Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I feel like if they made the game :10bux: with some cosmetics they might pull in more people. Yeah, devs need to eat - but the population needs to expand. I dunno, just a thought. It's a hard sell when say, ESO and GW2 are constantly on sale and just look better to the average consumer.

I agree that there really should be a trial though, maybe with a level cap for skills and with players being limited to the first zone or something (outside of the tutorial). I know the devs were talking about it a while back who knows how far off it is.

I want to see this game succeed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Counterpoint:

The game has been free for a long time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

desudrive posted:

I feel like if they made the game :10bux: with some cosmetics they might pull in more people. Yeah, devs need to eat - but the population needs to expand. I dunno, just a thought. It's a hard sell when say, ESO and GW2 are constantly on sale and just look better to the average consumer.

I agree that there really should be a trial though, maybe with a level cap for skills and with players being limited to the first zone or something (outside of the tutorial). I know the devs were talking about it a while back who knows how far off it is.

I want to see this game succeed!

I believe the reason for the price tag was so that they could offer it at a high discount in steam sales without it getting into the single digit dollar amounts.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am going to give this game a 3 out of 5 alexander de large stars unless you like muds then it might be 5 out of 5

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Third World Reggin posted:

I am going to give this game a 3 out of 5 alexander de large stars unless you like muds then it might be 5 out of 5

I... :smith:

Yeah, that's probably spot on.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I got like 5 or 6 people playing this game now so we are about 1% of the population.

It feels like the first run of EQ1 before expansions or runescape, which is neat.

One guy has never played a skill based game before and didn't get it. It clicks with him now and he is enjoying it way too much.

For anyone on the fence, 30 bucks sucks, we probably have gotten 30 bucks worth of entertainment, but it won't hold up as long as something like guild wars 2.

It is a fun game if you have some hand holding and get past tutorial island.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I wish I got a shovel to bury corpses on the tutorial island, not way later. It helps improve spawn rates and cleans places.

Animal speak owns and made this pretty good. For people who haven't played it, that is a were wolf trying to talk in global but it replaces random words with howl.

I wish someone told me about this earlier.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Oh neat! They didn't used to have the favor tips like that before. That'll make bank management way easier.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Inimicul posted:

Oh neat! They didn't used to have the favor tips like that before. That'll make bank management way easier.

Yeah, they added those shortly before beta. The tip section in general is a godsend for a game that's sense of direction was so poor it sometimes ran in reverse.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
lets start a guild or discord or something.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
This is a "fun" game if you have friends to mess around with.

Other than that, it can get really monotonous once the "weird fun" shine wears off. It looks and feels archaic the moment you load in.

It's different enough that I wanted to give it a try, but it was a struggle for me. I'd rather play Everquest if Im gonna suffer an old engine and graphics.

Adding a $40 price tag just seems hilarious to me.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I played this before for a while. Trying to recover that account, but no idea how I would go about that. Any help?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

No idea. I gave up on linking my prealpha account and just made a new one.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Other things I wish that were explained.

There are bowls on the ground in Serbule Hills that let you teleport between them.

Shamanistic Infusion is great. Go get pickled dishes from frogs, give it to the frog on the hill, and infuse your armor.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm hoping by the time this game lowers to a $10 sale price, there will be enough content, polish, and something resembling skill and monster balance that I can overlook the horrible unity assets and the severe lack of pretty princess dress-up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

lol if you think there will ever be polish

that isn't what this game is about

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Current status.

A pig, spider, and bard walk into the newbie dungeon, script some events about cursed bacon or you must enjoy the pig to escape the island, and several new players see it and walk out of the entrance of the dungeon instead of escaping the island.

Pig dances are amazing.

One character thinks he will turn into a pig in 3 days when the moon is full.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I like to butcher so I get a lot of potions that turn players permanently into animals unless they find a rare counter potion.

I also like to be super helpful to new players.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
They didn't want that $40 anyway.

I love it when pigs start dancing in town and then just go to work.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

I like to butcher so I get a lot of potions that turn players permanently into animals unless they find a rare counter potion.

I also like to be super helpful to new players.

this will never stop being funny to me. though i think spiders make the best animal eeeeeeeeeee

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

buglord posted:

this will never stop being funny to me. though i think spiders make the best animal eeeeeeeeeee

a few seconds later there was the squeal of a pig and Teft the Pig respawned at the cave entrance.

Also that deer guy finally figured out how to do trade chat.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Update on Teft the Pig.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Update on Teft the Pig.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I am having a blast in this game. Shame the price tag scares away people who will drop 150$ on the next kmmo.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It has begun I guess.

I am setting it so anyone can invite anyone but you have to be in the same zone.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Update on Teft the Pig.

How to get oiiink?
oiiiiiiink?
oiiiiiink

:allears:

There's more posts in this thread now, has the goonguild been revived?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hy_C posted:

I am having a blast in this game. Shame the price tag scares away people who will drop 150$ on the next kmmo.

