Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Hell yeah I want me some free Gonen Segev! I could use a new garden ornament.

That's the only funny thing about Israel recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Bennett focusing on the important things:
https://twitter.com/naftalibennett/status/1009356944166047744

Too bad we don't have a :dance:+:jewish:. We could call it :hora:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How many other countries have had their ministers of education spitball hosting ethnic orgies?

Like, I hope at least some of the hebrew tweets are saying "what the gently caress"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Birthright is already a thing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Here we got two MVPs:

And this guy asks if he would be allowed to marry a man should he meet one, or would they have to go abroad for basic human rights.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
in mildly entertaining news: the US resigned its seat on the UN's human rights commission. evidently for reasons unrelated to child concentration camps, but, well, the timing raises eyebrows.

and Israeli diplomats are busily saying WHOA HEY WHO'S GONNA VETO ALL THE CONDEMNATIONS NOW

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ze Pollack posted:

in mildly entertaining news: the US resigned its seat on the UN's human rights commission. evidently for reasons unrelated to child concentration camps, but, well, the timing raises eyebrows.

and Israeli diplomats are busily saying WHOA HEY WHO'S GONNA VETO ALL THE CONDEMNATIONS NOW

Eh. Saudi Arabia was the chair of the human rights council a couple years ago. The whole thing just exists for political theater. The US can still veto anything binding. This is meant to further delegitimize the UN, based on things like their "chronic bias towards Israel." The funny part is that doing this right in the middle of the family separation outcry is that if anything it's just going to legitimize the council.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Netanyahu just got indicted

sara netanyahu

also

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/hamas-paid-gaza-family-to-claim-baby-died-by-tear-gas-israel-says-1.6197759

quote:

Under interrogation in Israel, Omar, who is Layla al-Ghandour's cousin, said Hamas leader Sinwar paid the baby's family 8,000 shekels ($2,200) to accuse Israel of the death of the 8-month-old. The claim came despite the fact that members of the family had previously said that she died of a blood disorder, a condition that the baby's six-month-old brother apparently also died of last year.

:thunk:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1010465634063474693

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

What are his chances? Please don't tell me he's completely unelectable.

e: vvvv I'll keep up hope then.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 23, 2018

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

By popular demand posted:

It's possible but not likely. Maybe better once more people understand what a fuckup Brexit is.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

pretty solid tbqh

may has hosed up Quite Badly and the vote that was supposed to bury him put him in spitting distance of the big seat

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Everyone "serious" was convinced he was unelectable until the previous elections were called. Then this happened: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Opinion_polling_UK_2020_election_short_axis.png

He's got a real chance and he's the real deal.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah labour was supposed to get wiped out and almost took control.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's quite telling how a minor thing like the position that Palestinians exist is the best thing we can hope for.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Jeremy Corbyn is absolutely the prime minister following the next election. He's an incredible campaigner and gets his base really fired up. He's also got a real message rather than the tories which was "eh, vote us so those guys don't get in".

There's definitely parallels between Labour/Tories and Trump/Clinton. Clinton basically had no effective messaging, her campaign policies were in alphabetical order on her website for gently caress sake.

e: literally the only thing that can damage jezza right now are mps in his own party.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzuKaTuk_lw

he has no chance.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Stephen Collins predicted that Prime Minister Corbyn would offer a pot of jam to President Trump, and that was before the US elections of 2016, so I believe in Corbyn's chances.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The one thing that the politoons thread taught me is that Corbyn is a jammy bastard.
And also that British cartoonists do grotesque way better than Americans.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this video is always a good pick me up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I need to get my filthy mitts on this book next time I'm in Israel:

https://twitter.com/MazMHussain/status/1010607333997760512

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I get all my knowledge of Jezza from the British right wing, which treats him as a left-wing Trump with his defeat as a foregone conclusion. So I've heard only good things.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

"I do condemn Israel's continued occupation; however I just consider that anyone actively trying to do something about it is infinitely worse."

It is worse to do things that will actively make the conflict worse and also are unconscionably discriminatory. If you actually care about the occupation, support groups like B'Tselem or the New Israel Fund.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was weird finding out finkelstein is anti-bds.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Groovelord Neato posted:

Must have even been weirder to find out his arguments are eerily similar to those of KJI wasn't it?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

The guy can't get enough of that Sabra!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

On the subject of his opposition to BDS, here's what he says:

quote:

In fact, BDS has proven to be a bonanza for Israel. First, if you look at the genesis of Israel’s current BDS hysteria, it’s illuminating to pinpoint exactly when it began. It started right after Netanyahu was defeated on the Iran issue. Netanyahu and his cronies thrive on conjuring up enemies who allegedly want to destroy Israel. So they manufactured this hysteria about Iran, but it didn’t work because the West wanted to cut a deal. I wasn’t surprised it didn’t work. I’ve said many times, when it comes to critical US foreign policy interests, the Israel lobby is impotent. On Iran, the lobby couldn’t even count on the African-American senator from New Jersey, Cory Booker, who was a darling of the lobby and one of the founders of Yale’s Jewish society. When Iran was off the agenda, Netanyahu needed a new Great Satan that was bent on Israel’s destruction. So he grasped at BDS. It became the new pretext for Israel to play victim.

