Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Of course you would.

I love otomes lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Finally we might get other games other than otomate.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

voltcatfish posted:

can i date jack the ripper

Well, once at least.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Terper posted:

It's the end of the 19th century in England...
Illuminating the nighttime streets of London covered in thick fog are gas lamps and the moonlight from between clouds.

Ladies and gentleman, be careful on the streets at night.
Things like scoundrels and mysteries hiding in the streets might be aiming at you.

Cases too large for the highly prided English police force Scotland Yard are overflowing the streets.
If you happen to get caught up in an incident...please prepare yourself to accompany it.

A great detective with skillful intellect.

A bold and fearless phantom thief.

Now then, if Big Ben's ringing echoes across the streets of London, the curtain will open on love and adventure!
I'm glad the second season of Princess Principal is mixing things up, but this seems like a bit much.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ytlaya posted:

* This isn't to say that Umineko had some brilliant mystery solutions or anything - pretty much every mystery boiled down to either Shannon/Kanon being the same person or them working with the servants + collaborator.

tbf, most mystery solutions end up like this once you figure out the one trick. I mean, I would put Umineko's solutions above Then They Were None itself becomes trivial once you figured out its trick. That is just kinda mystery.

e: This isn't me dissing the mystery genre, like what makes a good solution/trick is more the execution and how it plays in the story itself. What makes a brilliant mystery is the solution with the sleight of hand. Any solution by itself, is probably not going to seem so brilliant.

ee: though like you said Umineko itself cares more about the mystery of motivation instead of the mechanics of crime so this whole reply is kinda pointless SO SORRY FOR THAT

voltcatfish posted:

you are supposed to hate the ushiromiya family. they're rich snobs

Though you should like Kyrie from the start because Kyrie is the best.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 23, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Natsuhi a lot, even if there is one thing in particular she did which was Not Cool.

Rosa is the worst.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Rosa really jerks you around if you are someone who wants to like her.
I ended up liking everyone a lot, besides Kinzo and Rosa when she doesn't have a gun, but and Eva ended up probably being my favorite character (in the family at least.)

They are all awful rich people, but for the most part they at least somewhat end up as likable (as characters) awful people.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

you know, i was enjoying DRV3 now that it finally costs less then $60. i still am enjoying it. but the culprit for the first case is some real bullshit. not like, fun bullshit that i expect from the series, "who gave you the right to write a murder mystery" bullshit

huge dangan ronpa v3 spoilers:

we see kaede's thoughts. she is the detective and the protagonist and we see her thoughts. maybe there's just clever misdirection instead of outright lying, im not going back to check, but this feels like a shocking twist for the sake of a shocking twist. also, i thought we were getting a cool female hero to play as, but nope!!!!!! you're a dude again i guess!!!! i like shuuchi but gently caress

Snooze Cruise posted:

They are all awful rich people, but for the most part they at least somewhat end up as likable (as characters) awful people.

yeah, making even the worst of its cast feel like actual developed human beings is something umineko does very well, and is also kind of The Point as far as you can say umineko has a single point

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 23, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Re: DRV3:

If you did go back to check things, you'd find it's actually somewhat well done. Like, when you're checking out things in the warehouse, Shuuichi comes back after you're looking at the shot puts, and she thinks "I put the things I was holding in my bag. . ." And when you're in the classroom, when rushing after Shuuichi, she says something like "I dropped everything I was holding and ran out the door. . ."

Like, I'm sure you have different reasons for disliking it that I'm just not getting, but things were signposted, if barely. It reminds me of the subtler mystery hints from Umineko and Higurashi.

...Agreed, though, that I would have preferred Kaede as the primary character, because I liked her a lot.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If only dlanor were there

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

John Lee posted:

Re: DRV3:

If you did go back to check things, you'd find it's actually somewhat well done. Like, when you're checking out things in the warehouse, Shuuichi comes back after you're looking at the shot puts, and she thinks "I put the things I was holding in my bag. . ." And when you're in the classroom, when rushing after Shuuichi, she says something like "I dropped everything I was holding and ran out the door. . ."

