Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Arrhythmia posted:

These are my favourite posts.

Found that bitch and shook her down.

Also finally took down the Broken Vessel. Having the Defenders charm really makes that fight trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I tried that on him and had mixed results, I kept slamming into the adds.

Anyway, running low on stuff to do in the endgame after clearing The Abyss, The Hive, and the White Palace. The latter was not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Heard the sawblades and thought "I've played enough Super Meat Boy to know where this is going." It was actually pretty fun aside from a few sections that relied a bit too much on the double-jump.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

morcant posted:

I'm actually there right now, so I went to go check. Can confirm using the Dream Nail gets you "...Our voices... will cry out... again..." Still, using the Dream Nail here might not be terribly clear to everyone.

Just dream nail everything everywhere, there's a surprising amount of stuff that reacts to it. For example all the corpses on the path to Nosk.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've know I've talked some poo poo about this game on and off because tbh sometimes it grates my nerves, but I really think it's probably the best game in the genre. Even edging out my beloved vanias and metroids.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Portrait of Ruin is pretty good tho

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

I did everything in this game when it came out and haven't touched it since, so going back into the Switch version with all the new content has been wonderful. I love all the boss/enemy tweaks, and the new bosses are fantastic: Nightmare King Grimm, Grey Prince Zote, and White Defender are just below The Radiance as my favorite fights in the game.

I just love how tight the controls are. Every input happens exactly when I intend it to, and takes me exactly where I intended to be. It's hard to overstate how satisfying it feels. Sometimes I'll skip out on using the stag station and dash, double jump, and pogo through the stages. There aren't many games that make me want to do things like that.

puppets freak me out fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 24, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bogart posted:

Portrait of Ruin is pretty good tho

Yeah. I mean, from a map design perspective I think the better CV games are on par with Hollow Knight. But I do think HK map design is as good as CV or Super metroid, while having more enjoyable gameplay. I'm gonna have to reflect on it after I finish it to make sure I'm not being hyperbolic.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Broken Cog posted:

Just dream nail everything everywhere, there's a surprising amount of stuff that reacts to it. For example all the corpses on the path to Nosk.

I was sad that Dream Nailing the fountain that gives you the Shadow Dash doesn't do anything other than give you cryptic messages. I Dream Nailed it at one point and its message implied that I had to come back with the Void Heart but even doing so after acquiring said item didn't do anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The platforming part on the far west of greenpath is loving insane.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

The platforming part on the far west of greenpath is loving insane.

Yeah I parted with 1200 bug bux after dying about 15 times on the last stretch.

I ran into a similar area in the far right of Deepnest, gave up when I had to nail jump on the worm upwards for way too long .

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I just lost 1000 in there you aren't alone. Still can't beat it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's nothing, I lost 3k to the Traitor Lord. And then died on the runup! :D

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just finished the PoP! Seems like a good place to hang it up, what a fantastic experience.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s a pro tip. Dump all your money into the fountain not knowing what it’s for, that way you are broke and can’t afford to buy the area map that’s right nearby...

:argh:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cartoon Man posted:

Here’s a pro tip. Dump all your money into the fountain not knowing what it’s for, that way you are broke and can’t afford to buy the area map that’s right nearby...

In case you didn't already know it does give a reward eventually, it just takes a lot of moolah

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

:lol: I did this too

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
lol if you ever throw your money into a fountain in a video game. either it's a joke and you wont' get anything, or you need an absurdly high amount to get something!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: I did this too

:same:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arrhythmia posted:

lol if you ever throw your money into a fountain in a video game. either it's a joke and you wont' get anything, or you need an absurdly high amount to get something!

3000 geo isn't that absurd tbh

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't think it's been mentioned in thread, but reddit found a quick-money glitch on the Switch version.

Step 1) Find a Mossy Knight in Greenpath, let him stab you, and use your i-frames to get directly in his grill.

Step 2) Flukenest

Step 3) Watch your Switch flip out as 900+ dollars fly out.

