Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

The fact that they aren't scraping every single bit of data about you is a nice feeling.

My entire life is in Google's ecosystem so the main thing keeping me from an iPhone is actually the fact that it's so difficult to pass that data along to Google. I want Google Maps to hold detailed location data for every day of my life. I prefer that Google know every website I visit.

I know we have weirdos in this very thread who seem to not want an iPhone because they hate things that work but also don't want Google to spy on them all the time which is just ridiculous. The fact is that Android is specifically designed to funnel data to Google, it's its raison d'être, and there's no point trying to fight that. Either you're comfortable with that and accept it or you aren't and you should use an iPhone. I'm obviously in the former camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

Honestly I've thought about going over to iOS just because of their gently caress the Police stance which I unequivocally support but a well thought out security model would be a nice side benefit.
I've been an every year Nexus user since the Galaxy Nexus (excluding the 6, didn't buy that generation) but if I could stand any aspect of iOS I'd switch for that reason alone.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

That's great stuff.

Honestly I've thought about going over to iOS just because of their gently caress the Police stance which I unequivocally support but a well thought out security model would be a nice side benefit.

Same. I prefer Android 100x in terms of a user experience, but I long for a security mindset as hardcore as Apple's. I want devices that are that locked down.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Got a Pixel 2 XL this week. Is there a case recommendation to go with it?

Also, what apps do I need coming from a Windows phone background? My old phone had a podcast app built in, for example.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

There's an android app thread. But the most recommended podcast app is Pocketcasts.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Anonononomous posted:

Also, what apps do I need coming from a Windows phone background? My old phone had a podcast app built in, for example.

Your current phone does too, in the form of Google Play Music but there's also Google's podcast app which of course used to be in the Google app itself. In any case Pocketcasts is the app you really want.

Really the only app you should get right now is Google Opinion Rewards which will get you so much Play Store money you'll never need to pay for an app ever again.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Anonononomous posted:

My pixel fabric case generates a lot of compliments.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

couldcareless posted:

Same, and somehow it's lived though daily life without damage.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Thermopyle posted:

There's an android app thread. But the most recommended podcast app is Pocketcasts.

And it was money well spent! I use the Hell out of it every day at work.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

couldcareless posted:

these look nice but my sisters got so dirty within a couple of months she switched it out for something else.

I like spigen cases a lot

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

strap on revenge posted:

these look nice but my sisters got so dirty within a couple of months she switched it out for something else.

The Parallax case from Caseology is sexy as hell

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

couldcareless posted:

I loved my 5x one and was really disappointed when the og pixel didn't get one

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

strap on revenge posted:

They clean pretty easily

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I accidentally dismissed one of the world cup notifications on my Pixel, anyone know how I can get em back?

EDIT: Google read my post cause it came back without me doing anything.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 25, 2018

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

El Grillo posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to adjust depth of field effect on pixel 2's camera? In really bright conditions it should be able to take photos that get both close foreground and background in focus, right? I'm sure I've had phones able to e.g. take a photo of a pint on a pub table and get the background scenery in focus. Disclaimer: I don't know how cell phone cameras work.

There's no way to edit the Portrait mode DOF effect, but even without portrait mode there's going to be a limit to how much is in focus if you focus on something really close to you. If you keep the closest in-focus object at least like 4-5 feet away you'll have a better chance of getting more background stuff in focus as well. This is just a function of the optics in the lens.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yep, we're back to the feed recommending me "articles" on obviously super shady warez/serials/cracks websites based on me googling a Microsoft support page about Windows 10 activation on my phone one single time.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
For me the feed is: story about topic I'm not interested in. I tell it that. Refresh the feed. Same story, this time with a keyword for the person involved in the story. Still not interested. Refresh feed, same story again, this time under the 'trending' keyword.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

On one hand I don't want to complain too loudly that they're not curating the content for malware related stuff, because who knows what they'd choose to label that in the future. On the other hand, guys, I'm sure that despite my efforts to sabotage data gathering efforts on my PC, you have a shitload of information on me and a single Google search shouldn't skew the content of the feed so badly.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

On one hand I don't want to complain too loudly that they're not curating the content for malware related stuff, because who knows what they'd choose to label that in the future. On the other hand, guys, I'm sure that despite my efforts to sabotage data gathering efforts on my PC, you have a shitload of information on me and a single Google search shouldn't skew the content of the feed so badly.

