Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Well, good news, I can pass the dreaded Al-Gibra. Bad news, I die because I choose water rather than fermented milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What's that second screenshot there? A ladder? A spinner? Are the mazes finally going to actually be a puzzle in themselves?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What's that second screenshot there? A ladder? A spinner? Are the mazes finally going to actually be a puzzle in themselves?

Given 'down' is a direction option, I believe 'ladder'.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

nweismuller posted:

Given 'down' is a direction option, I believe 'ladder'.

ohgod Ultima flashbacks

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

;)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
That was... kind of anticlimactic. Seems to be a bit of a theme for big end-of-level encounters. Wonder how the game will handle the grand finale.

I will say that for a state-less text adventure game it does a fantastic job of creating the sense of "leveling up."

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Surely we must have chosen the wrong length, since the ladder just barely reached the lip of the tunnel, and our calculations would have put it exactly in the center.

Did we fail to account for the length required to lean it against the tunnel, which we were never told and was likely to be our undoing if we didn't?
(Again it seems the easiest way is to just hold up ladders of about the right size, then drop them against the tunnel to see if it fits.)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I was fully expecting a Layton-esque troll puzzle for the ladders. Oh well.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Straight White Shark posted:

That was... kind of anticlimactic. Seems to be a bit of a theme for big end-of-level encounters. Wonder how the game will handle the grand finale.

I will say that for a state-less text adventure game it does a fantastic job of creating the sense of "leveling up."

You deliver the message to Moraziel, he thanks you for delivering the message and then you take the elevator that connects Moraziel with your home village that was there the entire time.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: Everything Old Is New Again
In which many things we've already seen are seen again, sometimes again again.

We'll be five PoPs deep before we actually encounter non-recycled art, but the third level is mostly new stuff and just being kind of weird. I wonder if they made this stuff early, before Zweigler got in the art for the rest of the level?

Straight White Shark posted:

Yeah, it's a bit weird that we don't even get the thrill of the revolution succeeding like we did in the first level. Would've been nice to at least meet with Hassan again. But we can guess from what we saw in the second level that the Sons of the Desert will claim victory and free their lands now that Aboud can't use the Talisman to magic up army-destroying Dominions-tier powers. For us, alas, the path lies ever deeper into the MadMaze.

Jagged Jim posted:

You deliver the message to Moraziel, he thanks you for delivering the message and then you take the elevator that connects Moraziel with your home village that was there the entire time.
Honestly, I can't speak to the ending just yet (in no small part because it wouldn't make any sense), but it wouldn't be completely out of line if things did happen like that.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Does our talisman let us cast Blizzard or Cone of Cold or Enchant Weapon: Ice Element? Because if it does, that seems to be the way to go. I get the feeling that the first maze of level 3 is to introduce us to the idea that we're wizards now, just like the first maze of level 2 allowed us to start killing things left and right, where we couldn't before.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Something tells me if we ever meet this Rehnstrom fellow on the road, we should kill them. Or at least not trust them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Step 1 of dealing with the snake is to not look directly at it. I don't suppose we have a polished metal shield?

We shouldn't try to attack it unless we've hit it with cold first; I fully expect a magic snake to be a match for a magic sword. I don't see any obvious way of using cold, though, short of taunting the snake into attempting some mountain climbing. So I guess invoking the talisman will be required for that. Thus:

> AVERT EYES
> INVOKE TALISMAN
> USE SWORD ON SNAKE

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
The Sage Tsuris?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
If those are the only choices, I vote for caution. It's dangerous, why be stupid?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'd say evasive, if only because we do need to avoid its gaze.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: A Different Sort Of Snake Charmer
In which we nuke a snake from orbit with our awesome new toy, then try to find a more amicable solution.

I was not expecting that alternate solution until I found it methodically testing everything, I'll tell you that much.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Nakar posted:

Level Three: A Different Sort Of Snake Charmer
In which we nuke a snake from orbit with our awesome new toy, then try to find a more amicable solution.

I was not expecting that alternate solution until I found it methodically testing everything, I'll tell you that much.

Well it’s good for us, not so good for the Terclidae.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I hope our friends in the desert don’t mind a dream snake followed by a swarm of vipers infesting their area. Especially since the thing isn’t going to be content simply basking all day— it eats dreams and needs people to make those dreams to feast on. It’s going to be as bad as that whirlwind was for trade, I can just tell.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Triskelli posted:

Well it’s good for us, not so good for the Terclidae.

