Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

chutche2 posted:

You should model a servitor with a rag polishing the knight.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Well following Booley with my potato phone pics. More hive fleet Working Title nids

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

For gently caress’s sake Booley. :smithicide:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Agentdark posted:

Is it worth it to get Aggressors and Reivers for Fortis Kill Teams?

I'd say Aggressors yes, Reivers no.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

PaintVagrant posted:

Well following Booley with my potato phone pics. More hive fleet Working Title nids

objectively even with casual phone pics I can tell these are just as awesome as that knight, subjectively I like them a lot more

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think Reivers are solid on their own, tbh. Special issue ammo on their bolt pistols is a nice threat, especially once they're in combat.

I've played a couple games with them and found that sending them after back-line heavy support is pretty effective. Plus I personally love their comically-huge knives

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Reivers are okay, don’t bother with their assault guns though, stick with the pistols. I’ve run 5 of them in 10 man fortis teams that were combat squadded and deepstruck the reivers for scoring backfield units. Remember that enemies in multiple floor buildings reduce your deepstrike range by 3” per floor and you ignore height with the grapple guns. So you can deepstrike in 3-6” away depending which floor they’re on but then charge in without worrying about floors for easy assaults on guys hiding in buildings.

Aggressors are just great.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm considering selling my beastmen (they are collecting dust) and I have no idea what to ask for them.

Ghorgon (Imperial Knight) https://imgur.com/a/dSQt9HH
Shaman (psyker), Nork, Bullgryns https://imgur.com/a/S7aFUbG
Wargors (Scions) https://imgur.com/a/1OJCdwH
Centaurs (Rough Riders) https://imgur.com/a/qQe0fEG
Gors (Guardsmen) https://imgur.com/a/hg6ypE1
Vehicles https://imgur.com/a/DufwDmJ

comes also with an 8th ed codex, Beastlord, and converted Commissar. Not sure on the points.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm considering selling my beastmen (they are collecting dust) and I have no idea what to ask for them.

Ghorgon (Imperial Knight) https://imgur.com/a/dSQt9HH
Shaman (psyker), Nork, Bullgryns https://imgur.com/a/S7aFUbG
Wargors (Scions) https://imgur.com/a/1OJCdwH
Centaurs (Rough Riders) https://imgur.com/a/qQe0fEG
Gors (Guardsmen) https://imgur.com/a/hg6ypE1
Vehicles https://imgur.com/a/DufwDmJ

comes also with an 8th ed codex, Beastlord, and converted Commissar. Not sure on the points.

Please don't sell this army. You obviously put such a huge amount of love into creating it that it would break my goon heart to see you get rid of it. I'm sure you'd end up regretting it down the road too because it's just so incredibly good.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Pendent posted:

Please don't sell this army. You obviously put such a huge amount of love into creating it that it would break my goon heart to see you get rid of it. I'm sure you'd end up regretting it down the road too because it's just so incredibly good.

Thanks- but why? I mean the fun part is making it. After that what?

I’m just thinking it over for now.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Badablack posted:

Reivers are okay, don’t bother with their assault guns though, stick with the pistols. I’ve run 5 of them in 10 man fortis teams that were combat squadded and deepstruck the reivers for scoring backfield units. Remember that enemies in multiple floor buildings reduce your deepstrike range by 3” per floor and you ignore height with the grapple guns. So you can deepstrike in 3-6” away depending which floor they’re on but then charge in without worrying about floors for easy assaults on guys hiding in buildings.

Do you equip them with grav-chutes and grapple guns?

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I’ve sold a couple really heavily converted armies, and yeah like Legos it’s making the army that’s the fun part. I’ll never sell them to random eBay bidders though, it’s always been to someone who is genuinely excited to use it and isn’t just trying to pick up cheap lots to resell on the sly. It’s cool to see what people do with what you’ve made, and how they end up painting it up (better than I could). I try to stay in contact with them or follow them on their instafacebookgur accounts to watch their progress.

Plus gotta make money to waste money.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Do you equip them with grav-chutes and grapple guns?

The kill team reivers can’t take grav chutes, only the elite slot versions. Also, depending on rules interpretations and possible FAQs you might end up needing to burn a CP to deepstrike them, since while both killteam and elite slot versions of reivers can take the launchers, the elite slot version’s rules blurb is the one that says they can deepstrike if they’re all equipped with them. Which I would assume works on the other version too but I’m not a GW writer so who knows.

