Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I know a guy too, and that guy would be me. :p. Stupid ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Does anyone have a good website for buying 6mm scale terrain? Specifically a place that's based out of North America, since pretty much every website seems to be in the UK so the shipping costs are pretty rough.

Gamecraft has a pretty good range, in resin and acrylic and matte board depending on how much you want to shell out. Good quality, and you get hard candies with every purchase!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Southern Heel posted:

Any UK/EU goons want my 15mm ww2 scenery and CoC books, tokens, dice for the price of postage and a couple of.pints? Prob £20 in UK or £25 in EU.

A dozen french lasercut buildings, assembled and part painted, loads of dirt and gravel roads, and lots of hedges.

HMMMM. PM me the picture of the contents, see if you can break my heart.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

Any UK/EU goons want my 15mm ww2 scenery and CoC books, tokens, dice for the price of postage and a couple of.pints? Prob £20 in UK or £25 in EU.

A dozen french lasercut buildings, assembled and part painted, loads of dirt and gravel roads, and lots of hedges.

I'll take it off your hands. I'll pm you

Efb

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Maybe we can split? I don't need the terrain at all!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Maybe we can split? I don't need the terrain at all!

Well, I'm also mostly looking for the book and stuff, but hedges and roads would be cool too. I'm not interested in the buildings at all, honestly.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Fish and Chimps posted:

Well, I'm also mostly looking for the book and stuff, but hedges and roads would be cool too. I'm not interested in the buildings at all, honestly.

Take it all, then, I shouldn't be spending this money anyways!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Take it all, then, I shouldn't be spending this money anyways!

Thanks, if you're absolutely certain.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I fired off a PM this morning, but I'm mostly interested in the buildings, so If splitting is an option, then that could work.

I'm not that fussed though if it's easier to send one or you want the lot.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Fish and Chimps posted:

Thanks, if you're absolutely certain.

Ya, I'm certain ;)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fish and Chimps posted:

If you don't want the buildings, I'm in dire need of 15mm buildings.

e: just saw Gray Hunter called dibs on the buildings, nevermind

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 25, 2018

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm only interested in roads, hedges and all the CoC-stuff :forkbomb:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Alright dudes, Grey Hunter has first dibs, then Zokie, then Fish, then WowChamp. I don't want to split, so whoever wants to take the lot.

For those asking for more pictures, it's basically the terrain you see here (minus trees) I can post the fields (i.e. cut up floormats) too: https://imgur.com/a/WeDzvts

I couldn't get anyone local to pick it up, and only managed a couple of games. They were super fun and I enjoyed them alot, but I can't support it alone, without a single buy-in from opponents :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You know, one of the things I did not expect about the UK is wandering into a random Waterstones and finding Force on Force supplements stocked with the other Osprey books. That's all kinds of awesome.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I've fallen in love with tabletop simulator lately, and I've been working on some AWI mods.

Here is the first effort, a 3D version of command and colors tricorne.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1423561089

I took the basic AWI models available on the workshop and reworked them extensively.

I think my next project will be 7YW/AWI/Napoleonic Sharp Practice 2.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Finished up painting 4 beginner tanks for WaT. Only need decals and varnish.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Fish and Chimps posted:

gently caress yea

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It is to my eternal shame that I don't get my rear end to play ASL on TTS.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Giant Ethicist posted:

Gamecraft has a pretty good range, in resin and acrylic and matte board depending on how much you want to shell out. Good quality, and you get hard candies with every purchase!

Free hard candy!? Heck yeah

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Fish and Chimps posted:

Is that two zveda and two battlefront 15mm tanks?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fish and Chimps posted:

They look great!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Thundercloud posted:

Is that two zveda and two battlefront 15mm tanks?

The back left is a PSC A9 Cruiser Mk 1, I just put together a box of them myself

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thanks! It's a single (terrible) resin Battlefront 35(t), a PSC A9 Cruiser and a Zvezda Pz.4 and A13.

The UK camo is dead wrong, especially on the A13, but I love the look of the sepia wash over the light green camo stripes. Maybe I'll try out a watered down green wash for the Valentine.

This morning I had a chance to experiment further with painting Danish M/84 infantry camo in 6mm, after my less than stellar first attempt.

For reference, this is the real thing:

Here is my attempt:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Good enough for that scale man.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Good enough for that scale man.

My thoughts exactly

Edit: finished three more guys and got my mdf bases today, so I can get a feel for the spacing

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 27, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

You're painting that camouflage in 6mm scale?

Man, I wouldn't even attempt that. Your results are excellent given that you're trying to paint tiny pixels on a grain of rice.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

You're painting that camouflage in 6mm scale?

Man, I wouldn't even attempt that. Your results are excellent given that you're trying to paint tiny pixels on a grain of rice.

An approximation at least. It's actually surprisingly easy, since you can get away with painting so few details. I really just put a bunch of random grey and green dots on top of the base coat and wash combo. The challenging bit is the different colours on the rifles!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
So I introduced a couple of my "wargames-curious" co-workers to Chain of Command this past weekend. They both really dug it, and I think at least one of them is going to jump in with both feet.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I may have wound up going on a wild hunt for 1/56 scale paper panzers for this Bolt Action Red German army to use as proxies for their historical counterparts. Turns out that Maus aside, they're surprisingly thin on the ground, at least in 28mm scale.

