Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

All I want for AC switch is super easy multiplayer, hell I want my town or city to be accessible when I'm offline, I want my towns seasons to be geography locked, I wanna take a in game flight to visit AC players in Japan to see a season early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

All I want for AC switch is super easy multiplayer, hell I want my town or city to be accessible when I'm offline, I want my towns seasons to be geography locked, I wanna take a in game flight to visit AC players in Japan to see a season early.
Wait, how do you think seasons work?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Crypt of the Necrodancer is ruining me. I'm yet to beat Zone 2. Red dragons suck too. I did the training Codex for them but in the heat of the moment that goes out the window

Game still owns though. Big fan of the unexpected rap on the mole boss

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Eiba posted:

Wait, how do you think seasons work?

In video games? Any way they want.
I want there to be an incentive beyond some fruit to visit other countries.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm being patient while waiting for the new AC, but it definitely feels like it should have come sooner. I haven't heard any confirmation, but I feel like they were working on one for Wii U. They made all those HD assets and amiibo for the board game. It stank of a half assed reuse for them while they reshuffled development for Switch once the writing was on the wall for Wii U.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I'll visit your town and drop the item that bricks your cart, nerd.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm being patient while waiting for the new AC, but it definitely feels like it should have come sooner. I haven't heard any confirmation, but I feel like they were working on one for Wii U. They made all those HD assets and amiibo for the board game. It stank of a half assed reuse for them while they reshuffled development for Switch once the writing was on the wall for Wii U.

Yeah, that was my theory at first too. But I guess not, I guess they really did think that an Animal Crossing board game game would move as many Amiibos as Smash

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only thing that could disappoint me about Animal Crossing Switch was it they kept the awful rolling camera.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeANMcBAY posted:

The only thing that could disappoint me about Animal Crossing Switch was it they kept the awful rolling camera.

Dude, the camera doesn't move. The world rolls.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Guy Goodbody posted:

:barf:

Pocket Camp doesn’t have it to the same extent so there’s hope.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 25, 2018

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

In video games? Any way they want.
I want there to be an incentive beyond some fruit to visit other countries.
Didn't mean to be so snarky, but Japan has the same seasons as North America and Europe. Part of the fun is experiencing the real seasons pass in the game, so making fantasy seasons misses the point, to me at least.

Inverse seasons for the Southern Hemisphere would be pretty cool though. Being able to chose your "latitude" with equatorial to arctic seasons represented (or equatorial to "somewhat colder than default temperate" to be more reasonable) is a totally implausible fantasy that nevertheless sounds neat to me.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Guy Goodbody posted:

I like how Animal Crossing satisfies both sides on the flat earth debate.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s one of the best things about the series.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Stardew Valley dropped my desire for animal crossing waaaaay down. It was great when I was in college and could fish at 2:30 pm or whatever, but the real-time aspect doesn’t work so well when you have adult stuff to do. But stardew doesn’t suffer from that, and has fishing and a museum. If it had KK Slider it’d be perfect.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I understand what some of you are saying but none of the “requirements” in Animal Crossing really matter unless you’re doing a 100% completionist playthrough. You don’t have to do that and when you embrace it the game gets so much better. It’s supposed to be relaxing and fun. If you’re frustrated about the time constraints just don’t worry about them. Your town will still be just as awesome.

Monitor
Dec 28, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I understand what some of you are saying but none of the “requirements” in Animal Crossing really matter unless you’re doing a 100% completionist playthrough. You don’t have to do that and when you embrace it the game gets so much better. It’s supposed to be relaxing and fun. If you’re frustrated about the time constraints just don’t worry about them. Your town will still be just as awesome.

Nah, shops not being open at certain times suck if you just have a schedule that doesn't facilitate those. I love Animal Crossing, but the real time stuff bites at times, and even the minor punishments for not checking in daily or even weekly takes away some of the relaxing vibe. It's also a game that if you have a lot of time to play on a certain day, you actually sometimes can't really accomplish much. It could definitely be improved, but the house building, animal friendos, and just general vibe carry the game past those minor bumps for me at least

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They added options in New Leaf to keep shops open late/open early.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They added options in New Leaf to keep shops open late/open early.

Yeah, that was really cool. Hopefully in the next one you can enact more than one ordinance (as long as they don't conflict.)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Eiba posted:

Didn't mean to be so snarky, but Japan has the same seasons as North America and Europe. Part of the fun is experiencing the real seasons pass in the game, so making fantasy seasons misses the point, to me at least.