Like, I'm sure you have different reasons for disliking it that I'm just not getting, but things were signposted, if barely. It reminds me of the subtler mystery hints from Umineko and Higurashi.

...Agreed, though, that I would have preferred Kaede as the primary character, because I liked her a lot.

yeah, thinking back on it everything makes sense, logically, and there was a bunch of clever foreshadowing, but I still feel like it's fundamentally dishonest to have the culprit be someone whose thoughts you hear.

Cake Attack posted:

If only dlanor were there

every mystery would be improved by adding dlanor tbh. where's knox's rules when i need them

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What the gently caress is wrong with you guys, Krauss is obviously the best Ushiromiya.

food court bailiff posted:

I'm really trying to push past the boring intro and how much I hate most of the characters in Umineko (so far, at least) to get to the meat of it and keep my 7th Expansion fix going, and an offhand joking comment from Battler early on seems to be a callback to some stuff from Higurashi. Like, I know they're not directly related but it seemed like a wink and nod to the reader and has me wracking my brain trying to figure out if I can actually work any new theories or hints out from it.

Umineko's biggest strength is the characters, so I would mostly focus on them.

Knowledge of Higurashi in no way contributes to figuring out what's going on, aside from arguably being misleading in some ways.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Ytlaya posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you guys, Krauss is obviously the best Ushiromiya.

this person has a season pass to Delsneyland

The opening of Umineko can be interesting or super boring depending how much you like rich ppl family politics and sniping but it really is a much richer read the second time around. Obviously I'm not suggesting people read the billion hour game twice when they're just starting, but if you end up connecting with it I think you'd be quite happy with a re-read a few years down the line. It's also supremely fun to get people into it and have them liveblog or give impressions as they go

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You all laugh at Krauss now but when he gets Moon hotels set up you'll wish you had invested in his ideas.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

dmboogie posted:

you know, i was enjoying DRV3 now that it finally costs less then $60. i still am enjoying it. but the culprit for the first case is some real bullshit. not like, fun bullshit that i expect from the series, "who gave you the right to write a murder mystery" bullshit

(thematic spoilers for DRV3 I guess, if you don't want a vague forewarning about where it's going with all this stuff) DRV3 is pretty much purposely designed to disappoint and annoy the player, and this won't be the last time it does so. Think of it as the Funny Games of visual novels and you won't be too far off.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

can i date jack the ripper

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1010273805292355584

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I remember really being put off by the first trial of V3 at first. Like, I loved WHAT it did but I also hated it emotionally. It retrospect it is even better, and I think some of that bad feeling is assuaged by Suuichi being the best protagonist in the series by far.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

I'm on part 4 of the Umineko questions arc, and I just want to say gently caress Rosa. gently caress her forever holy crap. For reference I just got to the part with the police officer. I don't think that's specific enough to possibly spoil anything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Vita version of Muv Luv just like let's you choose Ultimate from the start without even having to touch Extra, talk about missing the point....

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

The Silver Case is really good. Halfway through the cases so far and loving it. The aesthetic is amazing and dynamic and totally captures the 90s Japan, rough, chain-smoking badassery in the characters and dialogue. And that soundtrack, drat, so chill.

Also appreciated is the button that lets you skip the puzzles if you don't want to bother.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Is the silver case good then? Especially if one likes murder mysteries and the sort.

What I saw of it seemed to imply the game veered too much into not making sense, but maybe that's just from seeing random screenshots.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

mrfreeze posted:

I'm on part 4 of the Umineko questions arc, and I just want to say gently caress Rosa. gently caress her forever holy crap. For reference I just got to the part with the police officer. I don't think that's specific enough to possibly spoil anything.
She is a garbage person.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Meallan posted:

Is the silver case good then? Especially if one likes murder mysteries and the sort.

What I saw of it seemed to imply the game veered too much into not making sense, but maybe that's just from seeing random screenshots.

