Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

iPodschun posted:

Northwest Majors on https://www.twitch.tv/teamkhaos is supposed to have BB Tag top 8 at 11AM Pacific (about 3 hours from this post)

This ended up being pretty fun. Thanks! The stream linked me to a Japanese tourney too. They only do 2/3 which feels crazy to me for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dragon enthusiast posted:

is there a place with a general overview of melty blood characters

Ask around your local Wendy's bathroom

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I decided to answer my own question and looked the games up a bit to figure out the differences in how they play. Decided to pick up Uniel, played it for half an hour before work, and I’ve already got this to say.

I absolutely adore Carmine. Enough to probably get me to pick up cross tag eventually.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ixiggle posted:

It seems kinda random but there are some decent gameplay implications of GUTS. For example chip damage is not affected by it so it becomes stronger at lower life levels relative to the rest of your toolkit. It also encourages using bigger starter moves instead of playing extra cautious with prorated light attacks when the opponents life is low, and in some cases guts can be considered for combos to do more damage, as you can keep your opponent in a higher guts tier that will let your next combo kill instead of bring extra low. That last reason isn't as commonly considered but in persona 4 arena a similar strategy is commonly used to avoid the damage reduction that kicks in when Awakening is activated at low life.
Yeah i've been doing some reading up on it and the prevalence of minimum damage makes a lot more sense if characters have a pool of 420 instead of 13000 or more hitpoints and many supers have dozens and dozens of hits. And i like the idea of having optimal strategies morph between early and late-game in a round, which opens up a lot of depth for advanced players. Though as a beginner it mostly seems very obscured and messes with readability of the healthbar, which makes assessing if an attack is going to kill pretty different from games without that behavior.

Aside from that my gg notes are progressing nicely

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
just play and lose until you win

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

RoadCrewWorker posted:

lol

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah i've been doing some reading up on it and the prevalence of minimum damage makes a lot more sense if characters have a pool of 420 instead of 13000 or more hitpoints and many supers have dozens and dozens of hits. And i like the idea of having optimal strategies morph between early and late-game in a round, which opens up a lot of depth for advanced players. Though as a beginner it mostly seems very obscured and messes with readability of the healthbar, which makes assessing if an attack is going to kill pretty different from games without that behavior.

Hey wouldn't you know I'm using the same strategy but in DBFZ.

This is an optimal path is what I'm saying

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 24, 2018

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
That's a flowchart I can get behind.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Anybody playing 30th Anni Collection? Been watching 3s,ST,and Alpha tournaments and really got the itch.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RBX posted:

Anybody playing 30th Anni Collection? Been watching 3s,ST,and Alpha tournaments and really got the itch.

Yah.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Have they fixed the input-reading bugs and the ragequit button yet?

In my heart, I know the answer.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I bought the 30th anniversary collection for the Switch somehow thinking I could play it while traveling. It's sat almost completely unplayed after my fight stick got packed up.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Gentlemen we are approaching the cusp of gougi. Fighting ex layer will be upon us in just a few short days

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Gentlemen we are approaching the cusp of gougi. Fighting ex layer will be upon us in just a few short days

This games gonna crash and burn so hard. I sincerely hope it doesn't, but I don't here anyone talking about it outside of FGC circles, and even within the fervor for the game has definitely died down since the initial announcement.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"selling gems" is such a suicidal move

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imma buy the cheap version and if the online dies ill just wait til the kid is old enough to play it with me.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

FanaticalMilk posted:

This games gonna crash and burn so hard. I sincerely hope it doesn't, but I don't here anyone talking about it outside of FGC circles, and even within the fervor for the game has definitely died down since the initial announcement.

I mean no one talks about anime games outside the FGC either.

But yeah its gonna be less popular than those. Maybe it'll be fun tho.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Based on what I've seen it will be very fun for the 14 people who play it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alan snyders voice samples are so perfectly badly compressed or whatever i will buy the game just to listen to them

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They decided to wait until a week before the game comes out to tell people there's a vs. AI mode, and it's buried three menus deep in training mode so the three people who review the game will never ever see it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i continue to improve

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They decided to wait until a week before the game comes out to tell people there's a vs. AI mode, and it's buried three menus deep in training mode so the three people who review the game will never ever see it.

Arika seems like a studio desperately in need of guidance from a publisher. Welp, so much for Tetris Grandmaster 4 ever seeing the light of day.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Tetris effect looks loving dope at least

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
SRS is fundamentally broke so no not really

it's pretty funny that Tetris effect lifted the Zone mechanic from TGM4 though

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

As it was posted, virtually no one is talking about this. I played a whole heck of a lot of Street Figher Ex plus Alpha on the PS1 with some friends, is the game going to play similar to that one? It's hard to gauge that from the gameplay videos I've seen. That said, I'm very bad a fighting games and according to the site they have a mode for bads like me that simplify the commands to pull off specials, so that's rad as heck.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Jimbot posted:

As it was posted, virtually no one is talking about this. I played a whole heck of a lot of Street Figher Ex plus Alpha on the PS1 with some friends, is the game going to play similar to that one? It's hard to gauge that from the gameplay videos I've seen. That said, I'm very bad a fighting games and according to the site they have a mode for bads like me that simplify the commands to pull off specials, so that's rad as heck.

It plays pretty much exactly like an EX game + faster movement.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The beta was fun

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/ahruon/status/1011607467309129728

4 more characters coming to Card Sagas Wars.

I wonder if we'll get the see the remaining 4 cast members added in a final update (Master Chief, Lenneth, Samus and other Valkyrie I dont know the name of)

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yes, we'll get all those too.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'll buy Fighting Ex Layer if each character has an arcade ending of stiff, awkward movements accompanied by a lovely elevator jazz midi

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's a drastic step down from turning Castlevania 3 into your arcade mode.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

figures the only time i care about a games release in years i cant even find fighting ex layer on the playstation store less than a day before it launches :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's not on the digital store yet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

figures the only time i care about a games release in years i cant even find fighting ex layer on the playstation store less than a day before it launches :(

This is not a preload game
You will not get it at midnight

This will fart out around noon eastern and i will be there to waste 40 dollarz

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fighting EX Layer failed the moment they didn't call it Fighting Layer EX, come the hell on Arika, FLEX is right there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yardbomb posted:

Fighting EX Layer failed the moment they didn't call it Fighting Layer EX, come the hell on Arika, FLEX is right there.

IIRC there was a trademark or copyright issue or some poo poo with doing that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They coulda had it be an unofficial acronym and just call the game that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fexl is up on the store.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
We're calling it FLEX regardless of what the actual name is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

mango sentinel posted:

We're calling it FLEX regardless of what the actual name is.

It’s the moral thing to do