Iunnrais posted:

I hope our friends in the desert don’t mind a dream snake followed by a swarm of vipers infesting their area. Especially since the thing isn’t going to be content simply basking all day— it eats dreams and needs people to make those dreams to feast on. It’s going to be as bad as that whirlwind was for trade, I can just tell.
I mean, both valid points, but counterpoint: We don't care about that anymore, we're on the third level now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
We're going to make the third level of the Maze a paradise...by shunting all the nasty crap in it to the first two levels.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love this game's sense of humour.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: Trouble Brewing
In which we reveal the extent to which we have become the bourgeoisie, then go play in the mudholes.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Wait..if only someone with the Talisman/Amulet/Magic Doohicky can go to level 3.....how did the previous people get there?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Nakar posted:

Level Three: Trouble Brewing
In which we reveal the extent to which we have become the bourgeoisie, then go play in the mudholes.

Nasty puzzle here.

We have five geysers B, J, M, O, S, and lengths 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

We are given three patterns that have to be fit here: B 3 J, M 1, and 4 O. (Rules 4, 5, 6)

The M 1 and 4 O patterns cannot overlap because that would make Old Irregular have a one minute pause, which is not permitted. (Rule 3)

The M cannot be between B and J because J's wait also cannot be 1. (Rule 3)

The O cannot be between B and J because B's wait would then be 4 minutes, which is also not permitted. (Rule 2)

That means the only possible order is M B S J O, with in turn means Spittoon is 3 minutes, Bad Bob is 1 minute, and Jezebel is 4 minutes.

Morgenstern does not have a 2 minute wait (Rule 1) so only 5 minutes is left, which means Old Irregular must have the 2 minute weight.

Final order: Morgenstern, Bad Bob, Spittoon, Jezebel, Old Irregular.
Final waits: 5, 1, 3, 4, 2.

Edit: fixed some fat-fingered notation.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 25, 2018

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

ManxomeBromide posted:

Final order: Morgenstern, Bad Bob, Spittoon, Jezebel, Old Irregular.
Final waits: 5, 1, 3, 4, 2.

This is one of those that I think probably gets much easier with a grid; I didn't take the time to draw one out myself and I kind of shortcutted in my logic mentally a few times I didn't bother to write out in my notetaking so it's not quite worth putting up my details, but this matches the result I got.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

ArashiKurobara posted:

This is one of those that I think probably gets much easier with a grid; I didn't take the time to draw one out myself and I kind of shortcutted in my logic mentally a few times I didn't bother to write out in my notetaking so it's not quite worth putting up my details, but this matches the result I got.

I started with a grid but the ordering requirements confounded my gridding. In particular, no explicitly stated rules constrain Spittoon at all. Maybe I picked the wrong axes.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

ManxomeBromide posted:

I started with a grid but the ordering requirements confounded my gridding. In particular, no explicitly stated rules constrain Spittoon at all. Maybe I picked the wrong axes.

It's not uncommon for one of the items to only be mentioned in the description in those sorts of puzzles, but yeah I started doing one just to see and the overlapping ordering requirements in clues 4-6 are too key to the puzzle and don't really work well in that format.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

ArashiKurobara posted:

It's not uncommon for one of the items to only be mentioned in the description in those sorts of puzzles, but yeah I started doing one just to see and the overlapping ordering requirements in clues 4-6 are too key to the puzzle and don't really work well in that format.

You can do it with a grid but you have to use parts of multiple clues at once to make it work, which makes it less efficient than you might think. For example, after marking everything obvious, the next thing I did was try to combine 4 and 5. 5 says three of the geysers go Bad Bob-3 minutes-Jezebel, and 4 says Old Irregular comes after the 4 minute geyser. However, due to clue 2 I'd already marked that Bad Bob can't be four minutes, which means Old Irregular can't fit in the middle there and therefore can't be three minutes. That left only Spitoon and Morgenstern for three minutes, and I had to do a couple other multi-clue combinations from there. Oddly, despite having no information about Spittoon in the actual clues, the fact that it's the three minute geyser was the first bit I proved.

For the record, my grid eventually came out with the same answer ManxomeBromide got.

Yakumo fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 25, 2018

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The typical grid doesn't really help much here.

The key requirements are the ordering ones. #5 gives us 3 in sequence, and #4 and #6 give us two in sequence. Since there are only five, these must overlap somehow.

We have the patterns
pre:
[spoiler]
M_ (#4) _O(#6) B_J(#5)
_1 4_ _3_

Pattern 4 and 6 cannot overlap each other, since that would give Old Irregular a 1' wait (#3).
So one of them must overlap with Pattern 5. We'll try to match with the start of Pattern 5.
Pattern 6 cannot overlap with the start of 5 as it would give Big Bob a wait of 4 minutes, which is too long (#2).

