Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Got the new Tomb Raider out of the library.

1. She doesn't kill any endangered species.

2. She doesn't kill any dinosaurs and/or mythical creatures

Why make Tomb Raider if you're not gonna do it right?

Also, protagonist is too much Katniss, not enough Lara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

But Daniel Wu blows up a guy with an under-barrel grenade launcher so it all balanced out

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 90s Tomb Raider wasn't as woke as the 2013 reboot. Can you imagine the Lara Croft with huge boobs and daisy dukes delivering food for a living.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Penpal posted:

But Daniel Wu blows up a snow leopard with an under-barrel grenade launcher so it all balanced out

See how much better it could have been?

Edit: Lara's parents are about as interesting as Peter Parker's.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In season 2 of Luke Cage, there's a part in an early episode where a guy manages to dislocate his shoulder with a shotgun blast but then an episode or two later, Cage catches a grenade and holds it in his hands as it explodes and it does nil damage. If it's a sharp short burst of pressure that can gently caress up a joint like his shoulder, holding the grenade as it goes off in his hands should have dislocated all of his fingers at least.

Not exactly a major plot issue but irritating enough for me to notice and wonder about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You know, that's a fair point. But you've got to consider the odds - if you're in the woods and being hunted, it's either going to be humans, a regular predator like a bear or tiger or something, or a bigfoot/alien/whatever. The animals probably see pretty good in the dark if they are hunting, and we don't know whether bigfoots and aliens have night vision, so I'd still gamble and ditch the flashlight.

I am considering the odds. Animals can't use flashlights, so diurnal animals don't hunt at night and nocturnal animals don't need lights; ditching the flashlight only hampers me, and it could even be a good weapon against night adapted vision. For anything else, they'll use a flashlight only if they need it because as much as the prey doesn't want to be seen by the hunter, the hunter doesn't want to be seen by the prey either. So the only time I should not use a flashlight is if my pursuer is using one.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
It's OK, Gotham, I understand Selina Kyle - :byodood: CALL ME CAT :byodood: - is going to become Catwoman without literally everything she says and does foreshadowing it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure part of the reason a lot of early CGI featured nonhuman characters front and centre is the same reason why early cartoons focused on talking animals, easier to draw and render without getting the uncanny valley effect, and way cheaper to do simply, also iconic and merchandisable. Toy Story comes to mind as the movie that basically codified the CGI kids movie and while it has human characters, Andy and Sid look probably scarier than they're supposed to, while the toys come off better because the audience expects them to have cartoony proportions and features.

Mu Zeta posted:

The 90s Tomb Raider wasn't as woke as the 2013 reboot. Can you imagine the Lara Croft with huge boobs and daisy dukes delivering food for a living.

Haven't the new games had an outright trilogy of Lara 'becoming the Tomb Raider' now? It's like the Smallville of video games.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In season 2 of Luke Cage, there's a part in an early episode where a guy manages to dislocate his shoulder with a shotgun blast but then an episode or two later, Cage catches a grenade and holds it in his hands as it explodes and it does nil damage. If it's a sharp short burst of pressure that can gently caress up a joint like his shoulder, holding the grenade as it goes off in his hands should have dislocated all of his fingers at least.

Not exactly a major plot issue but irritating enough for me to notice and wonder about it.
It's a magic shotgun, I guess. :v:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Got the new Tomb Raider out of the library.

1. She doesn't kill any endangered species.

2. She doesn't kill any dinosaurs and/or mythical creatures

Why make Tomb Raider if you're not gonna do it right?

Also, protagonist is too much Katniss, not enough Lara.

It’s based on the recent games and she doesn’t kill anything except humans and I guess some weird undead things in those either. At least not the first one.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s based on the recent games and she doesn’t kill anything except humans and I guess some weird undead things in those either. At least not the first one.

She kills plenty of deer in the first one.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

LeJackal posted:

Animal people are less prone to an uncanny valley effect for one, and for two its easier for an animator to express emotions and expressions with big animal snoots and ears.

