Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fiedler posted:

unlikely. almost all microsoft employees are dead inside.

:rip: Linux Archduke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they were the one in the darth vader costume, right?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

akadajet posted:

lol microsoft employees are mad when they find out that trump's version of the SS uses Azure.

Another echoed, “I’ll seriously consider leaving if I’m not happy with how they handle this.”

doesn't sound very mad imo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

ahahaha. microsoft really is the new ibm

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Krankenstyle posted:

Another echoed, “I’ll seriously consider leaving if I’m not happy with how they handle this.”

doesn't sound very mad imo

that's the best quote they could muster. you could get a more impassioned response by asking about the cafeterias.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

after trump was elected there were reports that basically every tech CEO personally contacted him to offer services

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/kateconger/status/1009216057733627904

Microsoft thread, now it's haunted by the ghosts of migrant children

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

https://twitter.com/kateconger/status/1009216057733627904

Microsoft thread, now it's haunted by the ghosts of migrant children

They'll just move all their poo poo to bezos' GovCloud (which most of it is probably already on).

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

akadajet posted:

They'll just move all their poo poo to bezos' GovCloud (which most of it is probably already on).

Pretty sure azgov outpaces bezgov far as I've asked

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

look, people, we're just hosting calendaring we're not helping run concentration camps for children

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the child concentration camp event calendar has nothing to do with this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

arbecht macht weeee!

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

offical microsoft statement released

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NEED MORE MILK posted:

offical microsoft statement released

just subcontract it through IBM

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

dont be mean to me posted:

you know ms the doj's staff are eroded to poo poo thanks to the orange demon

you could probably not just back out of that contract but profit off of it

you are their definition of job creators after all

e: or you can do the whole serve without serving thing point is you got options

doj always has plenty of resources for going after enemies of the administration

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

owned by $200 ps4s

quote:

Microsoft’s chief marketing officer of gaming Mike Nichols said that “we don’t have any plans specific to Xbox consoles in virtual reality or mixed reality.” Nichols goes on to say that the PC is “probably the best platform” for virtual and mixed reality, and that for the Xbox, “our focus is primarily on experiences you would play on your TV.”

This basically completes the slow decay of Microsoft’s console VR plans, at least for now. In 2016, Xbox chief Phil Spencer said that the upcoming Project Scorpio console would support “high-end VR” like that available on Windows PCs. Since Microsoft had previously partnered with Oculus to support Xbox controllers on the Oculus Rift, there was widespread speculation that Scorpio might work with the Rift as well.

This never happened, but later that year, Microsoft announced an entire line of VR headsets — and a few months after that, it said that mixed reality content would be coming to Xbox devices in 2018. However, at last year’s E3, Spencer was substantially less enthusiastic. He told Road to VR that although he was “long-term bullish” on VR, it wasn’t ready to come to Xbox yet, and the market was “years away.” Now, Nichols is barely even expressing interest in the platform.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qirex posted:

owned by $200 ps4s

Good, vr is lovely remakes of 10 year old games and dumb point and click shovelware. Call me back when there's actually good games the Xbox will be missing out on because of no vr.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

atm vr shines for art games and installations. it’s expensive enough as it is that grants help for indie devs. I don’t know the details but I highly doubt MS console dev options are at all cheap or accessible

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

console Dev kits are like 20 grand I think but most of the tools run on PCs

the interesting bit isn’t that VR is a useless toy [because it is] it just further illustrates how microsoft is reducing investment in the xbox. the next few years will be them figuring out how to translate live revenue to people who use other platforms, game pass is the start of that

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
nah it's just typical microsoft "another division owns that experience" bullshit

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

when explaining the target market for azure, microsoft said (direct quote) "not everyone is a startup. there are enterprise customers out there that want to scale. there are also people who dress as clowns and kill children, storing their bodies in the basement. one day we will all be free from jews and all jewish influence."

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PleasureKevin posted:

when explaining the target market for azure, microsoft said (direct quote) "not everyone is a startup. there are enterprise customers out there that want to scale. there are also people who dress as clowns and kill children, storing their bodies in the basement. one day we will all be free from jews and all jewish influence."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

jesus

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is W10 Home as gimped as XP Home was?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 24, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

it is gimped enough that i don’t consider it for personal purchases, don’t remember much about xp home

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Bitlocker is probably the most important functionality that's missing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It’s just a shitposting-and-Fallout box, but I think I still have an 10P MSDN key around here somewhere.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can activate old Win 7/8/8.1 keys as well.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Schadenboner posted:

I think you may be losing even more features

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

it's trash for assholes and you can't disable any of the annoying ad poo poo without registry hacks because no GPO support

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lambert posted:

Bitlocker is probably the most important functionality that's missing.

nah, group policy editor to disable some of the more obnoxious bits they’ve tacked on the system

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

cinci zoo sniper posted:

nah, group policy editor to disable some of the more obnoxious bits they’ve tacked on the system

You can just Google .reg files to mitigate that.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin posted:

microsoft is cool again

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
even with gpo and registry modifiers it'll sometimes ignore those

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lambert posted:

You can just Google .reg files to mitigate that.

lol yes just go and grab some random system files you find with a google search

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Stymie posted:

lol yes just go and grab some random system files you find with a google search

it's a loving text file; people can tell what it does or nope out of it on grounds that it's over their head by looking at it

if they can read anyway

which explains your incredulity i guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

GPO is supported reg hacks aren't, even though GPO is implemented via the registry, just putting arbitrary poo poo in there can and does break stuff. especially after major version updates

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like half this thread is nothing but morons complaining about how broken windows is, and then it turns out they did a bunch of unsupported hacks and 3rd party replacement poo poo, and no loving kidding it breaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Setting the same registry key a group policy does is not going to break Windows. Just stay away from dumb "privacy hidden settings" tools.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 25, 2018