Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mewse posted:

We are talking deals, do try to keep up

Ok, phone deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

grack posted:

All newly purchased phones are now sold unlocked.

Noice. Thx

And on that note, I'm selling the P20 Pro here because I'm still a stock android nerd and let's be honest I'll be getting the Pixel 3 soon too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860137

Fuckin great phone though, better than the Note 8 IMO.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 14, 2018

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I only get Tim's when I'm at the airport. The Filipino ladies are always nice to me. The young rear end in a top hat hipster jerks at Starbucks rip me off all the time.

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 15, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

waxluthor posted:

I only get Tim's when I'm at the airport. The Filipino ladies are always nice to me. The young rear end in a top hat hipster jerks at Starbucks rip me off all the time.

I find starbucks pretentious as well

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Koodo just sent me an offer to add a line and a free iphone 6s to my current plan which is the 10g/60$ hotness from back in December. I'm having no luck with their phone department picking up the phone so I thought I'd ask my question in here.

Is this an offer for a shared plan or are they trying to get me to pay monthly tab money just to get call waiting?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Any other Vancouverites figured out how to block those Chinese language robo spam calls? I'm getting 1-2 per day lately, always a different number, always leave a goddamn voicemail.

I'm on the Do Not Call list but that does jack poo poo for non-Canadians clearly.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I get those in Ontario too. TrueCaller manages to identify some of the numbers as spam some of the time but I haven't found a better way. Thankfully not 1-2 per day though, maybe 2-3 per week.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's demonstrating a real weakness to the caller ID system I think. For a while they were using my number, and I got a bunch of angry Chinese person calls. Don't know of it's straight up Id spoofing or using the Malaysia country code hack.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
callerid spoofing is so stupid trivial you don't need anything to do it, simply pass what you want and it goes. I can do this all day with my voip system.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

You could try complaining to your carrier but I doubt theyd care unless they started getting many thousands of people complaining about this.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Those spam calls have become such a problem that the CRTC mandated that all carriers have to install equipment to prevent caller ID spoofing by next March.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I've had limited success just blocking numbers but a couple still get through every week. poo poo's getting real annoying.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

grack posted:

Those spam calls have become such a problem that the CRTC mandated that all carriers have to install equipment to prevent caller ID spoofing by next March.

Thats interesting. How is that supposed to work?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Evis posted:

That’s interesting. How is that supposed to work?

Right now caller ID is based in trust and nothing else. If you have access to your calling stack (e.g. like every VoIP box ever) you can put whatever you want in there.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I meant the equipment to block spoofing.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
I'm looking into cheapo plans folks its that time again. On Koodo lately and its been good but the phone offering for the poor people plans are a bit anemic (compared to say Freedom). I don't use phone as much as data so how bad is Freedom really? I live in North Burnaby. The data numbers offered are way more than what Koodo is offering in my current range (40-50 + the tab medium)(yes I know I'm a cheapskate I'm disabled).

The Pixel 2 is what I'm eyeing at Freedom and I'm not really sure what the best $0 medium tab phone is at Koodo. Suggestions welcome.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

In my experience freedom is bad. Not worth the money you save if you actually need to be able to use your phone in your house. Some of my coworkers use freedom and I laugh at them because they have to go outside the building at work to make or receive calls.

That said, you could talk to them about trying their service to see if it suits you, and just swap the sim into your existing phone. I think some carriers allow you to cancel with no penalty within a few days if, for example, you realize you cant actually get phone service in your house/apartment.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Freedom is good if your phone supports the AWS-3 bands and you're in an area that has them rolled out. I was with Wind before the rollout and had an older phone, and it was unusable.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Freedom seems great according to everyone I know who uses it, particularly those with phones that support the newer frequencies. I think they're expanding to a new low frequency band that should essentially get rid of reception issues by September as well if their call to investors was any indication

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

lizzyinthesky posted:

I'm looking into cheapo plans folks its that time again. On Koodo lately and its been good but the phone offering for the poor people plans are a bit anemic (compared to say Freedom). I don't use phone as much as data so how bad is Freedom really? I live in North Burnaby. The data numbers offered are way more than what Koodo is offering in my current range (40-50 + the tab medium)(yes I know I'm a cheapskate I'm disabled).

The Pixel 2 is what I'm eyeing at Freedom and I'm not really sure what the best $0 medium tab phone is at Koodo. Suggestions welcome.