Apparently there's something going on where Mossy Knights where if they die from multiple damage sources in the same frame, they drop money for each hypothetical death, or something. So that's a lot of dollars.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

3000 geo isn't that absurd tbh

There's no indication of how much it expects though. When I first reached it I assumed it would give me something but I also didn't trust it to not just eat all the excess, so I didn't want to throw in my 14k geo.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Yeah, and if it does eat all your geo you can't get the map *or* the only bench in the area.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

YggiDee posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned in thread, but reddit found a quick-money glitch on the Switch version.

Step 1) Find a Mossy Knight in Greenpath, let him stab you, and use your i-frames to get directly in his grill.

Step 2) Flukenest

Step 3) Watch your Switch flip out as 900+ dollars fly out.

Apparently there's something going on where Mossy Knights where if they die from multiple damage sources in the same frame, they drop money for each hypothetical death, or something. So that's a lot of dollars.

holy hell this works WELL

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tempting but I feel like this game doles out money at a pretty balanced rate and I don't really feel like cheesing anything. Those guys are the best for farming already though it's gonna be hard to resist when I'm trying to get a few extra bux. I always run there when I need a couple hundred extra geo.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I got all the geo I needed for the two more expensive Unbreakable charms in about fifteen minutes with those dudes. And enough for the smith and the offering fountain as well. It's pretty good.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

Tempting but I feel like this game doles out money at a pretty balanced rate and I don't really feel like cheesing anything. Those guys are the best for farming already though it's gonna be hard to resist when I'm trying to get a few extra bux. I always run there when I need a couple hundred extra geo.

Honestly literally everything in the game feels well-scaled cost-wise apart from the unbreakable charms, like those costs were balanced for someone who's completed the game 100% and spent a bunch of time playing after that to store up geo and had nothing to spend it on for awhile until the DLC landed

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly literally everything in the game feels well-scaled cost-wise apart from the unbreakable charms, like those costs were balanced for someone who's completed the game 100% and spent a bunch of time playing after that to store up geo and had nothing to spend it on for awhile until the DLC landed

I sort of agree? But the cost seems about perfectly balanced for acquiring 2 out of the 3 by end-game... and would you look at that, the third one is trash. I would never use Heart over an actually combat-oriented charm. There's no reason for me to acquire it other than sheer completionist urges.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There's also no reason to ever make Greed unbreakable because there's no way you're saving more money than you're spending. How many times would you need to break and repair it to come to the same cost as Unbreakable?

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Any tips for the 2nd Hornet fight
My little bug rear end is getting handed to me.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

I find it easier if you turn the sound off, because her verbal call outs are randomized and distracting.

I'm a monster though.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

I like to bring an area damage charm to help clear the little spikes. Defender's Crest, Spore Shroom, and/or Thorns of Agony would be good. Aside from that, I try to get to mid range where her attacks are easier to avoid. Take it slow and careful, only going for an attack when there's a clear opening. She's not too hard to dodge once you get a good read on the tells for each of her attacks.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
I re-bought this on the Switch and just beat the Soul Master on my first try, took me a load of attempts on PC so I'm super stoked about getting it 1st time. That was pretty much as far as I got so everything after this is new to me. This game is amazing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Started this game up last night and put an hour or so into it, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna get sunk into it yet. I ran around the Forgotten Crossroads a bit, found the mapmaker, found the merchant, opened up the Stagway station, and ran into a couple dead-ends that look like they need special keys. I also beat up a boss (miniboss?), the Gruzmother, but I didn't seem to get anything out of it.

Where do I find the notch thing I need to buy the compass? Not sure where to go now except some more wandering around lost, but I expected to find it by now, or at least some other sort of upgrade. I'll be honest, the map thing might be an issue for me. I'm not a huge Metroidvania fan, but I've enjoyed them here and there (still waiting for a sequel to Shadow Complex) and I've learned that I'm just naturally terrible at remembering how a stage comes together. Without the compass, I am constantly lost and nervous about exploring further because I'm worried about not knowing how to get back. I've already lost track of all the doors and tunnels I've passed up and still need to explore, but I don't know where they were. :(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh poo poo, finally got the double jump! Time for another massive backtracking expedition! Game owns so much.