Yeah for real

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I'm tempted to pick up Priest and see how werepope works out as a combo. Anyone have much experience with Priest yet?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Fewd posted:

How to get oiiink?
oiiiiiiink?
oiiiiiink

:allears:

There's more posts in this thread now, has the goonguild been revived?

No idea! I made a guild for my friends but we really don't care who joins us. Also we may drop this game at the drop of a hat but I try not to leave people stranded.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

No idea! I made a guild for my friends but we really don't care who joins us. Also we may drop this game at the drop of a hat but I try not to leave people stranded.

Guild? I might have to join! I picked this game back up during the summer sale. I never made it too far, something else came out last time I tried this then I forgot about it. Currently enjoying doing newbie stuff.

I still have the same setup I did in 2015, which is fire / psychologist skills are in the 15-20 range. I'm not sure it's a great combo. I've found a few interesting daggers I might try that out.

My biggest problem is there's so much stuff and I have no idea what's worth anything (I assume at this point all the rng gear is garbage because level 15 but I've been holding onto things that look interesting).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Yah so send me a tell in game and then we have to be in the same zone for a guild invite.

The guild currently does very little for you. Gets you some shared inventory space with the rest of the guild in towns and 3 guild quests can be done per week that gives you special tokens to buy things. I don't know how to do those yet but from what I read on the wiki we are gonna let the animal people do it since it is stupid easy for them.

Just /Tell Grith Invite me you stupid rear end in a top hat and I will see what I can do.

I'll probably write a small starter guide for new players later on today.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Yah so send me a tell in game and then we have to be in the same zone for a guild invite.

The guild currently does very little for you. Gets you some shared inventory space with the rest of the guild in towns and 3 guild quests can be done per week that gives you special tokens to buy things. I don't know how to do those yet but from what I read on the wiki we are gonna let the animal people do it since it is stupid easy for them.

Just /Tell Grith Invite me you stupid rear end in a top hat and I will see what I can do.

I'll probably write a small starter guide for new players later on today.

Thanks.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I would almost suggest a new thread but nothing meaningful has changed and some of the posts in the first two pages are hilarious. I'm still guild lead of the goon guild in game but I haven't logged on in forever. I'd be happy to add anyone and everyone if people cared.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Play more eq

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So lets have a guide for new players.

What this game is and isn't
It is not a modern mmo and does not look good
It is over priced, janky, and fun

If you ever played a mud, this is a mud.

Project gorgon is a classless mmo where a person can learn most of the skills with one character except for druid and lycanthropy of which you may choose one or neither. Both of those skills have a down side so it is ok to choose neither.

So what does this mean. Do you want to be a cow paladin? Sure. Do you want to be a disgusting shaman and play with body parts all day? Yah ok. Do you want to be a necromancer and talk to the dead to learn gender studies? Well, yah of course.

That is project gorgon.

When you start off, you will be on the newbie island called Anagoge Island. You can pretty much just go ahead and mess around but you will be given a guide to tell you what you can do on the island and it is located here.

The island can let you learn unarmed, sword, pyschology, and archery. I'd recommend not touching archery and I'll explain why later.

Your combat bar is a bit weird but you have a primary and secondary bar which you can set up like so.

You will earn experience for any skills used in combat so if you have something on your second bar that you never use, it will take much longer to level up.

Your main goal is to use sword or unarmed and then learn psychology and use any combination on your bar. Unarmed does require to not have a weapon / have an unarmed weapon for a lot of the skills, but some skills like kick don't mind if you have a sword and shield.

While you are trying to learn your skills, kill skeletons on the beach for some gear. Try to get a full set if you can.

Once you are done loving around on the island, you can leave either via a teleport quest or by going through the dungeon in the south west part of the island. If you do the teleport quest, be warned, you can gently caress this up, put in the wrong code, and be teleported to a high level area.

The dungeon is pretty straight forward where you may run into a boss early on or even skip him entirely. Boss loot works like this. First group to tag the boss gets the loot and each person in the group gets their own loot.

If you die, you will be cursed unless you are still dead and haven't respawned when the boss dies. The curse for this boss gives you a big head, makes it so you can't wear helmets, and gives you +5 power or something. You can be uncursed by touching the bosses corpse.

The game has a lot of weird things like that, including diseases. These will show up in the top left and you can mouse over them to figure out what they do or how to cure them.

One of the better curses is -10 inventory slots or everything you say ending up like yoda speech.

If you find a glowing door that you can't get through, go upstairs and read a scroll to find a math problem or just put in 37. There are quite a few things like that in this game where you might have to read. If you don't want to read, just type /wiki anagoge and you will be brought to the wiki for this game and will have mostly up to date info.

The end of this dungeon is a mushroom cave filled with skeletons, a lever to a secret door, and then a spider cave. You can hold ALT to see intractables or turn that on in settings.

You are gonna see your first set of real armor in this spider cave. Each spider can drop it and you will want a full set.

Knowing goons, you have probably picked up every god drat thing and your inventory is full of junk and now you can't pick anything else up.

Lets get weird for a second. Each vendor that you can find will only buy certain things that they would normally sell. The tavern keep will not buy your lovely sword or armor you found on a spider but will probably buy grapes or apples you found.

