Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I didn't like Kraken either, it seems to be his most divisive work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I wasn’t really a fan of Kraken. I mean, it wasn’t bad, but it didn’t really bring anything new to the table like a lot of his other works did for me.

Goss and Subby were Croup and Vandemar from Neverwhere. To a T.

Nah both Croup and Vandemar had personalities

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Goss and Subby never really got to anything interesting; they're the weakest part of Kraken in my opinion. I liked the rest a lot, though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Goss was a big bad and a vehicle for some bad cockney-like dialogue. Smoked occasionally. Everyone was afeared of him.

That's what I got mostly

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Goss' line about Happy Kites always makes me giggle though.
Anyway, I've caught the first episode of TC&TC. The palette differences between the two cities are really pleasing. (And apparently I've been pronouncing Beszel incorrectly this whole time...)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Kraken really dragged through the middle for me, there’s a point in the storyline where the plot isn’t really going anywhere and the book just brings out more and more elements about occult London without really explaining those elements. There is more or less an exposition dump by the end but this was one of the few of his books which I really struggled to get through.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Bilirubin posted:

some bad cockney-like dialogue.

This was most definitely on purpose, since China itself is a cockney slang word.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah but his name is unrelated.

Double checked it on wikipedia (it was picked purely because of how it sounds), and it turns out his mom is from New York. Didn’t expect that.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just got a copy of This Census Taker on the cheap. How disappointing will this decision prove to be?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That is the only one of his books that haven’t done anything for me, i would be prepared for disappointment.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Oasx posted:

That is the only one of his books that haven’t done anything for me, i would be prepared for disappointment.

:yossame:

I would not say it was bad but I think that’s a good way to put it, it just didn’t do anything for me. It’s kind of inscrutable. There are fan theories that it is set in Bas-Lag.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Just got a copy of This Census Taker on the cheap. How disappointing will this decision prove to be?

It's really good

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

I loved it, but I'm in the minority.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Bold Robot posted:

There are fan theories that it is set in Bas-Lag.

The hints about that lean much more towards blatant, in my opinion.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

The hints about that lean much more towards blatant, in my opinion.

But there's also hints that contradicts this, like the fact that the technology seems way too advanced.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

But there's also hints that contradicts this, like the fact that the technology seems way too advanced.
Iron Council is all about a mid/late-1800s tech setting, albeit with some magitek boosting it. The Scar features riflemen with highly maneuverable one-person aerostats that people strap themselves into, which is really advanced compared to the trains/ironclads that are in the rest of the setting. I'm not sure you could easily pin down where New Crobuzon is, but they're pretty drat advanced and I never thought anything in The Census-Taker was out of line.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Oasx posted:

I didn't like Kraken either, it seems to be his most divisive work.

I can't stand Kraken because it triggers my compulsive and uncontrollable need to assert that a teleporter is not, under any sane conception of a physical universe, a suicide machine. LOOK ITS JUST HAPPENED AGAINM akgrgjlgfd :unsmigghh:

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

General Battuta posted:

I can't stand Kraken because it triggers my compulsive and uncontrollable need to assert that a teleporter is not, under any sane conception of a physical universe, a suicide machine. LOOK ITS JUST HAPPENED AGAINM akgrgjlgfd :unsmigghh:

But Kraken is not a physical universe, there are demonstrably souls of some sort connected to physical bodies.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The teleporter guy is probably the best joke in kraken.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah I have to admit as a joke/clever construct in an urban fantasy book it's pretty good, and it jives with the book's overriding theme about different modes of embodiment.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

General Battuta posted:

In the sense that you can transmit the actual matter of a person from point A to point B in theory? Or, in the sense that disintegration and reproduction of you on the atomic level shouldn't be considered murder?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Back, devil! Get thee behind me! I won't be seduced!

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

General Battuta posted:

How do you square these teleporter ethics with the quantum state of the mind?

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

General Battuta posted:

I think some posters from the Altered Carbon TVIV thread could really elevate this discussion.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Much as I love arguing about teleporters, I have some more serious bad news:

http://bidisha-online.blogspot.com/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html

The author doesn't mention Mieville by name but by all accounts, that's who she's talking about.

I also just found out that he co-authored a book with Zak Smith, who is notorious in the tabletop gaming community for being a serial harasser and all-around piece of poo poo.

