Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah, running away to another country where you'll be an expat who can't actually influence domestic politics isn't gonna solve anything.

I mean it's different if you're moving because of other reasons but still, c'mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

If you live in the cities or the more progressive areas you will be right at home! The US is extremely culturally mixed with tons of diversity. Come to NY, D.C, San Fran, Chicago, Baltimore and you will love it. Trump and his MAGA fuckers do NOT represent the actual cultured parts of the US.

Remember, Trump lost by 4 million votes but because our electoral system favors racist rural whites and rich white Suburbanites we are hosed politically. :(

This is my point though. I wouldn't have any trouble, but I can't really condone living in a country where the upper levels (and certain lower levels) of government are so actively trying to gently caress over groups of people they don't like.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Casimir Radon posted:

She-Huck could stand to starve a little.

Owns.

But still, lot of people got worked up over masterpiece cakeshop, for good reason, and the restaurant should have served her in my opinion. Even if Sanders is not a protected class, and definitely a garbage human.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Nah, gently caress her

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mods change my name posted:

Nah, gently caress her

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

This is my point though. I wouldn't have any trouble, but I can't really condone living in a country where the upper levels (and certain lower levels) of government are so actively trying to gently caress over groups of people they don't like.

:( yea can’t blame you there, but just know millions of us are trying to fight the good fight and Trump and his brand of fascism doesn’t represent the whole country. They are a minority even if, politically, it doesn’t seem that way.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Nah, gently caress her

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

This is the start of a thread worth a read about how :decorum: and civility get undue and bullshit attention.

https://twitter.com/ztsamudzi/status/1010912185357295619?s=21

The fact that the "Dem lawmaker" was Elijah Cummings kind of weakens the "y'all love white womanhood so much" angle.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nah, gently caress her

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

The fact that the "Dem lawmaker" was Elijah Cummings kind of weakens the "y'all love white womanhood so much" angle.

The thread is better than the intro.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Dance Officer posted:

Owns.

But still, lot of people got worked up over masterpiece cakeshop, for good reason, and the restaurant should have served her in my opinion. Even if Sanders is not a protected class, and definitely a garbage human.

There's a big difference between not serving someone based on an aspect of themselves they were born with, and choosing not to associate with someone because of their prolific association with racists or other shitheads. Huckabee could not be the mouthpiece for the administration tomorrow without any undue hardship, the couple in Colorado could not have just decided to have a straight wedding.

How is it any different than for the restaurant to deny service to the national spokesperson of the KKK (or RAF if you want to cross ideologies) on the basis of their position?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 25, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

didn't the cakeshops right to refuse service to the gay couple just get upheld by the SCOTUS?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There's a big difference between not serving someone based on an aspect of themselves they were born with, and choosing not to associate with someone because of their prolific association with racists or other shitheads. Huckabee could not be the mouthpiece for the administration tomorrow without any undue hardship, the couple in Colorado could not have just decided to have a straight wedding.

How is it any different than for the restaurant to deny service to the national spokesperson of the KKK (or RAF if you want to cross ideologies) on the basis of their position?

To be fair a lot of dumbfucks think dumb beliefs are inseparable from someone's person because admitting an error is inconceivable.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

RFC2324 posted:

didn't the cakeshops right to refuse service to the gay couple just get upheld by the SCOTUS?

Kinda sorta. They sided with the baker over procedural issues by the state of Colorado but declined to rule directly on the underlying issue.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The prohibition was based on Colorado law though too so unless Virginia has something similar...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

and we have to be completely forthcoming about the details when we throw that in someones face because :decorum: right?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

RFC2324 posted:

and we have to be completely forthcoming about the details when we throw that in someones face because :decorum: right?

Interestingly, yes. If the Colorado Civil Rights Commission had shown a bit more decorum*, cake guy may well have lost.

If by decorum, we mean the opposite of "gently caress you, gently caress you, shut up, shutup shutup!"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nah, gently caress her

Dance Officer posted:

Owns.

Nah son i disagree. I just don't consider her people.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dance Officer posted:

Owns.

In a country where we can and do refuse service over dress codes, I’ve no gently caress to give about this particular incident.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Dance Officer posted:

Owns.

Baghdad Betty can go gently caress herself FYI

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dance Officer posted:

Owns.

