Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Yeah, they've been doing that for a while. It's working out just as well as you'd expect, although I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft were super-happy with the change. "People are so much more engaged! Sure, it's a load of "Actually Trump's policies are great" gibberish but hey -- look at the number of likes!"

Anyway, since I'm posting screenshots: if I've never heard of a company I'll check its Glassdoor page and uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
:laffo: Sure I got botulism, but CASUAL WORK ATTIRE!

I wonder if food services causing poisoning counts as a worker’s comp eligible claim?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

VanguardFelix posted:

:laffo: Sure I got botulism, but CASUAL WORK ATTIRE!

I wonder if food services causing poisoning counts as a worker’s comp eligible claim?

Actually this weightloss regime is a mandatory activity that counts towards your fitness goals. You will of course not be reimbursed for food which has been thrown up.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Eric the Mauve posted:

You might think HBO added extra rape when adapting from the books because HBO but in fact if anything HBO toned it down

If I remember right, the original books also include necrophilia and some pretty hardcore sadism.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Tnuctip posted:

Actually this weightloss regime is a mandatory activity that counts towards your fitness goals. You will of course not be reimbursed for food which has been thrown up.

What kind of company has fitness goals?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

What kind of company has fitness goals?

My former employer and current employer both have on-site fitness centers and both did some sort of Biggest Loser-style competition each year. Keeping your employees healthy and active is a good way to keep your health care costs down, though in neither case were you required to participate or use the facilities. Employer-mandated fitness goals sound completely ridiculous and possibly illegal for most industries.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

C-Euro posted:

My former employer and current employer both have on-site fitness centers and both did some sort of Biggest Loser-style competition each year. Keeping your employees healthy and active is a good way to keep your health care costs down, though in neither case were you required to participate or use the facilities. Employer-mandated fitness goals sound completely ridiculous and possibly illegal for most industries.

You can penalize your employees for not participating in fitness and health programs by cutting your contributions to benefit costs and then offering the amount back as an incentive to those who participate. My previous two employers both did this. They reduced contributions toward your insurance premiums by $500 annually, which you regained as a "bonus contribution" for doing all the health and blood panels, voluntary drug testing, BMI / weight stuff, and checking in with a health counselor twice a year (for one of the two companies; the other didn't have the checkins).

I think in the USA it was called illegal to penalize directly (and honestly, I'm not even 100% certain about that or if it was just legally considered risky so nobody did it), but as usual, the roundabout approach amounting to the same thing is perfectly okay.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Insurance companies are very, very big on relentlessly pushing "voluntary" "wellness" programs so as to obtain medical data on employees, which can be helpful for denying claims later.

I've seen several corporate environments in the past couple years--particularly where HR is powerful--where anyone who resisted participating in the Wellness Program was very much branded Not A Team Player by management and told, just short of explicitly, that their refusal to participate was going to move them to the front of the staff cuts line.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 25, 2018

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So it’s one of those “American healthcare is for idiot things”

Which explains why no where I’ve ever worked as an adult would try it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The large company I work for only incentivizes it with poo poo like gift cards (soon to go away due to some Trump tax plan thing I think).

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Large employers are generally self-insured which means they pay all employee health care costs themselves (the insurance company charges a flat amount per person per year in fees and routes all costs to the employer). That means they're generally the most interested in reducing those costs and often have pushed insurance companies to up their game in terms of wellness/etc.

Not only do employers pay for health care costs but their drones lose productivity due to sick days, leaving the office for doctor's visits, and simply working more slowly while sick so they do what they can to keep their worker cogs in good shape. That's why employers were the first to explore the legality of firing people who smoke cigarettes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah and maybe the biggest thing there is that from a cost controlling standpoint it's very helpful to have a good idea of whose health is likely to crater past age ~45 and unload them before that happens.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah and maybe the biggest thing there is that from a cost controlling standpoint it's very helpful to have a good idea of whose health is likely to crater past age ~45 and unload them before that happens.

Yes but that would be not only unethical but also illegal and AH HA HA HA HA SORRY COULDN'T FINISH.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

therobit posted:

Yes but that would be not only unethical but also illegal and AH HA HA HA HA SORRY COULDN'T FINISH.

Soon to be unveiled at companies near you! The new Soylent Early Retirement Package TM, we can guarantee a reduction in your healthcare costs or your money back!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hey uh. I think someone isnt on mute. Can everyone go on mute please?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Can you all go on mute? We can hear you talking in the background.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This dumb fucker over here is saying someone isn't on mute but I don't hear anything-

oh poo poo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[typing in the skype group chat] Someone isn't on mute. Please everyone go on mute.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
NomNomNomnom

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Sleepytime posted:

NomNomNomnom

This username resonates with me today

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I'm the person who says their mute wasn't turning off when they were trying to respond to a question but was actually taking a second to turn off my game sound and set my controller down.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm sorry can you repeat that? My phone broke up a bit. Heh, you know, phones these days.

Translation: I wasn't paying attention until I heard my name so I have no idea what you said.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
[breathing intensifies]

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

*loud door slam, followed by squeaking chair*

"Hey guys what did I miss?"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I was on a Sunday morning outage bridge call a while back and had to pleasure to listen to someone's daughter throw a temper tantrum because she wanted pancakes.

I'm not using the word "pleasure" ironically. It was really funny.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

*morning zoo show from another part of the country*
*wind noise, car horns*

"Hey it's me, I'm on the road, can I get a recap?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Ubiquitous video conferencing is magical and I can never go back to voice bridges holy poo poo

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
*babies screaming in the background*
*dog barks*
"Sorry, someone stepped into my office for a second. Could you repeat that last part?"

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
*rapid and loud typing as if the mic is inside the keyboard nonstop*

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
*hold music*

I’d be remiss to not repost the amazing conferencecall.biz site here

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
WHO JUST JOINED THE CALL?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Not related to conference calls

Coworker: *looks at folder of document change request that are emails sent to me with labels reflecting their contents*

*Creates text document called [Tool Name] to make change request*

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

"Hey sorry can everyone hold on for just one second? I just need to take care of something real fast."

*leaves forever*

"I heard six or seven beeps just now, who just joined?"

*everyone answers at the exact same time*

"I'm sorry, who just joined?

*everyone answers at the exact same time again*

disjoe fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 25, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
We really should just embed conferencecall.biz as the background for this thread and call it a day.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sundae posted:

We really should just embed conferencecall.biz as the background for this thread and call it a day.

That's just cruel and unusual punishment.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
*breathes heavily into microphone with the occasional grunt*

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Paging Moneyball to the corporate thread

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sundae posted:

my office has a conferencecall.biz endurance challenge - how long can you listen before you give up? we all sit around it in someones office, you can leave at any time, winner is declared the Conference Call Master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Could you please go back to the last slide?"
*Presenter goes back*
"What does that number mean?"
*Explains*
"Oh okay."
*Presenter goes forward*
"Wait I'm sorry could you please go back to the last slide again real quick?"