It's the same as it is with youtube. Inadvertently click on a video about enthusiast vintage bike riders and you'll see a constant stream of suggested videos on that same topic for weeks, perhaps months, despite not caring about it and never watching anything related to it again.

Like, you have well over a decade of data on me, thousands, probably tens of thousands of video views, Google searches, link clicking. But you choose the random accidental link click as the basis for your leading suggestions. Okay.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Taffer posted:

It's the same as it is with youtube. Inadvertently click on a video about enthusiast vintage bike riders and you'll see a constant stream of suggested videos on that same topic for weeks, perhaps months, despite not caring about it and never watching anything related to it again.

Like, you have well over a decade of data on me, thousands, probably tens of thousands of video views, Google searches, link clicking. But you choose the random accidental link click as the basis for your leading suggestions. Okay.

Watch one gaming YouTuber for a walkthrough, get bombarded with fortnite videos (the ones with the screaming faces in the thumbnails) forever. Scroogled again!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Youtube keeps recommending i watch Gordon Ramsay butcher a huevos rancheros recipe. gently caress off google

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does Android pass through AAC audio data to BT headphones as is, if they support the codec, as iOS ostensibly does, or does it always transcode?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Anyone have the OnePlus 6 yet? How do you like it?

I'm thinking of going with it because my nexus 6p is sluggish. Also the vibration on my nexus is (and always was) too weak, i NEED a smartwatch on me if i want my phone on silent mode otherwise i miss calls and other notifications... how is the vibration on the onpeplus 6?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

My entire life is in Google's ecosystem so the main thing keeping me from an iPhone is actually the fact that it's so difficult to pass that data along to Google. I want Google Maps to hold detailed location data for every day of my life. I prefer that Google know every website I visit.

Chrome works fine on iOS and Google Maps tracks location pretty well (my location history looks pretty much the same as it did back on Android).

The real problem I had with going from Android to iOS was how unstable iOS 11 is and the surprisingly poor quality of a few iOS app (I have several that don't support the screen resolution introduced way back with the 6 Plus). Also iOS notifications are hillariously bad (at least as of 11) - while you do hear complaints in reviews they never articulate just how bad it is in actual usage.

Swings and roundabouts though, at least the hardware is solid and accessories are easy to get.

BTW before you grab any SE for parents make sure they can cope with the size - it's a really tiny phone and not at all good for aging eyes (both of my parents have given up on their iPhone 5s and gone to larger phones)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

Chrome works fine on iOS and Google Maps tracks location pretty well (my location history looks pretty much the same as it did back on Android).

The real problem I had with going from Android to iOS was how unstable iOS 11 is and the surprisingly poor quality of a few iOS app (I have several that don't support the screen resolution introduced way back with the 6 Plus). Also iOS notifications are hilariously bad (at least as of 11) - while you do hear complaints in reviews they never articulate just how bad it is in actual usage.

Swings and roundabouts though, at least the hardware is solid and accessories are easy to get.

It's like you can see into soul and are addressing exactly the fears I have about it. For Chrome/Maps, it seems like yes, I can use them but you can't make them defaults which is just annoying. That and of course Assistant which I use 20-30 times a day. Not being able to completely disable Safari, Apple Maps, and Siri makes iOS seem like a nonstarter.

The notifications though is where I'm genuinely curious about how bad they could be. I know they're terrible and everyone says they are (they're certainly terrible on macOS), but pretty much the only thing I do on my phone now is act on notifications. How does one transition from "the only reason I pick up my phone is to act on a notification" to notifications being both worthless and broken?

Part of me would like to try iOS just to see if I could deal with the differences but it sure does present itself as Not for Me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Your current phone does too, in the form of Google Play Music but there's also Google's podcast app which of course used to be in the Google app itself. In any case Pocketcasts is the app you really want.

Really the only app you should get right now is Google Opinion Rewards which will get you so much Play Store money you'll never need to pay for an app ever again.

Yeah I'm up to like $18 currently from the opinion rewards app thing. Haven't had to pay for an app in ages.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mister Fister posted:

I'm thinking of going with it because my nexus 6p is sluggish. Also the vibration on my nexus is (and always was) too weak, i NEED a smartwatch on me if i want my phone on silent mode otherwise i miss calls and other notifications... how is the vibration on the onpeplus 6?

I have one and its great but the vibration is lacking.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a solid USB A to C cord I can snag from Amazon Prime or a Best Buy? I forgot mine for my Pixel and I'd rather not use my work S7 for navigation if I can help it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

hooah posted:

Is there a solid USB A to C cord I can snag from Amazon Prime or a Best Buy? I forgot mine for my Pixel and I'd rather not use my work S7 for navigation if I can help it.

