Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Shameful admission that while I'm good at rallies I'm a insanely jumpy guy so it's *absurdly* easy to get a service ace on me. Like to the point my cheeks are red and I hang my head in shame half the time I'm playing.

When it's against bots it's fine but iunno, playing against others puts a weird amount of self inflected pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So whats the correct way to block zone shots? Just use zone speed all the time?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dexo posted:

Does anyone else feel bad beating and perfecting what are clearly children in like the first two rounds in tournament.

I assume the children are the players that are way better than me and everyone I can beat is an old dad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I assume the children are the players that are way better than me and everyone I can beat is an old dad.

This.

Kids can be ruthless (Dylan :argh: )

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That blooper boss is fun as hell. I can see how he may be difficult if you don’t have trick shots down though. I thought it would be a lot harder from all the complaints I see. I’m having more trouble with the Kamek stage right after.

Popete posted:

So whats the correct way to block zone shots? Just use zone speed all the time?

They’re not too bad to block without once you get the timing down. Return them right when the ball is close to your character. Only use zone speed when it looks like they’re going to be out of reach.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 25, 2018

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Decided to give blooper a rest for now and try a CPU tourney. Mushroom cup is really easy, just totally disrespected Mario with a last racket breaking return ace championship point :madmax:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’re not too bad to block without once you get the timing down. Return them right when the ball is close to your character. Only use zone speed when it looks like they’re going to be out of reach.

I guess I have old man reflexes because unlike in Adventure mode, for me Vs. Zone Shots are too fast for me to tell whether they are going for a body shot or open court without zone speed. Either I hold down zone speed from the beginning, or take a 50/50 chance that it's going for me (and usually take racket damage)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
A bit more transparency about how this game works would go miles. I drop a lob shot several feet from my opponent and they effortlessly return it to me. They land a drop shot directly in front of me and I can't return the ball. Why?

saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Wildtortilla posted:

A bit more transparency about how this game works would go miles. I drop a lob shot several feet from my opponent and they effortlessly return it to me. They land a drop shot directly in front of me and I can't return the ball. Why?

please stop posting about how bad youa re at this game it is very tedious

Wendell
May 11, 2003

They saw the white trail and anticipated the drop shot, adjusting their play accordingly. You pressed the swing button a little too soon, preventing your character from reaching the ball despite it seemingly being at your feet.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Wendell posted:

They saw the white trail and anticipated the drop shot, adjusting their play accordingly. You pressed the swing button a little too soon, preventing your character from reaching the ball despite it seemingly being at your feet.

Hey, thanks for the clarification!

saltyslug posted:

please stop posting about how bad youa re at this game it is very tedious

Sorry for posting impressions and asking questions. I'll adjust my foruming accordingly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah drop shots punish early charge commitment. Once I realize it's a drop shot and I have been charging, I have to mash on the button to switch to a power shot and hope I can dig it out

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
What's the consensus on this game? I love Mario Tennis but I have no IRL friends and I heard the online was terrible.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Scags posted:

What's the consensus on this game? I love Mario Tennis but I have no IRL friends and I heard the online was terrible.

The online is great. It was terrible in the demo because of lag issues that the full game fixed. There is a fighting game like learning curve to this game so if you’re the kinda person that gets angry at being owned instead of using it as a learning experience then I’d skip it.

There is single player that’s okay with but it serves more as a tutorial for online.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Scags posted:

Having spent most of the weekend with this game I would say wait a couple months for it to drop in price if that’s your situation. Even if you’re good at the game it’s still really shallow.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Scags posted:

I kind of regret my purchase, but not that much. I'd recommend buying second-hand or for cheap if possible. Ultimately try to get it physical so you can trade it in if necessary. I got it digital and that's that. I"ll come to enjoy it once I get Hollow Knight and Splatoon out of my system.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Wildtortilla posted:

Hey, thanks for the clarification!

Sorry for posting impressions and asking questions. I'll adjust my foruming accordingly.

Something for you to keep in mind you can cancel your charge shot by hitting L if you started charging and realize it's a drop shot cancel to run toward the ball for a hit. The problem here is that if you're far away and manage to hit the ball it's going to be a weak shot. If it's a weak shot your opponent will have the advantage for the rest of the rally unless they make an error or you manage to pull off a trick shot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've enjoyed my time with this game but I feel like it should have been 40 dollars.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Scags posted:

The game is really fun when it works. For example, I had two great matches and then in the third round I lost because my trick shots didn't move me, instead I went through the movement animation while remaining in place. Also my gyro controls turned themselves off in that same game.

JackDarko posted:

Something for you to keep in mind you can cancel your charge shot by hitting L if you started charging and realize it's a drop shot cancel to run toward the ball for a hit. The problem here is that if you're far away and manage to hit the ball it's going to be a weak shot. If it's a weak shot your opponent will have the advantage for the rest of the rally unless they make an error or you manage to pull off a trick shot.