Therefore Pattern 4 must overlap with 5 at the start; Pattern 6 overlaps with it at the end.

That yields
pre:

MBSJO
_134_
The remaining times are 2' and 5'; Morgenstern cannot have a 2' wait so it must be 5'. The final order is:

pre:

MBSJO
This satisfies all requirements and thus we need to wait 5 minutes.
[/spoiler]
Those extra spoiler tags appear to be necessary to spoiler preformatted text?

Kangra fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 25, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
If I read this correctly, we can cross each geyser at a time then wait for the next one to blow before crossing it right?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: Out Of The Geyser And Into The Fire
In which someone else does the hard work for me, then we get to play wizard for a good cause at last.

Thanks to ManxomeBromide and Kangra for the explanations. This really is a tricky one and a hell of a sucker punch given that the preceding puzzles in this game weren't this chunky. Even the Al-Gibra starts looking easy, honestly. And this is not the worst logic problem in the game, yet somehow it's one of the harder to work out because of the issue that people have pointed out about it frustrating a grid.

Palladium posted:

If I read this correctly, we can cross each geyser at a time then wait for the next one to blow before crossing it right?
It's pretty much an abstraction for puzzle purposes, as when you sit down and think about it none of this makes any sense:
  • The peasant can remember all these obscure logic facts about the geyser orders but can't just remember the actual order? Did his pappy torment him with Random Geyser Trivia his entire life?
  • Are we standing on top of (or otherwise within the kill range of) the previous geyser as we wait to run across the next? If so we should be dead after Bad Bob, as it'll blow while we're waiting on Spitoon. If we're not, why can't we just wait for as long as we need, meaning the wait times are completely irrelevant?
  • How the hell did the peasant's pappy manage to get a bunch of grain across the mudholes and geysers to sell it the next town over? It seems like it'd be really hard to get a bunch of sacks (or an ox) across and back when Bad Bob's going off once a minute.
  • Why is it called Old Irregular when it erupts every 2 minutes on the dot?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bet it's a grease fire, try using cold magic instead of water.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 25, 2018

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nakar posted:

• Why is it called Old Irregular when it erupts every 2 minutes on the dot?
You mean two minutes after we arrive at it, right? It could be going off every 15 minutes.

And we need to wait a specific amount of time at the first geyser, when we could've arrived at any point in the cycle.

Also we can't use the Talisman, which includes "Time" in the list of things we can do with it, to affect this timing puzzle at all...

As for the inn: Perhaps we could use Time to turn it back to before it lit on fire?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Let's use air to blow out the fire! That works, right?

I figured the geyser thing works basically like this: There seems to be semi-safe areas between the geysers, but at some point you must cross over the geyser. If you go at the wrong time it sets off the geyser (for no really good reason). The 'wait' time determines a safe pattern, but it is timed on the eruption of the first one. That is, once Morgenstern stops, you must wait, cross, wait, cross, etc. It doesn't mean that's the period when those geysers necessarily erupt, though they do go on a regular cycle. It would seem then that maybe you could find another pattern if you stopped in the middle, but this is the one that people recall in cryptic clues.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I was also worried about some kinda greasy origins for the fire. Hopefully some creative use of Air magic would suck it out of the inferno instead of sending more in...

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Zereth posted:

Also we can't use the Talisman, which includes "Time" in the list of things we can do with it, to affect this timing puzzle at all...
That's......................... an excellent point, actually. Repeatedly in later PoPs we can use the Talisman to stop time. We could easily have just stopped time and run across the geysers, but the game doesn't let us.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Or maybe Time to set the inn back to pre being on fire condition?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nakar posted:

That's......................... an excellent point, actually. Repeatedly in later PoPs we can use the Talisman to stop time. We could easily have just stopped time and run across the geysers, but the game doesn't let us.
See, I didn't actually know what we could do with Time, but even slowing things down a little would've helped. If we can stop it entirely, well. :orks:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
As we will see, the Talisman's powers are ill-defined and often do whatever the narrative says they should be able to do. Against the Dream Serpent, Time appeared to attempt to decay or age it, but in most encounters it will slow or freeze time for everyone but our hero. Similarly, in most instances using an element will summon said element, but occasionally it will allow for control over that element.

Also sometimes the Talisman will just refuse to do anything because it's in a bad mood, or will do a random thing that's specifically what we needed done (like activating the flying carpet, or neutralizing the snake poison).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Obviously the answer is Fire! It can't spread if there's nothing left to burn. :pseudo:

• Locked thread