Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Noir89 posted:

I have nothing against points but manually promoting/converting/moving pops sounds tedious af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Johan is openly saying you won't like Paradox games if you don't want Mana based systems, so thems the breaks, anyway.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if paradox ever make a grand strategy fantasy game where you're a mighty wizard i promise i'll refer to MP as monarch points

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Noir89 posted:

I have nothing against points but manually promoting/converting/moving pops sounds tedious af.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

As soon as anyone uses the word "mana" unironically I immediately disregard what they have to say because it's always bad.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Prav posted:

if paradox ever make a grand strategy fantasy game where you're a mighty wizard i promise i'll refer to MP as monarch points

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ExtraNoise posted:

As soon as anyone uses the word "mana" unironically I immediately disregard what they have to say because it's always bad.
Not emptyquoting.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Look, given that you exist as the true power behind supposed rulers and are clearly hundreds of years old by the end of each game, what do these people think you are if NOT a wizard?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I use "mana" sometimes because points as a word by itself could confuse newbies as to your score or something and "mana" make it explicitly clear I'm referring to generalized points. Though as in my previous post I always point out they're called points.

I could use monarch points but that's offensive to republics you loving legislophobic fuckwads.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jazerus posted:

because during large parts of this time period the majority of roman subjects were not citizens and we know so little about the societal structure of other contemporary states that imposing the roman model on everyone is much easier than any alternative
I mean, I guess this system does ensure that no conquered pops become citizens right away, even if it also means a ton of Roman citizens aren't citizens anymore. Actually, now that I think about it, why would citizens even be their own pop type? Wouldn't they be better represented by that culture being accepted?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

As long as I can depopulate entire regions into ash wastes I will be satisfied.

Especially Carthage. :hist101:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AtomikKrab posted:

Especially Rome. :black101:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

AtomikKrab posted:

Especially the entire barbarian west using my Han Expeditionary Army :unsmigghh:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AtomikKrab posted:

As long as I can sacrifice entire cities to the great rain god Tlaloc and build holy pyramids on the mass graves I will be satisfied.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Redeye Flight posted:

Look, given that you exist as the true power behind supposed rulers and are clearly hundreds of years old by the end of each game, what do these people think you are if NOT a wizard?

So what if you play CK2 and take the Scholarship lifestyle and join the Hermetic Society? What are you, like, a double wizard?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

To be honest it really sounds like Dominions would be more your jam, here

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Mana is fine and a useful abstraction.

What's not fine and a useful abstraction is having nine thousand different kinds of mana that don't interact with each other in any way.

IMO when most people say they hate mana they mean they hate EUIV's bars-filling bloat and how the DLC model means all the systems feel really tacked on, which is entirely fair but OTOH is a criticism of EUIV and no other current paradox game. I guess there's more SLIIIDEEEERS :byodood: types on the forums though.

Like I like pops but Development would be fine if it wasn't just a mana points sink and in some way reacted to things like trade and war, which it doesn't, because it's a DLC feature that's got to remain static for all eternity.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 25, 2018

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ExtraNoise posted:

Yep this 100%, it's never too late to go post on reddit or paradoxplaza where this biting commentary (lol mana kebab lol) will be welcome

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

spectralent posted:

Mana is fine and a useful abstraction.

What's not fine and a useful abstraction is having nine thousand different kinds of mana that don't interact with each other in any way.

IMO when most people say they hate mana they mean they hate EUIV's bars-filling bloat and how the DLC model means all the systems feel really tacked on, which is entirely fair but OTOH is a criticism of EUIV and no other current paradox game. I guess there's more SLIIIDEEEERS :byodood: types on the forums though.

Yeah I’m surprised EU4 does so well because while Vicky and HoI are more my speed I still like CK2 and even Stellaris nowadays but I don’t think I’ve ever made it to 1500 in an EU4 game. It’s just so... bland

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Shark Sandwich posted:

Yeah I’m surprised EU4 does so well because while Vicky and HoI are more my speed I still like CK2 and even Stellaris nowadays but I don’t think I’ve ever made it to 1500 in an EU4 game. It’s just so... bland

I dunno, EUIV's good for war but there's no game outside conquering everything. Which is kinda true of HOI I guess but that's lots more in depth and has tanks.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

imperator might be the game that finally unleashes my inner pedant paradox forums-goer. "Citizen" being distinguished from plebs is gonna make me burst a blood vessel

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Shark Sandwich posted:

Yeah I'm surprised EU4 does so well because while Vicky and HoI are more my speed I still like CK2 and even Stellaris nowadays but I don’t think I’ve ever made it to 1500 in an EU4 game. It’s just so... bland