I've had no problems with the Anker ones.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

incogneato posted:

I've had no problems with the Anker ones.

I'd say this or Amazon Basics.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I'd pick anything from this list. Anker and amazonbasics are both fine, but if you want to pick it up at a B&M, you're more likely to find belkin products

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Probably a weird request here. Recently my phone was launched into a fish tank for a few seconds and despite still working upon removal (and lots of drying) it has started having a few issues. Most of them are minor annoyances that I can put up with for a while now, eg: battery doesn't last as long, blue tooth strength/distance is shorter.... But one major issue is that the wifi no longer seems to work.

I can SEE wifi networks - but I can't connect no matter what. I can even see them at around 50-100% signal on the screen, so I'm not sure why I can't connect any longer. Of course this is causing me a lot of trouble with having to watch my data now. Is there some kind of USB adapter that I could use to get my phone connected to at least update and download things while at home / near wifi? Or am I pretty SOL? (phone isn't rooted, and a quick search online makes it sound like I can't use usb to reverse tether when stock?)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

dissss posted:

The real problem I had with going from Android to iOS was how unstable iOS 11 is and the surprisingly poor quality of a few iOS app (I have several that don't support the screen resolution introduced way back with the 6 Plus). Also iOS notifications are hillariously bad (at least as of 11) - while you do hear complaints in reviews they never articulate just how bad it is in actual usage.

BTW before you grab any SE for parents make sure they can cope with the size - it's a really tiny phone and not at all good for aging eyes (both of my parents have given up on their iPhone 5s and gone to larger phones)

Apple will finally group notifications in iOS 12.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

MaxDuo posted:

Probably a weird request here. Recently my phone was launched into a fish tank for a few seconds and despite still working upon removal (and lots of drying) it has started having a few issues. Most of them are minor annoyances that I can put up with for a while now, eg: battery doesn't last as long, blue tooth strength/distance is shorter.... But one major issue is that the wifi no longer seems to work.

I can SEE wifi networks - but I can't connect no matter what. I can even see them at around 50-100% signal on the screen, so I'm not sure why I can't connect any longer. Of course this is causing me a lot of trouble with having to watch my data now. Is there some kind of USB adapter that I could use to get my phone connected to at least update and download things while at home / near wifi? Or am I pretty SOL? (phone isn't rooted, and a quick search online makes it sound like I can't use usb to reverse tether when stock?)

If a factory reset doesn't fix it (and it probably won't, this sounds like a pretty clear case of hardware damage) you're SOL. Just get your data off and get a new phone, even a cheap burner phone is going to be a better experience than what you're dealing with right now and it's only going to get worse.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
If anyone is interested in another 15% off code:
B-4MT9SCDZAMK4X2HW746FHYM

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I got some good news yesterday! A while back I got a notice to enter into a class action lawsuit against Sony because the waterproofing on the Xperia Z3 was defective and caused a lot of device failures. This happened to me and I sent my phone back for repair (which ended up being a replacement) and somehow I ended up on a lawsuit list. I filled out the paperwork a few years ago, mailed it in, and immediately forgot the whole thing.

Yesterday a nice $300 check came to my house and I remembered the whole ordeal. My replacement Z3 is still in my basement in case I need a backup phone, so thanks Sony! :waycool:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

Not a OnePlus and well, it is an LG, but I have heard multiple reviews talk about the vibration on the V30(+) being amazing and something everyone wishes was on the P2XL (that and the V30's screen as well but welp.)

One phone I would happily have again would be a remake of my LG G3. The rear power+vol controls (with maybe a fingerprint reader ala V10), the near bezel-less flat screen way back when, and the plastic metalic looking back that allowed perfectly fine wireless charging would be great even today. LG may have a bad rap from the G5 and the whole 808/810 CPU deathclock issue, but they do make some nice devices. The V30+ is downright sweet in person.

Kinda at this point I wish HTC and LG would team up and make like a V30+ with Front facing speakers. LG speakers suck while HTC can't seem to make a flat screened (or OLED screen) phone to save their life anymore.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

OhFunny posted:

Apple will finally group notifications in iOS 12.

That'll fix like 10% of what is wrong with them

And they'll probably ungroup them again in iOS 15 anyway

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's being reported that the LG V40 will have 5 cameras because if course it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three on the back, one on front, one facing down for junk shots