:dance:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Phenotype posted:

Started this game up last night and put an hour or so into it, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna get sunk into it yet. I ran around the Forgotten Crossroads a bit, found the mapmaker, found the merchant, opened up the Stagway station, and ran into a couple dead-ends that look like they need special keys. I also beat up a boss (miniboss?), the Gruzmother, but I didn't seem to get anything out of it.

Where do I find the notch thing I need to buy the compass? Not sure where to go now except some more wandering around lost, but I expected to find it by now, or at least some other sort of upgrade. I'll be honest, the map thing might be an issue for me. I'm not a huge Metroidvania fan, but I've enjoyed them here and there (still waiting for a sequel to Shadow Complex) and I've learned that I'm just naturally terrible at remembering how a stage comes together. Without the compass, I am constantly lost and nervous about exploring further because I'm worried about not knowing how to get back. I've already lost track of all the doors and tunnels I've passed up and still need to explore, but I don't know where they were. :(

So what you can do when you sit on a bench is open up your menu and equip charms. You start out with a few notches, and each charm takes up a certain amount of notches each. The compass is a charm, you should have enough notches to wear it right now unless you've found some others already.

As to where to get more notches, they're upgrades you'll get throughout the game. They'll be a bit sparse at first.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also a mechanic that i never used myself but i'm sure bolder people than i can make extremely good use of is you can equip one extra charm over the slot limit (like if you have one notch left you can cram a 4 notch charm on) if you try to force it in there a couple of times, however you will take double damage from everything while you're "overcharmed"

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Phenotype posted:

you start the game with three charm notches. if you've bought the compass, you should be able to equip it. keep in mind that you have to be sitting on a bench to change your charm loadout.

you do get something for beating gruzmother. there's an npc in one of the huts on the other side of her boss room. speak to him and he'll relocate to dirtmouth as a shopkeeper

your next destination is a room in the centre of the crossroads that you access from the right side of the map. the passage you want is close to the stagway station

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

GenericOverusedName posted:

So what you can do when you sit on a bench is open up your menu and equip charms. You start out with a few notches, and each charm takes up a certain amount of notches each. The compass is a charm, you should have enough notches to wear it right now unless you've found some others already.

As to where to get more notches, they're upgrades you'll get throughout the game. They'll be a bit sparse at first.

Whoops! The compass was always greyed out in the shop, but I don't think I ever showed up with enough money to buy it. I thought the merchant wanted the money AND the notch point, so I've already blown a bunch of money on the Quill Pen and the Stagway pin thinking that the compass was blocked off til I found a notch.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

There's also no reason to ever make Greed unbreakable because there's no way you're saving more money than you're spending. How many times would you need to break and repair it to come to the same cost as Unbreakable?

To be fair the issue with the breaking is less the cost and more the inconvenience of having to visit leg eater to use it again, who isn’t exactly next to a stag station and I prefer to keep dream gates at a stag station or for boss runs.

I just finished a completionist run (on pc). I got literally every sell item and geo cache, didn’t ever lose geo to deaths and by the end of the game I had enough geo to buy everything and two of the unbreakables. I also didn’t ever use the greed charm, although I had gathering swarm picking stuff up always. I then decided to clean up the hunters journal (which I never did first play through) and by the time I finished that I was only 2k short for the final one, so the geo farming was only for 2k in the end to get literally everything.

Basically, playing normally there is easily enough geo to get everything and at least one unbreakable charm, even factoring in geo losses to deaths and with no farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i can see money being a lot tighter over the course of the game if you don't immediately superglue the badge that autopicks up money for you to your lapel permanently but no one would be crazy enough not to do that right