Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Homeowner’s pricing seems quite variable. I have a place where the total value is 2x, and the value of the actual building there is probably 1.5x (land only .5x). I have another place where total value is 1x, but 90% of that is the land. Same homeowners price for both.

E: like 900 each

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

*looks at his south Florida home.*

*looks at his $3,800/yr homeowners policy.*

:suicide:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

*looks at his south Florida home.*

*looks at his $3,800/yr homeowners policy.*

:suicide:

Yeah but no state income tax and very low property taxes.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Sock The Great posted:

You don't "buy" property in Florida so much as "lease it from the ocean"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sock The Great posted:

Yes good point, and lololol what the gently caress no, unless you’re comparing it to New Jer$ey.

In that order.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You’d be surprised, I think. For instance I know of a handful of people in different parts of the Midwest who right now pay more than $5000 in total prop tax on houses that would sell for $250k.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You’d be surprised, I think. For instance I know of a handful of people in different parts of the Midwest who right now pay more than $5000 in total prop tax on houses that would sell for $250k.

Try over $10k for $300k.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya, I’m at $7400/yr or so. It’s for more value than that, but gently caress it all the same.

I’d still take our property taxes over a state income tax any day, and twice on Sundays.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

Yes good point, and lololol what the gently caress no, unless you’re comparing it to New Jer$ey.

In that order.

I'm comparing it to Connecicut, which may have higher taxes than NJ. 4.5% state income tax and I pay over 3% of my homes value in property taxes each year.

I'd much rather pay 3x for my property insurance than either of those two.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

Ya, I’m at $7400/yr or so. It’s for more value than that, but gently caress it all the same.

I’d still take our property taxes over a state income tax any day, and twice on Sundays.

Have you ever thought about moving to Connecticut?

At least 3% of your property value in property tax, depending on your town.
Automobile tax (3.6% of the vehicle value)
State income tax (4% of your salary)
Estate tax (not sure on the %)
Sales tax (6.35%)

On the other hand we probably have the best overall quality of life, four real seasons, not much in the way of natural disasters, easy access to NYC and Boston, etc.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Question for you guys though... I'm paying about 800$ a year for home insurance... Is that high? Low? About right? Googling says the average for Ohio is ~600, but I don't think that's right

$751 at last year's renewal in the Cleveland area, 100+ year old house, $130k value. Have home and car with them. I don't remember what it started at ~4 years ago when I bought the place but Erie Insurance was the least expensive I was able to find.

Since we're talking about insurance, how often do you guys shop around for new rates? When I rented I used to do it every year for car insurance, but now that I have both home insurance and car insurance with the same company, I haven't even bothered looking for pricing on either one. Are there any downsides to switching home insurance every year? Mine is coming up in Sept, so maybe it's a good time to start looking?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Panthrax posted:

$751 at last year's renewal in the Cleveland area, 100+ year old house, $130k value. Have home and car with them. I don't remember what it started at ~4 years ago when I bought the place but Erie Insurance was the least expensive I was able to find.

Since we're talking about insurance, how often do you guys shop around for new rates? When I rented I used to do it every year for car insurance, but now that I have both home insurance and car insurance with the same company, I haven't even bothered looking for pricing on either one. Are there any downsides to switching home insurance every year? Mine is coming up in Sept, so maybe it's a good time to start looking?

You can switch home or auto insurance at any time, even if you've paid through a particular date. The provider will issue you a refund check for the balance.

If you are planning on shopping around (and plan to switch when your current policy is up) then I would inform your lender no later than 60 days before your policy is up. The bank will tend to disburse the payment from escrow as soon as they receive the bill. Then you need to go through the process of cancelling the policy, paying extra out of escrow for the new policy, then waiting for the refund check to come, then making a deposit to recharge your escrow account.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wait, how is escrow involved? Doesn’t that go away as soon as you close?

I just pay my insurance on my credit card.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

An escrow account lets you pay one amount for (mortgage + taxes + insurance) each month for a small fee instead of paying each of those separately

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is paying them separately hard? I don’t have a mortgage, but taxes and insurance are automatically paid with no small fee.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Wait, how is escrow involved? Doesn’t that go away as soon as you close?

I just pay my insurance on my credit card.

Impound account. It's frequently offered (and sometimes required) that you pay your lender money into impound and they pay your property taxes and fire insurance out of it. It's great and pretty much everyone who isn't rich should do it if available. Every month you pay around 1/12th the TI of PITI into it and they allegedly handle the rest. Once a year you true up. It means generally there is a bunch of money sitting there and I believe it to be worth the peace of mind.

I will miss it when I pay off my mortgage. They won't let me add my earthquake policy to it.

Pays like 2% interest too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No it isn't hard

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I think most often property taxes are only once or twice a year instead of monthly. Some people have problems keeping that much money in the bank and would prefer a steady monthly bill.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

I believe it to be worth the peace of mind.

Where does the peace of mind come from, versus paying it yourself?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I guess it's just simplicity rather than peace of mind. I pay one bill each month that includes the mortgage (P+I) insurance, and taxes.