It does flat country-country play the best out of any Paradox game. CK2 is characters, Vicky is internal development, HOI is war. They all overlap to some degree of course but EU4 has the best geo-political diplomatic etc gameplay out of all of them, and there's really not any other game that does it. The period in world history with an ever expanding world and so on is really suitable for the kind of game it is too. Plus the countries and historical context fill in a lot of the gaps and stop it from being bland for a lot of people; I think if there was a game with the same mechanics (or even significantly better ones!) but in a made up world it wouldn't do anywhere near as well.

spectralent posted:

IMO when most people say they hate mana they mean they hate EUIV's bars-filling bloat and how the DLC model means all the systems feel really tacked on

Honestly I don't think that's true, at least for the most vocal people. On the Paradox forums they really do just hate the abstraction of it; people are even oddly insistent on stuff like precise population numbers, which seems super odd to me as something to get hung up on and yet it's a consistent complaint. In Total War titles too.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Koramei posted:

Honestly I don't think that's true, at least for the most vocal people. On the Paradox forums they really do just hate the abstraction of it; people are even oddly insistent on stuff like precise population numbers, which seems super odd to me as something to get hung up on and yet it's a consistent complaint. In Total War titles too.

I guess those people just like being wrong :geno:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Koramei posted:

It does flat country-country play the best out of any Paradox game. CK2 is characters, Vicky is internal development, HOI is war. They all overlap to some degree of course but EU4 has the best geo-political diplomatic etc gameplay out of all of them, and there's really not any other game that does it. The period in world history with an ever expanding world and so on is really suitable for the kind of game it is too. Plus the countries and historical context fill in a lot of the gaps and stop it from being bland for a lot of people; I think if there was a game with the same mechanics (or even significantly better ones!) but in a made up world it wouldn't do anywhere near as well.

Yeah I think my problem is Vicky 2 and DH Kaiserreich were the first two Paradox games I played so the lack of internal stuff sticks out to me in EU4. It just feels like if you’re not at war you’re just waiting around

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

spectralent posted:

Like I like pops but Development would be fine if it wasn't just a mana points sink and in some way reacted to things like trade and war, which it doesn't, because it's a DLC feature that's got to remain static for all eternity.

They've been very heavily teasing that this may no longer be the case after Dharma which would be cool.

But yeah agreed the only thing I inherently prefer about pops over development is allowing provinces to not be monolithic blocks of the same culture and religion.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What issues do people actually have with monarch points, anyway? You need some kind of way of limiting the player's ability to take actions and make them wait until they can do stuff again, and monarch points fill that need well.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Noir89 posted:

Yeah

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

spectralent posted:

Development itself is not a DLC feature and it is tied into most of the game's core systems.

It does react to stuff like war, especially when it comes to hordes razing towns. It's probably good that there aren't too many things that lower it, tbh. That could get frustrating fast.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 25, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

RabidWeasel posted:

But yeah agreed the only thing I inherently prefer about pops over development is allowing provinces to not be monolithic blocks of the same culture and religion.

Seeing some persistence in a pop that's migrating from one province to another would be a pretty big thing, especially in this period. Honestly I don't love it but I'm mostly ambivalent to manual promotion/conversion (not like this was a period noted for its social mobility), but if you have to move them manually too then that's a huge knock against one of the most interesting parts of the system.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Development itself is not a DLC feature and it is tied into most of the game's core systems.

I'm not sure how pedantic this is at first glance. Like yes, provinces have a development level regardless, but you can't interact with it in any without the dlc

Also development being completely static without MP investment is lame. I won't call for full on population details like someone mentioned earlier but manpower if nothing else should fluctuate through the course of a game

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

As long as I can sacrifice entire cities to the great rain god Tlaloc and build holy pyramids on the mass graves I will be satisfied.

I'm already working on a Imperator total conversion mod that takes place in post-apoc North America and one of the religions is Mexicayotl, which I believe brings back the Azteca pantheon. So... hopefully you'll be able to legit do this. I kind of want people to be able to do this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jackie D posted:

I'm not sure how pedantic this is at first glance. Like yes, provinces have a development level regardless, but you can't interact with it in any without the dlc

Also development being completely static without MP investment is lame. I won't call for full on population details like someone mentioned earlier but manpower if nothing else should fluctuate through the course of a game