It’s fine, I’m nearly done with my first play through. It’s got a weird logic to it, but it’s internally consistent so far, so that helps a lot.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ytlaya posted:

He is a doofy idiot so he is very cute.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I remember really being put off by the first trial of V3 at first. Like, I loved WHAT it did but I also hated it emotionally. It retrospect it is even better, and I think some of that bad feeling is assuaged by Suuichi being the best protagonist in the series by far.

I just finished the game and good god. I definitely want to play the first trial over again at some point .

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

A lot of visual novels are on sale and for whichever reason the one I chose to buy is The Letter

Did you guys pick up any visual novels?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I picked up Subahibi, after some deliberating, since I generally stay away from NSFW stuff. I figured I might as well read it as bite the bullet and read it.

Of course, I won't be really able talk about it in this thread.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I grabbed Higurashi 1 because it was barely more than $1. I'm currently reading Prof's LP for Umineko and have his Fata Morgana bookmarked but I'll probably buy that instead. I'm also debating getting Little Busters because I'm a sucker for Key but all I know about it is this video of a minigame someone linked me.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you like Key's stuff you should definitely read Little Busters

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

MegaZeroX posted:

I picked up Subahibi, after some deliberating, since I generally stay away from NSFW stuff. I figured I might as well read it as bite the bullet and read it.

It's okay, it's not really worth talking about.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played through all the routes of Muv Luv Extra, now I feel too attached to the characters to want to read any more

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I played through all the routes of Muv Luv Extra, now I feel too attached to the characters to want to read any more
Oh right, that came out on Vita. I should probably claim those codes at some point...

Also, uh, *tugs at collar*

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MegaZeroX posted:

I've considered making like a Discord or something for the adult stuff where it's clear we're not being creepy or anything but some stories just can't be told without adult material.

I finished Carpe Diem: Reboot couple days ago. It feels like there's clearly more but I don't think I've heard of plans for another VN? :shrug:

I also finished Her Lie I tried to believe. Wow. That VN was trash. Basically, just imagine an hour of misplaced hate then a not so shocking "reveal".

On to Shuffle (which I bought in the sale) and maybe finish Ladykiller, which I won't talk about here.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't worry, everything is alright in the next two installments. It only gets better!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

voltcatfish posted:

A lot of visual novels are on sale and for whichever reason the one I chose to buy is The Letter

I really liked The Letter. It plays at being horror, but it works much better if you treat it like the sims and are just playing with the people's relationships.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

CottonWolf posted:

I really liked The Letter. It plays at being horror, but it works much better if you treat it like the sims and are just playing with the people's relationships.

I thought it was much better when you "messed up" and got people killed. It made for a story with progressive high stakes. Otherwise there's way too much rise and fall of action.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So is The Letter worth it? It sounds like extremely my jam.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Raxivace posted:

It's very ymmv because it's extremely character driven and if you don't enjoy the characters then you will be annoyed for the entirety of your playthrough. Some of the characters can be kind of tropey and annoying especially if you don't go "bad route" on them.

It's not much of a mystery either because the background story of the house/haunting is very bare bones.

What it does well though is that it is David Cage level of choices and consequences. That thing is full of choices and the storyline reacts in a lots of ways, sometimes as dramatic as starting a later character with 0 of the supporting cast. I think that's why the user above said it had some sim aspect to it. Also I thought that some of the ghost encounters were well done and suspenseful with some creative QTE for some; that said they abuse the "ghost popup" a bit and sometimes it was just funny to me.

The voice acting is okay. The art is very good and wonderfully animated. Honestly may be see someone play the very beginning of the game, perhaps until the end of the prologue or at least until the end of the cinema scene. I think the character that grates the most on people is Ashe, so if you get through the end of that without feeling like you want to blow your brains out (I don't think it's much worse than what you see in other VNs personally), then give it a shot.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Raxivace posted:

I personally feel that the characters are pretty good, but the VN fails to successfully pull off being a "horror" VN, leaving the plot meandering. The story is the most reactive story in any VN that I've seen, probably even more so than LLTQ. I wish that the plot felt like it had more going, or that at least the horror part actually panned out. As it is, I'd recommend it at an academic level, since it tries interesting things and does them with varying degrees of success.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

The Letter is basically Until Dawn in visual novel form.