Also if taxes go down then you get a nice bonus check in August.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cool for you all I guess! I’ve never heard of it up here.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Basically one check gets autopaid and I get to keep my home. (or at least the crumbled wreckage.) Taxes on the other hand there is no easy way to autopay it. If you miss the letter literally once a year you start accruing penalties.

This as someone who could pay his property taxes in one fell swoop on demand. I think they're like $6500? 1% of 470k + special districts, bonds, etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that’s some primitive poo poo. My taxes get autopaid every 4 months out of my chequing account. Elect better people, I guess.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, typically escrow is free, I've never heard of paying a cost for it (in california). The mortgage company probably pays any associated costs, because the lender loves that you're using escrow (it makes it much less likely that you'll miss insurance payments on the asset that is securing their loan).

Also also it's basically impossible to compare homeowner's insurance rates. Every house is unique, your zip code matters, your neighborhood matters, they take into account things like distance to the nearest fire house, actuarial tables about the severe weather frequency, the cost of materials and labor has a huge effect on the replacement cost of your home, and, you know, your actual policy coverages vary and you can pick more or less coverage for a bunch of things! Like everyone posting what they're paying but not mentioning their deductible is not being helpful.

The best and only real way to discover whether you're paying too much for insurance is to shop around.

But aslo also also,

Elephanthead posted:

No one rates insurance companies by how easy it is to file and get paid for a claim but that is the only important thing.

JD Powers explicitly does rate on that basis, as do several other ratings places like Consumer Reports, and it definitely is the most important thing. Insurance that fails you when you actually need a payout is worthless, so shopping entirely on price is stupid.

Also get flood insurance if there's any chance your house could ever flood, and get earthquake insurance if you're in an earthquake zone, and make sure at least one of your policies covers fires caused by the earthquakes (I found out mine doesn't, if my house burned down due to a broken gas main after an earthquake neither my earthquake nor my homeowners policies would have covered it till I added that). And then shop those policy options around, while taking into account the fine print on every policy offered you, and now you see why people use insurance brokers.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

H110Hawk posted:

Impound account. It's frequently offered (and sometimes required) that you pay your lender money into impound and they pay your property taxes and fire insurance out of it. It's great and pretty much everyone who isn't rich should do it if available. Every month you pay around 1/12th the TI of PITI into it and they allegedly handle the rest. Once a year you true up. It means generally there is a bunch of money sitting there and I believe it to be worth the peace of mind.

I will miss it when I pay off my mortgage. They won't let me add my earthquake policy to it.

Pays like 2% interest too.
Couple addendums:
- sometimes (maybe always as its a standard loan form) the loving servicer gets to decide if you can cancel escrow, and some servicers are loving horrid
- a lot of people are bad with money so it can helpful for those, smoothing of payments plus accruing as needed
- you get interest on your escrow?!?

Subjunctive posted:

Cool for you all I guess! I’ve never heard of it up here.
Where are you located? Its the norm in the USA. You often can opt out, but many people find it easier to have one payment. I would rather DIY and let escrow money sit at Ally.

I believe my city allows monthly, quarterly, biannual, or annual payments. You get a discount (3%?) for annual, maybe for semi too (1.5%), I'm not going to go look. Less over head for the city makes a lot of sense as to why they charge more for more frequent payments - though you would hope it was fully paperless and automated by 2018, but I bet it ain't. There is no opt out for paper tax statements, for example, and I'm sure there is some manual stuff on the back end after they receive the ACH...

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 25, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SiGmA_X posted:

Where are you located? Its the norm in the USA.

Ontario, Canada.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

Couple addendums:
- sometimes (maybe always as its a standard loan form) the loving servicer gets to decide if you can cancel escrow, and some servicers are loving horrid
- a lot of people are bad with money so it can helpful for those, smoothing of payments plus accruing as needed
- you get interest on your escrow?!?
Where are you located? Its the norm in the USA. You often can opt out, but many people find it easier to have one payment. I would rather DIY and let escrow money sit at Ally.

I believe my city allows monthly, quarterly, biannual, or annual payments. You get a discount (3%?) for annual, maybe for semi too (1.5%), I'm not going to go look. Less over head for the city makes a lot of sense as to why they charge more for more frequent payments - though you would hope it was fully paperless and automated by 2018, but I bet it ain't. There is no opt out for paper tax statements, for example, and I'm sure there is some manual stuff on the back end after they receive the ACH...

Huh, I assumed interest was a national thing. I get 2% interest on mine in the peoples republic of California. It's better return than my savings account (1.6%), and for the timeline and risk factor on the money that is the appropriate comparison. (<= 1 year, guaranteed to need it within that time.) This makes it a no brainer for me to impound the money. Even if it was 0% I would still impound. I consider the value of automatic payment to be greater than the ~$100 I would earn in interest coupled with the worry over missing the bill. Right now the only bill in my life not on autopay is my housekeeper, and sometimes I forget to leave her a check.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/financial-code/fin-sect-50202.html posted:

A borrower shall receive at least 2 percent simple interest per annum on impound account payments covered by Section 2954.8 of the Civil Code .