Perhaps for optimal Wehraboo tears, I should use Soviet minis and german rules. I mean, Glantz noted that by the end of the war the Soviets & Germans had effectively swapped roles from Barbarossa.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Finally played a game of Saga v2, Normans vs Anglo-Danes.

It's pretty good! I like how they've simplified charging into combat and shooting - It helps the game flow better without removing any meaningful complexity. I particularly like how very small units no longer contribute Saga dice - Hunting down warrior units hiding in a forest with two dudes remaining wasn't a lot of fun.

The battleboard overhauls are also cool and good. Normans were kind of flaccid in v1, but in v2 they're absolute monsters.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I have Saga 1. Is Saga 2 worth the money?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

Normans were kind of flaccid in v1, but in v2 they're absolute monsters.
Can you explain it in a way that doesn't sound like "inferior faction is now OP"?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Played against TY Brits yesterday, first game with the army I put together. 7 chieftains (stillbrew HQ), 2 small infantry platoons without milans, 2 squadrons of scorpions, and a pair of blowpipes. I had 10 t-64s, a small bmp-1 infantry platoon, 3 bmp-2 recon, 4 brdm-2 , 3 spandrels, 4 shilkas.

I just was not able to shift his infantry off of his objectives. The shilkas, BMP-1s, and BRDMs pounding away on one platoon for 2 turns killed 3 stands of infantry. Spandrels killed a chieftain and caused a bail on another, and the t-64s finished that platoon off and his HQ which was nice, but a chieftain platoon rolled onto the table from reserves, 3 shots, rolling the turret for all 3 getting him side armor instead of front armor, 3 dead t-64s to wipe one of my platoons out and that was the beginning of the end. My light vehicles got wrecked by scorpions coming out of reserves, though the shilkas did demolish one squadron of them.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Well you took kharkovite trash heaps instead of strong product of proud uralvagonzavod tank factory so no surprise there.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

chutche2 posted:

Played against TY Brits yesterday, first game with the army I put together. 7 chieftains (stillbrew HQ), 2 small infantry platoons without milans, 2 squadrons of scorpions, and a pair of blowpipes. I had 10 t-64s, a small bmp-1 infantry platoon, 3 bmp-2 recon, 4 brdm-2 , 3 spandrels, 4 shilkas.

I just was not able to shift his infantry off of his objectives. The shilkas, BMP-1s, and BRDMs pounding away on one platoon for 2 turns killed 3 stands of infantry. Spandrels killed a chieftain and caused a bail on another, and the t-64s finished that platoon off and his HQ which was nice, but a chieftain platoon rolled onto the table from reserves, 3 shots, rolling the turret for all 3 getting him side armor instead of front armor, 3 dead t-64s to wipe one of my platoons out and that was the beginning of the end. My light vehicles got wrecked by scorpions coming out of reserves, though the shilkas did demolish one squadron of them.

This is by and large how games against brits go in TY, yeah. You can wipe the rest of their army and they'll still force a draw because british infantry remain a credible threat that will not die. They're like 12 points for a platoon? And they can easily hold up 30-40ish points of tanks.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cessna posted:

PM me and see for yourself.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Local retailer has 50% off on selected Warlord sets.

Gonna get even more Fallschirmjägers to paint this summer.

:coolfish:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cessna posted:

Only one game in, but imo, yes. The rules changes are cool and good, mostly consisting of simplifying some things that were needlessly complex. The real meat is in the battleboards though, which they overhauled completely.

The BB overhaul both addressed balance issues (all the first wave factions had kind of fallen to the wayside due to power creep in later expansions), but also to sharpen the theme and focus the playstyle of each faction.

In V1 the factions got more interesting and well designed as the expansions progressed, and by comparison the initial factions felt more sophomoric and dull. These factions are now brought up to par.

Pierzak posted:

Can you explain it in a way that doesn't sound like "inferior faction is now OP"?

I haven't played enough to evaluate if they're balanced yet, but their expensive 2 dice abilities all now also activate the unit you use it on (i.e, activate a unit of cavalry to charge, they then get so and so bonus during the combat). Their cavalry are now worth a drat - Their charges are terrifying now. However, all of their combat abilities require them to be the attacker, so if the enemy can pin them in place, they're hosed.

Their playstyle is to use their superior bowmen to draw the enemy in, and then counterattack with their cavalry's powerful charges.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

chutche2 posted:

You want to cut down on the number of MBTs and get a large BMP-2 or BTR-60 infantry company. T-64s are pretty good, but against dug-in infantry they just don't have the volume of fire needed. British infantry in particular are a pain in the rear end because assaulting them is hopeless, so you have to rely on sheer volume of fire, which BMP-2s and BTR-60s are really good at.

I don't really see the point of BMP-1 infantry - They aren't significantly cheaper than BMP-2s, but their ATGM is worthless against MBTs, and the cheaper BMP-60 is better against both infantry and light vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
BMP-1s are decent as independent recon, and have a unique role as Observation Posts for arty spotting