Badablack fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 25, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

objectively even with casual phone pics I can tell these are just as awesome as that knight, subjectively I like them a lot more

Thanks! I feel like I have captured the proper balance between fast to paint and decent looking.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

You gonna do any armigers in that red?

Also, are you doing the transfers on the underlying metal and then applying the candy over top?

Yes, my next thing will be either a third knight or some armigers.

Transfers go on last.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
:siren:B-B-BATTLE REPORT:siren:

Fellow goon and all-around great guy Merton Blask came over today to play a game of 40k and help me practice for NoVA. 2,000 points, NoVA rules, playing the first round NoVA mission (Crusade).

My Army:

Warlord: Abaddon
Detachments: 2 (2 Battalions)
Total CP: 15
2 squads x 20 cultists
4 squads x 5 chaos marines (1 plasma each)
1 squad of Raptors w/MoK, icon
Chaos Lord w/Murdersword, MoK, Jump Pack <--- the Chaos Lord carved the name of Blask's Cryptek into the sword's blade before the game
2x Sorcerer w/MoS (1 has the Eye of Night)
Rhino full of Berserkers w/Chainaxe
Fire Raptor
140 points for summoning

Merton Blask's Army:

Warlord: Some idiot Cryptek w/Surfboard
Detachments: 2 (Battalion + something else I think)
Total CP: 9
Szeras
Command Barge
Necron Lord
Triarch Stalker
2x Scarab squads
2x Tesseract Ark
1 squad of 6 Destroyers
1 squad of 19 Warriors
2x Squads of 5 Tesla Immortals

The Game:
Crusade is pretty straightforward - standard terrain + objective deployment, as shown below. I kind of like the NoVA terrain layout, and was glad I'd gotten some hills recently. The way the mission works, you score objectives held at the end of every turn, plus you pick three secondary objectives from a list before the game, and can score up to 12 points from those. There's also some stuff about engineers that I didn't really do anything with. I'm not sure how important it is. My secondary objectives were: Old School (+1 point each for killing a unit T1, on T6, slay the warlord, and linebreaker), Moment of Bloodshed (+1 VP when you kill 2+ units in a turn), and Marked for Death (pick 4 units, score 1 VP for each one killed. I picked Szeras, the Cryptek Warlord, and the two squads of Immortals). Blask took Moment of Bloodshed, Reconnaissance (+1 VP for having a unit wholly within each table quarter at the end of a turn), and Strike the Rank and File (+1 VP for each turn where an enemy troop was killed or +1 point if none were on the table).

Deployment was along the long table edges, up to 12" in. I won the roll for deployment, and decided to deploy second, having 1 unit fewer than Merton Blask, which helped me go first as well.

Highlights
- The Fire Raptor put in some work, opening on T1 by using its Prescience boost to house Blask's Catacomb Command Barge. Unfortunately, the Barge promptly stood right back up with 1 wound (though I still got the point, so that helped), gained another 2 at the start of his turn, and charged right into the Fire Raptor in close combat! The Raptor survived, but would later get shot down by the Triarch Stalker after switching to Hover mode to take out a squad of Warriors.

- Specifically, this squad of warriors, who Merton Blask dropped right behind me on his T1 using the Veil of Darkness. They caught me by surprise, but didn't do much and get blown off the board by an Avenger Bolt Cannon.

- The Cultists put in some real work capping objectives and being ignored, while using VotLW to cause extra wounds when it was least convenient for Blask. They also killed the squads of Scarabs.

- Blask's LED army is extremely pretty. It almost made me sad that I spent most of the game ignoring these beautiful Tesseract Arks, but I got over it because they're a pain in the rear end to deal with and I was able to kill almost everything else.

- My plan was to run the Berserker Rhino up the flank and use them to wipe out the Immortals. This mostly worked, as I was able to avoid being surrounded early on by Scarabs, then when the Rhino was blown up by a Triarch Stalker, the Berserkers were able to get out with only two losses and still make it into combat with both Immortal squads. I got in two awful rounds of combat and decided to spend the 3CP to get a third, which helped wipe one out and set me up to destroy the other the following turn. That scored me +2 VP

- I perils'd twice in the same turn trying to Smite Merton's Necron Warriors. Rolled boxcars both times, lost 3W on one sorcerer and 2 on the other.