I'm working on canceling shots. It's not a natural response for me... I still have to think about how to do it, but I'm getting there.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
You can turn off the R Stick for Trick SHots, but why cant you turn off the Double Tap X? Cause I gently caress up and use Tricks Shots way too often because of it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I've enjoyed my time with this game but I feel like it should have been 40 dollars.

I agree with this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just never hit X, it's terrible. Use the right stick for trick shots. use A+B and B+A for lobs and drops. X is only there as a concession for using single joycons. Nintendo should release a circle pad pro for Joycons.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Just never hit X, it's terrible.

This should be in the thread title considering how often people complain about it :v:

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Scags posted:

To add yet another weigh-in on this, there are a lot of little things missing that annoy me, but I have fun with the online and the gameplay in general.

The stuff I wish was in this,

CPU Vs CPU matches
Ranked Doubles (Though, honestly, having a random teammate doesn't sound like a good idea)
The ability to play Tennis games longer than 1 set (Seriously, Nintendo? Not even the championship match is longer than one set of two games?!)
More options for just playing free mode online without having to invite friends ( I mean, just look at all these options you can't do anything with.)
Also, though you can specify the stage you play in in Free Play, it's not nearly as user-friendly as any of the previous games in the series.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Next question: I am getting pretty good at countering special shots. However I was just playing as Toadette against Luigi, and I went through the same motions as I always do to block them, but Toadette wouldn't swing at the ball? I don't understand what I was doing wrong. I was using zone speed to get next to the ball and pressing Y. Instead of swinging and missing or swinging and breaking a racket, nothing happened. Just kept running passed the ball. For a point of reference, the previous game I blocked 4/4 special shots that were sent at me.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The game feels super rushed. The core mechanics are pretty good but man literally everything else is super bare bones. Pretty much all the UI needs a round of polish and has way too many pointless dialogs.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Also, haha, looks like free play doubles only gives each player one racket so when any one player's racket breaks the other team just wins.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
with a MK8-style UI and at least 2x more offline cups would’ve made this a killer game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

leftist heap posted:

The game feels super rushed. The core mechanics are pretty good but man literally everything else is super bare bones. Pretty much all the UI needs a round of polish and has way too many pointless dialogs.

I disagree. They literally released an alpha of this game on Wii U as a full release for the same price.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Just never hit X, it's terrible. Use the right stick for trick shots. use A+B and B+A for lobs and drops. X is only there as a concession for using single joycons. Nintendo should release a circle pad pro for Joycons.

I disagree? I've had a few annoying mis-inputs with the right stick, and I find using the left stick and double-tap X to be more precise and more comfortable.

I think this might come down to personal preference though.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I don't disagree that they very easily could have jammed more single player content, customization, cosmetics, MUSIC etc etc into the game - it's hard to tell if they just wanted to release a very straightforward classic gameplay oriented competitive game with few bells and whistles or was it actually rushed out? Will it receive a lot of post release support? Balance patches, free DLC (Mario Golf World Tour on 3DS has fantastic DLC), paid DLC, etc etc etc

EDIT: I think the core mechanics and actual gameplay are loving great and I really enjoy this game, but I do hope that they end up supporting it down the line and beefing it up with free poo poo

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I finally managed to win a game online! It was a pretty close game against what I assume is a child, but winning feels good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Boo rally tips? :(

[Ed] I got gud

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 26, 2018

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Man I am so bad at this game. My new thing is the past four games, which wasn't a thing during the demo or all weekend, is to land all my trick shots, but send them back as lobs. I don't know what I'm doing differently, but I'm certainly doing something wrong!

Does single player offer worth while instruction of how the game's mechanics work?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You haven't played the single player? it puts you in several situations where you have to use the mechanics of the game to pass.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

You haven't played the single player? it puts you in several situations where you have to use the mechanics of the game to pass.

I haven't because the game made sense to me during the demo weekend and my win percent was 28% higher than it is now. I played a few matches in SP and it seemed like a stream of mini games and I don't really enjoy mini games. I'll give it a shot if it'll demystify things.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If your Trick Shot is late and requires Zone Speed but you don't have enough meter to legitimately reach the ball, it converts the shot into a lob

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If your Trick Shot is late and requires Zone Speed but you don't have enough meter to legitimately reach the ball, it converts the shot into a lob

Ooooh. Thanks!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Just try to focus on doing back trick shots at first, those are by far the easiest to do and gain meter instead of spend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Goodguy3 posted:

Also, though you can specify the stage you play in in Free Play, it's not nearly as user-friendly as any of the previous games in the series.

I don't know why people complain so much about stage selection. You press a single button to turn all stages off, and then enable the ones you want. The only easier thing I could think of is like smash stage selection, and then you couldn't select multiple stages to switch between.