This means you have to find the vendor who matches what you want to sell. You will learn this pretty fast but vendors come in 3 types.

Specific items
General items, will buy at full price, but has very little money
General items, will buy at a very low price, but has lots of money

I mean these guys have money but it takes 7 days from the time you first sold them an item for it to refresh.

Some npcs will not even deal with you until you become friends with them and doing so may even offer new options for training or storage or increase the amount of money they have.

So storage sucks and some vendors will store items for you but once again, only if they deal in those items. The two general storage npcs you will find in Serbule keep are the bank and marna. Both of these are by the well but they have a limited space.

If you pick up a specific trade, you may have to find someone who wants to store those items.

So how do you know what items to keep? Well everything is useful in this game. There are no trash items. But there are things you probably don't want to bother with.

A good way to check is here.

The recipe tab will even tell you who trains you in it if you hold over an unknown recipe.

Oh you are going to pick up some weird tertiary and secondary skills. Do you like unarmed damage? Well you are gonna need to find meditation pillars to get 1 hour buffs that give combos but take different resources. Would you like an 8 hour buff instead? Find a meditation stool first.

Did you like sword? Time to learn caligraphy.

Story time. I wanted to become a mentalist, so I found the elf in serbule that would train me. Turns out he is a sex crazed, drug addicted elf. You can log out and have sex with him to raise favor, or give him drugs, or give him gems. Once you have enough favor, congrats, you are a mentalist.

But if you want the rest of the mentalisim skills, you are gonna have to go pick mushrooms and hope you hear voices in your head. Then you are gonna have to do this so much you go crazy, find a hidden entrance to a mushroom cave, start speaking to mushrooms, then murdering mushrooms and delivering their hearts to a specific one.

The entire time you are probably making mushroom smoothies to survive on and throwing spore bombs at creatures.

So lets talk about that bar on your left hand side. Only certain things go there.

A lot of trade skills will give you something to put there and some combat skills can go there but probably the most important are first aid and mend armor.

These are heals that work on you and other players but have a chance to consume your items. It will help you solo while you get more armor.

Armor mainly comes in 3 types. Cloth, leather, and metal. Each buffs your basic attack to give you certain stats every 15 seconds when used.

Cloth gives you health, armor, and power
Leather gives you health and power
Metal gives you only armor.

You do not have a large selection of armors at first and most people avoid getting the early armor from goblins or ranalons in serbule hills.

Armor acts as a secondary health pool but every 25 points of armor that you have will reduce incoming damage by 1. So if you had 100 armor, got hit for 50, 25 would go to health, 25 to armor, but it would also be reduced by 4. But now you have 75 armor and the next attack would be reduced by 3.

So now you are probably bored and want to get out of the spider cave. Best thing I can say is to check this list of dungeons http://wiki.projectgorgon.com/wiki/Dungeons or just go out and wander. If you see a creature with a crown in serbule hills, killing more of them will give you some extra combat experience.

At this point you should probably pick an idea of what you want to do and work towards it. By level 20 in any of your skills, you should probably know if you want to keep doing it. There are a lot of side requirements just to maximize one skill and you are going to slowly start figuring that out.

A guild can help and you do get some perks.

Access to guild quests that can be a good source of money for new players.
Guild storage that is shared within the guild and makes trading with guild mates a bit easier.
A chat channel that isn't the global chat channel.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 27, 2018

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I have been leveling up my favor with Joeh. One of his hangouts is decorate for a leather party, upon completing the hangout he got a new one to participate in a leather party. 8 hours later I received the following:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This is the kind of dumb poo poo I love in this game.

So you want to use swords? Ok so this is what you do.

Go get a butcher knife. Butcher everything for meat.

Head to serbule hills and give all the meat to some idiot named sammie on a farm on the west side of the map. Learn calligraphy.

Do calligraphy until you get some decent combos that last for 1 hour. They can last for 8 hours if you have a writing desk but forget that.

Now go to the east side of serbule hills, about mid way, and kill goblins. Try to avoid the goblin camps if you can since you probably can't handle it.

Learn goblinese to 25 from cards they drop. It goes way faster post 15 and is really slow pre 15.

Now that you have goblinese, go to hogan's keep in eltibule, go to the lower level, find a goblin who teaches you your epic attack. He likes sword, +sword equipment, and calligraphy. Use those items to raise his friendship and learn your epic attack.

You can also learn some anti undead stuff from some hobo in serbule but he likes drinks, fancy shoes, and carpentry stuff. Remember those writing desks.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

This is the kind of dumb poo poo I love in this game.

So you want to use swords? Ok so this is what you do. :words:

And that's nothing. The sword skill is easily the most accessible combat skill in the game. The rabbit hole goes much, much deeper than that.

Project Gorgon: We have such sights to show you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I finally figured it out. Eltibule is the Karanas from everquest 1. They even have the dumb giant bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also I need eggs.

I mean the guild needs eggs because apparently all we do is the beast town guild quests.