- I dropped Abaddon, the Jump Pack Chaos Lord, and the Raptors on T2. I put the Raptors and Chaos Lord behind Merton, hoping to kill his Cryptek/Warlord with them. Except I missed the charge with the Chaos Lord, didn't kill the Cryptek with my raptors, and spent the next 3 turns chasing him around. Abaddon I dropped into my 3 MSU chaos man squads. Merton dropped his Destroyers nearby on his T2 after I wiped out his warriors and Necron Lord, and while he killed a few mans, he also had to deal with charging Abaddon, who swung in and killed 4 Destroyers (3 regenerated the following turn!)

- The Berserkers finished off both squads of Immortals, then mulched Szeras and helped the Cultists finish off the Triarch Stalker in close combat (it was p funny). Meanwhile, the Raptors continued to gently caress up at killing the Cryptek, and got shot in the face to death by Tesseract Arks.

- Some time around the end of turn 3, I remembered I had left 140 points for summoning poo poo, and it was too late to use them. God dammit! Gotta avoid making mistakes like that at NoVA.

- Blask makes a big mistake putting his Cryptek on the other side of this wall, thinking it safe. But he's only 8" away from my jump pack chaos lord, who then hopped the wall and charged the Cryptek to the tune of 4 mortal wounds, killing him and scoring me 2 VPs in the process.

- By the end of T4 we were running up on my hard stop and it was looking good for me--I still had 7 berserkers, 2 squads of mostly full cultists, a somewhat Injured Abaddon (who was about to kill the last 2 destroyers), and a jump pack Chaos lord to his two destroyers and two Tesseract Arks. So we called it. Final VP score: 22 - 12, CHAOS WINS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8

Merton Blask brought a beautiful army and was fun to play against. I had a blast. 12/10, would clown on again.

Final Thoughts:
- Forgetting your summoning points is bad. Don't do it.

- I probably need more cultists. 10 Cultists is way better than an MSU marine squad and the two 20-man squads I had were great at tying up objectives.

- Abaddon owns. The Fire Raptor is still pretty great.

- The Berserkers were pretty solid, and the Rhino held up. Not sure about the Raptors, though. They may have just rolled poorly, but they didn't do much.

- I like the secondary objectives nature of NoVA missions. It's a cool twist that lets you tailor your chosen objectives to your strategy.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 25, 2018

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is that really good painting or do those Necrons have LED lighting?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Merton's been wiring all his dudes with LEDs. He can tell you more about his insane endeavor

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Jesus how do you even wire up a necron Warrior, it’s just a skeleton!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Badablack posted:

Wait how does the range reduction work?

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

Badablack posted:

Jesus how do you even wire up a necron Warrior, it’s just a skeleton!

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall!

(Robot practice, practice, practice.)

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wait how does the range reduction work?

Deep strike is 9 inches away base to base, so if one of the units is on the second or higher level of a ruin, you'll be 9 inches away on a diagonal. If your unit can fly or otherwise ignore vertical movement, this means your charge distance is lower than usual.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ro5s posted:

Deep strike is 9 inches away base to base, so if one of the units is on the second or higher level of a ruin, you'll be 9 inches away on a diagonal. If your unit can fly or otherwise ignore vertical movement, this means your charge distance is lower than usual.

Okay, so it was a diagonal.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Squid billies are done, just need the bases finished.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Squid billies are done, just need the bases finished.

Those look incredible.

I painted these a long time ago as a unit of ten counts-as Plaguebearers, but I just converted two of them to have "equipment" represented. The one with the light face and ornate head is the leader of the squad, the one with the skeleton rising up from its back is the banner bearer, and the one covered in animals has the instrument of Chaos. Thematically I wanted these to be plants come to life through the warping power of Chaos, so having them carry equipment seemed off. I liked the idea of hooting owls, chattering monkeys, and squawking parrots being "music" to these Daemons.

Here's an older picture of them with two counts-as Daemon Princes of Nurgle.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I painted a gross mans for army of neckbeards.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does no one use the lawn murder drone? Is it bad?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ro5s posted:

Bear in mind 3" per floor isn't a real rule. You have to measure it properly, so a short 2-level ruin won't necessarily be 9" high.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Irate Tree posted:

I have one because who the gently caress cares if it's bad. It's got a loving combat lawn mower on it.