Probably not useful but when I wanted the Pixel 2 and my S7 finally stopped charging, and I was totally broke, I called Koodo (been with em 5 years now) and was like listen, can you help me out? Sure! Take $200 off the Pixel 2 so instead of 275 up front on tab medium, I only paid 75. Plus the tab charge, I'll end up paying 435 for a phone that was 1039+tax I think?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
RIP BellMTS Unlimited Data Plans

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm moving to Waterloo / Kitchener and since I'm canceling my cable, I don't necessarily need to be chained to Rogers anymore. Any suggestions for carriers in the area with decent price and good reception?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I just found out I'm moving to St John's, NL, from the US.

Are there any decent plans for me and/or my wife? I'm currently on Project Fi in the US, and that gives me basically unlimited talk/text for $20/mo and $10usd/gb. I can just stay on that if it's cheaper.

Thanks

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

St_Ides posted:

Are there any decent plans for me and/or my wife? I'm currently on Project Fi in the US, and that gives me basically unlimited talk/text for $20/mo and $10usd/gb. I can just stay on that if it's cheaper.

Thanks

Stay on project fi (but you won't have unlimited talk anymore, isn't it 20 cents a minute roaming here? Do you talk on your phone though?)

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 26, 2018

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Scudworth posted:

Stay on project fi (but you won't have unlimited talk anymore, isn't it 20 cents a minute roaming here? Do you talk on your phone though?)

We barely talk on our phones, and I have fongo going off my old Canadian number, so I'll be set. I might set her up on Fi and then do the same.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Me again, project Fi might not be ideal for my wife, as she she's fully immersed in the Apple ecosystem and wants to keep her iPhone.

Are the Fido Pulse plans OK? The 2gb/$55mo seems OK. Are they month to month or is a contract required?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Check out virgin / Koodo / public mobile / Fido / chatr and compare. All of these are flanker brands for the large 3 carriers.

2gb / 55 is a ripoff

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

2gb / 55 is a ripoff

It comes with Spotify so really $45/mo if you're already a Spotify subscriber but still a bleh plan

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

St_Ides posted:

Thanks

Wtf brings you here? Guessing you work int he energy sector. PM me if you need anything. We're with Koodo, as said above, the offshoots of the big 3 are the way to go.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

codo27 posted:

Wtf brings you here? Guessing you work int he energy sector. PM me if you need anything. We're with Koodo, as said above, the offshoots of the big 3 are the way to go.

My wife got a postdoc at MUN. I'll be coming with her. Thanks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Make sure you get a good deal on your phones then cause your eyes are gonna explode out of your head when you see how much some things are here. There are a lot of very lovely apartments for very lovely prices especially in close proximity to the uni, personally I wouldn't want to live near there again. But its not all bad, depends what you want.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
We're subletting a house from someone going on sabbatical, so that seems good. I'm a little worried about food prices, but everything else seems to be close enough to to the rest of Canada for prices.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Well then you got er scald (have it good) then, as we'd say. Let me know if you do decide to go with Koodo, theres a $50 referral bonus

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Public mobile user here. Travelling to Europe for a bit better than 14 days next month. I don't think PM does Europe roaming, so any ideas? Won't use phone much, more for emergencies and tempted to not even bring it but would feel better if I could.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Public mobile user here. Travelling to Europe for a bit better than 14 days next month. I don't think PM does Europe roaming, so any ideas? Won't use phone much, more for emergencies and tempted to not even bring it but would feel better if I could.

Depending on where you're going your best bet is to drop $20 on a prepaid SIM in the airport when you land. You'll get calls and a few gigs of data, so no reason to not use your phone for Google Maps etc.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh really? Is it that easy? Would I need a computer to activate it or just plug and go?

Going to Monte Carlo (and onward from there, cruise ship), but via Munich airport so I would hope there would be stores there?

e: What about something like this?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01FI1JW72/ref=psdc_3379582011_t1_B06XBYMX58

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 7, 2018

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Oh really? Is it that easy? Would I need a computer to activate it or just plug and go?

Going to Monte Carlo and onward from there, cruise ship), but via Munich airport so I would hope there would be stores there?

e: What about something like this?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01FI1JW72/ref=psdc_3379582011_t1_B06XBYMX58

Looks like you'd want the Orange Holiday SIM.

https://topup.orange.com/faq-transpays/faq-about-orange-holiday-france-offer/

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I need to get an in car cell phone repeater/booster.

Are the non FCC compliant chinese ones better for in the woods ? My chinese vhf radios are much more functional than FCC compliant ones. Curious if this is the same for boosters. I'm pretty remote so I don't really need to worry about giving out bad interference, but I'm often alone way out in the woods doing hazardous material work and it would be nice to have a cell signal.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
FCC doesn't cover canada champ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I dont think hes worried about the legality of it.