Second, Israel was getting nervous as international public opinion turned against it. What did it do? It claimed that all criticism of Israel was at heart BDS, and that BDS was about destroying Israel. By inflating the threat posed by BDS; and by redefining BDS to encompass all opposition to it, including European Union and church initiatives wholly divorced from BDS; and by subsuming under the rubric of BDS the campaigns in the West that only targeted the settlements and the occupation—by exaggerating the reach and potency of BDS, Israel could delegitimize even its most tepid but also most ominous critics. It could now allege that even they were really, whatever they might avow, seeking Israel’s destruction. The irony is, while Netanyahu wails that BDS wants to delegitimize Israel, in fact, he is manipulating BDS to delegitimize principled criticism of the occupation and settlements.

Third, once Israel began to lose Western public opinion, it had one strategy: change the subject. If it talked about human rights, it couldn’t win. It’s not going to win on human rights, it’s not going to win on the occupation. So, whenever you talk about human rights, Israel wants to talk about anti-Semitism. Whenever you talk about the occupation, it wants to talk about double standards—What about Darfur, What about Syria? Keep changing the subject. That’s its strategy. Now with BDS, it’s been really brilliant. You have to give credit where credit is due. Nobody talks about the blockade of Gaza anymore, it’s all about BDS: Is BDS anti-Semitic? Does BDS want to destroy Israel? It gets to play the victim card again. It has succeeded in changing the subject. But it must also be said that BDS made it very easy for Israel, by refusing to recognize its legality as a state within the pre-June 1967 borders. BDS enabled Israel to wrap itself in the cloak of victimhood. When the New York Times opens its columns to debates on Zionism, Mondoweiss says it’s a historic breakthrough. But the Israelis actually relish it. Let’s talk about Zionism. Let’s talk about BDS. Let’s talk about everything, everything—except what Israel is doing to the Palestinians.

And that's exactly what KJI is doing here. People talk about the latest atrocities perpetrated by Israel against its captive population, and KJI barges in, going "mbut BDS bad, you know!" as a way to derail the conversation. Instead of talking about what Israel's doing, we now talk about whether BDS is really antisemitic or whatever other pointless digression.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t buy that argument, because Israel has proven time and time again that they will find some thin excuse for their behavior no matter what.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I didn't forget that Israel was committing atrocities while people were telling KJI he's a dumabass. :shrug:

That's the weird thing about so called "distractions"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t buy that argument, because Israel has proven time and time again that they will find some thin excuse for their behavior no matter what.

Yeah and they'll find any excuse to slander any opposition towards the occupation. It doesn't matter what BDS does, they were always going to be labeled as anti-semitic on principle because they don't kiss Likud's rear end. There's no alternate way to go about pushing for Israel to be ostracized from the global community a la South Africa to incentivize them to do right by the Palestinians that would avoid those criticisms.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cat Mattress posted:

And that's exactly what KJI is doing here. People talk about the latest atrocities perpetrated by Israel against its captive population, and KJI barges in, going "mbut BDS bad, you know!" as a way to derail the conversation. Instead of talking about what Israel's doing, we now talk about whether BDS is really antisemitic or whatever other pointless digression.

Before BDS we talked for how many years about the latest atrocities perpetrated by Israel? And last I checked that did jack poo poo, so eh.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There is nothing that will work besides international political or economic pressure.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The only thing that has ever had an effect is direct, firm and consistent pressure from the sitting president.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Disinterested posted:

The only thing that has ever had an effect is direct, firm and consistent pressure from the sitting president.

the only things firm and consistent about Trump are his bowel movements.

Just kidding.

They're actually a 7 on the Bristol Stool Chart.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah but KJI is a loving liar and Finkelstein isn't?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/1007301941540655106?s=19
KJI's alt account spotted
https://m.imgur.com/a/U503Lu3

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Ultramega posted:

Yeah but KJI is a loving liar and Finkelstein isn't?

I think Cat Mattress saying KJI is doing what Finkelstein is claiming will happen, not that they have the same opinion.

I don't think Finkelstein's arguments are very KJI-like. Finkelstein seems to disagree on some of the tactics and doesn't muddy the waters with lies.

I don't think I agree with Finkelstein on this but I don't think it matters either, because he spills his ink exposing the engines of occupation and dismantling Israeli propaganda, not hand-wringing about BDS.

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 28, 2018

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The most fanatic Trump supporters I know are also Israel-Firsters and Jewish and sadly relatives of my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:(:hf::(