Being born gay and choosing to be a fascist mouthpiece are not equivalent in any way.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Both side, sedis htoB

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
She-huck is a god drat bridge troll actively aiding in the effort to spread the brain spiders and propaganda of this shitfuck administration, causing untold damage that will take decades to fix if it doesn't push the country over into an irrecoverable tailspin.

Nah, gently caress her

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
She Huck pretends otherwise but the outcry is as easy to explain as it is to understand: her fellow citizens simply can't believe she would behave in such a consistently outrageous and un-American way.

MANAGEMENT RESERVES RIGHT is very American, so it's all good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

They can't just search any old thing within 100 miles of the border. https://www.acluaz.org/sites/default/files/field_documents/aclu_border_rights.pdf

At checkpoints, they can visually inspect the exterior of the car and often have working dogs at checkpoints going up and down the line of cars. They can't just search the interior without a warrant unless they have probable cause through the occupants saying something self-incriminating, the dog hitting on something, or something being left in plane sight, etc.

Must be lovely to be a pothead in the border states god drat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

kinda cracking me up when I drive around New Hampshire and see shitloads of "Live Free or Die" and Gadsden flags etc and now they're running a freaking federal 'papers please' checkpoint up there.

You know that they're to a man the loving "they hate us for our freedoms" crowd. You cannot remotely underestimate the cognitive dissonance of the average american anymore

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know that they're to a man the loving "they hate us for our freedoms" crowd. You cannot remotely underestimate the cognitive dissonance of the average american anymore

Absolutely.

Also lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/donmoyn/...genumber%3D2549

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its okay to deny service to gays, but if you deny an inbred gently caress service, watch out, that's oppression!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

The thread is better than the intro.

Good call, it was.

Also, this thing aside, Elijah Cummings still rules.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

I work in the tourism industry.

We have not been happy.

the real funny thing is that the orange dipshit also worked in the tourism industry before this president gig

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

MRC48B posted:

Fever Dream America, 1954.

ACTUAL America, 1954 had large amounts of government interference in the market, strong banking regulation, strong and popular labor unions, and a President who was competent, humble, and had actual leadership experience.

Like all presidents he had his faults but for the most part I like Ike and he's probably the last republican president I'll admit to respecting. We'll never see his caliber in the white house again. I bet Donny would criticize his military service record, say he could have wrapped the war up sooner if only he'd been in charge.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Milo and POTUS posted:

Like all presidents he had his faults but for the most part I like Ike and he's probably the last republican president I'll admit to respecting. We'll never see his caliber in the white house again. I bet Donny would criticize his military service record, say he could have wrapped the war up sooner if only he'd been in charge.

Don’t gently caress with Ike.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Slow at War, No Hair, Bad For MIC!!!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Elijah Cummings is my congressional representative. He usually runs unopposed.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Certainly.

Ike chose the national highway system over reforming healthcare.

Ike authorized overflights of the soviet union, which led to the gary powers shootdown.

Ike authorized the coups in Iran and Guatemala, and laid the groundwork for Bay of Pigs and Vietnam.

Ike is still the least bad president we've had since both Roosevelts and Lincoln.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nah, gently caress her

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dance Officer posted:

Owns.

I'm starting to see a pattern of posting from you that's going to get you thrown out of here very quickly.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Also,

Nah, gently caress her

Their entire party is composed of people who can dish out punishment but the moment they catch some heat they shrink and start boohooing. gently caress the cowardly lot.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
I was born in 1970 in the UK.

The media kept telling me that the USA was the place to be; it was freedom, it was democracy. It was the qunitissential aspiration for all.

It was all bollocks of course.

However, it would be pretty awesome if we could get that dream back.

Please get well ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MRC48B posted:

Certainly.

Ike chose the national highway system over reforming healthcare.

Ike authorized overflights of the soviet union, which led to the gary powers shootdown.

Ike authorized the coups in Iran and Guatemala, and laid the groundwork for Bay of Pigs and Vietnam.

Ike is still the least bad president we've had since both Roosevelts and Lincoln.

To be honest, while I might not have picked all the same choices he did, these decisions are actually worthy of debate. Should we build a national road network or a healthcare system is a valid social choice. So is sending recon over the USSR when everybody is freaking out over hypothetical missiles. The coups are harder to justify but in the optics of the time... eh...

Separate families or not separate families isn’t worth debating.

• Locked thread