The ability to interact with it is largely useless beyond the ability to seed institutions, though. I agree that not letting people interact with development unless they have Common Sense is dumb, but the ability to do so isn't actually useful for much, and I'm not sure the game would be better if development was more dynamic. I sort of prefer my provinces being largely static in value.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 25, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Jackie D posted:

you can't manually add development points to it without the DLC. them adding systems that dynamically affect the values themselves wouldn't have to be related to that.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gort posted:

What issues do people actually have with monarch points, anyway? You need some kind of way of limiting the player's ability to take actions and make them wait until they can do stuff again, and monarch points fill that need well.

imo there are two somewhat reasonable complaints regarding monarch points. One is that leaving it up to rng to determine your mp income can be an obnoxious pain, but I think that's sufficiently mitigated by letting you abdicate/disinherit/hire advisors/set point focus. Historically it's not unreasonable to say that the aptitude of the state's chief executive (ie, the monarch) was one of the most important determinants of success and failure, and it helps vary the pace of a very long campaign.

the other complaint, I guess, is that there are just too many instances where you use monarch points, and that it can be kind of lazy mechanically or just bland. Sometimes the game might actually be better served by being willing to dip its toe into a more simulationist framework. I'm more sympathetic to this angle. MEIOU's estate and development mechanics, for instance, are awkward and jury-rigged because of how much they're trying to do, but I actually think they are genuinely more interesting and more flavorful than vanilla and if they had paradox's dev polish I'd prefer it in a heartbeat

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It does react to stuff like war, especially when it comes to hordes razing towns. It's probably good that there aren't too many things that lower it, tbh. That could get frustrating fast.

Okay, sure, development isn't DLC, but the only way the game lets you meaningfully interact with development is a DLC feature, so it can't meaningfully change due to the DLC model. Like, if another DLC or update was going to make development change with trade power, or something, it'd be altering a DLC feature. I don't think I've had horde razing come up in 90% of EUIV games I've played, so I feel like in spirit development changes end up being another orphan mechanic.

I feel like it'd obviously be better for immersion and a degree of historical accuracy if development changed. It feels kind of insane that, unless you want to waste a bunch of mana, you can dominate world trade in multiple goods and have undisputed hegemony of the world and your capital is probably still poo poo.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 25, 2018

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

I have a feeling they're flipping their poo poo about the introduction of points/"mana" ala EU4, right?

Honestly when Vic3 does come out it will probably have points. That's probably what they're freaking out about more than anything, that points are here to stay and won't vanish into the ether.

Obviously Vic3 will have pop points where pops have their own pool of points which can be used for various activities such as building factories, supporting insurgencies, or joining political parties. The caveat here is that the player can't direct how the pops will spend their points at all, just influence it at best.

Just have to fix that annoying bug where the capitalists keep trying to elect a 0/0/0 Fascist just because the liberal party does a social reform. :v:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Gort posted:

It used to be worse when you had no way of manipulating or changing it, it was just an arbitrary income you had no way of influencing. It's..okay, now, but as others have said, it's morphed into kind of a lazy catch-all abstraction.

Honestly, more kinds of mana is probably preferable to figuring out why reducing autonomy doesn't cost admin but coring does, or why it's diplo to reduce war exhaustion but admin to raise stability.

EDIT: People who shut down when they unironically hear "mana" are just really bad at discussing games and have no opinions with depth, hth.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Beamed posted:

EDIT: People who shut down when they unironically hear "mana" are just really bad at discussing games and have no opinions with depth, hth.

No, you are choosing to assign a dumb pejorative term and consider it clever and you expect people to engage in discourse while being ridiculous, it's not going to happen

You can call it fart poopy points because you're so mad at them and I'm going to call you ridiculous when I read you call them fart poopy points and assume that you are not worth talking to because your brain thinks "lmao, fart poopy points, this will make Johan realize how dumb he is"

dude, mana, just like final fantasy, wow paradox is console trash for kiddies :2bong:, what biting commentary thanks for this.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 25, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I don't mind mana. What I don't like is the approach to mana Paradox took in EU4 DLC. They want all the DLC to be modular because they don't want you to have to buy ALL the DLC to enjoy the game, so they don't hook all the systems together too tightly. But the result of this is a thousand different point pools that only do one thing each and barely interact with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No, you are choosing to assign a dumb pejorative term and consider it clever and you expect people to engage in discourse while being ridiculous, it's not going to happen

You can call it fart poopy points because you're so mad at them and I'm going to call you ridiculous when I read you call them fart poopy points and assume that you are not worth talking to because your brain thinks "lmao, fart poopy points, this will make Johan realize how dumb he is"

dude, mana, just like final fantasy, wow paradox is console trash for kiddies :2bong:, what biting commentary thanks for this.

nice meltdown