Gonna agree with LeJackal for once. CGI movies are tough for gettinf humans to not look creepy. My two year old's current movie obsession is the original Incredibles, and boy: do Dash and Helen's faces look baaaaaaad. Especially right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9raSrFuHe4&t=21s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nth Doctor posted:

Gonna agree with LeJackal for once. CGI movies are tough for gettinf humans to not look creepy. My two year old's current movie obsession is the original Incredibles, and boy: do Dash and Helen's faces look baaaaaaad. Especially right here:

There's a reason pixar spends so much time on plastic toys, cars, and fish.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a reason pixar spends so much time on plastic toys, cars, and fish.

I see that and raise you.

https://youtu.be/ffIZSAZRzDA

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Nth Doctor posted:

:stare:

:whitewater:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Transformation fetish: I don't get it but I've seen weirder, so whatever.

Pedophile transformation fetish: burn in hell.

Unironically. What the gently caress.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm not the target demographic for Jurassic World 2 and that makes me sad. I feel like if I were a 10 year old kid this movie would be the best thing ever

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comic/on-video-browsing

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I like to think that even at 10 years old I would have seen how riddled with potholes and inexplicable character decisions Jurassic World 2 is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rydiafan posted:

I like to think that even at 10 years old I would have seen how riddled with potholes and inexplicable character decisions Jurassic World 2 is.

But it has dinosaurs

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

Gonna agree with LeJackal for once.

The seal is broken.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Len posted:

I'm not the target demographic for Jurassic World 2 and that makes me sad. I feel like if I were a 10 year old kid this movie would be the best thing ever

I've been a 10 year old for about 20 years, JW2 was dope.

rydiafan posted:

Who cares,

Len posted:

it has dinosaurs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Poldarn posted:

Who cares,

It did pick up towards the end and i want to believe another movie will give us a very welcome change if scenery but i also think what i really want is a live action Dino Riders movie

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Phanatic posted:

I really liked this bit in Skyfall.

There is also only one other building in that entire plain, of loving course that is where they are going to be. Should have just stayed in the tunnel.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Len posted:

But it has dinosaurs

That's good!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Poldarn posted:

I liked it more than Jurassic World 1 because I think no innocent people died in this one, so all the dinosaurs eating people was pretty guilt-free

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

"Habezufälligjemandesmasturbationstreibstoffgesehen"?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LashLightning posted:

"Habezufälligjemandesmasturbationstreibstoffgesehen"?

Schamfüranderen

Abscheuvoranderen

?

Widerwillen Wienerwillen

Jobbo_Fett has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Jun 26, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Jurassic world 2 the drat brontosaurus on the dock watching the boat made a bunch of children cry and then my wife cried and then I also cried

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Incredibles 2 The villain explaining her entire plan and motivation. Why not just execute the plan without turning off the mind control? Also Helen should have just closed her eyes the second time

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That was an alien tech boosted shotgun that blew him out of a second story window. Only his skin is impervious, all his insides can get real hosed up if he's not prepared. With the grenade, he was actively trying to prevent the blast. With the shotgun, he wasn't expecting it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

rydiafan posted:

I liked the stealth t-rex the best

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The runway chase scene that got added to the last part of Argo. As soon as the plane's wheels get an inch of the ground, they're home free.

Fighter jets can force a civilian airliner to land and I'm pretty sure Iran had some of those in the early 80s.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was no runway chase scene in real life either so it's a double failure.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ego-bot posted:

.Fighter jets can force a civilian airliner to land and I'm pretty sure Iran had some of those in the early 80s.

Short of playing chicken with it, they really can’t. Obviously they could have just shot it down but the fact that they didn’t means that killing them all was politically unacceptable, and that same calculus would apply to trying to force it to land, which would be only slightly less risky than just shooting it down.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Jurassic World 2 had not enough T-Rex. The next movie better just be a go cam mounted on the T-Rex for 2 hours.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Push El Burrito posted:

Jurassic World 2 had not enough T-Rex. The next movie better just be a go cam mounted on the T-Rex for 2 hours.

But you wouldn't see the t-rex...:saddowns:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Beachcomber posted:

But you wouldn't see the t-rex...:saddowns:

Jurassic World 3 will be set in a carnival and the T-Rex will spend half the running time in a house of mirrors.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Jurassic World 3: T-Rex Island (also the island is shaped like a T-Rex)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts