pour and when they started bolting. We probably didn't have to, but we waited the nominal 4 weeks between pouring grade beams and bolting the shear walls (here in San Francisco). There are ways to accelerate the curing but we chose to wait.

Were there on site inspectors during the entire operation? Are they inspected post-installation? Do they have to rework this poo poo? For seismic work the answer is yes to all of those things in San Francisco. San Francisco inspectors don't stand there and watch your crew torque each and every connection but they do inspect them all and check the torque on a randomly selected subset. I'd expect that it's the same deal in Fremont but I don't know that as a fact.

As I've said before, the Hayward Fault runs directly through Fremont. They've got to be built to handle a mid magnitude 6 quake. Actually that's probably wrong. The software pulls in numbers based on your GPS coordinates. That maps to USGS soil profile data and to shake amplitude data for your specific site. That whole area is a mix of poorly consolidated rubble that washes out of the hills down in to the bay. It's possible that they're in a liquefaction zone. In my neighborhood, you can move two houses down the street and move from competent rock to liquefaction zone (because that guy's property is on top of a stream that's been coming out of the hills for thousands of years is now buried under recent development). When we were bolting down big crushy metal things in Mountain View we were good if we could show the old Zone 4 certification. That's pretty good but it's not what we have to do in San Francisco.

BTW, the Mountain View thing was for a start-up that was much much much smaller than Tesla. We're no ALL idiots and most of us do give a poo poo about not killing people.

Edit: Changed a word. Added Zone 4 comments.

Having bid this sort of work for Tesla, they don't give two flying fucks about any city inspections. I looked at installing major structural reinforcements to the floor of what was to become the model 3 press line and they didn't have one word in the specs about inspections or permits or any of the like. The entire bid package was under 15 pages, including the job walk invitation and the drawings. Also looked at erecting a loading bay enclosure - approximately 150' of steel building attached to existing structure and it was the same deal. They really don't give a poo poo about anything other than getting whatever they need in place to hopefully not be too late on their cars.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

charliemonster42 posted:

Having bid this sort of work for Tesla, they don't give two flying fucks about any city inspections. I looked at installing major structural reinforcements to the floor of what was to become the model 3 press line and they didn't have one word in the specs about inspections or permits or any of the like. The entire bid package was under 15 pages, including the job walk invitation and the drawings. Also looked at erecting a loading bay enclosure - approximately 150' of steel building attached to existing structure and it was the same deal. They really don't give a poo poo about anything other than getting whatever they need in place to hopefully not be too late on their cars.

...so yep,

Rigged Death Trap posted:

A company ran like a tech startup avoids regulations and safety like a startup?

Shock and horror

just gotta get that product up and going as fast as possible!

of course applying the same mentality to a giant metal and concrete structure full of people and machinery in earthquakeville and a dumb website / mobile app may not be the best course of action, but what do I know

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

of course applying the same mentality to a giant metal and concrete structure full of people and machinery in earthquakeville and a dumb website / mobile app may not be the best course of action, but what do I know

See, that's why making it a tent is actually an act of visionary leadership - after The Big One hits, staff will just cut their way out from under the debris with a pocket knife.

What I guess I'm saying is that Musk should start building canvas skyscrapers.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

What kind of car is that?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
fiero

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

VVV My friend took the picture. I wasn't there, but it sure look like it's coming off.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 24, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When a joke goes too far.

Was the nose kit peeling off too? It sort of looks like it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

xzzy posted:

Was the nose kit peeling off too? It sort of looks like it.

Maybe it’s decorative peeling

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i cant hate that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can