Inverse seasons for the Southern Hemisphere would be pretty cool though. Being able to chose your "latitude" with equatorial to arctic seasons represented (or equatorial to "somewhat colder than default temperate" to be more reasonable) is a totally implausible fantasy that nevertheless sounds neat to me.

Also giant fan of the music from whence your avatar came from. But yeah I would love to more than everyones on the same seasonal path and biome.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Kilometers Davis posted:

When you just flat-out can't do certain activities ever because your schedule doesn't allow for it, that definitely kills some of the fun, and since it's not multiplayer-oriented the restriction feels more artificial and stings more.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Monitor posted:

Nah, shops not being open at certain times suck if you just have a schedule that doesn't facilitate those. I love Animal Crossing, but the real time stuff bites at times, and even the minor punishments for not checking in daily or even weekly takes away some of the relaxing vibe. It's also a game that if you have a lot of time to play on a certain day, you actually sometimes can't really accomplish much. It could definitely be improved, but the house building, animal friendos, and just general vibe carry the game past those minor bumps for me at least

just set your 3ds clock a few hours ahead or behind to something that fits your schedule, that's what I've done for years

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
All they would need to do is add a couple questions on the opening bus ride. "Do you prefer the cold, the heat, or something in the middle?" and "Are you a night owl, an early riser, or in between?" and boom, you'd have different towns tailored to every player's individual tastes right off the bat

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Junkie Disease posted:

Are you talking about someone being able to access your town if your gate isn't open? New Leaf had something close with the Dream Suite.

Also I know it comes up a lot with a few different games, but AC could definitely benefit with a BOTW treatment. There were times when I was just collecting poo poo in BOTW that started scratching my AC itch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are you talking about someone being able to access your town if your gate isn't open? New Leaf had something close with the Dream Suite.

Also I know it comes up a lot with a few different games, but AC could definitely benefit with a BOTW treatment. There were times when I was just collecting poo poo in BOTW that started scratching my AC itch.

yes they did. i'm just hoping for QoL improvements and let me do a large town cooperatively online

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Looper posted:

just set your 3ds clock a few hours ahead or behind to something that fits your schedule, that's what I've done for years

Or they could just let people play the game when they want without loving with system settings.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

Or they could just let people play the game when they want without loving with system settings.

Animals gotta sleep, bro.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hollow Knight:

Are you loving kidding me with this bank?!

God drat it.

Monitor
Dec 28, 2010

Rolo posted:

Hollow Knight:

God drat it.

If you know where the pleasure house is, go give that a look. But yeah, my heart dropped when I walked into that room and saw that.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Smh if you didn't at least lol irl when the sign falls as you leave

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Hollow Knight:

God drat it.

Happened to me last night. Head to City of Tears and bring a simple key.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Looper posted:

Yeah... I did this so stuff aligned with my morning commute

I liked New Lead (somehow got it for free, forget how) but got bored with it after 50 hours. How is each iteration of AC different than the last that is makes it so desired? Like, I understand wanting a new Mario Kart for new tracks. But what would change in the next Animal Crossing to make someone want to pick it up if they have New Leaf?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Rolo posted:

Hollow Knight:

God drat it.

hmm this is disconcerting

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astro7x posted:

Yeah... I did this so stuff aligned with my morning commute

I liked New Lead (somehow got it for free, forget how) but got bored with it after 50 hours. How is each iteration of AC different than the last that is makes it so desired? Like, I understand wanting a new Mario Kart for new tracks. But what would change in the next Animal Crossing to make someone want to pick it up if they have New Leaf?

Dude. New Leaf was the first Animal Crossing that let you design your own pants. There are legitimate criticisms to make of the series, but "lack of innovation between titles" is not one of them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dude. New Leaf was the first Animal Crossing that let you design your own pants. There are legitimate criticisms to make of the series, but "lack of innovation between titles" is not one of them.

No New Leaf was the first one that allowed you to wear different pants, you couldn't design your own unfortunately.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

They’re probably saving AC for next holiday season.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The chill feelings come in part from daily routines. Certain things happen at certain times of day. This is limiting, yes, but regular and comforting.

Also, you can change the time in game, so you don't need your system time to be hosed up to adjust the game to your schedule.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Eiba posted:

The chill feelings come in part from daily routines. Certain things happen at certain times of day. This is limiting, yes, but regular and comforting.

Also, you can change the time in game, so you don't need your system time to be hosed up to adjust the game to your schedule.

Exactly. Many people overlook that and it’s an essential part of Animal Crossing.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

didn’t realize the world of Animal Crossing ran on a dark matter engine.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Mario tennis sucks unless you like not playing tennis l, is there any other games of interest out for this coffin

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

why would they make games for a coffin?

• Locked thread