Servicer awfulness is certainly a thing. I've been generally lucky on that regard, only having minor issues with the one awful one I had (Cenlar / Central Loan Processing). None of them resulted in non-payment of my mortgage, taxes, or insurance.

As for monthly/quaterly/etc payments I would consider those %'s a premium/penalty. The flat fee for your taxes is 100%, and paying monthly it's 103%, 4 times a year it's 101.5%, etc. Similar to something like life insurance where one payment per year is $500, four is $515, 12 is $600. (Numbers made up.)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Right now the only bill in my life not on autopay

Be very careful with that. I've had enough vendors start creeping bills up when on autopay that I'm convinced companies with just the wrong type of CFOs will see it as an oppotrunity to ratchet those customers.

Now if you're saying you autopay on the other side......sending the payment from your checking account as opposed to setting the vendor up to pull them....that's different. And better. And I'm okay with that. But you absolutely should be watching your bills, and auto pay from the vendor side is just to easy to not pay attention anymore and get hosed.

As one point I had $8/gal propane in my tank. I had to ask them exactly what is was made out of other than propane. (you didn't spend more than x per year, so your rate whet up and ......"seriously.....explain to me how this is ever okay".......silence. I'm sorry sir. "Come get your loving tank. You are done here."

That's not the only one, it's just the worst one. And there is a whole story around that which ends up with me threatening to leave the tank in the middle of their parking lot if they tried to charge me a removal fee.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Has anyone heard of "Difference in Condition" insurance? We live on a mountain side with a bunch of extremely large boulders on the slope above us a good distance. Unlikely to move since they're really just sticking up out of the ground but still attached and not loose at all, but still a mudslide might be more of an issue one unlucky day. We're hundreds of feet above the nearest flood zone, and flood insurance wouldn't cover a mudslide/boulder situation because there is no stream or river up there of any sort from what I've read. "Difference in Condition" insurance would cover any issues with mudslides/boulders (and a bunch of other really bizare situations too) though supposedly? Everyone we've asked about it has never heard of it, I guess its specialty companies who offer it but we haven't looked too hard yet.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Be very careful with that. I've had enough vendors start creeping bills up when on autopay that I'm convinced companies with just the wrong type of CFOs will see it as an oppotrunity to ratchet those customers.

I am "that guy" who still gets paper bills. I read every bill that comes through my door. Frontier recently bumped my bill by $5? and I was on the phone the next bill unwinding it. Now it's -$1 from where it had hit equilibrium, plus 30 minutes of their phone jockey's time. All of my non-government/utility bills go to a credit card. When I get that paper bill I read every line on it and ensure it's the correct numbers I roughly remember from my last bill. I know where you're coming from, and most of the companies bank on just the scenario you described. Sadly we get negative choice in natural gas, electricity, and water here.

Also: :catstare: at $8/gal bulk propane. Just think how many people didn't call and tell them to gently caress right off. It's $3.99/gal at the gas station here - less if you have a big tank to fill up on site.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
My wife setup paper bills with autopay. She checks the bill, makes sure everything is copacetic, then sets it aside until payment clears and then she files it. Seems like the best route for autopay stuff.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spoeank posted:

My wife setup paper bills with autopay. She checks the bill, makes sure everything is copacetic, then sets it aside until payment clears and then she files it. Seems like the best route for autopay stuff.

Once a year I lube up the shredder, pour a few fingers of booze, and go to town. :quagmire:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sock The Great posted:

Also if taxes go down

lmbo

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

H110Hawk posted:

Once a year I lube up the shredder, pour a few fingers of booze, and go to town. :quagmire:

Half the fun of having a fireplace is tossing old bills in there.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Half the fun of having a fireplace is tossing old bills in there.

My inlaws kindled a fire in their fireplace with their mortgage when they paid it off. I plan to follow in their footsteps. We recycle the trimmings. loving hippies.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Well that's pretty legit WRT CA 2% escrow.

I have 100% of everything on autopay and paperless, but I review 100% of bills monthly. And notices and poo poo. Paperless FTW.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sock The Great posted:

I'm paying income tax to two different municipalities because Ohio's municipal tax system loving sucks

Panthrax posted:

Hey cool, glad to know I'm in the same ballpark. Almost identical, hundred year old house, ~150k value. Main thing that sucks is that I pay two local income taxes, because my suburb doesn't participate in Rita, I work in another higher tax suburb. I know there's no apples to apples on insurance, just curious about general ballpark numbers.

Technically I think price optimization (where insurance companies raise rates because they don't think people would bother switching) is supposed to be illegal in Ohio, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still happens to some degree under some other guise.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I'm super glad to not have an escrow. If I pay my taxes a couple months early I get a 4% discount rate, and I get an auto payment discount for my insurance which goes onto a credit card that gives me 2% back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Frontier recently bumped my bill by $5? and I was on the phone the next bill unwinding it.

:bang:

I've summoned the beat by talking about it. This is the FIOS bill that just came in. No explanation why it's $5 more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’d pay an extra $50 a month for FIOS. Even at the new, mystery rate you’re still paying less than I do for Comcast’s lovely cable internet service.

BRING ME FIBER YOU FUCKWITS