I'm actually kind of broken up about this because Mieville is one of the relatively few artists who I respected for their views and personal character. It's not new information, either, that post is from 2012, I'm just only hearing of it now.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Much as I love arguing about teleporters, I have some more serious bad news:

http://bidisha-online.blogspot.com/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html

The author doesn't mention Mieville by name but by all accounts, that's who she's talking about.

I also just found out that he co-authored a book with Zak Smith, who is notorious in the tabletop gaming community for being a serial harasser and all-around piece of poo poo.

I'm actually kind of broken up about this because Mieville is one of the relatively few artists who I respected for their views and personal character. It's not new information, either, that post is from 2012, I'm just only hearing of it now.

Jesus that's a long post. Am I correct that the gist of it is he has a history of: 1) saying romantic poo poo to women to get them in bed, 2) cheat on women by repeating step 1 with other women, 3) playing semantics games once caught cheating in an attempt to absolve himself, and then 4) threaten legal action if they publicly accuse him of being a cheater?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dienes posted:

Jesus that's a long post. Am I correct that the gist of it is he has a history of: 1) saying romantic poo poo to women to get them in bed, 2) cheat on women by repeating step 1 with other women, 3) playing semantics games once caught cheating in an attempt to absolve himself, and then 4) threaten legal action if they publicly accuse him of being a cheater?

Not just cheating but emotional abuse generally, but otherwise yeah, that's the gist of it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I read that a while ago and didn't really know what to make of it. I don't want to dismiss it but it's so vague it's hard to go on, so I've kept an eye out for anything else about it and have never seen anything :shrug: I mean if he's a lovely serial cheater that sucks but I genuinely can't work out what the claim of emotional abuse is referring to. What did he do?

The legal threats are probably the most troubling and weird part of the whole thing even if the rest isn't true. I dunno.

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Hot news from 2012.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Wxhode posted:

Hot news from 2012.

It does say updated June 2018 at the top there

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I read that a while ago and didn't really know what to make of it. I don't want to dismiss it but it's so vague it's hard to go on, so I've kept an eye out for anything else about it and have never seen anything :shrug: I mean if he's a lovely serial cheater that sucks but I genuinely can't work out what the claim of emotional abuse is referring to. What did he do?

The legal threats are probably the most troubling and weird part of the whole thing even if the rest isn't true. I dunno.

Every time I read that article it seems more like a terrible break up than an abusive relationship. I agree though that it's a little too vague to draw any real conclusions- especially legal ones.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Wayback Machined the Publisher's Weekly blog post with his response.

China Miéville posted:

When I met the writer several years ago, I liked and respected her greatly, and we were very briefly involved. I was in an open relationship with my partner, of which I made the writer fully aware. I quickly came to understand that I’d made wrong assumptions and errors of emotional responsibility. I regretted and apologized for these at the time, and subsequently. Much of what’s said in the piece, however, is simply untrue, and my interpretation of the events is very different.

He could be a monster or a garden-variety cad, or this could be a standard-issue bad breakup with someone who wasn't cut out for being a side piece. Still giving me a serious case of the icks.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

spite house posted:

Wayback Machined the Publisher's Weekly blog post with his response.

He could be a monster or a garden-variety cad, or this could be a standard-issue bad breakup with someone who wasn't cut out for being a side piece. Still giving me a serious case of the icks.

I know enough open relationship/poly people for this drama to be tale as old as time.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What did Mieville work on with Zak S?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

What did Mieville work on with Zak S?

A children's book called The Worst Breakfast.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Dienes posted:

I know enough open relationship/poly people for this drama to be tale as old as time.

Doubly so for people that enjoy power exchange in that sort of setup. Some people use all that as an excuse or cover for poo poo behaviour, though.
Point being, talk with everyone involved, constantly, about what is going on and expectations.

*the more you know*

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Per the author's blog, I'm willing to bet that the recent legal threats were related to a short film she currently has on the festival circuit, which is 1. uh, quite something and 2. very clearly about whatever this was. Nine years later. If nothing else, the homie's shot selection is loving terrible.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

This Census-Taker was really good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just finished The City and The City
The way Bowden exploited the unseeing and how Dhatt and Corwi was completely paralyzed by it was fun. And that Mahalia was murdered because she realized that there wasn't some big conspiracy was a neat twist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

General Battuta posted:

What if you teleported the person one cell at a time over a period of years, like replacing the individual boards that comprise a ship?