As to the constant pricing arguments, urgh, seriously guys. You're basically all right (other than the person saying they make multi kits to justify price point, you're not right, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard) - pricing is a mix of customer expectations, mold cost, production time (not cost, the actual materials cost is negligible but the amount of time a kit takes to make on the machines is not necessarily), projected sale quantity, and a few other minor factors.

Also, the knight character box will be replacing the current knight kit (as the warden has now effectively replaced the paladin) and be £10 more.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Badablack posted:

I'm not sure I really get Reivers. If they had a little more going for them in melee they'd be great but the Sergeant needs a power fist or something.

Aggressors are awesome in Fortis Kill Teams, always run them.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Sweet zombie jesus lads keep up the good work with all the painted hams, really slaying it last couple of pages.
I am currently inspired to do some yellow metallics for my fists and then if they work possible my knights as well, wish me luck

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone do actual yellow metallics? Tamiya has a clear yellow, but I dunno which metal you’d use as a base for it. Chrome? Maybe a really pale gold?

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Badablack posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone do actual yellow metallics? Tamiya has a clear yellow, but I dunno which metal you’d use as a base for it. Chrome? Maybe a really pale gold?

I have started!
Keep in mind super WIP at the moment and the yellow will fill out and dull down with the next coat and then a glaze + weathering

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

:siren:B-B-BATTLE REPORT:siren:

Cool battle yo.

Just curious about the 3x 5 man marine squads, how did they get on? Trying to fit Marines into my Black legion list, is MSU a good choice?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Badablack posted:

Their clear paint is really thick - it seems like I need a dedicated brush for them. I do not have an airbrush, so not sure how to thin those.

Killer_Bees! posted:

I have started!
Keep in mind super WIP at the moment and the yellow will fill out and dull down with the next coat and then a glaze + weathering

Also these are brilliant, please post the final product once you are done. They look almost gold - I wonder if they will look better than retributor/auric gold for Custodes.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Merton Blask posted:

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall!

(Robot practice, practice, practice.)

:magical: I have seen into the abyss

Edit: Speaking of Deathwatch Reivers - what are people doing for their shoulder pads (also a little bit aggressors and inceptors, but I care for them less as they look dumb.)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Killer_Bees! posted:

I have started!

GW's yellow wash is really yellow and goes on really well. Used it over copper for the gold bits on my Skitarii and TPD.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I just need to add a bit of highlight to the fatigues but I'm really happy with how my Kasrkin test model has come out. I'm kicking myself for selling all but 20 of my Kasrkin models.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

It's a 10 wound flyer and those plaguespitters are auto-hit assault d6 weapons. Don't know if it's worth the points for competitive play or whatever, but it was :getin: when my buddy tried to charge it from 8" away with some intercessors and inceptors. Wiped out most of the intercessors on overwatch then finished them off in melee. Inceptors managed to take it down next round, but not before I got the chance to fall back and fire again at them, leaving them with nothing more than a wounded sergeant left in the squad to finish off the bloat-drone. He did... and it exploded, killing him. It's a very fun unit.

And some rando kept trying to buy or trade it off me while my buddy and I were playing, so I'm guessing it's probably useful in competitive play too. Or the dude was just a nurgle fanatic.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just curious about the 3x 5 man marine squads, how did they get on? Trying to fit Marines into my Black legion list, is MSU a good choice?

On the whole, I think I'd have been better off taking Cultists, but I only had about 40 or so painted up to use. They worked out alright. I took them as 4 bolters plus a plasma gun, both for a little extra oomph and to take advantage of the legion trait (it never really came into play though). I'll probably end up taking at least a couple of squads to NoVA just because I won't be able to make massive cultist blobs work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Played at flying Monkey Major GT. Got second with my fw hellhound/hammer Bros/castellan list. Only lost to my teammate who was playing basically the same list.

Played on the stream against my teammate round 5, so that was fun. And a Warhog was on the stream for 5-6 games.

Hellhounds are super good and the castellan is real good drat life. The valant didn't make it up to the top tables ever and shooty amagers are fine but could be 20 points cheaper. Not getting any real buffs from strats or auras super hurt them. And they are pretty fragile.